• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Obama on Gay Marriage

Ah, ezechiel, you too easily prove my points in my post about your statement. Tens and tens of millions of Christians and tens more are very supportive of the very things you condemn them for being against as per your simplistic "Christian ideology". And I include many, many Catholics.

Your cavalier dismissal of my suggestion to, yes, simply read about that which you crow about only fortifies my points.

Ah, the bliss of delusion in the pursuit of supposed profundity. When you make generalized and simplistic statements about history and groups of people, be prepared to be confronted.

You have no idea the rich history of the churches on many issues past and right now, and simple statements will not be tolerated, and will be dealt with severely! I have spoken, ezechiel, and get yourself over to amazon! For your own sake, for celebration of the rich past, its complexity not satisfied by simple statements, for those around you who will recognize the new ezechiel, for exploration of things barely encountered by you, I suggest a whole new world, a broadening world, ezechiel. Dip your spoon into the richness of human history, and taste the sweetness of knowledge. Yes, it will be at first just one of those tiny little one fourth teaspoon measuring spoons, but under my tutelage, ezechiel, you will soon graduate to whole ladles of the nectar of knowledge.

Abandon these entreaties now, ezechiel, and your posts will not grow with reflection of the true complexity of knowledge, history, and, yes, the tens of millions of Christians who do not meet your restricted view of and comment on "Christian ideology".

I am in the process of drawing up a quarter teaspoon reading list for you. Let me know if you want to begin a new direction in your mind's growth. Kim

The world is changing. If the church doesn't adapt it will die. Sad, but true. I know some gay folks who are very spiritual people. They will either be accepted or they will find other groups and spiritual outlets because they are not going away. Can you imagine some alternate reality where "love" and acceptance was actually practiced by a religion?

Christianity is a great thing...Too bad nobody has ever tried it....My Social Work Director when I was in college. I'm not putting her name on a message board but she was a wise lady. A liberal Catholic actually.

I believe he considers himself black so who the hell are you to question what a person is? I bet somewhere here you have questions about his birth certificate or some other drivel which if you thought him white would never come into question.

lets see, black father and a white mother... that would make him half black and half white... right? I am very proud that this nation could look beyond color to elect a bi-racial president but they made a VERY poor choice...and yes, i do have questions about his origin of birth and his birth date. shit he doesn't even know when his birth date is.

The world is changing. If the church doesn't adapt it will die. Sad, but true. I know some gay folks who are very spiritual people. They will either be accepted or they will find other groups and spiritual outlets because they are not going away. Can you imagine some alternate reality where "love" and acceptance was actually practiced by a religion?

Christianity is a great thing...Too bad nobody has ever tried it....My Social Work Director when I was in college. I'm not putting her name on a message board but she was a wise lady. A liberal Catholic actually.

Remember when Catholics used to fight for social justice for all? Who would have thought they would have turned into this?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt as it seems a worse deal to some people to actually be called a racist than to do and say racist things. I will agree that corporations have too much power but at least I know one party who wants to at least give us serfs some crumbs and stay the hell out of our private lives. Whereas the other is saying, "let them eat cake" and trying to divide us because some are gay, some are black, some are latino, whatever. Because if we ever woke up and actually stopped caring about what Juan and Jamal are getting as Americans they would not have much of a platform.
both parties are the same. they are part of a CORPORATION and thus told what to do. the 2 party system is a diversion and a way to conquer and divide a dumbed down population.

Pixel I gotta agree about the two party system. I think it's badly broken. As for Catholics I was very disappointed during the Kerry run for the presidency. Some bishops wanted to deny him communion because of his pro choice stance. I remember thinking "well, then they will deny Bush because of his pro war stance." Well, bush wasn't Catholic of course but the ones who wanted to deny Kerry, supported bush. Shameful.

I have no problem with gay marriage, as I see it it is none of my businesses who any one wants there significant other to be. Who am I to tell them that they are not allowed to love another person because my personal dogma/feelings say they should not?

and aside from that they have just as much right to be as miserable as the rest of us :D

I have no problem with gay marriage, as I see it it is none of my businesses who any one wants there significant other to be. Who am I to tell them that they are not allowed to love another person because my personal dogma/feelings say they should not?

and aside from that they have just as much right to be as miserable as the rest of us :D

I always love that one. :D

Ah, ezechiel, you too easily prove my points in my post about your statement. Tens and tens of millions of Christians and tens more are very supportive of the very things you condemn them for being against as per your simplistic "Christian ideology". And I include many, many Catholics.

Hypocrits then ?

The medieval christian message conflicts with our evolving understanding of reality. I could suggest some scientific literature for you but it would probably out of your scope of interests.

That a religion would impose a strict definition of what a family unit should be in this day and age is pathetic regardless of how rich christianity's past cultural height might have been. The fact that religion eventually adapts to the evolution of our conscience through the discoveries of science is proof enough for me that any religion's absolutist attitude is a huge weight working against the evolution of mankind ;)

Hypocrits then ?

The medieval christian message conflicts with our evolving understanding of reality. I could suggest some scientific literature for you but it would probably out of your scope of interests.

That a religion would impose a strict definition of what a family unit should be in this day and age is pathetic regardless of how rich christianity's past cultural height might have been. The fact that religion eventually adapts to the evolution of our conscience through the discoveries of science is proof enough for me that any religion's absolutist attitude is a huge weight working against the evolution of mankind ;)

That is the issue I have with cafeteria Catholic types. You really shouldn't be able pick and choose what you want to follow about your designated religion. Because then you are not really that religion then. It's as bad as crazy christians or muslims trying to interpret the most extreme parts of their religions and using violence because of that.

That is the issue I have with cafeteria Catholic types. You really shouldn't be able pick and choose what you want to follow about your designated religion. Because then you are not really that religion then. It's as bad as crazy christians or muslims trying to interpret the most extreme parts of their religions and using violence because of that.
faculty%2Fmkilbridge%2FHebrew_Bible%2F1_%2FChristianity_Family_Tree_cartoon.jpg

LOL

What simplistic and abysmal lack of knowledge.

You may suggest anything scientific you wish. I'd be glad to read it. I read a lot of science, and I think I'm well known on other threads recommending books that study the confluence of science and religion. Two authors quickly are a Alister McGrath and John polkinghorne, reputable scientists with impressive credentials who are also Anglican priests.

The bottom line, ezechiel, as I learned on other threads, is that you are woefully inadequately prepared to discuss many things, first and foremost religion. This is evidenced by your, in this thread for one, to make a blanket statement about "Christian ideology" and when confronted with tens of millions and more millions of Christians who have very laudable and inclusive views on the many very issues that you condemn "Christian ideology" is against, you resort to cartoons and visual aids easily obtained from the internet and in your mind have swept the field and declared victory with the very profound LOL, a device of great intellectual depth.

I maintain that you are the cock crowing on his own dunghill, and yes, that is a very venerable old saying, very apt.

And again, you are saying that if a catholic holds views different than the Vatican holds, he/she is a hypocrite, and compared by jack to a person pushing his tray down the cafeteria line. This, is, really, a clear harbinger to any knowledgeable person that there is an chasm of ignorance afoot on the history of Christianity. That history, to Christianity's credit, is indeed a history of disagreement and argument, and I hesitate to bring up the european and English reformations, because I really know that you couldn't hold a three minute intelligible conversation on the different reformations in europe and England and Scotland.

This is exceedingly sad, really, because you simply don't care to know. And this transcends any effort you would put into learning anything about this history from any sort of conversion perspective. That's not what I mean. I mean that you know next to nothing of the history of Christianity apart from a visceral reaction to it, and expressed in a cartoon with LOL attached.

Sorry, fella, but I speak the truth. If you are going to condemn tens and tens of millions of Christians to a "Christian ideology" you know little or nothing about, as is evidenced by the condemnatory statement you made, then you should be prepared to be called on it. Trouble is, it takes people who possess a reasonable amount of knowledge, and then have a vestige of an open mind, to fairly discuss a subject. Kim

both parties are the same. they are part of a CORPORATION and thus told what to do. the 2 party system is a diversion and a way to conquer and divide a dumbed down population.

It's all Corporations. That's who makes the decisions that those in power follow. That's who pulls the strings.

God I love this movie....

I am SO tired of hearing how "marriage" is a sacred rite between a man, woman, and God. For some religions that may be true. Fine. I have no problem with it. Just like I could give damn if you are circumcised or that you are baptized. Neither should mean ANYTHING to the State and Federal government. Period.

Marriage in the US (separation of church and State...right?) is a fiscal categorization. Thats where the law, State and Federal, should stop. Its a personal merger of fiscal responsibility and an acquisition of mutually beneficial assets. When that partnership ends the first thing the law does is separate fiscal responsibility and divide assets. Just as it should. But, arent we missing the 800lb Gorilla in the corner? Where is the reconciliation with God? We took great care in making sure we considered God and religion in the creation of the marriage. How do we reconcile this aspect now that the marriage is ended?

How is this Religious reconciliation mandated or regulated? What's that you say? Its not under the purview of the State or Federal government to mandate or regulate your religious reconciliation? Your relationship with your personal deity is none of their F'ing business? Hmmm, so why should they regulate it using this same criteria when creating it?

BUT, some out there want to deny that fiscal categorization because said persons choose to do things with their genitalia that they find distasteful. Religiously distasteful. Its not like they are performing sexual acts in Public mind you, but in the privacy of their own homes.

I have always found it absurd that people spend so much time concerning themselves with what others do with their genitalia. Yes, I am heterosexual. But, I'll wager that almost nobody really wants to hear the finer points of how I apply that orientation. If you asked me to, I would semi-politely tell you how to apply those same acts to yourself. In vivid detail.

In short, this entire Religious issue should NOT be an issue that any Government has the right to regulate. Its time to truly separate Church and State. So I applaud Mr. Obama's stance and pity the ignorance of those of you that denounce it.

Back