• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Video Games

I'm with you Snidely, Shenmue and Shenmue 2 were responsible for introducing me to open world gaming, plus they had a kick ass control scheme, great music, and an interesting plot. I'll be waiting for Shenmue 3 until I keel over. If it ever comes out I will immediately buy it and whatever console it comes out for. I'd love to see it end up on Kickstarter or something, I think there's enough interest out there for it.

As for what I'm playing right now, I just picked up Mass Effect 3 again with the release of the Omega DLC and must say that I was somewhat disappointed, Leviathan was much better imho. The Mass Effect series remains one of my all time favorites, I'll be interested to see what they do with a new game in the ME universe. I'm currently playing Fallout 3 again since my first play through was interrupted by my PC taking a crap on me. I also recently finished Batman Arkham City and it was probably the best super hero type game I've ever played. When I finish up with Fallout, I'll be playing Sleeping Dogs.

If I had to name the game I'm looking forward to the most in the coming year it would be Watchdogs. I think the game could be awesome, if it's done right.

I'm with you Snidely, Shenmue and Shenmue 2 were responsible for introducing me to open world gaming, plus they had a kick ass control scheme, great music, and an interesting plot. I'll be waiting for Shenmue 3 until I keel over. If it ever comes out I will immediately buy it and whatever console it comes out for. I'd love to see it end up on Kickstarter or something, I think there's enough interest out there for it.

As for what I'm playing right now, I just picked up Mass Effect 3 again with the release of the Omega DLC and must say that I was somewhat disappointed, Leviathan was much better imho. The Mass Effect series remains one of my all time favorites, I'll be interested to see what they do with a new game in the ME universe. I'm currently playing Fallout 3 again since my first play through was interrupted by my PC taking a crap on me. I also recently finished Batman Arkham City and it was probably the best super hero type game I've ever played. When I finish up with Fallout, I'll be playing Sleeping Dogs.

If I had to name the game I'm looking forward to the most in the coming year it would be Watchdogs. I think the game could be awesome, if it's done right.
by the way, love your avatar!

Cool too see some gamers in the forums -- even tabletop, no less.

Anyone do any development?

Professionally? No. Though I am interested in game development, it's more from a story telling and game mechanic perspective, especially since I don't know that much about coding. I've been thinking about learning Java and putting together a mobile game for something to do in my free time. I have done some alpha and beta testing for various MMO's, but nothing that I was paid for.

It is cool to see some gamers on this forum, I knew there were a few but I had no idea we had so many, especially ones that are into MMO's. I honestly never could get into WoW, the last MMO I played seriously was Star Wars Galaxies and that has been shuttered for awhile now. I'm interested in checking out Blade and Soul when it comes out, also the new Chris Roberts Star Citizen project looks amazing and I loved Wing Commander back in the day so I'm looking forward to that as well. All in all 2013 is shaping up to be a hell of a year for gaming, especially since so many quality games that were supposed to ship in 2012 got pushed back.

I've been thinking about learning Java and putting together a mobile game for something to do in my free time.

You might want to check out the Unity3D engine. It has a fairly intuitive UI, and one of the options that you can use for your scripting code is a proprietary version of JavaScript (containing some program specific commands). Tutorials are everywhere, and it'd be a good first experience.

If you've got no experience with 3D modeling, that's not really a big deal, either. Download a copy of Blender and keep your first game concept simple. Following some tutorials, of which there are also countless many, you'd be able to put some simple assets together in a couple of weeks.

Both programs are free, and Blender is open source. The free version of Unity is not "full" in that some high-end features are missing (I believe you can only publish to web, and global illumination, ambient occlusion, and a few material shaders are unavailable) but it's still entirely usable to complete a project.

You might want to check out the Unity3D engine. It has a fairly intuitive UI, and one of the options that you can use for your scripting code is a proprietary version of JavaScript (containing some program specific commands). Tutorials are everywhere, and it'd be a good first experience.

If you've got no experience with 3D modeling, that's not really a big deal, either. Download a copy of Blender and keep your first game concept simple. Following some tutorials, of which there are also countless many, you'd be able to put some simple assets together in a couple of weeks.

Both programs are free, and Blender is open source. The free version of Unity is not "full" in that some high-end features are missing (I believe you can only publish to web, and global illumination, ambient occlusion, and a few material shaders are unavailable) but it's still entirely usable to complete a project.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to check these programs out. So, how about yourself? I think I've seen you mention that you like to listen to these paranormal type programs while reviewing your code so what are you working on? Are you a pro or more of a hobbyist? I'm not asking for specifics if you're wary of putting your ideas out there or are involved in a NDA but I must admit I am curious, especially since if I remember right you're from Ohio and I'm not really aware of many game companies that are based in this great state of ours.

I'm a VC&D student, and mobile game design in one of my focus areas (digital video production, graphic design, and 3D design & animation being the others). Any time I mention code, I am talking about scripting, and I am 90% likely to be talking about Unity. I've not done any game work commercially, everything i work on is school related (currently a pinball game and a "board game").

There are quite a few indy game companies in Ohio, particularly around my area (Greater Cleveland area) and closer to Columbus. There is a very active Cleveland Game Devs meetup group that, obviously, meets up once or twice a month in addition to organizing local participation in local, national and global game jams. Several of the members are full-time indy game developers. You can find more information about the group on the meetup.com page or the Facebook page. If you're unfamiliar with the concept of a game jam, check out the official website for the Global Game Jam, which is coming up in January. People of all skill levels, including zero, are encouraged to participate in the jams, even if just to observe some of the process of game development.

I will just stick with my EVE :D
Internet spaceships is very serious business after all.

EVE RETRIBUTION!!!

lol and the so called bad guy is flying a Widow in this video.. Its a black Op's Battleship (I fly one myself), but it is almost never used as a combat ship.. it is for making what we call a jump bridge for Black op's fleets.. meh play the game you will get the idea.

At the moment, playing Planetside 2, Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3 and Diablo 3 still, Fallout:New Vegas and I still have my WoW suscription ..meh

At the moment, playing Planetside 2, Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3 and Diablo 3 still, Fallout:New Vegas and I still have my WoW suscription ..meh

There is a saying among EVE players "WOW gives you a cookie win or lose, but in EVE, we will take your cookie and laugh at you for bringing one in the first place"

The best way to describe EVE to some one who has not played it before, is to punch them in the face and steal their wallet... When I go to the trade system called "Jita" in game I am always reminded of Obi-Wan Kenobi and what he says about Mos Eisley Spaceport "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." Then again I feel the same way when I have to go to the Bank.

I thought I'd share a rather different winning combination from a recent game of Chess Titans ( included in Windows 7 ). I know most people these days find chess boring, but for those who don't, this was won at level 8 where I usually play and win some -- lose some. I actually tend to win more at the max settings. I don't know why. Level 8 has surprised me many times with creative comebacks where I think I've got it nailed and poof ... the next thing I know the stupid game is killing me. In this game I sacrificed a knight ( seen on the left ) to open up the corridor down the right hand side. The machine gained a major piece in exchange for 4 pawns ( a fair trade ) but lost the positional advantage.

ChessTitans-01.jpg

Even low rated engines like Chess Titans looks at
hundreds of thousands of possible moves per-second,
yet somehow our simple pattern recognition human intelligence
still manages to win once in while. I find this amazing.

Last edited:
I thought I'd share a rather different winning combination from a recent game of Chess Titans ( included in Windows 7 ). I know most people these days find chess boring, but for those who don't, this was won at level 8 where I usually play and win some -- lose some. I actually tend to win more at the max settings. I don't know why. Level 8 has surprised me many times with creative comebacks where I think I've got it nailed and poof ... the next thing I know the stupid game is killing me. In this game I sacrificed a knight ( seen on the left ) to open up the corridor down the right hand side. The machine gained a major piece in exchange for 4 pawns ( a fair trade ) but lost the positional advantage.

ChessTitans-01.jpg

Even low rated engines like Chess Titans looks at
hundreds of thousands of possible moves per-second,
yet somehow our simple pattern recognition human intelligence
still manages to win once in while. I find this amazing.
Used to play Chess a fair bit, can't say I am very good at it but I play from time to time ... yeah the computer kicks my ass

Ah I was just about to create a thread for video games till I stumbled upon this one.

I'm into gaming big time, I even take pride in the term "computer geek"

My favourite games of all time includes The elder scrolls series, Fallout series, Dragon Age series, Mass effect series, Fifa, League of legends, Tombraider reboot, Metro, final fantasy series, Witcher series etc.....the list just goes on and on...

One game I'm really excited about is "Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn". Check out the trailer and tell me you are not amazed. I'm getting my copy next week, can't wait :D

Last edited:
I am sure they are good games, but I never understood how you could have "final" fantasy two, three, four etc :) unless they are "prequels" in which case I can see that "final fantasy two" sounds a lot better than "penultimate fantasy" :)
Sorry I can't help taking things literally, as one of my favourite books as a child (and still is) was Ameilia Badelia*

*Amelia Bedelia (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I must be getting old or my tastes have changed but I just cannot get into Grand Theft Auto 5. I watched the opening sequence where you rob a bank and shoot up police and I was almost physically sick. Instead of jumping for joy over a really cool and exciting game I was left thinking about how dehumanizing the experience was. This is a game that made almost a billion dollars on its first day of release. :eek:

Any league of legends players here on the paracast forums? Would love to play a game. My summoner name is "MrCrazyfists" on the euw server

Back