• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Obama on Gay Marriage

Well, Angel everybody isn't happy. Some folks are not gay at all. But, you are right I don't see a big deal in letting gay or grumpy or even suicidal people marry if that's what they want to do. I'm not sure they will still be so gay and carefree once they get married and have to pay bills. I remember being gay and carefree and ....What? He's talking about who? :eek: Nevermind! :cool:

Couldn't help myself. I'm sure this will soon turn into another round of Catholic (Christian) basing. ;) As for myself, I honestly don't have a problem at all with homosexual marriage. I think it's nobodies business what two people do in the privacy of their own relationship.

Angelo, you do have a knack, but I admire it, to bring up intriguing subjects for discussion. Steve, excellent points, and funny, about the institution of marriage.

I, tongue in cheek, alluded somewhat to matrimony in spooky's thread about the trickster regarding his friend. You have to be alert for the omens before entering that thing called matrimony.

I, personally, have done more to destroy the institution of marriage than any gay couples could ever do. Not proud of it, but I did my best, and raised four sons by myself.

Though firmly in the heterosexual camp (I think women are just the most gorgeous creatures there are, and I do think in many ways they are the gentler sex) there are many bigger problems to be addressed, but when certain issues are framed in absolutist moral imperatives you get this. Kim

obama is just trying to improve his public image because so many people hate him.

Kim323 said
(I think women are just the most gorgeous creatures there are, and I do think in many ways they are the gentler sex)
obviously you were not married to a redhead.

No, but I'll give you an example of pure and delicious loveliness, and I don't really go so much for what I guess some guys term head turners kind of beauty in women. I saw a movie yesterday called the adjustment bureau, with Matt Damon. Enjoyed it thoroughly, for what it was, but what held me was the love story which was the subtext of the plot, which was sort of paranormal in fact. What was pure eye candy is the actress in it, Emily blunt. My God, a literal goddess of just heart yearning yumminess. Excuse that outburst. Kim

I suppose I could care less about what people do in terms of marriage. I could not look in the eye the gay people I know and tell them they have no right to do whatever etc

BUT!!

Marriage ceremonies conducted in church by a minster etc, well that is up to said church I would say. I find it just as wrong to deny a church it's rights to it's own rules as it is to deny someone for being gay.
My compromise is just this: allow churches who wish to conduct gay marriages to do so but also leave alone the ones uncomfortable with changing. There is always civil partnership. Gay people should be afforded the same rights as anyone else but for me that does not include necessarily changing something about a certain church against that church's will.

I don't actually see marriage from each and every church as a right anyway. More of a privilege. Even though I am not religious I can still see that the church's definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman. They have had that definition for a very long time. As long as everyone has the same rights to legal benefits, taxes whatever and they can get married where it is allowed then that's fine.

Remember, I don't have an automatic right to get married by any religion in any old mosque, temple, church etc so I don't think gay people are actually being totally overlooked in that sense.

I do think it is a good thing that we recognise everyone should broadly have the exact same rights etc and jeez, my society has come a very, very long way recently in changing. But wait! Slow down just a little people, some folks and institutions take a bit longer to naturally change something that has been a mindset for millenia so it might take a few decades more for everyone to have grown up around the different attitudes that exist today that were unheard of even in the 1960's.

Sometimes people want and expect complete change immediately, right now, no slowing down. Unfortunately humans in the main are not that quick off the mark but things are changing. Patience.

ok, off topic but I need to try to embed media, and this is another example of a lady I just find ravishingly cute. This is a choreographed scene from the Indian Bollywood movie Gumnaam from 1965. I used to live in an area with a large Indian population and sort of got into Bollywood films, and before Ghost World used this clip and before it, yes, became a Heineken commercial, I got hooked on this Indian actress, the girl in the gold lame dress in this clip. She was a singer and dancer in many Bollywood films. Her name was Laxmi Chhaya, and what a cutie. This was the mid sixties when Bollywood was bringing in some rock and roll stuff.

The singer in the clip is the Bollywood choreographer Herman Benjamin, and my understanding is that he choreographed this dance scene, too. He is lip-syncing, by the way. The singer is the famous Indian playback singer Mohammed Rafi, but Herman does a superb job.

The whole clip is very campy, with Laxmi being very seductive and silly, always smiling and making faces. What a doll. Ok, here's my effort to embed, and it's some dance. Kim

So a huge deal is being made in the media about Obama and his firm stance for the right for gay couples to marry.

My question: Why is this such a big deal in the USA?

In a word: culture. It goes against the grain of the culture that has prevailed in the United States since it's very beginning. It really is no big mystery if you're native I think.

Thanks, pixel, gosh I needed that! I took a red pill and an ice cold shower, and then drank a bottle of my home-brewed lager. I am back to reality. By the way, redpilljunkie, Morpheus himself, is my pharmacist. Kim

So a huge deal is being made in the media about Obama and his firm stance for the right for gay couples to marry.

My question: Why is this such a big deal in the USA?

Gay marriage is dork sided LOL

IMHO, next election will split the country up. You'll have the United Secular States of America led by Obama vs the United Christian States of America led by Romney ;)

IMHO, next election will split the country up. You'll have the United Secular States of America led by Obama vs the United Christian States of America led by Romney ;)

Extremist Christian thinking isn't limited to any particular party Ezechiel look at Rev. Wrights comments that got Obama into so much trouble just before his election.

Lets not lower the debate about the next president to exclusively to the gay issue. If your number one concern about what's harming the country right now is the gay issue I would be very surprised.
Presidential elections are the time we the people, as American Citizens are required to hold the incumbent presidents feet to the fire and say, OK Mr Prez man, did ya do what you promised to do when you ask for my vote 4 years ago.
Did we make the right choice electing a junior senator with promises of hope and change? Did his promised "government transparency" come to pass these last 4 years. How did he respond to the Gulf Oil disaster, did he hold BP accountable and force them to distribute money to those impacted?
Does he inspire this country to go and do greater things. Has he set the direction and given us hope like Kennedy did by going to the stars?
Has he expanded out scientific knowledge of the universe by expanding and funding NASA?
Is our space program thriving?
Did he sign the National Defense Authorization Act? Does this make you feel safe?
Does this President behave like the third branch of Government is supposed to or does he like so many before him act like a King?
Did he Sign the “Anti-Protest” Bill H.R. 347? Does this make you feel safe?
Simply how is your life going vs. 4 years ago?

It's up to everyone to answer these questions for themselves not be told by loud mouths on TV/Radio/Fear web-sights that this man or this man is better.

Four years is the standard we have to judge them, because sending an incumbent back in to office after 4 years as a lame duck you better damn well know you have faith in them and their "promises."

Just one citizens opinions ;)

The whole clip is very campy, with Laxmi being very seductive and silly, always smiling and making faces. What a doll. Ok, here's my effort to embed, and it's some dance. Kim

Talking of being "camp" and the subject at hand, I wonder what the largest democracy on Earth, India's view on gay marriage is. I don't know, and I may be being a bit prejudiced...but those guys behind her...

Hi, jabbermocky. I don't have any idea so I just googled the subject and read a bunch of stuff. Evidently it's a subject best avoided, though things have been changing in society, the media, entertainment, and especially the law. There was some penal code 377 that I didn't bother to learn more about, about homosexual relations being illegal, that was struck down by a high or the highest Indian court. It sounds similar to our supreme court decision finding laws against certain acts (shall we say) being unconstitutional. I remember thinking at the time that those laws against that particular practice (to be alliterative) were still in effect locally around the country and that the practice in question was not limited exclusively to homosexuals. So sort of sounds like the US in ways: the times, they are a'changin'. What is the situation in Canada? Kim

Back