• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Don Ecker: December 29, 2013

Well Don, I can´t offer you an audio clip of your statement in question, since I´m right now configuring a new PC and don´t have that capability for the moment. I would suggest that you download the current show and listen once again to your statement. Then, as Gene suggests, re-read my posting and Gene´s follow-up comments. It´s all there.

It´s not a question of being right, but of being correct. Your statement is incorrect. That´s all there is. I would add that only a matter of a few months ago, Tony Blair said in a BBC interview that he regretted his decision to support GW Bush in the War, and intimated that he had been duped. He also admitted that he ignored some of his own UK intelligence information and that of the French that contradicted Bush´s claims. Since then, the British Parliament has learned its lesson, and refused to support a military intervention in Syria, even though (and nota bene) the French and UK intelligence services had proof of chemical weapons in Syria. UK parliamentarians said that the reason for their unwillingness to support such an action was the bad experience of the Bush War in Iraq.

It´s pretty well historical textbook by now that the "Bush War" was engineered by the power behind the throne, Dick (Satan incarnate) Chaney, to benefit his own business interests and those of his Texas cronnies. This is not even controversial any more. The only people refuting this, and in denial of it, are the US far Right.

At the time of the 2nd Iraq War, I was on the story daily as a broadcast journalist at Swiss Radio International, and I did so in 4 languages, working from original news sources and our own correspondents. The mic I spoke into daily was connected to a network of shortwave radio transmitters with a power of about 5 megawatts. When I spoke, I knew the world was listening - literally. I had to be *very* sure that what I said was accurate, and there was no room for "shooting from the hip". Unfortunately, the Internet and "do it yourself radio" has changed all that. Here, I can only have praise for the journalistic professionalism of The Paracast.

Bob

Last edited:
I don't usually get too excited for "talk shop" episodes, but I liked this one; good listen.

There's no 2 people with exactly the same opinion on everything. The para world is especially divisive for some reason to boot. There will never be a guest that you 100% agree with.

WEAPONS OF MASS DISTRACTION
Heh. That would be something like a Miley Cyrus or Kim Kardashian I guess.

Sorry, storge, but I couldn't let that one go.

As for WMDs: I don't think anyone disputes that Hussein was nothing but a criminal who had no scruples killing and using chemical weapons on men, women and children. For that alone I'm glad he didn't escape justice, it's just that the cost was damn high.
But I also agree that it seems fishy how easy it was getting the US involved. I mean they must have known that anti Hussein forces would try to do just that. I guess both perspectives are right in some ways and speculation in others. And if there never was any disagreement, the discussion wouldn't be as interesting.

Saddam was actively supported by the US for many years, and his brutality against the Kurds, in paticular, was well known and documented. This also applies to Israeli´s policy toward the Palestinians. In both cases (and others), the countries/regimes in question were/are useful to US interests and were/are allowed to continue with impunity. That´s good, old-fashioned, pragmatic Machiavellianism. But in the case of Iraq, oil was involved. Enter Dick Chaney.....and on and on and on...

One of the most common mistakes the public makes is the belief that politicians by nature are intelligent. In many if not most cases, this is untrue. In fact, the opposite is more often the case. Or as someone once said: Intelligent people never get involved in politics, simply because they´re intelligent.

To quote a great Indian sage, Srila Prabupada: "The sum total of the efforts of a fool is foolishness".

Enter GWB.

Pax Vobiscum.

Last edited:
Once bitten, twice shy. But at Gene's request I'm posting this:

Speaking in a strong voice doesn't guarantee that the message is accurate. Don´s claim regarding the position of US-friendly governments on the issue of weapons of mass destruction prior to the (2nd) Iraq War is inaccurate.

These are the facts: The French government insisted repeatedly and officially that there were no such weapons in Iraq, as did the Swiss and the Germans, as well as others even closer to the Iraqis. This was all known in diplomatic circles, and was widely reported here in Europe.

Interestingly - and significantly - Israel was conspicuously supportive of Bush. But that's another story.

I, personally, was a guest lecturer in Political Science at a major New Jersey college, where I served as an adjunct professor, just one week before the start of the War. I recall very well the swell of anti-French sentiment over the issue at the time, including demonstrations and boycotts of French products in the US. The big right-wing radio stations in New York were actually collecting signatures against the French position to present to the French Consulate. Remember how French Fries were renamed by the rednecks as "Freedom Fries"? Just one example.

I supported and explained the European position during my college lecture, but was practically booed off the stage. Even the full professor came to me later to ask if I really believed what I was saying in support of the European position.

The French and other Europeans were very well informed about Iraq, and realized the folly of the Bush claims. The French, as America´s second closest allay after the UK, were delegated by Europe to convey European concerns about the Bush position. They did. The rest is (unfortunate) history.

Sorry Don, but your memory or rendition of this is way off. I hope you're more accurate in other of your claims.

Bob
www.switzerlandinsound.com

Vive La France

Just to make it clear, I never lost my cool or my sense of humor. I can't remember the last time someone offended me. My background is linguistics. What is interesting to me when I hear speaking or read writing is discovering where someone is 'coming from,' what they believe and what their agenda might be. We did this with Tim Good and wondered HERE if he were INSANE.

What I did with Don is just cheap 'deconstruction' where I simply point out how often he sounds like someone from the political far right. He might not like those associations, but they are there. I proved they are there by the long discussion everyone had with his statements about WMD. He STILL believes Saddam had WMD. He does NOT believe the inspectors or anyone else from Europe or ANYONE in the 'liberal' press. It is HE who has the snappy temper, and I shined a light on this as well. Actually, it is sort of cute. This is what I am pointing out. (I also predict that 40% of the people here have just googled 'shone/shined.')

If he doesn't want to come across like Dick Cheney or a cop after hippies, he should simply be aware of how political he sounds and to turn the volume down on his voice. He would seem more reasonable. In his last podcast he speaks about machine guns for ten minutes or so with quite a bit of love and affection. I know he doesn't care about anyone's opinion, and I don't think he will change any of this, but it is worthy of comment - just as commenting on Good's acceptance of any crazy story is interesting to point out.

Enzo with regards your comments, a mans political view is his right, a product of his life experience. For someone that seems to know so much you haven't took the time to ask why he has these views.

men such as Don who served their country, risked life and limb serving. Having experienced true human nature, not in book form or from a lecturer at college. In my opinion his political views stem from experience. His views moulded from situations like coming back from Vietnam after being deep in hell, to what should of been a hero ticker tape parade instead boos and hisses from poorly educated hippys condemning him instead of the BS government that sent him there. He deserves respect he has genuinely earnt it in my opinion.
As for the volume, Dons main attraction for most people is his passion. If you care about something you tend to raise your voice. Hell id be shouting now

I'm not an educated man, you clearly are. Your ignorance and lack of empathy towards Don proves to me that a fancy education isn't everything and that a liberal stance isn't always a fair one.

Last edited:
I am a Vietnam Vet. My two brothers graduated from West Point. One is a retired Lt. Col living in Brooklyn, the other is a retired two star general with many levels above top secret. If I told you know more, you would identify him.

Everything is political. People should become more aware how they come of.

With regards to you serving in Vietnam, I thank you

Everything is political. People should become more aware how they come of.

You might wanna taste your medicine before you try making Don swallow it

I don't agree with everything DON says but I'll defend his right to say it. Same goes for you. Coincidentally I feel this is why Friday nights on DMR is so good to listen to almost polar opposite hosts with open minds coming together

Last edited:
Enzo with regards your comments, a mans political view is his right, a product of his life experience. For someone that seems to know so much you haven't took the time to ask why he has these views.

men such as Don who served their country, risked life and limb serving. Having experienced true human nature, not in book form or from a lecturer at college. In my opinion his political views stem from experience. His views moulded from situations like coming back from Vietnam after being deep in hell, to what should of been a hero ticker tape parade instead boos and hisses from poorly educated hippys condemning him instead of the BS government that sent him there. He deserves respect he has genuinely earnt it in my opinion.
As for the volume, Dons main attraction for most people is his passion. If you care about something you tend to raise your voice. Hell id be shouting now

I'm not an educated man, you clearly are. Your ignorance and lack of empathy towards Don proves to me that a fancy education isn't everything and that a liberal stance isn't always a fair one.

Thanks, Moon for your eloquent post here. While Don and I sometimes have different reactions to some things, we are closer than brothers and appreciate each other in ways I wish the whole world could appreciate. I don't think of myself as a liberal, but others might apply that 'label'. I see things through my life experiences, as does Don. That has brought us closer, and my love and respect for my brother only grows. He is truly a treasure and what hurts him hurts me. We both grow through our association and learn from each other. I am not going to address all the sniping, but anyone that can't 'endure' some of the tech problems that come with 'no budget' radio, should give themselves a break and hire a sound engineer for our show-or-tune out. There is just no need to slam our imperfections and start personal disparagements.

Hi, i have a question for Christopher O'Brien - how do you spell 'tiglay', the Tibetan orbs you mentioned in the show? I've been trying to search the web for more info, but none of my spellings have turned up any results :)

i was so interested in your comments, i've been interested in the intersection of the intentional occult or 'magick' with UFO's for years and that is one concept which is new to me. I also lived in a Tibetan Buddhist Meditation Center for a couple of years. The rinpoche there mentioned some encounters with large lights in Tibetan valleys which they (in one instance a group of monks having a picnic and getting kind of loud and rowdy) interpreted as the nature spirit of the place showing their displeasure at human disturbance of their spot. However, after he had been living in the US for decades and exposed to our media and culture he 'knew' that they had actually seen a 'flying saucer'.

Recently i'm focusing more on the specifics behind the creation of tulpas or artificial elementals as they are known in the west as i feel this could shed some light on certain spontaneous paranormal events. Alexandra David Neel's account is useful but very scarce on anything a researcher could use to investigate whether or not a strange creature could have been created by someone through occult means (intentional or not). So any additional info you could provide or resources you can point me to would be immensely appreciated!! :)

(sorry - this seems pretty off topic for the way this thread is going, but it does pertain to the show!) Happy Day All, and best wishes for the coming year! steph

Well Don, I can´t offer you an audio clip of your statement in question, since I´m right now configuring a new PC and don´t have that capability for the moment. I would suggest that you download the current show and listen once again to your statement. Then, as Gene suggests, re-read my posting and Gene´s follow-up comments. It´s all there.

Well if you are speaking about other international intelligence groups ... yea Bob, the US was not the only country to think Iraq had WMD's. And Bob, (and my God I am getting tired of repeating myself) I was talking about then ... not today. And, Iraq was not doing itself any favors then either ... like thumbing their nose at the UN resolution concerning the UN "no-fly zone" that Saddam ignored. Or shooting at US and allied aircraft. Do we all remember that?

Your statement is incorrect.

Which statement is incorrect Bob? Where I stated that the US was not the only country thinking that Iraq had WMD's?

It´s pretty well historical textbook by now that the "Bush War" was engineered by the power behind the throne, Dick (Satan incarnate) Chaney, to benefit his own business interests and those of his Texas cronnies.

Oh geeze, now I get it. Dick (Satan) Cheney. Actually Bob, Cheney spells his name ... C h e n e y. I see now, it was all about oil. I guess that is why I am now paying only $2.00 a gal. for gasoline here in sunny southern California. Oh damn! Wait! No I am not, still damn near $4.00 a gal. Hell, what did Cheney do with all that gas he stole from Iraq? Hmmm ....

At the time of the 2nd Iraq War, I was on the story daily as a broadcast journalist at Swiss Radio International, and I did so in 4 languages, working from original news sources and our own correspondents. The mic I spoke into daily was connected to a network of shortwave radio transmitters with a power of about 5 megawatts. When I spoke, I knew the world was listening - literally. I had to be *very* sure that what I said was accurate, and there was no room for "shooting from the hip". Unfortunately, the Internet and "do it yourself radio" has changed all that. Here, I can only have praise for the journalistic professionalism of The Paracast.

Bob

Well gee whiz Bob, I feel like you are trying to impress me with all your media savy. Well hey, if you did all that in 4 languages I am impressed! But in my oh gee, what was it? 5 or 6 appearances on Larry King ... did you ever have Larry sign off using your name? He did me ... thanks ... I hope you enjoyed this edition of Don Ecker Live ... from Washington ....

Decker

Last edited:
The Marine rankings are Marksman, Sharpshooter and expert. Oswald scored 212 on December 21, 1956. This placed him in the Sharpshooter category. Furthermore Oswald's documented tests show him to be a much better shot when firing rapidly (improving from 76% to 91%).

Referenced where?

In the weeks leading up to the assassination, Oswald took frequent trips to the shooting range which undoubtedly improved his ability.Another old canard came up in reference to the gun being cheap and inaccurate. Actually the gun (the actual gun) was tested and was found to be just as accurate as the American military rifle being used at that time, the M-14. That same model gun that Oswald used was at that time the weapon of choice for competition by the Italian NATO rifle team.

Hate to rain on your parade Lance, but any knowledgeable firearms expert or well read enthusiast will inform you that the Italian Carcano rifle is considered junk and to compare it to the M-1 Garand or M-14 rifle is ... laughable. Here is an excerpt from Wiki-pedia.

<After reports of inadequate performance at both short and long ranges[2][3] during the campaigns in Italian North Africa (1924-1934), and the Second Italo-Abyssinian War (1934), the Italian army introduced a new short rifle in 1938, the Modello 1938, together with a new cartridge in 7.35×51mm caliber. In addition to the slightly larger caliber, Italian ordnance designers introduced a spitzer-type bullet for the new cartridge, with the tip filled with aluminum to produce an unstable (tumbling) projectile upon impact in soft tissue (a design most likely copied from the .303 British Mk VII bullet).

However, the Italian government was unable to successfully mass-produce the new arms in adequate quantities before the onset of war, and in 1940, all rifle and ammunition production reverted to 6.5 mm, but no 7.35 mm Mod. 38 rifles nor carbines were ever re-barreled to the old 6.5×52mm caliber. Some Italian troops serving on the Russian front were armed with 7.35 mm Mod. 1938 rifles, but exchanged them in 1942 for 6.5×52 mm arms.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcano>

I do know something about firearms.

Decker

Back