• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

October 18, 2015 — Dr. David Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Gene, but I was talking to LatentCauses, actually correcting him on the royalty differences between e-books and paperback.

In re to UFO/Paranormal books, no it's obviously not the path to riches for most authors. Obviously if they want to make money they're better off doing horror like Stephen King or maybe write the kind of crap you see in Fifty Shades of Grey. Maybe a book on kids going to a magic school... Clearly that's where the real money is.

Having said that, UFO books still sell, and the authors who write them don't intend on taking a loss when they do so. The other point is, UFO authors don't rely on their books in isolation to make money. They charge for speaking engagements and use other methods to generate income. The books are there to create their base.

Sell how many ? 100 or a 100,000? You've no idea - like me, you're speculating, so there isn't too much point in labouring our respective ignorance. And their intention with respect to sales hasn't got too much to do with anything.

But I take your point about touring on the back of a book - best way to get yourself interviewed or invited to speak.

But I'd be amazed if any but a fraction made any form of a living out of a field that is little more than a shit sandwich for most people involved in it.

Gene, I reckon it would be an interesting paracast to look at this issue. Why do people do this research down the rabbit hole in its many guises? What's the payoff? what does it do to peace of mind and relationships?

I will ask everyone this question: What is the difference between David Jacobs and Dolores Cannon?

Jacobs came up with a paranoid scenario of hubrid dim bulbs amongst us walking into walls and needing to be taught what to do with toilet paper.

Dolores came up with a blissful scenario of aliens who are watching out for us, care about us, and have sent enlightened beings to live amongst us.

Both use hypnosis which has now been rebranded as "relaxation exercises" to be politically correct.

I suspect that BOTH would politely assert that the other one was not using hypnosis correctly.

I would assert that hypnosis = relaxation techniques is an INVALID tool for anything other than coming up with fanciful tales of abduction, reincarnation, and satanic abuse.

Time to put all this garbage out at the curb for pick-up and use in a land fill.

That is an easy point of view. I've seen people who have been regressed and it has changed and improved their lives going through a traumatic experience. Law enforcement has used it to obtain data that has help in solving cases. That is fairly blanket statement for throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

In regard to the difference between Deloris and David, Deloris's aliens tend to be the happy variety and David's the unhappy. I would ask if their respective personal world views reflect the outcomes that they are receiving. Jacobs is always adding that there needs to be real research to determine what is happening if anything. What was difficult for me to listen to is why there had not been more effort to monitor his subjects. MUFON has lots of ex-cops that could have helped though I'm not sure of the ethics of that.

From a shamanic point of view, what he is witnessing could be described as something altogether different. There isn't enough data like wouldn't it be nice to have sleep studies run on subjects? Do they have the same issue if they slept in a Faraday Cage?

On hypnosis, I'd keep my options open. It might be a useful tool. It might be giving the facts back in this case accurately.

Oh My!
I had the opportunity of attend a lecture by David Jacobs in 2013. Nice guy, and a good lecturer. However, he did not pass my "filter." I have a filter who dismisses anyone into conspiracies whether it is about evil or nice ets.
The more I study and research my take is just one: I am aligning with Vallee's hypothesis of a system of deception. And what a system it is. Hard proof? None that I heard of as consistent. Mental evidence? Sorry guys, our brains are powerful enough to produce evidence and make us believe.
IMHO, we are just left with few takes on the subject: we live in a planet filled with strange phenomena we cannot explain yet, and people are using them to scare us away of living a full and joyful life. What is their point into scaring us? I have no idea, but I have a feeling that is just to keep this economic system in which few live well and many just survive. Religion was used in the past to keep people in their places. As we questioned religions and many moved away from them they invented other control system based on fear from ets.
We should not care much about these crazy conspiracies and try to make our and other people's lives better. There is more to this planet than the physical realm, but even that may not be what we are told. Somehow I feel we have to (re)gain our personal power, stop listening to fear based ideas, and work hard to transform our beautiful planet in a place we are proud of in which their inhabitants can have joyful and loving lives.

Does any of you share this kind of thought?

Even without hypnosis, there have been enough studies (such as that conducted by Loftus, Palmer, and Ofshe) to show that false memories can be created. Hypnosis and other methods add to the equation.

Hypnosis used in Michelle Remembers helped set off a wave of satanic ritual abuse hysteria that affected many lives. That book is largely discredited, but just a few years ago a woman sued her therapist - while being treated for an eating disorder, hypnosis convinced her that she had been a member of a satanic cult, eaten children, and committed other unspeakable acts. The same clinic "helped" people recover memories of abuse that created a trail of broken lives and legal entanglements.

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/dangerous-idea-mental-health-93325

But if these experiences are taken at face value, and we add abduction, super-soldiers, and other trauma into the works, we are left in a world where the only solution might be foil hats. The problem with that, of course, is that you really need tin. There might be a reason why aluminum has replaced tin . . .

Last edited:
We should not care much about these crazy conspiracies and try to make our and other people's lives better. There is more to this planet than the physical realm, but even that may not be what we are told. Somehow I feel we have to (re)gain our personal power, stop listening to fear based ideas, and work hard to transform our beautiful planet in a place we are proud of in which their inhabitants can have joyful and loving lives.

Does any of you share this kind of thought?

Don't you miss the days when the Space People just wanted us to stop building nuclear weapons and live in peace - before the grays moved into the neighborhood with all that abduction talk?

Given what we have done with this planet, I am not sure that hybrids would do any worse. But yes, there are enough challenges we face of our own creation to create a world that our children might want to inherit.

I did not read this entire thread. My apologies if this has already been gone over.

Having a writer/researcher on your show does not constitute any form of endorsement whatsoever. The logic of the statement that it DOES constitute endorsement is completely indefensible.

Well done pointing out to Jacobs that the key to this mystery is creativity w/cameras and other scanning techniques.

"Hubrids" -- that's complete science fiction.

Not a very good example I'm afraid. He's prolific to the point of being the subject of good humoured jesting from others in the field, and I note Genes comments below.

It's one example of dozens I could make, my friend. There are many, many people making money selling books in the UFO field, contrary to what is sometimes stated here on the Paracast and in other forums.

If they weren't making money many of them wouldn't be doing it. Also, I said they sell the books then they use them as a platform to do the speaking engagements and other businesses. There's a lot of money in that.

And yes, obviously in many cases whatever profit certain writers make from their books is supplemental to the money they make in their "day job". Chris is one example of that with his tour guide work, as he has stated on the show.

Lastly, you were incorrect about the fact that authors make less money selling e-books. They make more.

These are side incomes and not primary incomes. Jacobs' book hasn't risen high enough on Amazon to indicate large sales.

Sell how many ? 100 or a 100,000? You've no idea - like me, you're speculating, so there isn't too much point in labouring our respective ignorance. And their intention with respect to sales hasn't got too much to do with anything.

The only reason we're discussing this is because you responded to my post and brought this issue up. Your response inferred that there was no point in writing a UFO book because there's no money in it. You mentioned $1 per book, which is why I brought up the "speculation" aspect. When you start to throw figures around, that my friend is speculation.

At any rate, there is money in it. Whether it's a little or a lot is irrelevant. The intention in making sales is always the same. To make money.

Last edited:
These are side incomes and not primary incomes. Jacobs' book hasn't risen high enough on Amazon to indicate large sales.

Gene, I have no idea why you keep pounding this point about the sales of Jacobs' book. It's becoming extremely tiring. We get the point. He's not becoming Donald Trump from selling his latest book.

I goes to the assertion that he wrote about hybrid aliens not to present something he believes in, but to make a buck. I know the economics of book writing from personal experience and talking with other authors. Remember even Nick Redfern has to do other work beyond his UFO books to put food on the table.

I goes to the assertion that he wrote about hybrid aliens not to present something he believes in, but to make a buck. I know the economics of book writing from personal experience and talking with other authors. Remember even Nick Redfern has to do other work beyond his UFO books to put food on the table.

Jacobs has written more than one book. Are you telling us he hasn't made any money from writing books on the subject, Gene?

Jacobs, David Michael (1975). The UFO Controversy in America.
Jacobs, David M. (1992). Secret Life: Firsthand Accounts of UFO Abductions.
(1998). The Threat. The Secret Alien Agenda: What the Aliens Really Want...And How They Plan to Get It
Jacobs, David M., ed. (2000). 'UFOs and Abductions: Challenging the Borders of Knowledge.
Jacobs, David M. (2015). Walking Among Us: The Alien Plan to Control Humanity.

David M. Jacobs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, as I stated and you seem to be ignoring, these authors don't just rely on book sales to make money. They do speaking engagements, fueled by their book sales. And if you had read my previous post, I already acknowledged the fact that many of these writers do other work besides paranormal work.

Even without hypnosis, there have been enough studies (such as that conducted by Loftus, Palmer, and Ofshe) to show that false memories can be created. Hypnosis and other methods add to the equation.

Hypnosis used in Michelle Remembers helped set off a wave of satanic ritual abuse hysteria that affected many lives. That book is largely discredited, but just a few years ago a woman sued her therapist - while being treated for an eating disorder, hypnosis convinced her that she had been a member of a satanic cult, eaten children, and committed other unspeakable acts. The same clinic "helped" people recover memories of abuse that created a trail of broken lives and legal entanglements.

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/dangerous-idea-mental-health-93325

But if these experiences are taken at face value, and we add abduction, super-soldiers, and other trauma into the works, we are left in a world where the only solution might be foil hats. The problem with that, of course, is that you really need tin. There might be a reason why aluminum has replaced tin . . .

Like your reasons and augments here, however, were Loftus, Palmer and Ofshe saying that all recovered memories through hypnosis are false memories or should be ignored?

Jacobs has written more than one book. Are you telling us he hasn't made any money from writing books on the subject, Gene?

Jacobs, David Michael (1975). The UFO Controversy in America.
Jacobs, David M. (1992). Secret Life: Firsthand Accounts of UFO Abductions.
(1998). The Threat. The Secret Alien Agenda: What the Aliens Really Want...And How They Plan to Get It
Jacobs, David M., ed. (2000). 'UFOs and Abductions: Challenging the Borders of Knowledge.
Jacobs, David M. (2015). Walking Among Us: The Alien Plan to Control Humanity.

David M. Jacobs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, as I stated and you seem to be ignoring, these authors don't just rely on book sales to make money. They do speaking engagements, fueled by their book sales. And if you had read my previous post, I already acknowledged the fact that many of these writers do other work besides paranormal work.
I'm referring strictly to the current book. It's highly doubtful much money is coming in from the older titles.

I'm referring strictly to the current book. It's highly doubtful much money is coming in from the older titles.

I brought up my comment about his older books not to state that he is currently making royalties from them but that he has made money from them in the past.

We will just have to sit back and wait and see how this new one sells. Hopefully it doesn't sell all that well because if it does then the UFO field is in a much more sorry state than any of us even realize.

I think we're making too much of a deal of this. There are thousands of UFO books out there. I'm hope most people are smart enough to know when a theory is nonsense or makes sense. Another book, however wacky it might be, is not such a big deal unless it becomes a major sensation. Then the impact might have to be considered. Otherwise, it's one of many.

I worry far more about people taken in by the pop culture history books such as the ones from Bill O'Reilly and his ghost writer. Millions of people are taken in by his "Killing" series, featuring poor writing and poor scholarship. One review I read of "Killing Jesus," written by a Biblical scholar, said that the book didn't get a single date right. That's what we should be concerned about.

Intelligent people will always be concerned about things in this world that don't make sense.

How about Taylor Swift making $1 million every day so far in 2015?

Taylor Swift is on pace to make $365 million this year — more than Jay Z, Diddy, and Drake combined

Clearly, money doesn't always flow towards the most intelligent directions in our world. That much is obvious.
So judgemental:oops:
So should I feel ashamed/stupid for liking Taylor Swift/buying some of her music? Or only half stupid for liking something with artistic merit also.

Just chiming in to thank Gene & Chris for this show. Sure it may have stretched credulity at times, but that's what I listen to the Paracast for. If you only featured guests that I 100% agree with, the show wouldn't be very long OR very fun. So I'm giving you the Thumbs Up. Having a guest on the show IS NOT an endorsement of their ideas.

I encourage you to have more 'controversial' guests. You guys do a great job, so please try to have more fun doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back