• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

October 18, 2015 — Dr. David Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
EW did file complaints everywhere, and they prompted investigations that went nowhere. It's not as easy as you think. I would hope that, eventually, we'll be able to hear the tapes EW has withheld to get a full picture of what happened.

I will say one thing. I am always leery of people who have no training in psychiatry or have no medical degree and decide they are going to regress humans with hypnotism. Budd Hopkins was an Abstract Expressionism painter. Jacobs was a history professor I believe. Hopkins said he observed trained hypnotists for eight years.

I can observe surgeons for eight years but that doesn't make me one. Someone mentioned Dr. John Mack with this group. Dr. Mack was a certified psychologist and taught at Harvard Medical school. He had a few more credentials going for him than these two.

I think the main problem with Hopkins and Jacobs is that they were trying to fill a need as laymen in an area where there aren't enough professionals. They claimed to have consulted with mental health professionals, but at the end of the day, the subjects of those sessions are at fault for not seeking professional help. But we're dealing with the past. Hopkins is gone, and Jacobs is at least semi-retired. Instead of debating what they did endlessly, maybe others can get ahold of their work and see what value it has.

The word "charlatan" is over the top. That would mean he is deliberately lying about his theories. They may be completely ridiculous, but that doesn't mean he's faking it. The Emma Woods situation is more complicated than most of you here realize. Dr. Jacobs may have been very wrong in how he handled the case, but I do not trust EW in the least based on my encounters with her.
I guess the big question here is what is not to be trusted about the request from Jacobs for her used underwear, unwashed of course, and his suggestion that he could send her a chastity belt with nails in it to help frustrate her alien rapists? Did that or did that not happen according to the tapes? Does Jacobs have a response for this? Are there any facts there; because, only by asking Jacobs, who does not touch that material, can we know what went down. While the Woods situation is certainly complicated, especially with the war over Helen of Ufology that followed, there are some specific pieces there that need addressing that didn't happen on the show. I appreciated Chris' restraint and desire to light right into this quagmire and Jacobs' laxodasical approach to what should be the greatest event ever in Ufology, but avoiding the defining moment of this man's careere is inexplicable. It's like interviewing Bill Cosby, who was my hero once, about how he got into comedy but avoiding any talk of the many sexual assault cases directed his way. What exactly gets served and who gets promoted, and more importantly who is dismissed and does she deserve that? And what about all the other female patients talking about their sexual experiences aboard alien ships? What anout the ones to come -should they be warned? Or should we just say there was this kooky gal that made come complaints once, but that's neither here nor there. Who deserves more trust? Will Emma Woods get to have her say on The Paracast to balance the equation?

Emma Woods? That's a can of worms. She has already posted loads of information in these forums, and that material has been online for several years. I do not trust her for reasons already stated here. Notice that Jacobs did not discuss EW except, once, in passing.

I presume the used underwater was requested for genetic testing in search of alien DNA. It may seem kinky, but how else would you do it?

For most I think this will be a TL;DR post...

OK, so Budd Hopkins’ disciple, and longtime alien abduction researcher, Dr. David Jacobs, a former Associate Professor of History at Temple University and vociferous, yet seemingly unconcerned, proponent of the “alien-hybrid/hubrid planetary takeover” theory, has been interviewed by the intrepid hosts of The Paracast. The show has subsequently aired in all its glory, followed by an After The Paracast podcast episode, available to those willing to fork over $5 per month [a bargain], that could only be described as a stinging critique of Dr. Jacobs’ theories and conclusions surrounding the phenomenon of [alleged] alien abduction.

Since Gene, and by association, Chris O’Brien [glaringly silent on the Jacobs’ kerfluffle in the forum prior to the show], refused to critically assess Dr. Jacobs’ highly questionable and potentially dangerous methods prior to the interview, numerous examples of which have been readily available, IN HIS OWN WORDS, via tape recorded sessions widely available on the interwebs for anyone to listen to for over the past 5 years, we’ll have to now refer to Jacobs own words yet again. This time taken from a source that our diligent hosts can’t ignore, their own interview. Shall we begin?

Hypnotic Regression is the process by which you enter a trance and recall material from deep inside that is normally not available to the conscious mind.” Hypnotic Regression and Healing the Unconscious Mind ~ Psychology Today

Jacobs starts out the interview by almost immediately distancing himself from “hypnosis,” calling it borderline fraudulent and claiming he simply encourages subjects to “relax,” as if that’s all that is really needed to uncover repressed memories of any kind, let alone alleged alien abduction. Yet the word “hypnosis” is all over his website. If you want to read where he further devalues his own work read this excerpt from the disclaimer on his website’s home page: “The majority of evidence for the alien abduction phenomenon is from human memory derived from hypnosis administered by amateurs. It is difficult to imagine a weaker form of evidence.” Indeed, Dr. Jacobs. From the mouths of amateurs…

At 26:55 of the interview [all times refer to the ad-free, Paracast+ version] Jacobs boldly declares “Professional hypnotists cannot do this because they know nothing about the abduction phenomenon.” A) I believe he just admitted he is in no way, shape, or form a professional when it comes to hypnotism. B) It is unclear to me why someone, who, according to Jacobs’ own words, is apparently NOT hypnotized but simply in a state of relaxation, would benefit by their listener [Jacobs] being familiar with alien abductions. Shouldn’t the listener simply be ethical enough to ask general, non-leading questions? Claiming that knowing about AP is helpful seems to imply there are assumptions made about the subject’s repressed experiences upfront. Further along, Jacobs mentions he has “controls in place to avoid confabulation.” It would be nice to know what those controls are, specifically, but the hosts fail to follow up on this point with Jacobs.

At 29:00 Jacobs is asked if he has had his methods reviewed by professional therapists. He rejects the question out of hand, declaring “they know nothing about abductions!” Apparently indicating that best-practice, professional standards do not apply with alien abduction victims, as they might with other types of victims, say that of childhood abuse.

When queried by the hosts as to the validity of his subjects’ recalled memories, Jacobs defends the veracity of his hypnosis sessions with abductees by claiming “If they were making it up, we’d know everything that was going on!” So, by Jacobs logic, holes in stories and incomplete recollection of events only serve to underscore the reality of the events in question. Quite an interesting way to justify one’s research.

As a previous forum poster has observed from the interview, Jacobs states that he’s interviewed 150 subjects of [alleged] alien abduction. Some subjects only once, some for years. Seeing as how he’s been at this game for well over 30 years, is an average of 5 subjects a year, the majority of which are only in his general geographic region, really a large enough research sample to draw the type of wide-ranging and detailed conclusions he does about the AP and the aliens’ nefarious intent? On one hand, he admits he has no idea what the “table exams” are for during these abductions, yet he’s confident he knows the details and intent of the entire alien conspiracy to colonize and to take over the planet using hybrids/hubrids?

Interesting section of the interview where methods are generally discussed:

40:40 After being quizzed by the hosts Jacobs claims “No agenda. I just want them to be accurate.” And he claims patients “learn” to be accurate. Who determines what’s “accurate?” Using what criteria? The subject’s own recollections are not “accurate?” Obviously then, it’s Jacobs injecting himself into the subject’s memories and being the arbiter of what’s “true” or not. If somebody is “learning” then he must be “teaching” them through his questioning. He mentions this throughout the interview. This clearly imparts bias on all material collected rendering it useless, as it is admittedly filtered through the doctor for “truthiness” of which he is the sole judge. Our genial hosts do not follow up on this point with Jacobs.

41:12 Jacobs Quote “They are all aware of me LEADING THEM. They’re completely aware of that.” Again, another example of why the material is useless. He admits “leading” subjects! The hosts do not raise an issue with this statement.

42:09 “I test them early on. I will ask deliberately misleading questions.” A direct misleading question.” So he not only admits to LEADING subjects, he admits to purposely MISLEADING subjects as well! Again, clearly tainting the veracity of any material collected. Chris O’Brien follows up this astonishing statement with a disappointing gee whiz, golly gee, “I didn’t know you could do that” comment but that’s as far as that troubling revelation is discussed.

43:08 “I will do other things to see if they are correct or not.” What “other things?” No one follows up on that statement. Again, who is he to determine if they are correct or not? These aren’t his memories.

44:03 “Budd used to ask misleading questions and I learned how to ask misleading questions.” Well, now we know who he learned it from and, as a result, this directly casts doubt on Hopkins’ methods as a researcher.

47:32 Paraphrasing Jacobs “I can recognize telepathic confabulation.” How? The hosts do not question this statement.

Around 52 minutes in and responding to a question from Chris O’Brien, Jacobs basically admits to cherry-picking evidence. He states directly that if he hears something from a subject he’s never heard before he disregards it. That’s not how science and research is supposed to work, pal.

59:48 Jacobs makes the claim that “hubrids” are ALL the aliens are doing. He doesn’t know what the “table exams” are for but he’s confident the alien presence here on Earth has only to do with creating “hubrids.” No proof is asked for or given.

1:01:04 “They (hubrids) can neurologically control humans.” Again, proof? Examples?

Then shit just gets totally weird with hubrid training and being around 24hr stores and asking humans weird questions and I stopped taking notes.

A final quote from Jacobs: “95% of abductees don’t know they are abductees.” Yet, somehow, they end up on an Associate Professor of History’s doorstep looking for answers. How is that possible if they don’t know their “emotional issues” have anything to do with aliens or abductions? Hmmmm…

In closing, I’ve been extremely vocal in the forum about my opposition to have Jacobs on the show. I’ve stated my reasons, I think, fairly clearly: his research methods are unethical, unprofessional and dangerous. I don’t even comment on his conclusions. The defense of Jacobs presented by Gene and Sean Meers of the material I’m referring to being out of context, vindictive, etc. is not relevant because I based my opinions solely on Jacobs own words that I’ve heard on tape. I have heard him diagnosing a hypnosis subject with Multiple Personality Disorder and convincing the subject under hypnosis of this “fact.” Who is Jacobs to diagnose anyone? He’s a history professor! I’ve heard him implanting false memories of a sexual assault into a hypnosis subject’s memory. Those types of behavior do not require context. It’s shameful and wrong and dangerous and someone like that should be exposed and marginalized, not be allowed to benefit from the credibility a Paracast interview implicitly bestows. My opposition to Jacobs on the show is directly related to the high regard I have for both Gene and Chris as hosts and the reputation I feel the show has garnered as a platform for paranormal discernment. Sure, there have been some wild characters on the show over the years but once they’ve been exposed as frauds they aren’t normally asked back. Jacobs, based on his research methods, falls into the fraud category, in my opinion. If anyone didn’t believe that before, they certainly should after this interview on the Paracast.

Now that this whole untidy affair is behind us, who is on the show next week, Gene?!

Just one thing about EW and the infamous MPD recording? You didn't hear the introduction to that recording, since she withheld it, which sets up the situation in a way that will lead you to a totally different impression of what really happened and why? Why is she afraid to reveal it? I only hope that recording will be made public before long so everyone has the chance to judge this case in a way that presents a more accurate picture of what really happened.

In any case, you heard the show, you see where we exposed many aspects of Jacobs' research to scrutiny, and we dealt with our concerns in After The Paracast.

This week? Working on it.

I've been reluctant to do shows on abduction. I've enjoyed our sessions with Kathleen Marden, but unless there's something really new and different to present, we won't be visiting that area very often.

-3:50 from the end of the show he mentions some bloke called Michael Menkin who makes "anti-abduction hats"; I had to check him out:

Stop Alien Abductions

"Large leather aviator hats lined with Velostat with secure straps are recommended for making effective helmets..."

Of aliens: "They are good at manipulating your spouse to have a conflict with you about wearing the helmet." I bet.
I can't thank you enough for posting this link. I mean, I guffawed when Jacobs mentioned this guy on the show but I had no idea the website would be so deliciously humorous. Surely, once everyone peruses the website it can only lend further "credibility" to Dr. Jacobs. I'm saving my pennies for a custom made hat... They only take 4 hours to make!

To me it boils down to this quote by Dr. Carl Sagan, 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.' I did not hear any of that from Dr. Jacobs.

I can't thank you enough for posting this link. I mean, I guffawed when Jacobs mentioned this guy on the show but I had no idea the website would be so deliciously humorous. Surely, once everyone peruses the website it can only lend further "credibility" to Dr. Jacobs. I'm saving my pennies for a custom made hat... They only take 4 hours to make!

Yeah. I knew of this site. I had seen it many years ago. Totally insane. For a second there I thought Jacobs was being facetious in bringing it up, but... no.

He actually believes those hats do something. Or for some bizarre reason he wants us to think he believes they do something?

It's just totally bizarre. Just wow.

Mr. Fibuli said: "I'll never understand people who listen to seven minutes of a show, turn it off, and then comment." They don't have unlimited time to listen to every single podcast and get aggravated when they hear the same old song and dance for the umpteenth time. I did listen to the entire show and the hosts did not start asking pointed questions until two hours in. What you describe is not the most elegant approach to intellectual discourse, but it is understandable.

Mr. Steinberg said: "...I do not trust EW in the least based on my encounters with her."

One does not have to 'trust' either Ms. Woods or Dr. Jacobs to condemn Jacobs' actions. And Ms. Woods has never, to my knowledge, performed de-facto psychotherapy without a license. Why on earth Temple left Jacobs on staff is beyond me - and my family has more than its share of lawyers and people working in universities. Best guess is they knew Ms. Woods didn't have the resources to pursue a case and stonewalled. Looks to have worked.
I only listen to the Paracast as far as radio/podcats :cool: I still love you. I was yelling nuh-uh at the radio when Chris was saying that because nobody knows-UFO study could go in a positive direction.
As far as Jacobs is concerned, he seems contentious (could I please finish my story?) and none too worried that anything he believes could be anything other than 100% true. It's not been proven irrefutably that hybrid reptile gray hubrids are real.
The part that cracks me up is that aliens can control us no matter what through telepathy and humans being psionic nulls are just screwed.:rolleyes: And that's a FACT.
He hangs by his own rope of spurious logic in the doorway of the Star Wars cantina.

Burnt State said: "What exactly gets served and who gets promoted, and more importantly who is dismissed and does she deserve that? And what about all the other female patients talking about their sexual experiences aboard alien ships? What anout the ones to come -should they be warned? Or should we just say there was this kooky gal that made come complaints once, but that's neither here nor there. Who deserves more trust? Will Emma Woods get to have her say on The Paracast to balance the equation?"

These questions get at the heart of the situation, and remain unanswered. Additionally, according to Emma Wood's allegations Dr. Jacobs' attempted to persuade her to believe she had multiple personality disorder (for which she was taking medicine) while she was under hypnosis. That is, to me, much more alarming than the sexually based allegations - and gives men reason to be wary as well.

Emma Woods was seeing a therapist, who was the person who (disastrously) referred her to Jacobs.

I do agree with you Mr. Steinberg that there is a yawning, appalling gulf of nothing helping experiencers. How their needs are addressed by coddling Jacobs, i fail to see.

The MPD episode is a red herring. There is an introductory segment that EW has not posted. I hope it will be, because it may put a totally different slant on what really happened. Maybe that's why she'd rather pretend it doesn't exist. I wish Jacobs would post it to clear the air — but that doesn't have to change anyone's impressions of his research.

I find it curious that the only abduction researchers that therapist allegedly referred her to were Jacobs and Hopkins. There are no abduction researchers in New Zealand or Australia? Clearly there are, at least in the latter.

The MPD episode is a red herring. There is an introductory segment that EW has not posted. I hope it will be, because it may put a totally different slant on what really happened. Maybe that's why she'd rather pretend it doesn't exist. I wish Jacobs would post it to clear the air — but that doesn't have to change anyone's impressions of his research.

I find it curious that the only abduction researchers that therapist allegedly referred her to were Jacobs and Hopkins. There are no abduction researchers in New Zealand or Australia? Clearly there are, at least in the latter.

There are UFO groups here for sure but I have not come across and abduction researchers.. not saying there are none but just no idea.
There is this group: UFocus - New Zealand UFO

And if you have the time, by all means, read EVERYTHING on his website Stop Alien Abductions

I mean, hit all those sub-links on the left and then read everything within that link. This guy can be a sci-fi writer. And low and behold! His grandfather was a sci-fi writer! His product looks like something that should be advertised in the back of a comic book in 1954. Unbelievable...

i don't see what could possibly counter his two suggestions or how his statements could not be perceived as crossing the lines of the historian abduction specialist playing Freudian therapist. that he doesn't speak to it himsef only points to it containing more of his own guilt. he only spoke about her because the question led there and then he shut himself up and you brought it to a close and following the break it disappeared as a question. though with so much to explore you needed more time as always, but I thought he actually exposed himself, his limitations and biases and creepy side quite well all on his own across this episode.

Regardless of what did or did not happen with Emma Woods, I do not think hypnosis is a useful tool to determine if hybrids are taking over the world - any more than I thought it was a useful tool to determine if there was a mass epidemic of ritual satanic abuse. It's too easy to manipulate or recreate any number of experiences. And memory is subject to manipulation even without hypnosis. Instead of offering a way to understand a phenomenon, Jacobs' methods make it harder to determine what the phenomenon might or might not entail

But then again we live at a time when an upcoming conference suggests that "if you have any interest in UFO’s and/or Extraterrestrials, there is a good chance you’ve had some type of interaction that has been hidden from your conscious memory." So perhaps we all have such memories. But I doubt it.

Last edited:
I think Chris was 100% correct on the the topic of ufology, as time after time we are given different theories or rehashed theories of something that may or may not have happened decades ago. A lot of people have essentially created a religion around this topic and seem to aiming to be the new messiah of the faith with some coming up with outlandish conspiracies about our future. What is needed is a proper scientific objective approach just the facts and not supposition.

While listening to the show Dr Jacobs description of the Hubrids did seem to have simular traits to the description of MIBs, but the method I believe is flawed, be it hypnosis or a relaxed state as I found that some of my own childhood memories have been tainted over time not only by imagination but also from watching tv reading books and movies which grabbed my attension. I try to keep an open mind on all matters which are outside the norm, but I found this too big a pill to swallow. If I knew there was a plot to take over the human race I would be doing everything in my power to find tangable proof. he mentioned he went to a hubrids house once and sat outside why not go back and find a reason to knock the door, use video, audio anything. All Dr Jacobs did during the show was make me feel like I was listening to scifi Programme.

If the subject of ufology or the paranormal is to be taken serious from the general public, it will surely require A gold standard of research, with those who are purely for self promotion being excluded. Then maybe the subject will gain more gravitas. Just a thought.

Still enjoyed the show.

Some of the Plot Holes in the Planetary Takeover Via Sexual Invasion Hypothesis

How can there be so many different and ships so many humanoids, witnessed by so many, but he is certain that one race of greys are abducting us? This runs contrary to many global abduction cases that do not feature greys at all, but a host of other types of humanoids whose agendas have nothing to do with people getting naked. This for me is a major plot hole up against the history of what we know to be what has been witnessed by multiple people, oftentimes simultaneously by a series of people. They have come in waves of variations and are entirely transformative, shy, eccentric and if anything unpredictable. So if not charlatan, then by virtue of the incredibly confident voice he has about proclaiming nothing less than the ultimate takeover of our planet, we should at least call fraud or fantasy author, and a dangerous one at that.
bluepl45.gif

The planetary acquisition, that only the insectoids apparently are aware of, created by the master alien races that in fact involve an entire pantheon of aliens. Like the gods of Olympus and their half god like offspring, who are special compared to us lowlife 100% primates; nothing really new there I suppose in the myth he is spinning. But if you're asking this primate to believe that this confederacy of alien beings that have journeyed across time and space, defying our own laws of physics with their awesome post - quantum knowledge, can't make a friggin' power point or something to explain what goats and dogs are to get these super hubrid learners up to speed and multi-lingual by the age of seven, then I'd say you're not listening to how you are not making any sense at all. No, we are to believe these space-faring magicians of science have to rely on prozac-zombified humans having an abduction event to teach them the ways of humanity, about our good social graces at the checkout counter tops after work on Friday nights. I mean is this for real? You might as well be beaming flashlights in the sky believing yourself to be a space ambassador. And he spent five hours outside an apartment with camera and binoculars...and when you add up the great number of sexual references that came with the show dealing with children and women in their bedrooms, well it all sounds rather creepy, fairly disturbing and kind of sad. You can understand why people are angry when Chris Rutkowski talks with care and concern about people going through incredible traumas but Jacobs makes them sound like lab rats with names: Betsey, Emma and Bernard.
112311-FantasticPlanet-Post.jpg

I thought the tinfoil hat reference at the end was a kind of sweet coup de grace as he came to fully represent just what kind of strange and more than questionable quackery this man believes in. If he's not on the same level as the one-armed swiss farmer then I dob't know who is. The proof he provides is self-referential and is stacked purely upon a serious of conversations about intimate, sexual interactions by someone who admittedly has no training whatsoever to be doing such things in the first place. For him the proof exists in the map of his psycho-sexual alien takeover drama that is only fully fleshed out in the landscape of his mind.

The giddy glee he expressed in having engaged in the story of the molestation by aliens of a seven year old girl during the reminiscences about his "first time" speaks volumes as to what this abduction narrative by these old white men is all about. Talk about controlling the sexual narratives of women. His joy in recording this seven year old assault, devoid of any compassion or concen whatsoever at what he was describing, sad it all. This has nothing to do with helping people. It's all about him, and his theory. It's human exploitation at best. The telling of the seven year old's sexual assault i found to be more than a little disturbing. In fact i would cite that as the all time most disturbing moment of the show's history actually. I hope he never gets a chance to air his disturbing cockamamie ideas on this platform again.
Invasion-of-the-Saucer-Men.jpg

I would like to thank Chris for asking my two questions and what they revealed. Even Jacobs could not help himself from avoiding talk about his special case, Emma Woods. I wish he was allowed to ramble on instead of self-censoring himself. A second episode of just forum members could have filled anther two hours eaily. I appreciated Chris' repeated challenging of Jacobs' ideas. Given the years you have both studied your respective subjects and seeing how much energy you put into creating opportunities for actual scientific collection of data, up against this scientific couch potato who wants either the TV or live patients on his couch, I have to say that you are taking this work seriously and people don't know the half of what that means or how skeptical you actually are. This guy is beyond being questionable. It is a personal fantasy he is spouting and should not in fact be repeated. As Greg Bishop said, we should stop talking about about hypnotizing abductees for ten years. Let's get these people serious help from someone other than the Freudian History teacher. Let's see what new narratives come to the surface when the people talking to them aren't so smug and certain about their surreal theories about planetary takeover via this sexual invasion and raping of our women. Someone tell me how in 2015 it still comes down to the white man talking about the raping of our women. The historian should certainly note the heavy ironies there. I really do hope we are seeing the death throes of patriarchy in the work of this kind of unsubstantiated weirdness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back