• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

‘Remote viewers’ in Nevada help solve California murder

Also you they have been seem to be editing and adding things to your posts after they have been posted. Not just the cleaning up of spelling or vocab but adding whole new parts.

I'm just curious: Why did I need to explain it so many times before you acknowledged it?
Because i believe you actually meant what you said in your original post and that you "clarified it" or changed your meaning of it to cover up the snideness of the OP. If you read what you originally wrote it is very clear in its content and form. Very hard for anyone to take it any other way. I wanted you to either come clean and admit that you really do feel that way about psychics or at least appologise for making misleading comments. Of which you did neither. Just arrogantly expecting everybody to automatically "know" what you meant.
You have just demonstrated to me that you are prone to "cleaning up" your posts or adding things to alter the meaning of them slightly so i am wondering why, if you thought the OP was not clear enough when you wrote it, that you didn't clean that one up?

If I change my posts, I make a note of it. Trust me, if I was doing stuff like that, Gene would ban me himself.

So you're admitting that you were just being a troll? That really isn't cool.

Okay, I'm fed up of this. By the very definition of the word, a psychic is someone that claims to have paranormal powers: Psychic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition of PSYCHIC

: of or relating to the psyche : psychogenic
: lying outside the sphere of physical science or knowledge :immaterial, moral, or spiritual in origin or force
: sensitive to nonphysical or supernatural forces and influences : marked by extraordinary or mysterious sensitivity, perception, or understanding

That's it. I stand by the statement. Psychics are BS. There, I own it, and stop being a troll.

I have the set of books. I made it through the first and half way through the second. I think I've listened to most of the lectures and interviews. I've suggested that he would be an excellent guest if they could get him on.

I have a lot of questions about the whole thing. To just cut to the chase, Tom is essentially claiming to be a pan-dimensional being with jobs and lives in other realities. Understand, that is not his main theme, he doesn't really promote himself as such, that is what I have gleaned from his lectures, interviews, and the books. He seems to be gathering a following and doing more lectures lately.

See? This is where y'all lose me. Simplistic answers. Just find an old washed out magician or a youtube video and knock down the straw men and declare victory and exit the field. Common debunking tactic. Ignore any and all research or degrade the folks doing it and find your closest neighborhood pop scientist to back it up. No muss, no full and no nasty critical thinking (except for one way) required. Good job! :cool:

I am honestly very skeptical of psychics. But, I have looked at much research from places as diverse as Stanford University to India to Duke to Europe. To simply dismiss everything as a brain fart is not only dishonest it's kind of silly really. But, I'll let all the "critical thinkers" :p have their day. After all it's pretty simple really. Just throw out the word science or logic and go on your merry way enligthening us heatherns. :D

You didn't watch the videos, did you Steve.
Derren Brown is a mentalist - basically a psychic that tell you he's fooling you. Randi doesn't appear in any of those videos.

I am honestly very skeptical of psychics. But, I have looked at much research from places as diverse as Stanford University to India to Duke to Europe. To simply dismiss everything as a brain fart is not only dishonest it's kind of silly really. But, I'll let all the "critical thinkers" :p have their day. After all it's pretty simple really. Just throw out the word science or logic and go on your merry way enligthening us heatherns. :D

It's pretty easy to just say that though, right? It makes you come off as someone that is "open minded."

No Angelo I didn't but it's because I can't at work. I didn't think Randi was part of it. I was simply stating what I've seen in general with this mindset. As for the open minded part? Well, yeah I think I'm pretty open minded. I've seen plenty of open minded skeptics. Paul Kimball is fairly open minded although his political passion and passion in general tend (imo) to get in his way. But, I don't know him so I can't really say. Nick Redfern is not a true believer (I don't think) but he seems to be open minded. Anytime you identify yourself with a movement. Be it Christian, Atheist, Muslim or any other thing that you have to support. You are fooling yourself if you think you are completely open minded. I'm honest enough to tell you I have bias. Matter of fact I've found in my job that only truly insane people are completely sure of themselves. Well, then there are some that are just not honest. Anyway, just my opinion and as I always say "opinions are like ass holes everybody has one."

That's all well and good, but you see what you did there. You judged the videos without watching them. That's not very open minded, is it?
Watch the first video - it's three mediums clearly trying to use the information on the internet or cold reading to pretend they know about the spirits in a certain building.

The second is a psychic basically throwing everything out there and seeing what sticks.

The last one is part one of Derren Brown talking about how cold reading works and how psychics delude themselves into thinking they have something special.

That's the same thing I'm talking about Angel. Get a fake or a silly little illusion and then extrapolate from there that it proves every case and you don't have to do any more thinking or research at all. By the way some pretty impressive scientist have found common ground on PSI over the years. Proven? No. But, debunked? NO! But, as a certain often maligned writing has said "They all (even me and you) heap teachers to their own ears.) :cool:

No Angelo I didn't but it's because I can't at work. I didn't think Randi was part of it. I was simply stating what I've seen in general with this mindset. As for the open minded part? Well, yeah I think I'm pretty open minded. I've seen plenty of open minded skeptics. Paul Kimball is fairly open minded although his political passion and passion in general tend (imo) to get in his way. But, I don't know him so I can't really say. Nick Redfern is not a true believer (I don't think) but he seems to be open minded. Anytime you identify yourself with a movement. Be it Christian, Atheist, Muslim or any other thing that you have to support. You are fooling yourself if you think you are completely open minded. I'm honest enough to tell you I have bias. Matter of fact I've found in my job that only truly insane people are completely sure of themselves. Well, then there are some that are just not honest. Anyway, just my opinion and as I always say "opinions are like ass holes everybody has one."
Well said Steve.
But as we all know, Angelo, you cannot admit that you have any biases. You are basically a coward. You like to think you are an open minded sceptic but when I see what you post including the videos I have no other choice but to label you a Pseudosceptical Denier.
Enthralling us with videos of hack magicians and mentalist who espouse your way of thinking. There isn't even any point watching them any more. They all basically say the same thing . It's got to the point now that i refuse to watch them.
At least you, Steve have looked at a variety of sources and opinions. And whilst I haven't always agreed with Paul Kimball I have to admire the way he was able to look at what happened to him on his Ghost Hunter program and think a bit differently about things. At least he was out there experiencing it first hand.
That is what i was trying to get Angelo to do. Go out and research these things yourself, do your home work. Be a true scientist, examine ALL of the data yourself. But apparently he gets all bent out of shape when people say that to him.

Back