• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Musical Interests

Yeah, Django Rheinhart absolutey burned--I collect his recordings. Wes Montgomery also was an incredible musician, and his Live At The Half Note was just incredible. I like Jazz, but I love these guys' music.

David, A suggestion- anything by Guided by Voices- start with Bee Thousand and work your way up. You don't know what you missing. The best band to emerge from the US in 20 years. They broke up in 2001, but the leader, Robert Pollard, is still producing his best work as a solo artist. Dean

I've been meaning to post an idea for a show and this thread reminds me. Many musicians have spoken about tapping into a force, collective mind, etc that seems to take over and play through them. I think it would be really interesting to get a musician or two on the Paracast to talk about their experiences.

One experiencer that comes to mind is Trey Anastasio. He's spoken a number of times about this phenomenon. I would submit that their shows had (have?) to be a great catalyst for this experience. Get Trey on the show. Really, really interesting guy.

Ok, sorry, one more phish related story. In 2003 Phish played a festival in upstate Maine, at Loring Air Force Base. In the middle of the night they played atop the air traffic control tower and put on this absolutely insane auditory and visual performance. To boot, the keyboard player was talking about the UFO sighting there in the 80s and how it was an influence for the band's set.

You really have to see this. The footage I've found on You Tube doesn't really do it justice. Perhaps you can rent from Netflix, or Blockbuster.

http://www.livemusicblog.com/phish-friday/08/01/11/phish-friday-tower-jam.php

"For anyone that already owns the DVD, you'll know that this is probably the most visually stunning part of the set. To see the professionally shot footage of the band playing from atop a 10-story high now-defunct air traffic control tower is quite impressive, and even more entertaining are the descriptions and recounts given by Trey and Page. Page's mentions how he meets a contractor leading up to the festival that used to be an air traffic controller stationed at Loring Air Force Base when it was still active. He recounts the story the contractor told him of how they once noticed something on the radar in the vicinity that might have been UFO -- something hovering over the base in sight of the air traffickers -- and that they were unable to scramble their fighter jets in time to effectively determine what those said radar blips were. The hovering, glowing orb of light disappeared before they had a chance to investigate further."

PHiSH iT DVD on Amazon.

Morphine, Steely Dan, Barry Adamson, Slayer, ELP, Clutch, Morrissey, the Police, Voivod, the Who, Zappa, Mel Torme, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Bauhaus, Robert Johnson, David Bowie, White Zombie, Cream, Prong, Tool, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Pat Martino, Alice Cooper, Fareed Haque, Ice T, Joni Mitchell, Living Colour, Jethro Tull, Joy Division, ZZ Top, Amy Winehouse, Link Wray, Johnny Cash, Foreigner, Iron Maiden, The Dictators, Moody Blues, Digital Underground, Humble Pie, Electric Wizard, Paranaut, High On Fire, The Sword, Spiral Architect, Cynic, Marvin Gaye, Job For A Cowboy... that's not even nearly exhaustive enough.

I've played bass since I was twelve, also drums, guitar, nose flute. I used to do some Tuvan-style throat singing and have been trying to teach myself regular singing too. Lately, in trying to supplement the minimalist project I'm doing with a friend of mine, I discovered Ableton 7 and am totally in love with it. Good to see other men of taste have the same opinon. Biedny, I'm looking at you. ;)

After discovering Bob Dylan and Brian Wilson when I was about 17-18 I'm finding it very difficult to get exited about contemporary pop/rock music.The albums those two created in the mid-sixties is unsurpassed genius in my view.

I do love many other artists,though;Hank Williams,Johnny Cash,Wanda Jackson,Ramones,The Undertones,Captain Beefheart,The Smiths,New York Dolls,Televison,Gram Parsons,Emmylou Harris,MC5,Phil Spector,The Ronettes,The Rolling Stones,The Flying Burrito Brothers and good ol' W.A Mozart of course!

Does anyone know how to get the lyrics to a song called Cantara. It in from the album towards the within by Dead can Dance. The best I can get is for educational purposes only.

I like Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Better Than Ezra (I've liked them since I was a kid, I cannot let go), Tool, Pink Floyd. I also like some country music, such as early Garth Brooks, George Strait, Hank Williams Jr., Steve Earle, Marshall Tucker Band.

I still like Wierd Al Yankovic, too.

I play guitar, harmonica, recorder, bass guitar, aluminum cans filled with beans, and the Ocarina on the Legend of Zelda games.

The Legend of Zelda flute is sweet. I remember when that game came out, it was like the first nintendo game that had memory so it was a big deal.

How about people's guilty pleasures?

Here are just a few of my guilty pleasure songs on my IPOD, mostly 80's hits.

- 'C'est La Via' - Robbie Nevel
- 'We don't have to take our clothes of to have a good time' - Jermaine Stewart
- ' Cruel Summer' - Bannanrama
- 'Way Cool Junior' - Ratt
- 'Talk Dirty to Me' - Poison
- 'Dick in Box' - Justin Timberlake!

I will stand by every one of these selections!
Who are you to judge!!! :)

"The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time" was a great game with an even better soundtrack!

As for guilty pleasures;I find my self listening to clips on YouTube of "Donkey Kong Country 2's" soundtrack!!
Try;Web Woods,Stickerbrush Symphony,Squawk's Shaft and tell me I'm wrong!

Sorry to dig this one up but Kings Of Leon is getting a major punishing on the airwaves down here.

Any fans of these guys? I thought their first album was so so but the newer one is far better.

Any takers?

These guys are awesome.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

These guys kick some esoteric Sufi ass (that's a good thing.)

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...and just in case you've never heard of Danny Gatton...he's only the best guitarist "ever."

That guy can play, for sure. Unreal post Skunkape :D

I'll attempt to divert the topic only slightly by asking:

* What in your opinion is the leading style/genre to date? & what has your pick of the mix done for the development of expression?

In my honest opinion, it is Psychedelic Trance. Tones, rythyms, beats, effects, content, bleeps, bloops & synths so foreign to the human ear drum that is drives for explanation; all anyone knows about it is that it does, for sure, bring together people of every culture/creed & nationality.

Goody.

I guess I'm a little limited compared to most of you.

I play guitar.
I have a little one from wall mart that i taught my daughters on.
I have an old one (don't know what it is ) that was my fathers and survived our house fire. Dad sanded it off and painted a picture on it.
It's really made for a guy but it is still the nicest sounding guitar I have.

I also have a celebrity ovation that I love and a black Gibson that I got for 500.00 from a friend.'

I have an old Gibson Amp. I need help loading it cuz it's so big. but it sounds so nice I hate to use anything else.

I also fill in on drumss when our drummer takes a break or if he can't make it. (i'm not that good, but i get it done in a pinch. lol)

I write alot and we're working on a couple of my songs now.
They are country, sorry to say that here. but I absolutly love it.
and the old stuff too. I love it.loveit loveit

I also play violin, It's the only instrument I actually play by reading music.
;but I'm better by ear.

I love Sheryl Crow, mellisa Ethridge, fleetwood mack, meridith brooks,
(fiona apple on a bad day) lita ford. Other than that. Most anything that is country.

OH. AND Medcine Hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, this is right up my alley as I was a professional bass player for years back in the 80's and 90's. These days it's all about the funk......

Bernard Edwards anyone? 1978 baby!!!! Check out that riff, Bernard was insane, I was lucky enough to meet Nile Rodgers on several occasions, even he couldn't believe some of the stuff this guy came up with. ;) I have an extensive collection of basses and amp rigs, cheaper then a wife, will post a list and some pics at some point.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Back