• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Whitley Strieber

I believe Communion is a genuine account of some usual events having occurred. Everything told after that is just rubbish and gobble. You can see how he is gone downhill since Communion. I honestly do believe he was visited at one time in his life, but he is trying to rationalise and make sense of what happened to him. Which he can't, so he has created, a number of stories around his experiences ( all false) and this other stories were worked out by him so to help build a fan base of loyal follower's and believers and also help him earn a living from his experiences. Even though i believe all this, i still think he saw something in the 80's that changed him for the worse.

I have visited and even stayed for some time in the area where he had these experiences, in fact very close to his cabin in the woods. Every night something would occur that did not occur at home in Connecticut, or later Alabama. This June I stayed overnight and had a strange experience in that area of NY. But that does not mean Whitley is objectively reporting on his experiences or even that they occurred as described.....

The area is in SE NY State, but I do not want to say exactly where to avoid pilgrimages to this place, at least they cannot say I did....

The locals do not want any problems...

Dale in Alabama

Vonmazur, your signature is misspelled : "Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet"
Unless you meant : "Kill them swellings, God will know His own" ;)

Not according to online latin to english it is not....

"aedoema"=="Swelling" usually spelled by modern medical texts as; "Edema"

"Omnes" Genitive pl. " All..." in reference to "Eos" == "All (of) Them"

"Neca eos omnes---Kill all of them-----Deus suos (suus) agnoscet---God will know (recognize..) his own.."

Said by a Gothic (Swedish) Knight at the siege of Bersiers during the Albegnesine Crusade,

Someone asked the Bishop; "There are Catholics as well as heritics in the city, how do we tell the difference? "
Before the Bishop could answer, the Goth spoke up....

It was not invented or coined by Alexander Haig in Vietnam, he was misquoted by the pinko press morons.....
On line translators are usally completely at a loss for latin, especially Babylon and some others like that , refer to latin only with the hover feature...they give the declinsions and case forms and number and all that neat ancient lingual information...

Dale

I have visited and even stayed for some time in the area where he had these experiences, in fact very close to his cabin in the woods. Every night something would occur that did not occur at home in Connecticut, or later Alabama. This June I stayed overnight and had a strange experience in that area of NY. But that does not mean Whitley is objectively reporting on his experiences or even that they occurred as described.....

The area is in SE NY State, but I do not want to say exactly where to avoid pilgrimages to this place, at least they cannot say I did....

The locals do not want any problems...

Dale in Alabama

I have good reason, to believe Whitley experienced Hooded creatures at the Cabin. Well at least he was accurate in the description of them. He could've obtained that information from somewhere, to write his book. That is beyond my knowledge.

The fact that my Uncle and Aunt had an experience with four of them. Little men my aunt siad. My uncle said all were hooded, but he saw one near my Aunt more clearly than the others. He had a black wriggly face and all four were three to four feet tall. They weren't the Grey. They described this being to me before i heard of Whitley Steiber and they never heard of Whitley, until i spoke to them about him. So i know that experience was a real experience for them.

I have good reason, to believe Whitley experienced Hooded creatures at the Cabin. Well at least he was accurate in the description of them. He could've obtained that information from somewhere, to write his book. That is beyond my knowledge.

The fact that my Uncle and Aunt had an experience with four of them. Little men my aunt siad. My uncle said all were hooded, but he saw one near my Aunt more clearly than the others. He had a black wriggly face and all four were three to four feet tall. They weren't the Grey. They described this being to me before i heard of Whitley Steiber and they never heard of Whitley, until i spoke to them about him. So i know that experience was a real experience for them.

Kieran: I am convinced that something is odd in that place, and most likely something like your relatives experience is possible, it is just that I do not know what this has to do with the Grays, which seem to be added later by WS. I have never encountered the creatures described, but that does not mean they do not appear to others..

Dale

Not according to online latin to english it is not....

"aedoema"=="Swelling" usually spelled by modern medical texts as; "Edema"

"Omnes" Genitive pl. " All..." in reference to "Eos" == "All (of) Them"

"Neca eos omnes---Kill all of them-----Deus suos (suus) agnoscet---God will know (recognize..) his own.."

Said by a Gothic (Swedish) Knight at the siege of Bersiers during the Albegnesine Crusade,

Someone asked the Bishop; "There are Catholics as well as heritics in the city, how do we tell the difference? "
Before the Bishop could answer, the Goth spoke up....

It was not invented or coined by Alexander Haig in Vietnam, he was misquoted by the pinko press morons.....
On line translators are usally completely at a loss for latin, especially Babylon and some others like that , refer to latin only with the hover feature...they give the declinsions and case forms and number and all that neat ancient lingual information...

Dale

OK fine, please just read your signature one last time and I won't mention it ever again :cool:.
You wrote omes, it's omnes, I was just trying to help, because it's a bit funny to quote in Latin if you can't even copy it right . :confused:

Kieran: I am convinced that something is odd in that place, and most likely something like your relatives experience is possible, it is just that I do not know what this has to do with the Grays, which seem to be added later by WS. I have never encountered the creatures described, but that does not mean they do not appear to others..

Dale

So your saying the Greys is a figment of Whitley's mind, they don't exist? If you are saying that. I wouldn't disagree with you.

Have any of you read Report on Communion: An Independent Investigation of and Commentary on Whitley Strieber’s Communion by Ed Conroy? Conroy had encounters with strange helicopters, shadow people, and other strange experiences while investigating Strieber's story and writing the book.

I think Conroy would make an very interesting guest for the show. He has some great insights if you can put up with the poor video and audio from the following Austin Mufon lecture.

Austin Mufon 9/26/92 min-conf with Ed Conroy Pt1

OK fine, please just read your signature one last time and I won't mention it ever again :cool:.
You wrote omes, it's omnes, I was just trying to help, because it's a bit funny to quote in Latin if you can't even copy it right . :confused:
You are correct, I cannot get to my profile on this ancient computer, I have tried to correct it several times, but I keep encountering an error message.....I will try to correct it on another computer, one with a modern version of windows at least 21st century origin...

Dale

You are correct, I cannot get to my profile on this ancient computer, I have tried to correct it several times, but I keep encountering an error message.....I will try to correct it on another computer, one with a modern version of windows at least 21st century origin...

Dale

If you have Internet Explorer 6 or something older, there's little hope for support. You have to upgrade. Or get Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera or Safari.

If you have Internet Explorer 6 or something older, there's little hope for support. You have to upgrade. Or get Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera or Safari.

Gene: I believe that I have solved it with a better computer/browser combo. Thanks very much for the help...The computer at work is venerable and ancient enough to still have compuserve on it somewhere!!!::)

Justcurious: Thanks, you were right, but I could not get to it....I had trouble even logging on with the other computer....:redface:

PS: My sig line did not even show on the old one!!

Dale

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

So your saying the Greys is a figment of Whitley's mind, they don't exist? If you are saying that. I wouldn't disagree with you.

Kieran: In a word, yes....now I am going to down a few Guinesses and think about it!!:redface:

The problem Streiber has is that I don't think even he thought Communion would essentially create a sub-genre of the contactee experience. How does one (especially an author) walk away from that?

Not to say he's a liar, but I do think he's very creative. As a result, like many creative types, he has the ability to create his own reality. When he says things like "I don't know if this happened, but I believe it did", that is very believable. His mind is so active with things that even if something real happened, he can't help but embellish it. All the while, the truth and the glossy parts merge into one.

Really though, the less-probable parts are irrelevant. All that is needed is to know that he was visited. Anything else is superfluous.

Blowfish, worth a read for sure, and if you catch the movie as well, it's worth it for Walken alone. Believing in it though...hmmm.

Years ago, a friend of many years (with zero interest in esoterica) informed me that his younger brother, who is a CPA, had been retained by the Striebers to help them with financial matters. This would have been around the time Strieber re-located from New York to San Antonio. My friend eventually had a chance to meet Strieber and was quite impressed. He emphasized that Strieber was having problems with strange-powers-that-be tampering with his mail and so forth. I had the opportunity to ask the younger brother directly about Strieber, and he too seemed impressed with Strieber's veracity and sincerity.

I would mention that both the old friend and his brother are hard tacks kind of people, albeit with a tendency to 'have people on' at times. But I was frankly impressed.

About 3 years later, I broached the subject with my old friend. His answer was something like, "Oh, it's all baloney,"
or words to that effect.

Sooo... ??????

Blowfish, worth a read for sure, and if you catch the movie as well, it's worth it for Walken alone. Believing in it though...hmmm.

That was a really good movie. I totaly dig Chris Walken, he's so spooky, and he plays the creeeeepiest bad-guys ever.
Lindsey Crouse was a believable exasperated wife.
I have wondered alot though, if Whit is schizophrenic. This is due to things like, he says one time while he was in a vehicle looking over at the parallel vehicle, he saw a gigantic cat head down low in the back seat, which sounds insane to me. Then I read his book Majestic, and at the -end- of this fictionalized story, it goes into this trippy LSD-like, well, trippieness. Again, it struck me as insane.
I had been back and forth about Strieb, only because (well supposedly) Dr. Roger Lier was trying very hard to capture a mobile implant in our guy, which seemed to have a mnd of it's own. Is anyone besides Whit able to verify that his uncle Col. Edward Strieber -truly- had -anything- to do with ufos? Or is it more like, if I went around with the AF-uniformed picture of my late uncle, and tell everyone he was an ET-bodies SP-guard ?

I'd just love to hear him on the show here, I've got my doubts, but for one, who am I to demand answers, and second, as stated by a lot of people, I doubt he will do it, which is a shame. I guess he concludes this as a no win situation.

Years ago, a friend of many years (with zero interest in esoterica) informed me that his younger brother, who is a CPA, had been retained by the Striebers to help them with financial matters. This would have been around the time Strieber re-located from New York to San Antonio. My friend eventually had a chance to meet Strieber and was quite impressed. He emphasized that Strieber was having problems with strange-powers-that-be tampering with his mail and so forth. I had the opportunity to ask the younger brother directly about Strieber, and he too seemed impressed with Strieber's veracity and sincerity.

I would mention that both the old friend and his brother are hard tacks kind of people, albeit with a tendency to 'have people on' at times. But I was frankly impressed.

About 3 years later, I broached the subject with my old friend. His answer was something like, "Oh, it's all baloney,"
or words to that effect.

Sooo... ??????

I still dont know about this case,
the descriptions in communion were evocative and compelling, and to this day he insists its real.
but i still get a used car salesman vibe when i see him in a video clip

i just cant call it

he has been deceptive about things, for reasons that on one hand seem reasonable, and on others dont.
Its one of those cases where i wish i had that vital piece of evidence that tips me in one direction or the other, but i dont.

I still dont know about this case,
the descriptions in communion were evocative and compelling, and to this day he insists its real.
but i still get a used car salesman vibe when i see him in a video clip

i just cant call it

he has been deceptive about things, for reasons that on one hand seem reasonable, and on others dont.
Its one of those cases where i wish i had that vital piece of evidence that tips me in one direction or the other, but i dont.

Mike, Our opinions on this matter are pretty much are the same. I enjoy reading and listening to Strieber for his complex imagination and facile mind. But it seems as if he manages to maintain just enough high strangeness in his life to keep book sales going. I have also heard (from less credible sources than in my original post) that Strieber's memories have been tampered with. But that is pure speculation.

But it seems as if he manages to maintain just enough high strangeness in his life to keep book sales going. I have also heard (from less credible sources than in my original post) that Strieber's memories have been tampered with. But that is pure speculation.

Whitley has admitted to a number of people over the years that he "has a hard time telling fact from fiction" or words to that effect.

I recently re-read "Communion" after 23 years, and it retains its visceral power. He's a good writer, for sure, and the narrative fits mainly with those of many others (except for the stout blue-skinned dwarves, which no-one else reports).

But there are too many problems with him, including his oft-reported bizarre social behaviour, to completely overlook.

Back