• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Photos from your area..

Free versions of recent episodes:

I sure do, the blue mountains are a wonderful place to live, we overlook the sydney basin, and have access to everything Sydney has to offer, but at the same time the geography up here prevents urban sprawl, so we have a series of small villages all strung out in a line, some of the buildings date back to the 1830's so it has a lovely old world feel.

Top of the hill is Katoomba, and it has the carrington hotel as the crown jewel

History - The Carrington

and

Hydro Majestic Hotel Blue Mountains - Under Redevelopment - Opening 2014 - A Palace in the Wilderness

The hydro majestic having edwardian and art deco architecture

Katoomba has a number of buildings in the art deco style as well.

And yet we have bush as far as the eye can see outside the small strip of urban development that runs up the mountains, with all the wildlife that goes with it.

And best yet in winter all the pubs have log fires, there is nothing like soaking up equal parts cold ale and fireside heat in winter

I wish things were like that around here! They love to develop the hell out of everything. Most of the busier areas feel very commercial. What a great way to spend the cold months. Do you usually see a lot of snow?

This auditorium I have mixed many shows in .. its ruined now and its fate is still in the air as to if it will be restored... but here is a photo of it before it got messed up.

Christchurch%20Town%20Hall%20Overlay.jpg

West of the City in the winter in a little town called Sheffield ... very English is Canterbury

Tranzsnow.JPG.jpg

Ohhhh how picturesque! Clearly that train is going to visit Santa Claus! ;) What a beautiful scene!

The immediate area I live in looks like this. Lots and lots of fertile farmland. Amish territory with nice rivers and woodlands all around . Things look radically different depending on the seasons. Plenty to see and do. Many quaint little towns nearby. I'm not far from a few big cities either,yet I live in a very rural area.

This thread is exceeding expectations. But there are plenty more of you out there - everyone has a camera or cameraphone pretty much so get a-snappin'!:)

how loose are we applying the area definition? i have plenty of cloud pictures taken while hiking the local santa monicas.

Yes Angelo, a link to street view is pretty cool and acceptable, though there is plenty to capture that ain't on street view, as shown in some posts. What about the Uni you work at Angelo? Is it a classic building or a modern monstrosity? (and modern doesn't have to mean bad, I happen to be a fan of 60's and 70's urban concrete - the kind of things most others with to tear down!)

Here are a couple of photo's of my mother's allotment (that's a space to grow things that you rent for a pittance from the local council - think it's a uniquely British thing but I could be wrong. Tonight I planted a few raspberry plants- just to show I can get my hands green...).

allotment_1.jpg

allotment_2.jpg

how loose are we applying the area definition? i have plenty of cloud pictures taken while hiking the local santa monicas.

The 'near your home' guidance was just the idea I had at the time - if you have cool pictures you took yourself, by all means go for it - the more the merrier, the more varied the merrier squared. :)

does this have something to do with your impending arrival ?

Yes - we're building a nice cage for the kids!

Seriously though, we need to have a spare bedroom for guests, so the guest room will be moving to the basement. It'll also be nice to have a playroom and extra bathroom. I'm having a blast taking part of the process.

Here we go Goggs - the view from my office as of 3 minutes ago.office.JPG

You know it looks like you are looking down at that street from Universal Studios in Burbank - you see it in countless films. That's a pretty cool view actually. I love skyscrapers and that's why I love New York so much, it's exciting just walking about.

I wish things were like that around here! They love to develop the hell out of everything. Most of the busier areas feel very commercial. What a great way to spend the cold months. Do you usually see a lot of snow?

Our village is usually below the snowline, but it does happen.
As for development our local council is really strict, so while we have a Mcdonalds at the base of the mountains and one on the other side on the opposite base, they wont let them build up here, no KFC, Pizza hut etc.

Back