• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Photos from your area..

Free versions of recent episodes:

Photo0068.jpg

caught this on my phone as i was walking past

How it used to look

07-christchurch-catherdral-night_tcm7-15140.jpg

How it looks now

the_christchurch_cathedral_post_earthquakes_photo__4e1ea9c0d0.JPG

We locals are fighting to save it... I am a non theist and I am helping as well..... its not about the religion it is the local heritage that defines this place.

Christchurch.jpg

Right in the center of the City

Christchurch-41.jpg

Avon River in the City Center... Reason it is called the Garden City

The church must have shook when Gandalf banged his staff?

Thanks. :D I should show an updated one with the view form my back yard. It's rather sad because they started clear cutting the hillside, so it looks all shaved off and crappy now. :( It's really pretty in autumn when the trees turn, well it used to be anyway. Luckily our goal is not to live here indefinitely, we need more space and less development. :confused:

do you live in coal mining country ??

A beautifully idyllic setting! I'd love to visit...

My city of Aberdeen has won a UK-wide annual competition called 'Britain in Bloom', something like 11 times out of 13! Rumour has it we were secretly banned for a few years because other cities didn't wan't to enter any more, cos Aberdeen kept winning. Like in the central reservations of our main 'freeways' there are well-kept roses, on hills there are pictures made from various flower colours etc. There is plenty green and plenty colour.
Also the North-east of Scotland, has the highest concentration by area of castles, I think in the whole world. There are some stunning castles and they always have beautiful gardens round them too.

If you ever make it to Scotland Chris (and anyone else from the forum) I'd be insulted if you didn't get in touch for a guided tour (and a drink of course). There are plenty of gems that are not on the tourist trail - for instance, there is a ruined castle that was part inspiration for Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' and for those of us into megalithic/ancient stuff - there are 92 stone circles too. Some in great condition. I must post some photo's of some circles. I love to stand in them and imagine what was going on in them 4000 years ago. They were obviously important cos any fool can see the effort that must have gone into making them.

I hope people keep adding to this thread and people can/should write some stuff about the area too - I love learning about all these varied places..

Here's a link to the Street View in front of my house. You can even see my wife and daughter in the driveway:

807 Rue George Westinghouse, Mont-Saint-Hilaire, QC, Canada - Google Maps

The mountain you see in the background is a apparently a "hotbed" of UFO activity. I've lived there for 5 years - no sightings yet.

Also, here's some cool video I shot of some lightning over the mountain I shot a while back - I've posted it elsewhere on the forum.

That's pretty cool Angelo, cheers. Like the lightning vid. Did you check out Grifynne's vid? It's great too.

Summer storms are pretty impressive. I usually try to record them. I always have a camera so that I can show people what I see, so that I don't get the "pics or it didn't happen" answer :) If I ever see something interesting in the sky, I'll be ready!

@Griff - what a fantastic lil' vid you made. I love the way it's speeded up but slowed down for the lightning. Really, really cool gal. :)

Haha thanks. Oh the things I do when I have free time! :D

We get some really nice spring and summer thunder storms around here. I love a good storm! I also created one last year on the 4th of July. Our neighbors were doing all kinds of cool fireworks (and then it ended with another storm haha). It's pretty much the same view point but at night and with lots of colorful explosions:

Here's a link to the Street View in front of my house. You can even see my wife and daughter in the driveway:

807 Rue George Westinghouse, Mont-Saint-Hilaire, QC, Canada - Google Maps

The mountain you see in the background is a apparently a "hotbed" of UFO activity. I've lived there for 5 years - no sightings yet.

Also, here's some cool video I shot of some lightning over the mountain I shot a while back - I've posted it elsewhere on the forum.

Wow that is so cool!

unfortunately I do not have much in the way of natural beauty in my direct vicinity so I have to make do with what ever weirdness I come across. Still havent figured this one out. i'm guessing art project.

Weirdness can be beautiful as well. :D

For some reason that picture made me think of monsters from Silent Hill:

Pyramid_head.jpg

I guess it can be beautiful in a creepy kinda way.

Silent Hill didn't get very good reviews. Certainly the ones I read, but I loved the movie. Not seen the second one yet. Ok, the story is a little weak etc but visually and in a horror movie way, I thought it was just unique and amazing. I absolutely loved the way the air raid siren would signify the impending change into horror. Nurses with scalpels walking like manequin zombies, pyramid head etc Fantastic.

Silent Hill didn't get very good reviews. Certainly the ones I read, but I loved the movie. Not seen the second one yet. Ok, the story is a little weak etc but visually and in a horror movie way, I thought it was just unique and amazing. I absolutely loved the way the air raid siren would signify the impending change into horror. Nurses with scalpels walking like manequin zombies, pyramid head etc Fantastic.

I thought the first movie was good, although I never read the books (didn't know they did that - did those come before or after the game?). I haven't seen the second one yet. Probably will eventually, I usually take a while to watch movies and shows. I usually prefer reading, writing, drawing or the INTERWEBZ. :p

And if you like adventure horror type games, Silent Hill is one of the best if you ask me. I used to love watching my husband play because it was SO nerve racking. I remember one of the games had this radio static that would play and it would make you feel very uneasy. They did a great job with atmosphere.

Reminds me of years ago when I helped my boyfriend (at the time) by making a Pyramid Head costume for him and he lurked around up on my parent's hillside when our friends came over. It totally creeped them out at first until they figured out who it was lol.

I sure do, the blue mountains are a wonderful place to live, we overlook the sydney basin, and have access to everything Sydney has to offer, but at the same time the geography up here prevents urban sprawl, so we have a series of small villages all strung out in a line, some of the buildings date back to the 1830's so it has a lovely old world feel.

Top of the hill is Katoomba, and it has the carrington hotel as the crown jewel

History - The Carrington

and

Hydro Majestic Hotel Blue Mountains - Under Redevelopment - Opening 2014 - A Palace in the Wilderness

The hydro majestic having edwardian and art deco architecture

Katoomba has a number of buildings in the art deco style as well.

And yet we have bush as far as the eye can see outside the small strip of urban development that runs up the mountains, with all the wildlife that goes with it.

And best yet in winter all the pubs have log fires, there is nothing like soaking up equal parts cold ale and fireside heat in winter

This auditorium I have mixed many shows in .. its ruined now and its fate is still in the air as to if it will be restored... but here is a photo of it before it got messed up.

Christchurch%20Town%20Hall%20Overlay.jpg

West of the City in the winter in a little town called Sheffield ... very English is Canterbury

Tranzsnow.JPG.jpg

Back