• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Bombs in Boston

Pixelsmith and RenaissanceLady ... both of you CHILL. If you MUST snipe at each other ... Do it in private notes. I will not ask again.

Decker

The NYPOST is the only one reporting that a suspect is in custody so until I can find some more supporting posts I will leave that in the possible not correct information pile.

Repots of an explosion at JFK libary as well may be connected....

got my ears on the police scanner and they are doing sweeps of the area and looking for other devices around the city... I gather and I also guess Don could confirm this, that at such times this would be common practice and a rather prudent thing to do.

The police chief seems to be backing off the suspect thing. Of course this race has a very large international following so the fact that a saudi national was injured wouldn't be so unusual but we are all familiar with the makeup of the 911 terrorists.

The police chief seems to be backing off the suspect thing. Of course this race has a very large international following so the fact that a saudi national was injured wouldn't be so unusual but we are all familiar with the makeup of the 911 terrorists.

Yeah that was why I was a bit suspect of the NYPOST on this. Could be right and they are questioning people so it could have been possible but I feel things are just to early to call as yet.

Sad to hear of these events and I suppose they demonstrate the need for constant vigilance. Reminds me specifically in the 1980's in the UK, but London especially, when it seemed there was an IRA bomb every other week.

But on the plus side - whoever is behind these bomb attacks will find out that the American people, like people of other nations, only get more resilient in the face of these cowardly attacks. These attacks will not cripple the country and they will not stop the American people living and enjoying their lives.

Do the bombers think people will give up and just stay home for the rest of their lives? Sorry Mr. Bomber, you underestimate us, you underestimate us by so much you just look stupid for even trying. 'insert deity' bless America.:)

Pixelsmith and RenaissanceLady ... both of you CHILL. If you MUST snipe at each other ... Do it in private notes. I will not ask again.

Decker

I suppose that when people snipe at each other there really is nothing good or productive unfolds, but I also think that if comments like "Please try not to get your panties in a bunch" and PMS references levelled at women posting on the forum need a better response from moderators than "CHILL." If outright sexist statements directed at knowm female posters are considered acceptable then is it also ok to make racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic and Islamaphobic comments as well?

Are these comments only ok some of the time? Only when it's 'just the guys talking"? Just what in fact are the limits here, and who has been invited to the forum to talk and who is not welcome? I know that the racism and sexism discussion has been explored here and here on this forum previously at various points and that there is still a lot of posts littered with all the familiar hatreds including every single one i listed above. Obviously it's hard to police this behavior.

I know that mods can't be everywhere at all times, but it strikes me that if a lot of the racist, sexist. homophobic, anti-Semitic etc. posts are still left to be read i suppose that tells everyone what is tolerated by the masses here. Unreported, sanctioned hatred makes strong statements about whose voice is wanted here at the Paracast Community. Everyone who posts here makes their own choices regarding this point based on the language used.

Here's an example from back in the day; why this thread is still up speaks to these ideas. I'm sure I could find worse if I decided to search more than two minutes. This thread gets full marks for being racist, sexist, anti-Semitic and Islamaphobic all at the same time: Two men face charges after Boston security scare | The Paracast Community Forums

BTW this is one of those community moments where speaking up counts. Silence speaks volumes.

I will never again gracefully take an insult from you.

I don't mind being twice the "lady" you are but I do mind having to also be twice the man - which admittedly isn't very hard. Now take your man pills and admit that the "controlled explosion" was because they were detonating one of the bombs they found. Only a child would hide behind facts that are misquoted and pretend it never occurred. You're almost old enough to be my father, so it's time you grew up.

You're not the only one who works for a living but you are the only one who uses that as an excuse for not doing your homework before making baseless accusations. That's exceptionally immature. Either stand by your statements and do actual research or admit that others can and will prove you wrong, sometimes repeatedly. Telling someone to "take your PMS pills" and "piss off" are only the words of someone who has lost the argument and any sense of civility.

I had asked in my first post that we avoid making accusations while the news is still breaking. You keep showing why. Therefore, I realize that as long as I'm here trying to stick to facts as the facts are known, you'll use that as an excuse to sling insults and distract from the tragedy. Therefore, I'll be the adult and back off and so you can have your little tantrum . My heart is actually breaking right now and I'm trying to see if any of my friends in Boston were hurt. I've only heard back from one.
I posted something I found interesting as soon as I read it, you asked for a source, I complied and you still got upset and ranted about me starting a conspiracy theory or something and I should do homework, there was not much homework to do as it had just happened and I was almost ready to leave work. I posted another story and the source and you continued to get all excited. I have no argument to lose because I didn't claim anything as fact. You are the one on attack and should apologize to me.
I was asked by someone I highly respect to apologize via a PM to you for hurting your feelings or be banned for 30 days. I prefer to handle that sort of thing here for all to see. I have nothing to hide.

I apologize for the PMS pill, panties in a bunch statement and for telling you to piss off.

Now please apologize for the backhanded "conspiracy/Alex Jones", "twice the lady/man" and the "usual, baseless accusations" comments because it hurt my feelings. :(

I suppose that when people snipe at each other there really is nothing good or productive unfolds, but I also think that if comments like "Please try not to get your panties in a bunch" and PMS references levelled at women posting on the forum need a better response from moderators than "CHILL." If outright sexist statements directed at knowm female posters are considered acceptable then is it also ok to make racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic and Islamaphobic comments as well?

Are these comments only ok some of the time? Only when it's 'just the guys talking"? Just what in fact are the limits here, and who has been invited to the forum to talk and who is not welcome? I know that the racism and sexism discussion has been explored here and here on this forum previously at various points and that there is still a lot of posts littered with all the familiar hatreds including every single one i listed above. Obviously it's hard to police this behavior.

Actually, it's not that hard to police this kind of behavior, it's really simple. Normally, Pixel's a decent guy if you just get past his idiotic conspiracy mongering, but I do agree that in this case he took it too far. Obviously when his hare brained, let's jump to conclusions conspiracy theory fell apart he got a little upset and lashed out. I'd be upset too if someone exposed my crackpot theory that I arrived at after misinterpreting the facts and doing 0 research. As for the limits of this forum, don't catch the mods on a bad day or attack one of their ideas or friends and pretty much anything goes, as long as you aren't slinging F-bombs, that's my interpretation of the limits around here anyways.

So for future reference:

Sexism= OK

Racism= OK

Calling a bigfoot researcher a dumbass= banned within 30 minutes

Got it.

Other than that I don't have anything to say but my heart goes out to the victims of this tragedy and I'd like to echo the sentiments of other level headed posters here and say that we shouldn't jump to any kind of conclusions yet, let's let law enforcement do their jobs and we'll see what happens.

I have no conspiracy theory and no one exposed a crack pot theory. Muadib and RLady are correct, I had done 0 research and was reposting info as I read it just like everyone else. I reposted what the Globe tweeted and remarked "imagine that." Someone else took it further.

For your information Burnt State, I chose to speak to both parties in private in order to cause no undo embarrassment. My chill remark was actually directed at all as I could see that emotions were getting flamed.

I have been around, not to mention here, for quite some time. I do know how this works. If you have a problem with how I moderate then write me in private ... but don't make the mistake that you are going to direct me on how I moderate especially in public. I do hope that is very clear.

Decker

Pickles, moderate your language please. I will not tolerate any more gasoline thrown on this thread nor will I tolerate a flame war.

Decker

Back