• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

October 18, 2015 — Dr. David Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
a somewhat related point , part of the reason i opted out of this episode was not only because of the subject but the title of Dr. Jacobs latest work which (perhaps unfairly) got me to roll my eyes. I can safely say i am not in his target audience on this one. But here's my point and it is not my intent to try to put anybody on the spot but it's probably safe to assume that whenever you guys do book a guest you recieve a copy of that persons latest book. I wonder if any such books could be reviewed in this forum so as to let others decide if they want to make the purchase.

I know that Chris has a full plate and it might not serve the hosts well to have them make any reviews. Would it be posssible for to make the book available to any members that may have the time to review? Maybe not even the same person , for instance i don't know if i would have the time but i would take a pass on anything to do with alien abduction/ hypnotic regression because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth , but there are some paranormal phenomena that does intrigue me to the point that i would be interesting in reading and providing my own viewpoint. Granted there is a boook review forum which hasn't exactly taken off but i suspect that might have something to do with the ability to make discrectionary purchases.

Many of us paracasters have to be very discriminating with our hard earned money when it comes to purchasing any books. Perhaps there could be some kind of system set up to ensure that anyone that chooses to partake does indeed provide the service in a timely manner, say within a certain time period. One strike and you're out.
We do have a book review section in this forum, and members are invited to contribute. Whether Chris and I would have the time depends. But it's open to all of you.

This guy is some provacative stuff.
He sure provoked one contentious thread here and Art Bell has been pooping his pants since Jacobs was on there a week or so ago (an interview I did not hear)
Just about to listen to this Oct18 show. Looking forward to it. I admire Gene's poise; there's a fine line between asking the tough and abusing your guest.
I think Gene and Chris are at the top of the paranormal radio game as far as being respectful but not giving free license.
I mean, you have to let a guest speak..this seems like a great type of topic/guest for the Paracast. Would it be better if he just hadn't been a guest:rolleyes:?

What's Bell's complaint?

I am concerned here when people complain that we shouldn't present guests with controversial and/or disputed beliefs. The Paracast is one of the few shows where these people will be asked serious and tough questions and have a chance to prove themselves, or otherwise.

I suspect some of these views are the result of the Emma Woods matter. This is a key reason why Dr. Jacobs has become so polarizing. Regardless, I think we successfully illuminated the issues with regard to his history, research methods and beliefs without going into his interactions with EW.

What's Bell's complaint?

I am concerned here when people complain that we shouldn't present guests with controversial and/or disputed beliefs. The Paracast is one of the few shows where these people will be asked serious and tough questions and have a chance to prove themselves, or otherwise.

I suspect some of these views are the result of the Emma Woods matter. This is a key reason why Dr. Jacobs has become so polarizing. Regardless, I think we successfully illuminated the issues with regard to his history, research methods and beliefs without going into his interactions with EW.
Actually Bell was shaking in his boots. He kept talking about Jacobs through a whole other interview. He was really really scared by the Doctors stuff:D I haven't been able to get Internet to listen to this weeks show yet, but I feel that having Dr. Jacobs on will educate me and other listeners about this corner of paranormal study/theory :cool:

Gene
Thanks for putting Dr. Jacobs on your show -- an absolutely fantastic guest!!!!
I am curious if one of my other questions was asked. Perhaps it was asked
on AftertheParacast. Unfortunately, I barely survive financially in another
country teaching English and can't afford to subscribe.

Was Jacobs asked why the aliens permitted him to continue his work?
If the aliens are secretely planning to conquer the Earth, wouldn't they want
him to shut up? If not, why not?

A whole other concept is that it is not aliens at all, but human
military abductions. The concept is they want the abductees to
think aliens are responsible. This is a concept investigated by
Dr. Helmut Lammer in a book called Milabs: Military Mind Control
and Alien Abduction. I understand Jacobs totally rejects the MILAB theory.
If this theory is not correct, why did the U.S. ban Dr. Lammer
from the U.S. , after he published it? Dr. Lammer has declined interviews,
due to pressure from the U.S. allegedly.

I agree with the point about the lack of effort to get physical evidence.
That makes me think about a MUFON project to put devices into
abductee's homes to record changes in the environment. Supposedly
this was done and the data never released. MUFON's excuse is they
don't have the resources to have the data analyzed.

I would like you to interview Dale Musser on your show.
Dale has a personal abduction experience to tell and Chris
knows him. Dale's story is unique, because it involves a
virtually untold story of a mass abduction.

All I know is that I'm about seven minutes and the podcast and I turned it off. last week your show was awesome it was so interesting and engaging. But you start the show off again with the "ufology is dead" let's give up and there's no hope" and the "I'm jaded" talk and I'm tired of that.

Last week it was announced that photograph of Billy the kid was discovered in an antique shop five years ago. The only other known photograph of him and it was a picture with his gang. There was a National Geographic Channel special on it and it was fascinating.
I believe that there is value in historic UFO research, whether it be Roswell or just the 47 wave or stuff that happened in the 50s and 60s there is still value in that. There is still information that could be uncovered. If a rare tintype photo can be found and bought for $2 in an antique shop, somebody could find something in somebody's attic or somewhere. To say "oh no no it'll never ever happen" , just isn't true.

So you actually never listened to the interview with David Jacobs, which started in the second segment at roughly 14 minutes into the episode on the free (podcast) version.

Dr. Jacobs is not interested in doing any further research into these issues, preferring at this point in his life to sit around and watch TV all day. On the other hand, he will write another book in an effort to suck more money out of the terminally gullible.

Dr. Jacobs has made exceedingly dramatic and far-reaching allegations in regard to certain aspects of the abduction phenomenon, including the fact that there are these "hubrids" who are slowly taking over our world. He has no physical evidence to back up this claim and he's tired of people asking him about it. He wants them to shut up and get off their asses and find the evidence themselves.

I did listen to the Art Bell interview (Sept. 24) and contrary to what someone posted here, he's not frightened of what Jacobs contends. He was laughing at it. Art Bell isn't stupid. He knows Jacobs is full of shyte.

Gene, I'm not sure why you're so hesitant to mention the name (in actual fact pseudonym) "Emma Woods". Calling her "she who shall not be named" is a cop-out. It's a major part of Jacobs' history and it needs to mentioned.

Last edited:
Very few people who write UFO-oriented books make much money. That's a fact of life. Unless you have a "day job," and Dr. Jacobs is retired, you cannot survive that way. Or you do as I once did, write lots of books for average advances. Well, a couple of books in the 1990s paid off fairly well.

So, no, I don't think he is doing this for the money, because there isn't much of that. After all these years, did it occur to you that he actually believes this stuff? It doesn't matter if his claims are being thoroughly disputed by most everyone here.

Gene, did it occur to you that he doesn't believe this stuff or possibly that he's just crazy?

And I completely disagree with your comment about not making money. He literally says in the interview he'd rather just sit around and watch TV all day. So why write another book unless he can profit from it?

No hard questions? You must have been listening to a different show. We asked him very critical questions about his process, and the problems were crystal clear. I'm not aware of any other show that actually put him in a box as we did.

You just can't win Gene. W/ Ardi 6killer Clarke, Blake Cousins and others we were too tough, w/ Jacobs, et al, we weren't tough enough.
Jacobs wasn't happy about how he was handled, he said I was "badgering" him. Can't please everyone all the time, I suppose.

You guys did a great job, and hey you can please only half the people half the time.. Don't sweat it you guys.
Myself and many others are grateful for what you two do for very little reward.

Gene, did it occur to you that he doesn't believe this stuff or possibly that he's just crazy?

And I completely disagree with your comment about not making money. He literally says in the interview he'd rather just sit around and watch TV all day. So why write another book unless he can profit from it?
He's retired and probably has a pension from Temple. It's probably enough to live on. He might be able to get Social Security as well, but I'm not sure. If he lives frugally, and saved some money over the years, he'll probably do all right without much side income. I know nothing of his lifestyle.

I think the disbelief in Jacobs stems very much from the Emma Woods fiasco. Regardless, writing one book every few years, unless they have blockbuster sales, is not a way to make a living.

Gene wrote: "I think the disbelief in Jacobs stems very much from the Emma Woods fiasco."

If you truly think this is the case no wonder you're disgusted by the field! Jacobs was a charlatan with completely ridiculous 'arguments' obtained thru the most ethically and psychologically sketchy methods from the minute he got involved in his 'abduction research'. I've been avoiding his output like the plague for decades now - the Emma Woods situation was just the logical outcome of his stupid and reckless behavior.

Mr. O'Brien did ask some hard, probing questions but that was two hours into the show. Given the limited attention span of much of today's internet audience it's difficult to say whether this show did much to educate the public on Dr. Jacobs' decrepit 'contribution' to ufology.

This is some crazy SHI... I got to about an hour and nine minutes before-
kryten-head-explodes.gif

Now to listen to the rest. I'll never understand people who listen to seven minutes of a show, turn it off, and then comment.

He's retired and probably has a pension from Temple. It's probably enough to live on. He might be able to get Social Security as well, but I'm not sure. If he lives frugally, and saved some money over the years, he'll probably do all right without much side income. I know nothing of his lifestyle.

I think the disbelief in Jacobs stems very much from the Emma Woods fiasco. Regardless, writing one book every few years, unless they have blockbuster sales, is not a way to make a living.

Gene, one of the reasons books are written is to make the author money. It's as simple as that. It may not be a ton of money, agreed, but you don't sell anything to make a loss.

The disbelief in Jacobs' statements has a lot to do with the extreme nature of his contentions and having little to no proof of them, along with his lack of professionalism in handling certain aspects of his methodologies (for example his use of hypnotism).

In short, he's a shyster and most intelligent people are capable of figuring that out.

Gene wrote: "I think the disbelief in Jacobs stems very much from the Emma Woods fiasco."

If you truly think this is the case no wonder you're disgusted by the field! Jacobs was a charlatan with completely ridiculous 'arguments' obtained thru the most ethically and psychologically sketchy methods from the minute he got involved in his 'abduction research'. I've been avoiding his output like the plague for decades now - the Emma Woods situation was just the logical outcome of his stupid and reckless behavior.

Mr. O'Brien did ask some hard, probing questions but that was two hours into the show. Given the limited attention span of much of today's internet audience it's difficult to say whether this show did much to educate the public on Dr. Jacobs' decrepit 'contribution' to ufology.
The word "charlatan" is over the top. That would mean he is deliberately lying about his theories. They may be completely ridiculous, but that doesn't mean he's faking it. The Emma Woods situation is more complicated than most of you here realize. Dr. Jacobs may have been very wrong in how he handled the case, but I do not trust EW in the least based on my encounters with her.

I really enjoyed the interview. I do not believe Jacobs' method and find it really frustrating what he calls evidence. For the brief time I was involved with MUFON the investigator contact I had, had Bud Hopkins and David Jacobs as the leading investigative research and if you had another way of looking at statements you were directed to reread these books.

In Jacobs work it would seem rather easy for investigators to follow up with evidence retrieval. Hell he had an address, one would think the publisher would front money for a PI to get a simple photo. Buy two pizzas, one to eat while waiting for occupant to return then deliver the prepaid pizza to address of unknown. When you call a book "The Threat" and treat it as a story it is not to convincing. This day and age all cashiers are watched religiously if someone is walking up and not paying for goods and leaving it would not go unnoticed.

Just really frustrating to listen to when solutions could be so easy.

Mr. Fibuli said: "I'll never understand people who listen to seven minutes of a show, turn it off, and then comment." They don't have unlimited time to listen to every single podcast and get aggravated when they hear the same old song and dance for the umpteenth time. I did listen to the entire show and the hosts did not start asking pointed questions until two hours in. What you describe is not the most elegant approach to intellectual discourse, but it is understandable.

Mr. Steinberg said: "...I do not trust EW in the least based on my encounters with her."

One does not have to 'trust' either Ms. Woods or Dr. Jacobs to condemn Jacobs' actions. And Ms. Woods has never, to my knowledge, performed de-facto psychotherapy without a license. Why on earth Temple left Jacobs on staff is beyond me - and my family has more than its share of lawyers and people working in universities. Best guess is they knew Ms. Woods didn't have the resources to pursue a case and stonewalled. Looks to have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back