• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Football/Soccer WorldCup

Haha, i think it must surely be our turn to win a penalty shoot out against you guys now!

It is way overdue. :) Anyhow. all the best for your team until we meet. :)

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

North-Korea leading 2-0...

Goddamn, come on USA (another healthy rivalry with/against the English ;) ).

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

After Peter Shilton, all english goalkeepers are abysmal since. Yay to the US of A.

I can't see England advancing beyond the round of 16 if they don't get at least competent goaltending. That goal against Green was one of the absolute worst I've ever seen.

For what it's worth, this is 'my' Club, season ticket-holder and filmed a little part of the following video :)

[video]http://www.myvideo.de/watch/1407946/Gelbe_Wand_Suedtribuene[/video]

I'm excited that Montreal is finally getting an MLS team in 2011, and with players like Beckham and Henry playing in the league, it's gaining some legitimacy. I haven't been paying much attention to Club football in the past few years, but maybe that'll get me back into it.

I've watched a couple of Toronto FC games on television, but I just can't get excited about MLS yet - the quality of play just isn't comparable to what we're used to seeing from the EPL, or even Scotland, and the teams don't have the pedigree that would make up for it. That said, it's still in the foundational phase, so I hope it all works out - I would love to see a game live someday soon, preferably in LA.

I'm very very pleased .. ;) Sorry to my Aussie buddies on here, but I think the win was well deserved.

That red card was utter bullshit though, I hope the FIFA will not let that Bela Lugosi lookalike onto another pitch.

Good to see the Germans have kept their form with the new younger team. They're strong cup contenders, as always.

I believe we'll see the USA advance to the quarter-finals this time. "Soccer" is a major sport there now at last, and the national team goes from strength to strength. They may surprise us all this time.

Despite Green's ridiculous dropped-ball gaffe, the England team looks strong overall and is playing consistently better than in recent years. They're habitual slow starters in international tournaments.

Am I the only one who finds those continuous blaring horns, drowning out all sound at every match in the tournament, distracting and irritating? Or am I just an intolerant old fart?

Good to see the Germans have kept their form with the new younger team. They're strong cup contenders, as always.

I believe we'll see the USA advance to the quarter-finals this time. "Soccer" is a major sport there now at last, and the national team goes from strength to strength. They may surprise us all this time.

Despite Green's ridiculous dropped-ball gaffe, the England team looks strong overall and is playing consistently better than in recent years. They're habitual slow starters in international tournaments.

Am I the only one who finds those continuous blaring horns, drowning out all sound at every match in the tournament, distracting and irritating? Or am I just an intolerant old fart?

Those things, 'Vuvuzelas', are annoying me to no end really, but 'when in rome...' :)

Let's see how the Germans do when they face a real team. No offense to the Aussies, but they were seriously outclassed, even before their player was sent off (a bad call by the ref).

US should make the round of 16, but Slovenia could surprise them if they're not careful. After that, however, they just don't have the talent to hold up with the best squads. The same is true, sadly, for sacred Albion... and the goalkeeping just makes it worse.

And yes, the noise is indeed annoying. But, as "dyingsun" says, when in Rome...

Great game Germany had. I thought, they wouldn't be as strong for this tournament as in previous one's, but i was pleasantly surprised. They along with Argentina are the strongest sides i have seen so far in the Tournament. As for England, they have to learn to pass the ball first (lol Jeez).The system England started with was all wrong for starters ( long ball to Heskey) will not work and the middle of the field 'Lampard and Gerrard. Well one of them needs to be dropped for the next game, they are too alike as players. Overall tonight's game was the best game, i have seen in the Competition.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

England team have the players but the coach is negative. England were terrible against the USA. No Offense to the USA but the standard of the US players compared to English players is like comparing Chelsea to Southend. Most of the English players are millionaires and they all play for the top clubs in Europe, yet the couldn't string a number of passes together, which was shocking for me being a neutral supporter of England and being a follower of an English club "Newcastle utd" England wil be lucky to get pass the last 16 in my opinion, judging by that performance.

England team have the players but the coach is negative. England were terrible against the USA. No Offense to the USA but the standard of the US players compared to English players is like comparing Chelsea to Southend. Most of the English players are millionaires and they all play for the top clubs in Europe, yet the couldn't string a number of passes together, which was shocking for me being a neutral supporter of England and being a follower of an English club "Newcastle utd" England wil be lucky to get pass the last 16 in my opinion, judging by that performance.

Sometimes team trumps talent - the US plays as a team, whereas England seems to be playing as a group of individuals.

Sometimes team trumps talent - the US plays as a team, whereas England seems to be playing as a group of individuals.

I agree but the system was all wrong. Which the manager would be at fault for, but the USA had heart, but realistically England should have beaten them comfortably.

I agree but the system was all wrong. Which the manager would be at fault for, but the USA had heart, but realistically England should have beaten them comfortably.

While I think England has better players, the US might have the better team. England is ranked #8 in world standings, and the US at #14 - that's not much of a difference anymore.

While I think England has better players, the US might have the better team. England is ranked #8 in world standings, and the US at #14 - that's not much of a difference anymore.

Man for man England are far better, but they went out to hit long balls to Heskey. If they played like Germany did tonight and they have the ability. They would have won comfortably against the US.. Fifa rankings are crap anyway Paul.. USA are an average team. Spain would easily score beat the USA which England couldn't.

Back