• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will be able to download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! FLASH! For a limited time, you can save up to 40% on your subscription. You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

COVID-19 News

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
The biggest issues were the refusal to recognize the threat, to ramp up testing, and to put in social distancing and other protective measures in a timely fashion.

Remember that the U.S. has, by far, the largest number of infections and deaths, despite having 4.25% of the world's population.

Trump's response has been to blame everyone else rather than do his job. He's even blaming Obama, which is preposterous.

Trump's crew of incompetents do not have any excuse for why things are so much worse in this country. How'd they manage that?

China? Right now, they will win the PR war worldwide because they are trying to move past the early failure to release the details of the infection.

Rather than demonize people, if Trump took a proactive attitude and played the role of empathic world leader guiding us on the path to a proper solution, he'd win lots of hearts and minds — even from his opposition.
It's not that I'm saying Americans don't have a right to be displeased with Trump. Personally, I don't like his style. It's obvious to me that he is his own worst enemy. His gigantic ego, and lack of emotional and political intelligence make him an easy target to manipulate. It also causes blind spots where decision making is concerned. He needs serious help. I imagine people have tried to get through to him, but have found it impossible.

Still, that doesn't justify blaming everything about the pandemic on him or twisting everything he says into a smear against him. There are many more variables than Trump. He's a small part of a much bigger picture. Basically, it's not that I think what you're saying is wrong. I just don't think that cherry picking your President's most stupid remarks to persecute him and divide your country during a time of crisis is the smartest approach to take.

Last edited:

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
I'm not cherrypicking when it comes to Trump. I'm pointing to the general trend of his behavior, which is nightmarish.

Also I'm concerned about the results. The U.S. was weeks late in ramping up testing, and it has MORE recorded infections and deaths than any other country on Earth. THAT is the main issue. There is no excuse for that!

Would another leader have done better? I'm no fan of VP Pence, not even close, but I think he is at the very least sane and he would have tried to do a good job to control the outbreak with the tools at hand.

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
I'm not cherrypicking when it comes to Trump.
Sure you are. It's just that the fruit is so plentiful it's impossible not to ;)

When I think of how much in ruins Trump must be on the inside, I sort of pity the guy. Setting all judgement aside for a brief moment, can you imagine how completely disillusioned he must feel with his view of himself and his country. Add all the pressure of the office, and it's a burden I wouldn't wish on anyone right now. I wonder if perhaps we'll see some transformation in him. The job is certainly the kind that could do that to someone. I can't see how anyone could go through it unchanged.

Last edited:

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Sure you are. It's just that the fruit is so plentiful it's impossible not to ;)

When I think of how much in ruins Trump must be on the inside, I sort of pity the guy. Setting all judgement aside for a brief moment, can you imagine how completely disillusioned he must feel with his view of himself and his country. Add all the pressure of the office, and it's a burden I wouldn't wish on anyone right now. I wonder if perhaps we'll see some transformation in him. The job is certainly the kind that could do that to someone. I can't see how anyone could go through it unchanged.
We've been waiting for a transformation of Trump for three-and-a-half years. He's only grown worse.

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
The price of Trump’s inaction for weeks:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. On March First ( the second date referred to in the article above ) there were 100 confirmed cases in the USA (SOURCE). So The President was supposed to think it was reasonable to compromise the lives of 328 million people because 100 people were sick? Plus the modellers haven't worked out all the other variables over the long term. An entirely different strategy may have saved more lives now and later. The lions share of the blame belongs to China, not your President ( no matter how much we don't like him ).

Last edited:

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Trump knew in January about the threat. He could have listened to his people who gave him lots of info about it.

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
Trump knew in January about the threat. He could have listened to his people who gave him lots of info about it.
He should have been listening well before this pandemic ever got started. Virologists have been warning for years that it's not a matter of if, but when, and that the nation was underprepared for a pandemic. For Trump and the nation to have been fully prepared, he would have had to start back in January 2017 when he was first elected, and have had foreknowledge of exactly what was coming. That's a rather tall order. But it would have paid-off. The question is will your government learn its lesson. Trump is already getting set to wind-down the Coronavirus task force. Then what? Will everyone go back to pretending it can't happen again?

Last edited:

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member