• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Video Games

Angel of Ioren

Friendly Skeptic
It's come up in a few posts that some people on the forum play video games. So I figured that I would start a section so that we can talk about stuff, share Xbox Live gamer tags and PSN IDs, and suggest games to other forum members.

So, let me get the ball rolling. I finished Halo Reach this weekend and I had a great time with it. Tomorrow I'll be picking up FIFA 11 for the PS3.

What games are you guys looking forward too?

It's come up in a few posts that some people on the forum play video games. So I figured that I would start a section so that we can talk about stuff, share Xbox Live gamer tags and PSN IDs, and suggest games to other forum members.

So, let me get the ball rolling. I finished Halo Reach this weekend and I had a great time with it. Tomorrow I'll be picking up FIFA 11 for the PS3.

I'm not much of a gamer but I do have a World of Warcraft account. My wife made me get one cause she is a World of Warcraft fanatic. I also notice she is having a load of fun with Starcraft so I ma try that one. I"m a sports nut and so I like NCAA Football and Madden. Also, enjoyed the NCAA baseball game for the PS2 from a couple of years ago.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

tyder001 said:
I'm not much of a gamer but I do have a World of Warcraft account. My wife made me get one cause she is a World of Warcraft fanatic. I also notice she is having a load of fun with Starcraft so I ma try that one. I"m a sports nut and so I like NCAA Football and Madden. Also, enjoyed the NCAA baseball game for the PS2 from a couple of years ago.

My alltime favorite is an oldie but a goodie. Duke Nukem 3D! I loved that game. I found a "god" mode and would just walk though and blast aliens and play the inside jokes. I also liked "Redneck Rampage" so that might give ya the idea I'm kind of quirky when it comes to video games. Quake and "Outlaws" I think Outlaws is correct. Anyway, I love the shooter and put it in "god" mode and having a blast. :cool:

Battlefield Bad Company 2, probably the coolest game I have ever played. The fully destructible environment, vehicle and aircraft choices, and the vast assortment of weaponry is just awesome. There are 5 online play modes and the actual game story line is pretty good too. I am thinking of buying Red Dead Redemption next.

I'm anticipating/dreading Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3 sucked up a huge amount of my life and I fear not getting anything done when it comes out. I love Left 4 Dead 2, though don't play online much as I'm not that great and it's mildly embarassing being kicked out of games for being rubbish by 14 year olds! It's a good game to dip in and out of. I also love Borderlands, it's great fun, and I love the Mad Max meets Aliens look of it, though I don't play that online as I've heard bad things about it online (in terms of other players rather than game play itself).

I'm anticipating/dreading Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3 sucked up a huge amount of my life and I fear not getting anything done when it comes out. I love Left 4 Dead 2, though don't play online much as I'm not that great and it's mildly embarassing being kicked out of games for being rubbish by 14 year olds! It's a good game to dip in and out of. I also love Borderlands, it's great fun, and I love the Mad Max meets Aliens look of it, though I don't play that online as I've heard bad things about it online (in terms of other players rather than game play itself).

The online experience depends on who you play with. I'm surprised at how good my online experience with Halo Reach has been. I'm worried about Fallout NV as well as Obsidian has a track record of ruining sequels of games that were originally made by other developers.

Doom baby.

17 years on and it still has a thriving community. Some of the threads on this forum have thousands of replies. That's not for Doom 3, but for the original Doom/Doom2 games!

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/index.php?

Thousands of mods/levels to play with hundreds added every year. Even I have a few in here.;)

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

And since the original source code for the game was released by id software years ago, literally dozens of source ports.

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/index.php?platform=2

And that's just for Windows. There's even more if you include the many other platforms including consoles.

Dragon Age Origins 2. KNights of the Old Republic (Star Wars mmorpg). I currently play and make money at Vanguard Saga of Heroes.

I'm also currently waiting on Mass Effect 2 and Tombraider Underworld to come in the mail. I was playing games off of gametap. A company that lets you play around 1000 games for 9 bucks a month. Most the games suck, but there's some real good ones on there too.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
My alltime favorite is an oldie but a goodie. Duke Nukem 3D! I loved that game. I found a "god" mode and would just walk though and blast aliens and play the inside jokes. I also liked "Redneck Rampage" so that might give ya the idea I'm kind of quirky when it comes to video games. Quake and "Outlaws" I think Outlaws is correct. Anyway, I love the shooter and put it in "god" mode and having a blast. :cool:

Duke Nukem is what got me back into video games hardcore back when I was around 19. I took a break from them for awhile. You HAVE to play Shadow Warrior. Same makers of Duke, and at least as funny, if not more. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwOYJ2ctPsQ[/youtube] hopefully I remembered how to embed vids, it's been awhile.

There's an updated graphic version of Duke Nukem 3d btw. I played it a couple years ago.

I play call of duty mainly, don't have time for much else. I did play Battlefield Bad Company 2 but its plagued with lag issues and is almost unplayable even though I have the fastest link available in the UK.

I'm a terrible RPG fiend. Have about 20 of the blessed things ... only completed 3 or 4 maybe. Love them to bits but am not terribly good at them :D. Anyhow, at the moment, I'm in the middle of a wee RPG called Arx Fatalis. Very tricky and not for a newbie I guess but great fun. I've just finished a treasure hunt and am just off to pick up whatever it is the treasure is. There is practically no leading with the hand so you really have to think on your feet ... or someone elses.

Annyway here is some footage from Arx Fatalis ...

Oh and this was apparently meant to be a unofficial continuation of the Ultima series. So those that who know Ultima will may want to have a go at it

underschtick

ps I'm a Duke Nukem fan too ... and apparently Duke Nukem Forever WILL come out ... maybe next year!!! Well I never ...

I'm a terrible RPG fiend. Have about 20 of the blessed things ... only completed 3 or 4 maybe. Love them to bits but am not terribly good at them :D. Anyhow, at the moment, I'm in the middle of a wee RPG called Arx Fatalis. Very tricky and not for a newbie I guess but great fun. I've just finished a treasure hunt and am just off to pick up whatever it is the treasure is. There is practically no leading with the hand so you really have to think on your feet ... or someone elses.

Annyway here is some footage from Arx Fatalis ...

Oh and this was apparently meant to be a unofficial continuation of the Ultima series. So those that who know Ultima will may want to have a go at it

underschtick

ps I'm a Duke Nukem fan too ... and apparently Duke Nukem Forever WILL come out ... maybe next year!!! Well I never ...

Speaking of RPGs I think the most underrated game I've played on 360 is Lost Odyssey. I loved that game. It averages slightly less than 80% at Metacritic but it's a 95% in my book.

Yeah, I forgot to mention mine.

My Xbox Live gamer tag is angelofioren.

My PS3 PSN ID is angel_of_ioren.

I just picked up FIFA 11 on the PS3 if anyone is interested in playing. I'm also playing Halo Reach on the 360.

How's the DLC for Mass Effect 2? Worth buying, or is it only like an hour more gameplay? I'm still waiting on ME2 to come in the mail. I got Tombraider Underworld yesterday, which I ordered AFTER ME2. Hope I didn't get screwed. I ordered it used via Amazon.com.

If you haven't played Dragon Age Origins yet, I highly recommend it. Same makers as Mass Effect. Same company at least.

How's the DLC for Mass Effect 2? Worth buying, or is it only like an hour more gameplay? I'm still waiting on ME2 to come in the mail. I got Tombraider Underworld yesterday, which I ordered AFTER ME2. Hope I didn't get screwed. I ordered it used via Amazon.com.

If you haven't played Dragon Age Origins yet, I highly recommend it. Same makers as Mass Effect. Same company at least.

The Lair of the Shadow Broker is well worth the $10 - it was a good 3 hours for me. Dragon Age is coming out with a special edition that includes all the DLC on October 26 - I may pick it up.

Bioware is an awesome developer - Canadian too!

Back