• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Religion

And, trained, this whole stuff started how long ago with a simple topic posted about Jesus, which ballooned into the disgusting stuff that went on ad nauseam. My question to you is, where along that spectrum, did you say, hey, you two, and we know who they were, hold on and let's get back to the subject?

I don't understand what you are trying to get at here. You think I should have done something or another to mitigate the bloodshed? I think you should look at the very beginning of that thread and ask yourself if it was posted with some intent on causing a stir in the first place. I think tyder got just the sort of reaction he anticipated. The red capes get waved, who can blame bull headed folks like myself from charging? My denial of the existence of the Jesus portrayed in the Bible isn't based on ignorance and I took exception to the insinuation that the existence of a historical Jesus is somehow a given. You'll have to forgive me. (no pun intended)

Kim I'm not being coy. You just seem to get so frustrated by people that don't think religion is that important. I also don't think you know me too well.
I'm not against it and I'm not for it. It's just there.
Is there a reason why it's so important to you?

With the link I posted, it was just something I found on reddit that I thought was interesting. That's it. I wanted people to see it in this thread because I think it's relevant to the discussion.

I do find it funny when we get Hitler thrown at us .. well Hitler was a Christian and a devout Roman Catholic .. In fact in "mein kampf" he calls it his Christian duty to stamp out the Jews.

Not "thrown" at you -- man your sensitive. Hitler was the kind of person that I think we both take issue with. By his actions, which went beyond the hatred of Jews, I think we can agree (and those of his cohorts) cannot be representative of Christians, or Germanic peoples, or Europeans etc. The Nazi state had no time for Christianity -- although it was looking towards the Nordic gods as a source of religious identity. Like Stalin with the Orthodox churches, when it suited him he would reach out the church, when it no longer suited his purposes he would turn his back. He was also a devout vegetarian -- don't get me started on them. If he was as devout as he claims, he would have had the protestants rounded up for not being Roman Catholic as well. Hitler belongs on the list as much as Franklin, Twain and Jefferson belonged on the list that got me involved in the first place. I'm not saying such documents don't exist, but no one has yet to refer me to any personal document where those three individuals (at least) claim to be atheists. Plus, I don't think and have never said that atheists are 'evil" now who's throwing stuff?

The fact is that while people can openly profess to be of one religion or another and even attend assemblies and engage in rituals that does not mean they believe any of it. Religious affiliation can be driven by family or national politics rather personal conviction. People do things for a wide variety of reasons and participating in a religion isn't necessarily driven by personal religious belief. So it can be problematic when you try to sort out someone else's belief system from associations and the like. At least one biographer I read portrayed Hitler as believing he was on a mission from God to bring glory back to Germany. Just who that God was in his mind is big question.

Jabbermocky is so "spot on" here in his post above. Carl Jung wrote a long essay he entitled woton, attributing the movement promulgated by the nazis as a horrifically misguided urge in the psyche that became horribly inflated. The word is another for the Norse god Odin, but to attribute that to any intimation that the nazis were religiously, per se, basing their movement on religion, much less Christianity, is absurd. Jung, as is his style, is dealing with a human's psyche, and the dangers of discarding the unconscious contents of an individual's or a group's psyche(s). Not to acknowledge the unconscious, not to Integrate it with the conscious, that process called individuation by Jung, can be disastrous for a person or a whole nation, in this case Germany under hitler. A bit oversimplified there admittedly by me, but jabbermocky is very correct above. Kim

Oh, if this is the reason Angelo thought I was pompous, though I think he just thinks that generally: I mean in a couple of posts back, I ended it with "I am the teacher administering the cure.". That wasn't me, that was quoting one of the bright lights in the firmament of this whole discussion. That quote, summing up his role I guess, was continued with, "it feels good." Kim

Modern man – (Homo sapiens) came into being about 200.000 years ago. It is easy to understand that man at that time, lacking knowledge and better models of explanations, could have it that the world was ruled by invisible forces or spirits. The spirits ruled the seasons, the weather, the wind, the animals, the crops, the fertility etc. About 7000 years ago man created the first great civilizations, and about 5000 years ago they invented the art of writing – the very basis for all the higher civilizations later. Through many thousands of years man has acquired more and more experience and knowledge about the world. By the art of writing this knowledge could be written down and kept, be systematized and passed on. In this way our understanding of nature has gradually increased. Little by little one understood more and more about processes working in the nature and how the world functions. There was no longer need of spirits to explain the world. But the spirits, however, didn`t completely disappear.
The last 2000 years mankind has been ridden (haunted) by a stupidifying nightmare. A global public nuisance that came into being in the Middle East. It came into existence in a time and and environment marked with a magic way of thinking, ethnic nationalism and sectarian wishful thinking in a patriarchal society built on superstition and religious rules. These ideas got entry in the top administration of the Roman Empire. By this it got political power and became quickly a world religion. About 1400 years ago a new variant of the same religious regurgitation was smeared together in the Arabian Peninsula – and these two scourges have ever since actually drowned the world in religious muck. Today, after having developed sciences, controlled electricity, atomic energy, fought diseases that tormented mankind for thousands of years, explored space and landed on the moon and even charted the building stones of life itself (DNA) – the world still stands up to its armpits in religious muck.
Why?

Still millons of adults and otherwise mentally healthy men stick to 2000 years old delusions and superstition which in the starting point falls apart on its absurdity and is completely free from any logic and without any credibility.
Why?

And why on earth is it a muddle-headed intolerant desert religion from a backward nomadic tribe society in the Middle East that has been preferred an officially approved delusion of the West ?
Religion - scourge of the world

No, T.O. in this case I didn't expect that reaction. :confused: The question, at least for me. Was is there evidence of a historical figure that walked the earth in Palestine. Again, for me it was answered in the affirmative. I didn't know it would get into a absolute silly shout down the way it did. It appears to have caused hard feelings and I would have found a different forum or venue to discuss it on if I had known. Anyway, I enjoy talking the paranormal and the inner diminsional vs the nuts and bolts ufo stuff. I don't give either of those more or less creedence than the other at this time. But, I'm done talking about religion on this forum. Well, I keep saying that and then I keep talking about it. It's a conspiracy I tell ya. Anyway, I'm not an atheist and I'm not a religious fundi. I'm traveling through. :cool:
Peace,
Steve

Check your family tree...........

The law of Moses barred those of illegitimate birth from entering into the assembly of God: "A bastard shall not enter into the assembly of Yahweh; even to the tenth generation shall none of his enter into the assembly of Yahweh" (Dt. 23:2).

http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/2bast94.html

http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/2mamz95.html

So what did the Hebrew word mamzer mean? Scholarship offers us three choices: a person born of adultery, a person born of incest, or a person born of a forbidden or mixed marriage. Unfortunately for our inerrantist friends, we can give them their choice of definitions and it won't matter, because all of the definitions pose serious problems for the inerrancy doctrine.

How pissed off would you be having led a good Xstian life only to find your great great grandad was a bastard or of mixed marriage..........

That would mean you, your kids, your kids kids........

Doesnt seem fair does it :p

Your kids and your kids kids etc etc will burn in torment for all eternity because their great great great gandaddy was illigitimate ?

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17–19)

I make no comment or allege anything specific here. I just provide the following "funny" perspective on ONE specific thing mentioned by someone. We are given a link to some cartoons on The Brick Testament website. They illustrate rib tickling cartoons based on the Old Testament, books of which comprise the Jewish scriptures, too, of course.

I found this one particularly rib splitting, and this post of mine limits itself purposely to just ONE specific thing: USURY.

Here's the link. Click on the arrows to get the full import of the humor about usury:

The Brick Testament

Remember that the link to this website was given by someone else, and it's loaded with many other side splitting examples of, in internet parlance, rolling on the floor laughing my.................... I'm just giving the link to ONE cartoon on ONE subject: USURY

You know, those cartoons reminded me of some research I'd done on some other "funny" and laugh-myself-hoarse pictorials. I did a search and found some more examples that clearly more than merely allude to USURY:

Early Nazi Posters

The "funny" ones are the 6th, the 17th, and the 37th down from the top example.

The "gift" of usury is from, as is commonly "known," "a muddle-headed intolerant desert religion from a backward nomadic tribe society in the Middle East THAT HAS BEEN PREFERRED (capitals mine) an officially approved delusion of the West."

This allegation toward this "tribe," usury, and the people of this "tribe," as "preferred" is a well known allegation that still persists today. I merely point out the hilarity of these pictorials. Kim

I see my link to the specific usury cartoons did not go through to take you directly to them. You have to click on the link above, as given, too, by the original poster, and click on the "money lending" cartoon. Kim

Christianity and Islam have since their very beginnings been used in bloody political fight for power. Nobody is obviously easier to lead than who have a religious conviction. There is clearly no crime or disgracefulnes that cannot that cannot be justified from these religions. God is after all above every wordly law.

The trouble about the Mohammed drawings showed with desirable clarity how these mechanisms function. This case also shows why religion isn`t anything just to be ignored as just a private matter. The missionary command of both Christianity and Islam and their pig-headed followers` faith in their own infallibility and their god-given right make these religions represent dangerous threats not only against our freedom of opinion and expression, but also against life and property.

The monotheistic religions have been the very prescription for intolerance and hatred, for conflicts, mass murder and war from their beginnings. It is high time to send them on the scrap of history, where they notoriously belong.

The Christians have for the last 1700 years tried to violently force, with every means possible, their bizarre beliefs upon everyone else. When non-believers simply publish historical facts, address biblical contradictions, expose the not-so-loveable aspects of Christianity and question their favorite dogmas, the believers feel personally insulted and threatened. They respond like cranky, sobbing four year olds.

How do you discuss religion with religious people?
You usually don't!
It's futile and a waste of time. They simply do not get the arguments; or rather, they do not want to accept the arguments. They prefer blind faith to knowledge and prefer ridiculous, banal, superstitious and magical notions to living in the real world. As life on earth is not fantastic and mind boggling enough. The most surprising thing is the average Christian believer's obvious lack of knowledge of the Bible itself. Most of them have never really read much of the Bible themselves, but still think they know everything about their deity and their religion.
It's not a crime to be gullible or stupid, but do they have to make such a fuss about it?

I have no intentions or illusions that these web pages can convert Christians with facts and common sense. It's not possible. If grown up people actually believe in this occult superstition, they are inaccessible to reason and logic. It's futile to discuss such things with people who do not have a normal or upright conduct towards facts and arguments. For enlightened, thinking persons, on the other hand, who want easy access to some basic facts on Christianity and Church history, these pages can be a good starting point.

Honesty
BANDOLI.NO

Excellent quotes box at that last link

"Religions are like farts, yours smells, ok but everyone elses stinks"

PMSL

Back