• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

‘Remote viewers’ in Nevada help solve California murder

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[I'm fairly certain that Angelo (and our other esteemed skeptics at the Paracast), might not believe (or like) the following story--if true, of course --chris]

Article HERE:

By Joe Schoenmann
When practitioners of paranormal “remote viewing” gather here in June, they will enjoy a little more swagger than in the past.

Last year, a California court convicted a swindler of murder in a case that was solved partly, the lead police investigator said, with the help of remote viewing, a type of extrasensory perception (ESP) that was studied by the U.S. military starting in the 1970s as a way to gather intelligence.

Remote viewing calls for people to look at random numbers and letters and then let their mind wander, during which they will be able to conjure mental images of people, events and places.

Dozens of books have been written about remote viewing by those who were part of the government program, all of them talking about the government’s funding of theStargate programfor some 20 years.

In 1979, during a discussion of remote viewing in theHouse Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Rep. Charlie Rose, D-N.C., surmised that “it seems to me a hell of a cheap radar system. And if the Russians have it and we don’t, we’re in serious trouble.”

Military applications aside, others seek out remote viewers for reasons ranging from business interests to locating missing people.

In 2006, Robert Knight,a Las Vegas-based photographerknown in rock ’n’ roll circles for concert photos and portraits of iconic guitarists, was worried that he hadn’t heard from his close buddy, Stephen B. Williams, for more than a month and was concerned for his well-being. The two had been friends since childhood, and as Knight built a photography career around music, Williams became a successful DJ, pulling down $250,000 a year at a Denver radio station in the 1980s.

Knight, who said he became a student of paranormal sciences as a teenager after watching a flying saucer rise out of the water off a Hawaiian beach, turned to Angela Thompson Smith in 2006 for help in finding Williams.

He knew Smith as a teacher of remote viewing, and she apparently knew her stuff. From the late 1980s through 1992, she worked with Princeton University’s Engineering Anomalies Research team. She then moved to Boulder City and became research coordinator for the Bigelow Foundation, which engaged in paranormal research for its founder, Robert T. Bigelow, owner of the Budget Suites of America chain and founder of Bigelow Aerospace.

Smith, who foundedNevada Remote Viewing Groupin 2002, is one of the scheduled speakers when theInternational Remote Viewing Associationgathers atGreen Valley Ranch Resortto commemorate remote viewing’s 40th anniversary. The keynote speaker: Dr. Christopher “Kit” Green, a former analyst at the CIA’s Office of Scientific and Weapons Intelligence and the CIA contract monitor assigned to a significant remote viewing project conducted by theStanford Research Institute.

When Knight came to her in 2006, Smith and six remote viewers she had trained went to work. They included a retired airline captain from Henderson; a retired U.S. Air Force nurse from Dayton, Ohio; a civilian Air Force contractor from Texas; a civil engineer from Virginia; a photographer from Baltimore, Md.; and a university librarian from Provo, Utah. Each was given a coordinate — a random series of letters and numbers — on which to focus.

The viewers each did from one to three remote viewing sessions of about an hour each. They were seeking information unknown at the time, working blind with only the random numbers and letters provided by Smith to focus on. Smith began the work with an initial viewing of the missing man, a follow-up viewing of the suspect’s location, then a profile of the suspect. The other viewers helped seek possible accomplices and the location of the suspect after he fled.

The images they gleaned painted a picture of a body in water, perhaps in criss-crossed netting, near Catalina Island off the Southern California coast. Knight didn’t want to believe it.

He received Smith’s report while in California on a photo job. That night in his hotel room, Knight’s wife caught the tail end of a newscast about an unidentified body found off Catalina Island. He knew immediately it was his friend.

The next morning he called the county morgue.

“I know the identity of that body,” he said.

The nonchalant voice on the other end of the phone sounded skeptical: “Oh, you do? And how would you know that?”

Knight said the body would be missing three fingers from its left hand, the result of an accident in ninth-grade shop class almost 50 years earlier.

The lady put him on hold, then came back. Indeed, the decomposed body was missing three fingers from the left hand.... REST OF ARTICLE HERE:

Well, there's a million dollars waiting for them at the JREF if they can repeat what they claim.

No one has ever been able to actually prove this though.

GO to 9:20 to see the part about remote viewing. Watch the rest of it if you want to see how ALL psychics are B.S. Well not all - the ones that admit that it's all a trick are at least honest with people.

It's funny. Some people :rolleyes: say well I'm rationale and I'm open minded. But, when presented with something contrary to their worldview they rush to find an alternate explanation. They don't stop and consider what is being said or how something might work. They simply run to (as a certain ancient wisdom says) "heap teachers to their own ears." Then of course they can tell others not to be so narrow minded and be open to alternative explanations. Of course that means "Other" people. Not logical people like them. :p I have a friend who is a natural born skeptic. He's also a bona fide scientist. He would actually read the research and do the math. But, then again that's the difference between pop science and the worship of scientism and a real scientist isn't it?

Careful not to fall off that pedestal when you step down. Look, you can call me closed minded all you want, but if remote viewing were real, someone would be making money off of it to find oil deposits.
It's complete BS and this article is just a fluff piece on a slow news day. You can talk all you want about being open minded, but this stuff is proven garbage.

Careful not to fall off that pedestal when you step down. Look, you can call me closed minded all you want, but if remote viewing were real, someone would be making money off of it to find oil deposits.
It's complete BS and this article is just a fluff piece on a slow news day. You can talk all you want about being open minded, but this stuff is proven garbage.

I have to say thats my first question, why are there no agencies making big bucks finding lost jewellery pets etc

As far as I know, some people are making some money with RV. But actually I don't know how, because it doesn't seem to be very reliable. As are most experiments in "normal" psychology, because the mind is not very reliable itself. I've seen some independent tests done with Joe McMoneagle for example, which always turn out something like 50% of details quite correct, the rest is jumbled up. I guess you could say so it's all nonsense. But if you take the time and look at the images he draws and the impressions he gets, there are always a few details that are just too close to be coincidence (IMO). I did a test proposed on a german RV site once myself (just because I knew people like Angelo would roll their eyes at the mere thought) and for some reason, the color green and the feeling of healthy dominated the images I got. The picture was of a lush green meadow with some beautiful flowers. I let the random picture generator give out some more pics, and not much green there. I'm sure that won't impress anyone but me, but that's how it was.

Of course if they don't take the Randii test, then it can't be real, can it? What a load of bullshit!! And of course the bullshit clowns (Penn & Teller) are the experts on remote viewing. I mean they have practiced the art with people like Joe McMoneagle and Ingo Swann right?
They should stick to sleight of hand and the art of deceiving, subjects where they are more knowledgeable and befitting their meagre talents. Maybe Penn Gillette could work with Donald Trump as his ...oh wait he's already tried that credibility enhancer hasn't he.
And so if there is no-one making money or discovering oil with RV then it is BS. Is that right? Dear oh dear. Sounds like the words of a closed minded debunker to me.
Maybe in the world you have constructed for yourself, Angelo. Surrounding yourself with all the things that help you sleep at night, Keeping you safe from things that might harm you like the possibility that there may things that you cannot explain or control. Heaven help you that other people's worlds may abound in aspects of things that don't exist in yours. I suppose it helps you to surround yourself with like minded naysayers like "Papa Smurf" Randi and his JREF smurfettes. And after all it's just too easy to ignore the reams of evidence for the existence of RV and Psychic ability. Or the hundreds of thousands of people healed by people like Arigo. (You should here the bullshit explanation the Randi people give for that!!!).
Oh well, as long as there is no such thing as the paranormal or ghosts or UFOs or psychics in YOUR world then I guess you will be okay. Nothing to worry about there. But you see while you may think the rest of the world has to be an exact mirror to your world, that is, a world sans any of the aforementioned. Unfortunately the world that some other people inhabit DO contain those things and they have experienced, first hand, the existence of ghosts, been healed by someone like Arigo, or have been to a psychic who had told them things about themselves that no-one could possibly know. Just because these things are shut out of your world, does NOT mean that they don't exist. Only in your world and people like you, do they not exist.
And you will never find proof either, because you don't want to. As much as you pretend to be open mined. You are not. Until you have a personal experience with one or more of these things you will remain as close minded as the day is long.
But go ahead. Keep treating those of us who have experienced these things as delusional or as crackpots or whatever Randism you can conjure up. You see, those who have truly open minds or HAVE experienced the strange or supernatural, read your comments, your ignorant and lazy comments about RV being BS and feel bemusement and some pity that there are still people out there who continue to comment negatively about subjects that they know precious little about. You prefer to let media driven whores like P&T be your safe answer.
Why? Because they live in similar Insulated and safe worlds and share similar closed minded opinions.
I prefer to let first hand experience and the seeking out of people with true knowledge of those subjects be my guide.

It's funny. Some people :rolleyes: say well I'm rationale and I'm open minded. But, when presented with something contrary to their worldview they rush to find an alternate explanation. They don't stop and consider what is being said or how something might work. They simply run to (as a certain ancient wisdom says) "heap teachers to their own ears." Then of course they can tell others not to be so narrow minded and be open to alternative explanations. Of course that means "Other" people. Not logical people like them. :p I have a friend who is a natural born skeptic. He's also a bona fide scientist. He would actually read the research and do the math. But, then again that's the difference between pop science and the worship of scientism and a real scientist isn't it?

Hi there Steve, long time no see lol!! :) Well said mate. Unfortunately if it doesn't happen in Angelo's world, well then it just doesn't happen. And people who claim anything paranormal whether it be an experience or something like RV just cause him to trot out ye olde Randiiii teste. Or to find some washed up TV hack's video to disprove decades of evidence and results. (I don't think you realise, Angelo, how lame your argument looks. Sorry.)
Anyway Steve, keep up the good work and don't let those naysayers bring you down!:)

I personally know a man who does remote viewing in North Carolina where I used to live who was my teacher 6 years back. He held classes on discovering and moving one's own energy (chi) for healing purposes. He told me he could communicate with other RVers across the planet in Asia.

I believed him because he also was a physical empath that would energetically enter my body (without drugs) and tell me things about myself that only I knew and he would also share what I could do to alleviate my physical and emotional issues.

See people like him do not do what they do to find "oil deposits" as said above or winning lotto numbers because there are ethic codes among the truly gifted. They know the invisible laws of the universe and how they are supposed to use the talents.

Good to see you posting some again Pair. It does get tiring reading the same old simplistic b.s. here. Some folks here think by cursing and slinging snot (or Slangin snot) as we say in the south. :p that they can simply shout down all opposing view points. Still, some of what they think (something came from nothing and that biological matter can somehow produce an intention that has no mass and no weight but just happens because of some chemicals.) Yet, they are "scientific" but years of faith and hope and meditation and prayer and research counts for nothing. An old washed up magician carries more weight with them than a Nobel prize winning scientist. A silly little fella dressing up as darth vader and slinging propaganda carries more weight than theologians and people who think deeply about reality. Oh well, it's a message board and if you get the 'pack" to agree then you are right I guess. Anyway, I will continue to question but I am wondering lately if this board is worth it. I've noticed that when some folks are challenged by data that doesn't fit their worldview then they just ignore or deride the data. I'm not talking test tubes here as much as history and experience. Anyway, I think some people are just intimidated by the loud and obnoxious ones and it's easier to just ignore it and move on. But, we will see. I tend to post in spurts and then kind of pull back. I can talk civilly all day long to anybody that wants to dialog. But, the simplistic bullies just cause ya to want to turn it all off. Anyway, I've talked to much this AM already and it's time to get to work.

Steve.

Yeah i know what you mean Steve. Whilst i cruise by the forums occasionally I am generally too busy these days to spend much time here. And it seems that some things never change. Some people will spend time finding the most puerile pieces of crud to debunk RV and other paranormal subjects yet when you point them in the direction of evidence and people who have Military RV credentials they can't be bothered, they haven't got the time. Pretty pathetic really. They demand proof but want it handed to them on a platter. They won't go out and find it themselves, they are too lazy. And it's because they don't want to find it. They just don't want to admit it. It's like they are caught in a quandary: I will comprehensively deny the existence of any psychic phenomena. But I can't appear to be closed minded about it because I consider my self open minded.

Wow guys - time to take a deep breath and relax. If you think all those things are real Phil, it's cool. I don't think they are but that shouldn't change things for you. My conclusions are based on years of looking at this stuff and going from complete belief to skepticism. I'm allowed to have an opinion based on evidence I have seen.
And you're right, just because they don't win the Randi prize, it doesn't mean they can't do what they claim. But it would go a long way in giving them credibility.

Here's an example of how I am open minded since you think I'm some sort of close minded robot or something:
I used to think acupuncture didn't work and then I was treated, and it seemed to work for me. It was and still is, therapeutic for me. It won't do what some people claim it will, and I am aware of that, but it did help me with some of my issues.
You've experienced all these paranormal things that I have never seen, or perhaps I have seen similar things, but I interpret them differently. Is that such a big deal?
You say prophetic dream, I say law of large numbers - the outcome is the same, no?

The interesting thing is how can two people, shown the exact same thing come to two completely different conclusions. You can insult the JREF all you want, but they have done a lot of good work.

Yet i can't get past your comments Angelo and how closed minded they are. This in accompaniment of the video you supplied:

GO to 9:20 to see the part about remote viewing. Watch the rest of it if you want to see how ALL psychics are B.S. Well not all - the ones that admit that it's all a trick are at least honest with people.
All psychics are BS! How would you know? Have you ever been to a good psychic? Any at all? Or are you just parroting what others have written or stated.
Have you researched any material or links supplied on these forums to Lyn Buchanan, Mel Riley, Joe McMoneagle or Pat Price?
Lots of material for research here-www.aestheticimpact.com.
These links are just a start for you. I am sure if you really put your mind to it you could do a lot better than what i have supplied.
Most of this was spawned from this thread-https://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/eightmartinis-issue-3-controlled-remote-viewing-in-2010-no-smoke-no-mirrors.6355/
Done any research on the protocols of Military Remote Viewing?
My bet is no- on all accounts. You can post a shoddy, infantile vid as your proof but can you do some real research? You make sweeping pronouncements, ignoring any evidence and cover it by saying it's just your interpretation of things? WTF?.
You say that you tried acupuncture even though you didn't think it would work. How about doing some research on RV. How about seeking out a reputable psychic and having a reading. Maybe, like acupuncture, you may find some credibility amongst your research. Will you try these things or are you going to come up with some feeble excuse to avoid any hard work.? And that is what it takes to get answers, hard work. Looking around, listening to people in the flesh, hearing their stories. Using your gut instinct to figure out if they are on the level. Not just by listening to some iconic JREF pundit and swallowing their pontifications. Maybe even spending some money.
Again my money is on you never doing either because you don't want to, simple as that.
Otherwise i look forward to your comments on your research and telling me what your visit to the psychic was like. Enjoy:)

I guess we just prefer different sources - how about we flip it here. To me it seems as though you are close-minded to the idea that some of the things you believe are explainable in mundane ways.
I have come to the conclusion that no psychic is psychic in the paranormal sense of the word. However, this is after years of thinking about it and looking at different points of view. Maybe you think I just made a snap judgement this morning, but I've been interested in this stuff for 20 years - that's a long time. Perhaps some have fooled themselves into thinking that they really are psychic through confirmation bias. I've learned a lot. One of the things is never trust a psychic that didn't buy stock in Apple in the late 90s. I use that example a lot, but I think it's apt.

Using your gut instinct to figure out if they are on the level.

In my personal experience this method has proven to be notoriously unreliable providing wildly varying results from individual to individual and subject to subject. While I personally try to listen to my intuition as another data point, I've learned that it is unreliable and can differ greatly from someone else's intuitive notions.

I've listened to the subject of Remote Viewing discussed on different podcasts and radio shows by the various people who claim some involvement in it one way or another over the years. I've read a little bit on it but not extensively. I have a rudimentary understanding of the protocols. My reaction is much like Angelo's, if there was something that could actually be harnessed and exploited it seems that the free market would have developed it into a marketable commercial product or service in some form other. At best all you can get are lessons and materials designed to allegedly show you how to it.

Stories like this one are interesting and provocative but what do they really tell us about how that information was actually obtained? We're left guessing.

Rehashing old thoughts:

I don't think there is easy money to be made from remote viewing. Like much of the field, the effects are unreliable, fickle, and under-researched.

Yet statistical research shows it's more than a blip on the radar.

Could there be proof to the theory that we're ALL psychic? | Mail Online

Professor Jessica Utts, a statistician from the University of California, discovered that remote viewers were correct 34 per cent of the time, a figure way beyond what chance guessing would allow.
She says: "Using the standards applied to any other area of science, you have to conclude that certain psychic phenomena, such as remote viewing, have been well established.
"The results are not due to chance or flaws in the experiments."
Of course, this doesn't wash with sceptical scientists.
Professor Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire, refuses to believe in remote viewing.
He says: "I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven, but begs the question: do we need higher standards of evidence when we study the paranormal? I think we do.

The suggestion of it brings out the tinfoil hats, and that scares off most people. Research is difficult since it's not a 'super-sense,' at best a remnant from our ancestors. I doubt anyone who claims to read minds; I can consider someone having a sharp sense of intuition. Useful? Perhaps. Interesting? Certainly. Marketable...? Unlikely. Unless a scam.

You can exploit a river flowing downstream, but it's much harder to catch a freak thunderstorm.

I agree with the sentiment that everyone and their dog would be remote viewing if there was anything to it.
That then begs the question as to why the US was funding it for 25 years+ ?

Either they thought (and proved, to continue for so long) there was something to it, or it was used to funnel money somewhere else and the whole RV thing was just a cover.

It can't be both ways. I can imagine there being funding and research for something it was thought the Soviets had a head start on, but to continue for as long as 25 years says to me they either did find something to the business or it was a front for other things. It was a long time to manage to keep up that front then surely?

I agree with the sentiment that everyone and their dog would be remote viewing if there was anything to it.
That then begs the question as to why the US was funding it for 25 years+ ?

Either they thought (and proved, to continue for so long) there was something to it, or it was used to funnel money somewhere else and the whole RV thing was just a cover.

It seems like they were convinced for a time that they were getting something out of it or possibly could. If you believe the stories they did. I have to wonder though, are there any indications that American Foreign policy is informed by something as powerful as an Intelligence Agency with Remote Viewing? I don't think so. If it worked it doesn't seem like it is getting exploited to any degree. In the commercial arena you have real winners like Ed Dames selling their remote viewing services and training courses.

'Convinced for a time' I can see, but over 25 years? That's a whole lotta convincin' goin' on!

Foreign policy - Not a fan of Alex Jones but he was probably the guy that opened me up to the reality of the Trilateral Commission and the Council on Foreign Relations. It is quite worrying, all these powerful people having all these meetings behind closed doors.

Back