• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Football/Soccer WorldCup

What's Brazil like during a World Cup match

I was in Brazil for 12 days during the last world cup in 1996 (hosted by Germany). It was astounding how the streets of Rio emptied into a ghost town even when Brazil played a group match, and even more so that immediately following each match, the police would close the main streets in Leblon and Ipanema so spontaneous street parties could take place uninterrupted by traffic. Even the Air Force flew over the city releasing green and yellow smoke trails behind each plane. As Schuler says, there was literally no-one on the streets. It felt kind of post-apocalyptic.

What about Switzerland beating Spain then? Is Switzerland a contender now? Anyone like to revise their forecast of Spain winning the cup?

Well done Switzerland and it helps to have all the banking supporters:D

Well done Switzerland and it helps to have all the banking supporters:D

The Swiss are no pushovers they have a good reputation but it was surprising for me and others they beat the Tournament Favourites.

I was in Brazil for 12 days during the last world cup in 1996 (hosted by Germany). It was astounding how the streets of Rio emptied into a ghost town even when Brazil played a group match, and even more so that immediately following each match, the police would close the main streets in Leblon and Ipanema so spontaneous street parties could take place uninterrupted by traffic. Even the Air Force flew over the city releasing green and yellow smoke trails behind each plane. As Schuler says, there was literally no-one on the streets. It felt kind of post-apocalyptic.

What about Switzerland beating Spain then? Is Switzerland a contender now? Anyone like to revise their forecast of Spain winning the cup?

Rio is weird, hehe. I used to go to Rio a lot when I was dating this girl who lived in Ipanema. And I used to be shocked to see people coming out of bank offices or ATM booths in bathing suits. Creepy.

Switzerland surprised everyone here too. Spain, on the other hand, is business as usual. They're seen as favorites - until they lose. :D

Argentina did really well yesterday, they'll be really hard to beat and I'm actually dreading to meet them in the knock-out stage if we make it there as well. I barely survived our meeting in 2006...

And France yesterday...man, were they lousy.Mexico played really really well though and didn't let them get into the game.
But still, not the same team since Zidane left, zero creativity and whats worse, no fighting spirit in them at all.Without a miracle, one of the 'big' teams already's going home.

Now, let's see how Germany does against Serbia today, will be a tough fight! :)

Argentina did really well yesterday, they'll be really hard to beat and I'm actually dreading to meet them in the knock-out stage if we make it there as well. I barely survived our meeting in 2006...

And France yesterday...man, were they lousy.Mexico played really really well though and didn't let them get into the game.
But still, not the same team since Zidane left, zero creativity and whats worse, no fighting spirit in them at all.Without a miracle, one of the 'big' teams already's going home.

Germany will walk all over them if they show the same skills as they did against Australia:)
However, Argentina have one weakness when it comes to pressure matches thats its players tend to make many fouls. Whereas Germany coach has great control over his players compared to many of the World Cup teams discipline is the key and lots of individual and team work skills.

Rumba:D

Germany are strong outfit, but they still lost the game, but they went down to ten men very early in the game with one of their players being sent off for a tackle. But they were a far better team over the 90 minutes and the Germans missed a numbers of chances on Goal.

Just watching the USA on the internet live streaming. I have taken my Holidays from Work. Two and half weeks off and will be heading on holidays next week.The USA are 2 NIL down against Slovenia for those who are interested.

The referee in our game vs Serbia was an utter and complete joke and dished out cards right and left to both sides for things they wouldn't even stop the match for in the Premier League, for example.

Here's hope this Clown never gets on the pitch again this tournament...

Anyhow, all in all it was a deserved win for Serbia, they defended well and had two,three very big chances in the second half when Germany tried to even the score.The missed Penalty hurts still though.. ;)

I'm still in fairly good spirits about our team, they fighted(fought it is ;) ) to the last minute. :)

Slovenia against the US was a really great watch as well, didn't think the US would come back that strong in the second half.And who would have predicted Slovenia scoring twice in the first ?

The England match...yeah well...

The referee in our game vs Serbia was an utter and complete joke and dished out cards right and left to both sides for things they wouldn't even stop the match for in the Premier League, for example.

Here's hope this Clown never gets on the pitch again this tournament...

Anyhow, all in all it was a deserved win for Serbia, they defended well and had two,three very big chances in the second half when Germany tried to even the score.The missed Penalty hurts still though.. ;)

I'm still in fairly good spirits about our team, they fighted to the last minute. :)

Slovenia against the US was a really great watch as well, didn't think the US would come back that strong in the second half.And who would have predicted Slovenia scoring twice in the first ?

The England match...yeah well...

Ya the panel for Irish World cup programming said the ref was awful he will never get a game again. Dietmar Hamann the Former German Footballer is doing some analyse for Irish tv and is member on the panel discussing this years World cup. Well England well i think my analyse of England has proven to be right so far. They were even worse for this game.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

France did not even want to be there. Those players had a falling out with the coach. They should be a ashamed of themselves of not wanting to win the game for their countrymen.

Kieran, I hope it is Karma coming back to 'Henry-hand- France', if so, Karma works well indeed. :)

Kieran, I hope it is Karma coming back to 'Henry-hand- France', if so, Karma works well indeed. :)

Well done Serbia and USA/Solveina/Algeria/England and Germany was defeated by strength and passion and poor offical rulings regarding the red card offence. The German player made contact with the ball first :) which proceeded to move away from the other player therefore it is not classed as an red card tackle ! The only rule that could be given as red card offence is contact with a player from behind and no contact with the ball!
OZ will lose 2-1.
Keep Kicking the Ball,
BF

Brazil is looking much better today. 1 X 0 against Ivory Coast by the end of the first half. Let's hope they score at least one more on the second one. :)

Was still a way better performance by the team, if they continue that way they can beat anyone. :)

Has anyone else read/heard the news of the french team totally falling apart?Anelka sent home, the team refusing to train etc....total Travesty.

And Italy today...man :p

I think what we've learned so far is that in the group stage, anything is possible. I think we've also learned that a lot of the traditionally best teams - France, England, Italy, Spain, Germany - have lost their ability to innovate and change, and that has made them fair game for newer, emerging powers like the United States, Ghana, Japan... and to smaller countries like Switzerland or Serbia who have nothing to lose.

Brazil looks really good. Argentina is strong, and I think the Dutch have a real shot. After that, it appears to be a crap-shoot.

Many of the so called Bigger Teams have failed to impress or shine at the World cup. For me, the Tournament has been disappointing so far. When we get to last 16, it will get more intense for teams. The teams that have impressed me are Brazil, Argentina and Germany. I Tipped Spain, but i am worried about their Defense.

Man, did Portugal destroy NK today...lets hope the 'glorious leader' won't kill anyone.

And it seems Spain is back to form.

Man, did Portugal destroy NK today...lets hope the 'glorious leader' won't kill anyone.

And it seems Spain is back to form.

He probably had a heart attack when Portugal scored seven goals on his team. Rumour is he picks the team. I bet you some of the North Korean will go missing before they return home lol I would.

Back