• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Announcing Our Listener's Roundtable

O.K. A for real question.
@ all four

If this listeners roundtable was actually a machination by gene and chris to coronate a new moderator and one of you was chosen what changes (if any) would you like to bring to the forum ?

@ all four

If this listeners roundtable was actually a machination by gene and chris to coronate a new moderator and one of you was chosen what changes (if any) would you like to bring to the forum ?

nukey_nuke_it_from_orbit_its_the_only_way_to_be_sure0.jpg

I kid, i kid......

Not sure id accept such an offer here, its been my experience moderating other forums that you are restricted by the role.
You have to set the bar, and as such you limit yourself.
You'd think being a moderator gives you great powah........
But in reality you must show even more restraint than you do as a free agent.

You cant expect a higher standard of behavior, than that you yourself bring to the table, as a moderator you have to err on the side of high standards and set a good example.

You naturally lose some freedom of expression in that position

@ all four

Let me put this to rest. We chose these guests because they have been active members of our forum with lots of strong opinions. We aren't coronating, but that sounds like an interesting idea.

Let me put this to rest. We chose these guests because they have been active members of our forum with lots of strong opinions. We aren't coronating, but that sounds like an interesting idea.

I was being a wise guy to an extent. i know that if there was an interest in your part in adding another moderator you'd choose a more straightforward way but because they are strong members with strong opinions I thought it to be a valid question. I was trying to come up with something that these guys may not have ever breeched, as for the most part we know what their feelings and insights are, so let me post this one as I didn't see anything in the personal experiences column...except for pixels wrapping his car around his ear in following an uap. I think I got that right....

What brought you guys to this forum, other than the intelligent discussions is there something that you experienced that you needed to gather more insight on? How did your interest in this field start?

IF I was chosen as a moderator/cohost, etc...I would bring to the table a biting sarcasm and resounding disgust for any point of view that wasn't mine.

........oh wait, that's my plan if I ever become a politician. Well, maybe it still applies.

;)

Either way, you have my vote.

IF I was chosen as a moderator/cohost, etc...I would bring to the table a biting sarcasm and resounding disgust for any point of view that wasn't mine.

........oh wait, that's my plan if I ever become a politician. Well, maybe it still applies.

;)

Actually, i have a question about some of the political 'bickering' on the forum for all of you. We all know the most problematic part of legtimizing paranormal discussion is to weed out the noise in order to explore a clearer signal. Especially embarrassing is the noise of competing factions and people wasting time insulting each other. How do you, as a forum member, work to encourage positive civil discussion, especially when you strongly disagree with someone else's viewpoint or belief?

Here's another question for the four: When it comes to the UFO phenomenon there is such an incredible diversity of crafts, alien life forms, strange mechanical objects, orbs etc. that are reported by witnesses. What do you think this suggests - are we dealing with a series of different phenomenon, E.T.? Is earth the interstellar equivalent of Disneyland? Or is all this high strangeness just a big show put on by some other life form for the sake of experimentation, distraction or just mere observation? What's your best guess on this mystery and why?

Do you feel that there are any cult-like elements within the field of the paranormal? That is, do you feel that there are any personalities in the field who have assumed a sort of cult leader status? Are there any groups that you feel have taken on a pattern of blind obedience to a stated ideal or leader, at the expense of free thought?

Hi guys,

I have a question I'd love to hear answered on the show. Speaking as a relative newcomer to the forums and ufology in general, I am curious: Do any of you have a particular case, theory, or phenomenon that you find especially compelling, or that resonates with you personally? Is there a ufological "white whale" to your Captain Ahab, so to speak? If so, what is it?

What brought you guys to this forum, other than the intelligent discussions is there something that you experienced that you needed to gather more insight on? How did your interest in this field start?

• I had tried several other forums and I didn't like their convoluted TOS or their restrictive rules on editing past posts. I wanted the freedom to update old posts as necessary or even delete them, and although Gene cautions users to use those features with discretion, he's never come down hard. In my view this makes the Paracast the fairest and most respectful of individual user's rights of any forum I've been on.
  • The forum's associated programming is top notch and focused on my primary area of interest ( UFOs ).
  • The participants here have all been really interesting and good natured. Although I don't admit any guilt on my part by saying this, I realize that my persistence in holding people accountable for what they say can sometimes be irritating, yet everyone here has demonstrated a tolerance level well above that of other forums I've been in. Consequently, everyone here whom I've had a discussion with has earned a level of personal respect that is a notch above the others.
  • There is a refreshing absence of cyberbullies and flamers. However I would caution that I'm a little disappointed in the mockery I've seen directed at the religious people. Not that I'm religious, or that the points that some mockery makes about religious belief aren't valid, but IMO mockery makes those points in an intentionally hurtful way. I don't like to see points made in that manner, even if they are correct. I'd still like to see a little more discretion there ( and I think I just inadvertently answered another question ).

• There is a refreshing absence of cyberbullies and flamers. However I would caution that I'm a little disappointed in the mockery I've seen directed at the religious people. Not that I'm religious, or that the points that some mockery makes about religious belief aren't valid, but IMO mockery makes those points in an intentionally hurtful way. I don't like to see points made in that manner, even if they are correct. I'd still like to see a little more discretion there ( and I think I just inadvertently answered another question ).

Unashamedly guilty, But its my opinion you dont do a delusional person any favours by being gentle about their delusion, The Greer supporters and the Billy Meierites get the same treatment.

Mockery ie . Scornfully contemptuous ridicule, is a valid response to such obvious idiots imo.

Given that they have abandoned reason (greers lot, meiers lot and the religious lot)

reasonenemyoffaith.jpg

Whats left ?

Scornfully contemptuous ridicule, is a valid counter imo.

They must imo be marginalised in any way possible, too much is at stake.

Im confident that if Michael Horn and his cronies were in here telling you "Billy" has the answers, and you should subscribe to them. You'd mock their faulty logic too

The religious dont get a free pass

Unashamedly guilty, But its my opinion you dont do a delusional person any favours by being gentle about their delusion, The Greer supporters and the Billy Meierites get the same treatment. Mockery ie . Scornfully contemptuous ridicule, is a valid response to such obvious idiots imo.

Although the truth can sometimes hurt, I do not believe that it should be subverted it into a weapon with the intent of hurting anyone. There are many good people who are simply at different points along the same path we are. Clearly however there are others who are not so innocent. Therefore we must be discerning. It would be a mistake to paint everyone with the same brush. Is this not worth some consideration?

Back