• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Football/Soccer WorldCup

Yup - very excited about it. This year with the CBC.ca streaming every game live, I won't have to look for those illusive Korean web streams to watch games at work. I have it on the opening ceremonies right now.
Everyone becomes a soccer expert for 1 month.

Yup - very excited about it. This year with the CBC.ca streaming every game live, I won't have to look for those illusive Korean web streams to watch games at work. I have it on the opening ceremonies right now.
Everyone becomes a soccer expert for 1 month.

Goallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll :D
Go Socceroo's:D

Hot Hot Hot :D

Win the World Cup could be Brazil, England or Germany:)

Runner's up could be France, Agentina, Australia:D

Maybe some supporter might see a few UFO's:eek:

I'll be cheering for England (with a soft spot for the US too), but if I had to put money on it, I would put money on Spain, Brazil a close second, and Paraguay and Portugual as dark horses (although its hard to call Portugal a dark horse, I guess). The team that could really shock, I think, is Denmark, which might pull an upset to get out of its group and into the next round.

God bless CBC.ca!!!

Spain is my bet to win as well, runners up for me are the Netherlands, as much as I despise them (hey, healthy rivalry :p).
For what team I'm cheering is fairly obvious though, and with Ballack out, we might even stand a better chance, youngest team in our history of World Cups. :)
I think one of the African teams will make it to the semis this time, hard to tell which one before each team has played at least once though. Already correctly predicted the 1:1 earlier today, now bring it on, Uruguay!

You never know with World Cup Football - it's almost always unpredictable and the teams which are expected to win at the beginning frequently don't do very well. It's the unpredictability that makes it interesting. Obviously I want England to win tomorrow and they are the favourites but an upset is quite possible in the early stages. Should be a great match.

Tough start for France - Uruguay did well to hold them to a goalless draw, but France will need to pick up its game to advance into the tournament. They should make it out of their group, however.

Meanwhile, I agree about an African team doing well, and I would have picked Ivory Coast, but for (a) the injury to Didier Drogba and (b) the fact that they're in the "Group of Death" with Brazil and Portugal. Still, they could surprise... as could South Africa, at least to the extent of getting out of their group.

Spain is my bet to win as well, runners up for me are the Netherlands, as much as I despise them (hey, healthy rivalry :p).
For what team I'm cheering is fairly obvious though, and with Ballack out, we might even stand a better chance, youngest team in our history of World Cups. :)
I think one of the African teams will make it to the semis this time, hard to tell which one before each team has played at least once though. Already correctly predicted the 1:1 earlier today, now bring it on, Uruguay!

Spain would be my tip for the World cup they are by for the best side in the world at the moment, doesn't mean they will win it, it is a tournament after all. I love sides to win that are not powerhouses in Football terms like Australia and the USA. Both of these countries have decent sides you won't have said that about America 8 years ago but they could cause an upset against England? I love the Germany team they have good players perhaps though your team isn't as strong as years passed? Time will tell. I also fancy Holland so Spain would my number one choice and Holland my second choice. Ps those French lads robbed us in the qualifying stages:mad:

Tough start for France - Uruguay did well to hold them to a goalless draw, but France will need to pick up its game to advance into the tournament. They should make it out of their group, however.

Meanwhile, I agree about an African team doing well, and I would have picked Ivory Coast, but for (a) the injury to Didier Drogba and (b) the fact that they're in the "Group of Death" with Brazil and Portugal. Still, they could surprise... as could South Africa, at least to the extent of getting out of their group.

The man knows his 'Fussball'/football, France isn't the same since Zidane left, Ribery can't make up for it, as good as he is.

I'm really interested how Argentina and Brazil will do.

And on Sunday, Gareth, Blowfish, it's on. :)

It was a boring game France and Uruguay. The South Africa game with Mexico was a better game than the other game i mentioned.

Spain would be my tip for the World cup they are by for the best side in the world at the moment, doesn't mean they will win it, it is a tournament after all. I love sides to win that are not powerhouses in Football terms like Australia and the USA. Both of these countries have decent sides you won't have said that about America 8 years ago but they could cause an upset against England? I love the Germany team they have good players perhaps though your team isn't as strong as years passed? Time will tell. I also fancy Holland so Spain would my number one choice and Holland my second choice. Ps those French lads robbed us in the qualifying stages:mad:

Thanks Kieran, and I agree that 'Henry' cheated you out of the Cup.When it is obvious to people from another country, it should count for at least a test of scrutiny for the FIFA officials. but I guess France brings more tv-watchers then Ireland.

Thanks Kieran, and I agree that 'Henry' cheated you out of the Cup.When it is obvious to people from another country, it should count for at least a test of scrutiny for the FIFA officials. but I guess France brings more tv-watchers then Ireland.

Yea that is why Fifa wouldn't change there minds and have a replay. France has population of 6O million we have population of around 5 million not including the Northern Ireland population so a bigger country has more say in FiFA than we do. A that is the past we will have or revenge :D

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

Do you know dying. There was actually three handballs before the french player scored. There was a high ball into the box and player from france with his hand passed it to Henry, he then handled it twice preventing it going out for a Irish goal kick, he then flicked the ball to his player and scored. Crazy lol

I'm hoping for an Italian repeat since I'm Italian, although there are a few teams I wouldn't mind seeing win. I'd really like to see a new world cup winner like Spain or an African team. Or England, I'd be happy to see them win.
I like Portugal, but Ronaldo does not need a World Cup win to add to his arrogance.

I don't want to see France win, they don't deserve to be there.

I'm hoping for an Italian repeat since I'm Italian, although there are a few teams I wouldn't mind seeing win. I'd really like to see a new world cup winner like Spain or an African team. Or England, I'd be happy to see them win.
I like Portugal, but Ronaldo does not need a World Cup win to add to his arrogance.

I don't want to see France win, they don't deserve to be there.

grrrrrrrr :p

I hope you will, mate. :)
I'm already mentally preparing for our match against the 'Soocceroos'. 2:0, I say
;)

G'day dyingsun,

Have your tissues ready for a upset :D OZ & Germany 1-1

England & USA 2-1 Remember Washington 1812!:D

Don't you just love the banter of the World Game:)

Go all the way South Africa but don't blow one of those Horne's in my bloody ears:eek:

CIAO
Blfish

Well i'm off down the pub in a minute to watch the games for today, my local has a huge outdoor garden with loads of wide screen TV's everywhere, a barbecue and its supposed to be sunny later :)
Good luck to all your teams... and come on ENGLAND!!

Spain are the favourites imo but I have Holland and Portugal in my office sweepstake (and there's a prize for runner up) so I should hopefully get something from this world cup

Well i'm off down the pub in a minute to watch the games for today, my local has a huge outdoor garden with loads of wide screen TV's everywhere, a barbecue and its supposed to be sunny later :)
Good luck to all your teams... and come on ENGLAND!!

Spain are the favourites imo but I have Holland and Portugal in my office sweepstake (and there's a prize for runner up) so I should hopefully get something from this world cup

We'll meet in the semis, penalties then ;)

Back