• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ron Regehr: The Roswell Slides & the Ramey Memo: Is there a future for analytical ufology?

When will you post the pictures? I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to see them. Why haven't they been posted yet?
Hi Chuckleberry, I believe you can find ALL of the Roswell photos on line--with the possible exception of the Bettmann photo, which is virtually identical to the other Ramey photo--without the "doctoring'. Also, give us a wee break--we want to keep some stuff for a surprise so you'll buy our book!
I will post them, along with an animated short, as soon as I figure out how and where.

Hi Constance, We're really hoping to have copies available at Roswell for the Roswell Fest over the 4th of July weekend. However, that is EXTREMELY optimistic, as Neil, my co-author, is still working on some exciting new developments!

I look forward to reading it whenever it becomes available. We need this book.

Hello Mr Regehr, I have just been watching Arthur C Clarke's mysterious world series, at the beginning of each episode the narrator says "Arthur C Clarke, author of a 2001 a space odyssey, and inventor of the communications satellite".
What I am wondering is do you think that being imaginative and inventive are the same thing, or in other words, do you think that being interested in mysteries is an essential part of creating totally new technology.
For example do we need science fiction, to inspire us, like in the case of 20,000 leagues under the sea (nuclear submarines) or the Ironclads (Tanks). I am sorry for this clunky question: what I am trying to ask is: do you feel science fiction played a role in your designing of the Satellite you mentioned?

I am really looking forward to the show, and thank you for taking time to answer questions on the forum.
Your open and honest answers regarding your book are very refreshing.
Best wishes.

nwbtcomp-ani.gif rdbg8xlv-sml.gif
Hello Mr Regehr, I have just been watching Arthur C Clarke's mysterious world series, at the beginning of each episode the narrator says "Arthur C Clarke, author of a 2001 a space odyssey, and inventor of the communications satellite".
What I am wondering is do you think that being imaginative and inventive are the same thing, or in other words, do you think that being interested in mysteries is an essential part of creating totally new technology.
For example do we need science fiction, to inspire us, like in the case of 20,000 leagues under the sea (nuclear submarines) or the Ironclads (Tanks). I am sorry for this clunky question: what I am trying to ask is: do you feel science fiction played a role in your designing of the Satellite you mentioned?

I am really looking forward to the show, and thank you for taking time to answer questions on the forum.
Your open and honest answers regarding your book are very refreshing.
Best wishes.
Hello, Han. Interesting. I stopped watching sci-fi in 1960--with the exception of the original Star Wars in 1977. Have not read any since high school--but I was friends with Ray Bradbury.
Clarke did not invent the comsats, but pointed out that there are certain distances above our little blue marble where satellites will "fall" at the precise rate our planet rotates, making them appear to be stationary whilst speeding through space. This distance is optimum for placing SOME satellites.
I never needed (or had) sci-fi to inspire me as the human condition and our need for certain services is inspiration enough. I search for answers, as do most engineers.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• new_Corbis_bettmann_complete_600-sml.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 28
Thank you very much for your answer, Moby Dick is one of my favourite films of all time, (Mr Bradbury wrote the screenplay I have just discovered) sorry for going off topic.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

Back to Roswell I have a theory regarding what happened, but no one seems to like it, except me. I need to do more reading on the subject, so I am definitely going to get your book when it is out.
Best wishes.

Thank you very much for your answer, Moby Dick is one of my favourite films of all time, (Mr Bradbury wrote the screenplay I have just discovered) sorry for going off topic.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

Back to Roswell I have a theory regarding what happened, but no one seems to like it, except me. I need to do more reading on the subject, so I am definitely going to get your book when it is out.
Best wishes.
I look forward to hearing your theory.

In a nutshell I believe that a Fu-Go/Zeppelin inspired, American Nuclear Bomb delivery platform was being tested, possibly with occupants (chimps in high altitude suits) but I am struggling to establish if this is true (the occupants).
I have copied this across from another thread, it is a work in progress and there are many issue left to address.
I will try to compile a more clear and concise version (including exact AA/Flak range charts)
I have also revised the shape of the balloon depicted.

There is something about the timing of the Roswell incident, it is at least 5 years before the first U2 Flew and at least 7 years before the First ICBM (excluding the German tests of the Projekt Amerika A9/A10 ICBM because they did not have a Nuclear Bomb).
It is important to note that in order for the American B-29s to deploy their Nuclear bombs, Saipan, Tinian and Guam had to be captured first. In other words it was not possible to fly fully loaded from America to Japan directly.
In 1947 although the B-50 was being Developed it still only had a range of about 2500 (two thousand five hundred) Miles (combat/loaded range) and the distance between New York and Moscow is about 4500 (four and a half thousand) miles. In short they could not directly strike each other using contemporary bombers.

My suggestion is of a FU-GO inspired balloon that could have potentially been a "stopgap" whilst ICBMs and longer range higher flying Bombers were being developed.
upload_2015-4-9_21-35-9-png.4668

The above is a naive attempt to illustrate the potential of a balloon weapons platform.

1. The Canopy, I am no expert on balloon configuration, but my understanding is that the amount of weight a Balloon/s can lift is only limited by the size and capacity of said Balloon/s. I believe that a scaled down Warhead could be feasibly carried by a Balloon.

2. By 1947 Radio control was already quite advanced, and although technically "fly by wire" and of limited success "Operation Aphrodite" demonstrates the "outside of the box" thinking that was prevalent in this era.

3. It would be too dangerous to risk sending an armed warhead aloft with a Balloon so the ability to arm and fire remotely would be essential, and could be achieved using R/C.

4. Scaling down the Bomb would mean it required less lift to be carried up, resulting in a smaller Balloon/s.

I feel that it important to address the issue of "aiming" such a device/s. I fully understand that winds are unpredictable and can result in Balloons being blown off course, however if you were to send a multitude at once from different locations, a percentage would make the target area. It is important to note that radio triangulation had been used by the RAF for precision bombing (Mosquito) code name "OBOE" and this could realistically be used to track the balloon/s position, and arm and fire once in the target area, also if the bomb was detonated at altitude the fallout would be spread over a huge area.

The device I have depicted is very basic, however the scientists captured during operation paperclip would have been familiar with "zeppelin"/Balloon technology given that Zeppelins were used by the Germans in WWI and their psychological effect had been well documented, they also had experience aiming "dumb" rockets like the V1 which was essentially just a flying bomb that fell from the sky when its fuel ran out, part of the terror factor of this weapon was its random nature.

Several FU-GO's had been recovered by the US but given that Japan was part of the axis, I wonder if they had gained this knowledge from German Scientists?

I am convinced that it was something more than a "listening device" because of the miss handled cover-up which I feel was in part intended to "worry" the Russians. That is to say I believe that the intention was to convince Russia that the US was in possession of a weapon that could not be countered with "conventional" technology i.e Anti Aircraft Guns or Interceptor/Fighters. SAMs that could reach the altitude of a balloon did not appear until the 1950s (Project Nike).

I should also mention that the US already had done a lot of research into balloons and that in 1935 the manned Balloon "Explorer II" reached an altitude of 22.066 km (72,400 ft) well beyond the range of any counter measure until the 1950s.

Apologies for any spelling or terminology mistakes.

In a nutshell I believe that a Fu-Go/Zeppelin inspired, American Nuclear Bomb delivery platform was being tested, possibly with occupants (chimps in high altitude suits) but I am struggling to establish if this is true (the occupants).
I have copied this across from another thread, it is a work in progress and there are many issue left to address.
I will try to compile a more clear and concise version (including exact AA/Flak range charts)

There is something about the timing of the Roswell incident, it is at least 5 years before the first U2 Flew and at least 7 years before the First ICBM (excluding the German tests of the Projekt Amerika A9/A10 ICBM because they did not have a Nuclear Bomb).
It is important to note that in order for the American B-29s to deploy their Nuclear bombs, Saipan, Tinian and Guam had to be captured first. In other words it was not possible to fly fully loaded from America to Japan directly.
In 1947 although the B-50 was being Developed it still only had a range of about 2500 (two thousand five hundred) Miles (combat/loaded range) and the distance between New York and Moscow is about 4500 (four and a half thousand) miles. In short they could not directly strike each other using contemporary bombers.

My suggestion is of a FU-GO inspired balloon that could have potentially been a "stopgap" whilst ICBMs and longer range higher flying Bombers were being developed.

The above is a naive attempt to illustrate the potential of a balloon weapons platform.

1. The Canopy, I am no expert on balloon configuration, but my understanding is that the amount of weight a Balloon/s can lift is only limited by the size and capacity of said Balloon/s. I believe that a scaled down Warhead could be feasibly carried by a Balloon.

2. By 1947 Radio control was already quite advanced, and although technically "fly by wire" and of limited success "Operation Aphrodite" demonstrates the "outside of the box" thinking that was prevalent in this era.

3. It would be too dangerous to risk sending an armed warhead aloft with a Balloon so the ability to arm and fire remotely would be essential, and could be achieved using R/C.

4. Scaling down the Bomb would mean it required less lift to be carried up, resulting in a smaller Balloon/s.

I feel that it important to address the issue of "aiming" such a device/s. I fully understand that winds are unpredictable and can result in Balloons being blown off course, however if you were to send a multitude at once from different locations, a percentage would make the target area. It is important to note that radio triangulation had been used by the RAF for precision bombing (Mosquito) code name "OBOE" and this could realistically be used to track the balloon/s position, and arm and fire once in the target area, also if the bomb was detonated at altitude the fallout would be spread over a huge area.

The device I have depicted is very basic, however the scientists captured during operation paperclip would have been familiar with "zeppelin"/Balloon technology given that Zeppelins were used by the Germans in WWI and their psychological effect had been well documented, they also had experience aiming "dumb" rockets like the V1 which was essentially just a flying bomb that fell from the sky when its fuel ran out, part of the terror factor of this weapon was its random nature.

Several FU-GO's had been recovered by the US but given that Japan was part of the axis, I wonder if they had gained this knowledge from German Scientists?

I am convinced that it was something more than a "listening device" because of the miss handled cover-up which I feel was in part intended to "worry" the Russians. That is to say I believe that the intention was to convince Russia that the US was in possession of a weapon that could not be countered with "conventional" technology i.e Anti Aircraft Guns or Interceptor/Fighters. SAMs that could reach the altitude of a balloon did not appear until the 1950s (Project Nike).

I should also mention that the US already had done a lot of research into balloons and that in 1935 the manned Balloon "Explorer II" reached an altitude of 22.066 km (72,400 ft) well beyond the range of any counter measure until the 1950s.

Interesting. What evidence do you have to support your theory?
While R/C tech was somewhat advanced, the radio part was extremely limited. Range was embarrassingly short--almost line of sight for R/C. All electronics were tube powered and very inefficient.
Scaling down a nuclear warhead in 1947 was not a consideration. The "Atomic Cannon" tests were still a long ways away, and would be of no use for tactical purposes--leaving only the large weapons. The B-36 was designed to enable the bomber fleet to carry both nuclear weapons and defense--and reach out further.
Zeppelins were low-altitude, aluminum-skinned craft and would have not served any purpose I can think of in this scenario. They used hydrogen gas, which has 4X the lifting capability of He, which was used for all US balloon projects--especially since Hindenburg.
I looked over the Ramey office photos again and can see nothing there that would support your hypothesis--but it is interesting!
Thank you for looking at alternatives instead of walking lock-step with everyone else. UFOlogy needs folks who know how to think!

Do you think then that the debris in the office image above is actual debris from the crash site?
The general story is that it was swapped out before the photo shoot, but I'm a little confused when you say you looked over the Ramey office photos again regarding the previous posters theory.

Last edited:
Interesting. What evidence do you have to support your theory?
While R/C tech was somewhat advanced, the radio part was extremely limited. Range was embarrassingly short--almost line of sight for R/C. All electronics were tube powered and very inefficient.
Scaling down a nuclear warhead in 1947 was not a consideration. The "Atomic Cannon" tests were still a long ways away, and would be of no use for tactical purposes--leaving only the large weapons. The B-36 was designed to enable the bomber fleet to carry both nuclear weapons and defense--and reach out further.
Zeppelins were low-altitude, aluminum-skinned craft and would have not served any purpose I can think of in this scenario. They used hydrogen gas, which has 4X the lifting capability of He, which was used for all US balloon projects--especially since Hindenburg.
I looked over the Ramey office photos again and can see nothing there that would support your hypothesis--but it is interesting!
Thank you for looking at alternatives instead of walking lock-step with everyone else. UFOlogy needs folks who know how to think!

Thank you so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate the criticism, especially regarding R/C, I had miss understood the OBOE system, when I first read about it, it said that the bombing was controlled by one of the radio stations, however this meant that rather than the radio station releasing the bomb, the bombardier on the aircraft was given a prompt signal to release the payload at the correct time.
The only way around this is to suggest that the "Balloon" had to be manned, in order to arm and release the bomb.
I can say that with some certainty that there were and still are many Allied "radio" stations dotted around Europe, so I think that maybe control could be passed from station to station en route. Having a crew could also help with steering. Or maybe the Balloon could have been shipped to an Allied country closer to Russia.

I have looked at the Little Boy Bomb, and it weighed around 10,000 lb or about 5 tonnes. so you would need a huge canopy to lift it, but I don't think it is impossible, especially if every possible weight reduction was implemented, however having a crew would greatly increase the weight because of the essential life support systems.

Maybe what was being tested was a scaled down version or just parts of the array.

I think the reason that I think I am on to something is because of the limited AA defense systems at the time, once the Balloon got to a certain altitude no contemporary fighter/interceptor or AA gun had the remotest chance of shooting it down.

I know it is a terrible and horrible idea, but in a doomsday scenario ethics and morals go out the window, maybe this is why there has been a veil of secrecy and disinformation, because unlike ICBM's that have the illusion of being able to target military installations, the weapon I propose would only really be effective against soft targets (civilians).

Alternatively maybe it was purely a reconnaissance system, like the U2, which was initially flown by British RAF pilots recruited by the CIA, a fact that was covered up until very recently.

One final thought, I have read about HE3 do you think that this could have been a possible alternative to HE? as my understanding is that it is about half the weight of ordinary helium.

I have to address the point you make about actual evidence, I have to concede that I don't really have anything apart from suspicion, especially about the idea of it being a simple weather Balloon.

I have already seen the value of sharing my idea because you very quickly pointed out some obvious errors, that were not so obvious to me, I maybe guilty of trying to make the evidence fit my own solution, so again thank you for your response and kind words.

Best wishes.

I had a close friend who was an abductee, and he shared stories about how they stopped his kitchen clock, he requested they choose another entry point, and they did. He had a PhD in Electrical Engineering and designed medical devices. He claimed his ideas were inspired by his visitors.
What do you make of that? The person sounds competent and like a critical thinker so to what do you attribute his alien technological inspirations? Did he describe these experiences as internal events or external events?

Do you think then that the debris in the office image above is actual debris from the crash site?
The general story is that it was swapped out before the photo shoot, but I'm a little confused when you say you looked over the Ramey office photos again regarding the previous posters theory.
The debris in the photographs is part of what was found on the Foster ranch and brought to FWAAF by Maj. Marcel, et. al. Which photo shoot are you referring to? We believe there were three.
I looked again to ensure that there was nothing there that could or would be confused with any part of the scenario outlined by Han.

What do you make of that? The person sounds competent and like a critical thinker so to what do you attribute his alien technological inspirations? Did he describe these experiences as internal events or external events?
He was quite competent in his field. His last 6 years (from age 55 to 62) he lived as a total recluse, NEVER leaving his house. On oxygen, yet still smoked a pack or more per day. Competency in one's chosen field does not always transfer to one's life. His experiences were real and physical according to his statements to me.

The debris in the photographs is part of what was found on the Foster ranch and brought to FWAAF by Maj. Marcel, et. al. Which photo shoot are you referring to? We believe there were three.
I looked again to ensure that there was nothing there that could or would be confused with any part of the scenario outlined by Han.

Ah, I see. I am not too familiar with the particulars. I thought that it was alleged that the USAF switched in regular weather balloon wreckage before any photo shoots. I must need to read your book.

I had also understood that random debris was used in place of the wreckage from the "saucer." Why would they use the real parts if they are saying it's a weather balloon?
Also regarding the debluring software; it's only $49, not what ever was stated in the show, and you can try it for free.
As a professional image editor I can state that if you switch to a larger, higher resolution image, such as the TIFF version would be, you cannot follow the debluring recipe posted on line. It won't work.
I think it's very obvious that was a mummy as the placard said. Why would they be displaying a non human body in a museum setting anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure other bright people have pointed this out, but I wanted to say that it should not be a surprise that Mr. Regehr was unable to duplicate the deblur effects on the 2nd file given to him by the Roswell Dream team. He stated that he was able to use the first available placcard image and the deblur software and mimic the success which shows the sign referenced the mummy of a boy. However, he said when he tried it again on the "new" image provided to him by the Dream Team, he got nothing.

I would offer up the software creates a blur model based on a variety of variables, dpi, the size of the image, crop and so forth. As such, the blur model is unique to that one image. Therefore, you could not apply a pre-existing blur model to a different, albeit similar photo, because the parameters will no doubt be different.

An entirely new blur model would have to be created for the new photo, in this case the 2nd one. Again, unless you understand this sort of software, it is ignorant to go on the radio and claim something is a hoax, because you blindly pushed some buttons and couldn't reproduce something.

Possibly because it is the ONLY UFO case where even the most die-hard skeptic/debunker must agree the gov't lied to the public about the event. First, they claimed they had in their possession a flying disc. Then they said it was a "weather gadget". One of them is an out-and-out lie.
Both explanations could be out-and-out lies and/or disinformation and/or incompetence!

Two other well published UFO events happened within weeks of Roswell, so either the aliens have landed "once again" or this may be an organized "disinformation" campaign to mislead our perceived enemies both within and outside our national borders. Deception is a major aspect of cold and hot warfare and spy-craft. The American people do NOT deserve "the truth" about any of this. These are National Security issues that go well beyond your need to know or understand.

If these UFO events were orchestrated by the "MIB PTB", then these were/are highly guarded and compartmentalized Above Top Secret agendas that very few people within the military or secret services were ever aware of its true purpose and agendas. IMO.

Fate magazine and Hollywood were involved at least indirectly, and perhaps wittingly, which certainly was the beginning of all these popularized alien/ufo mythologies they helped to create and spread within the science fiction fantasy worlds of people interested in such subjects. This is now a trillion dollar industry based on the science fiction of alien existence and contact with earthlings, and much of astronomy and astrobiology is now focused to discover life on other planets.

Don't forget, Bill Moore and Berlitz started-up this whole publicity machine with a book about Roswell in 1980, otherwise there would be no Roswell UFO crash in the public mind to debate this now. At a minimum this Roswell story was always about "media hype" because it sells and makes trillions of dollars when ET aliens are involved. The truth??? Be damned...!

Where is the truth in any of this? You do NOT have a need to know, right? Money, the MIC, Fate, and Hollywood are the root of all this alien mystery entertainment.

The biggest problem with this proposal is the extreme weight of nuclear weapons in 1947. They weighed upward of 10,000 pounds!

Back