• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Musical Interests

David-Thats YOUR band, you know mine is "Worshippers of the Half-Inflated Dog Lord". :D

Packrat-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Probably theyre most prog album, and only concept album from them...really good stuff. I'm partial to the latest release last year "A Matter of Life and Death"...outstanding album (Show at Tweeter Center back in October was f&*kin great) that reminds me of the Powerslave album. They go on tour in February 08 and hit the states in June, with the Powerslave tour setup...gonna be kick ass.

Priest's was "Turbo", good album in hindsight, but I ceased following Priest after that cuz they really sold out to the hair for a spell there. Their last album "Angel of Retribution" is excellent, though I dont think Halford can hit the high notes like he used to....still one of the best voices in metal.

Here's some more of my favs I didnt mention (and cant believe I didnt):
Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour (last album was really good), Steve Howe, and Steve Hackett.

oh man! where to start! i LOVE music, and am constantly singing...I am the Stevie Nicks of my living room....
Love Stevie and the Mac...Jefferson Airplane, Grand Funk, the Doors, all the one-hit wonders from the 70's...Depeche Mode, Adam Ant, Duran Duran, Pat Benatar, Heart, Jane Siberry, Clannad, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Wasp, Ozzy, and on and on....

David Biedny said:
Creep is the single worst Radiohead song in existence. Seriously - it's overplayed, and compared with ANY track on The Bends, OK Computer (with the exception of Fitter, Happier) or Hail to the Thief, it's anemic. I hear that the members of the band share the sentiment, they almost NEVER play it live, thank goodness.

Yep, Over played. It's the reason I checked them out, but not the reason I kept listening. I like Bends better than Pablo.

I was once absolutely obsessed with metal. I listened to all the standard bands: Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Six Feet Under, Corrosion of Conformity, Guns N' Roses, Motorhead, Sepultura, Ozzy, Black Label Society, Cannibal Corpose, Rob Zombie, and some really obscure southern metal-billy group called Pumpjack.

I was also into the guitar-guys like Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Clapton, SRV, Al DiMeola, etc..

Loved listening to blues.

Then one day I went on a huge classical music kick. HUGE. Name a composer, and chances are I've got at least one MP3 of theirs (well, okay, maybe not every composer who has ever lived, but I think I've got the major ones covered).

Recently, I've been listening to an odd mix of things. I really can't find any one group or genre that I can point to and say, "Ah, THIS is the thing!" I hear random stuff all the time that I like. There's this group called Hurdy Gurdy I really like, the Gorillaz, the traditional Persian music stations on iTunes, house/trance stuff like ATB, traditional folk music (not the fake I-wanna-be-Bob-Dylan crap of today... I mean the let's-dance-around-the-fire-in-the-forest stuff). I'm REALLY into church hymns and organ music for some reason, which makes no sense since I haven't attended mass regularily since 2005.

I dunno. I'm sort of floating around right now, sampling all kinds of different stuff. The thing is, I never ever thought I'd do this kind of thing. I was such a huge metalhead I thought I was going to my grave with my Slayer shirt on. But I haven't played guitar in a long time, and I only occasionally listen to that stuff anymore. There is this one Swedish (I think) band called Amon Amarth, and they're damn good. Samael is good too.

I'm also a basso choir singer, the very bottom of the range.

Tony,
It's ok to go through musical-shifts. I do it all the time. If I get 80's-ed out, then I'll go for something else...Stevie-ed out, then I'll listen to Sarah McLachlan. It's good to keep your musical horizons open. I think it keeps you young, and it's good for your brain!

Nice thread!

Music... so much to list so I'll start with the top 25 most played according to my iPod:

The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Muse (if you're a Radiohead fan, you owe it to yourself to check these guys out), Arcade Fire, The Killers, Secret Machines, Sigur Ros, Moby, and U2.

Beyond that, it's a mix of:
Air, Asia (guilty pleasure), BB King, the Beatles, Beck, Big Star, Black Sabbath, Blind Faith, Interpol, Pink Floyd, Lis Er Stille, His Name Is Alive, UNKLE, Gorillaz, Porcupine Tree, Primitive Radio Gods, Roger Waters, Syd Barrett, David Gilmour, Pete Townshend, The Who, John Entwistle, Chemical Brothers, Cream, Derek and The Dominoes, George Harrison, John Lennon, Skip James, Son House, Robert Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, Chris Bell, Blondie, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Smashing Pumpkins, Spinal Tap, Traffic, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Police, David Bowie, The Verve, Warren Zevon, Led Zeppelin, Cake, Collective Soul, Peter Gabriel, The Clash, Jethro Tull...

I'm a sucker for bootlegs too. I have way too many performances of Dark Side of The Moon.

I've played bass since high school and have fooled around on the guitar since college. None of the high school or college bands ever amounted to anything so now it's just me toying around with my Strat, Fender P/J, or Charvel Star bass in cubase or GarageBand.

-todd

Jeez. I'm surprised that there are as many musicians as there are. Hmm...maybe not.

I'll keep it short-ish. I''ve played guitar since 15 (now 39). Worked at a music school in Mpls for a while, gave up on being a pro cuz moast of the ones I played with never bathed and decided I could make more money (guaranteed) in electronics. I now only own 3 guitars: Gibson Studio, Ernie Ball Sillohouette, and I just bought a Gretch 5125. Always wanted a Bigsby. Anyway, it's all theraputic these days. I do a little concertina, harmonica, keys, and I think I'm getting a banjo for Xmas. Gotta hankerin' to bust out some "Beverly Hillbillies".

Music...I've been listening to Ayreon a lot lately, Clutch, Threshold. Spent some time with Spock's Beard not long ago, before the departure of Neal Morse.

Don't lie Gene, you know you listen to nothing but Alvin and the Chipmunks backwards, you satanist.

Now watch as Kaptain Krunch puts that up on his blog as fact.

Tommyball,

THANK YOU for mentioning Muse. I hadn't heard of them, but last year, I heard one of their songs somewhere and absolutely loved it, but never heard the name of the band mentioned, which drove me crazy. In poking around their website, I found that song - it's "Time is Running Out", from Absolution. I am so very thrilled, I just ordered that CD and the newer one. I'm gonna take a listen to some of those other bands you mention - never heard The Killers or Secret Machines.

Good stuff! Thanks again...

... And as far as Asia being a guilty pleasure, I'm right there with you, but only as far as the very first album, which I think is a prog masterpiece. Subsequent albums, much less so.

And I really dig Collective Soul, forgot to mention them, the self-titled album and "Disciplined Breakdown" are two absolute faves. They got me through a couple of bad relationships... I'd love to have a band and play a cover of "Where the River Flows" someday.

David Biedny said:
... And as far as Asia being a guilty pleasure, I'm right there with you, but only as far as the very first album, which I think is a prog masterpiece. Subsequent albums, much less so.

And I really dig Collective Soul, forgot to mention them, the self-titled album and "Disciplined Breakdown" are two absolute faves. They got me through a couple of bad relationships... I'd love to have a band and play a cover of "Where the River Flows" someday.

Asia is enjoying a bit of a resurgence at this time. I know for a fact that Steve Howe is going to ride that horse until it won't ride no more. Especially not knowing if YES is ever going to perform together again. Nothing is written in stone and they are having a hard time trying to find a management agency that will touch them.

Oh, and Radiohead has a new album in the can but no label to release it.

OndaF:

I have live versions of many of the new Radiohead songs, and stay on top of the situation on a daily basis. Last year, I scored tickets to 4 of the east coast shows - Boston, Philadelphia, and the two New York shows (first row seats for those two). I'm praying that the band realizes that they DO NO NEED a label at this point, that they'll do MUCH better selling the record directly to their fans. They have the power to push the music business full throttle into the online age.

Steve Howe should consider going solo - so do you know that his secret box is this? I own one myself... apparently, Howe has scoped out the internet looking for these, and has bought a bunch of them. Truly perfect for guitar.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Umphrey's McGee.
If you've never heard them, do yourself a favor and download one of their free podcasts.
I also like Zappa, The Dead, moe., Phish, Particle, and lots of other jam bands.
`I often listen to Chet Atkins, Django, and other classic guitar geniuses.

I started playing guitar at 8 yo, and I'm currently partial to my Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion and my Martin J-1
I currently play in a band called "Nobody Cares". If you're interested, there are a couple of songs we recorded (just practice tapes) here. (It is not metal)
Don't use the little player on the page, it plays slow.

David Biedny said:
The Posies, Sigur Ros, Chris Whitley (an old friend, may he Rest in Peace), Jimi Hendrix, Porcupine Tree, Butthole Surfers, Pixies, Meat Puppets, Emerson Lake & Palmer, The Black Keys, Zep, Sabbath, first two solo Ozzy albums, Alan Parsons, R. L. Burnside, Alan Holdsworth, Zappa, Neil Young, Yes, John Zorn, Larry Fast/Synergy, Tomita, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Billie Holiday, old Elton John, and a bunch of other stuff that evades me at the moment.

As far as musical instruments, I'm a synthesist and guitar wanker. I grew up with funky electric organs, the ones with the one-key magic chord. I started programming analog synths (Arp 2600) at the age of 13, and have been noodling on electric guitar since the same age. I become the second Electro-Harmonix dealer in Venezuela at 15, and I currently have a somewhat extensive collection of pedals and other weird audio toyz. I LOVE Ableton Live, am enthralled with MetaSynth, adore Absynth, could not live without PSP Vintage Warmer and the Wave Arts MasterVerb and TrackPlug plugins. My main guitars are a PRS CE24, a Variax 300 (which I scored for $300, most versatile guitar in the universe), and a Taylor 414CE acoustic. I also own an amazing, one-of-a-kind electric guitar from a Canadian madman luthier, here it is. Amazing instrument.

I'm very much involved the musical scene, so I could go on and on with this subject. I play in bands and dj all over my town (using Serato Final Scratch if any of you guys are into vinyl software).

I primarily play synths and piano, but also drums. The main synths I use are a Roland Juno 60 and a Novation K-Station (w/ the built in vocoder!). Though I also own several others that are collecting dust. As for composition software I use Garageband and Ableton... this weekend I made an Ableton set for a club which consisted entirely of Daft Punk songs.

...which segueways into the bands. If you know Daft Punk then you'll probably recognize the music I tend to spin at clubs: Cut Copy, The Presets, J.u.s.t.i.c.e., Zoot Woman, etc. All the great electro stuff coming out of France and Australia.

As for rock-related music I tend to like the shoegaze/britpop genre: Jesus & Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Sigur Ros (saw those guys live a few years ago David, highly recommended if you haven't seen them yet), and pretty much anything that came out of Factory Records... so basically all those UK bands that broke up before I was old enough to see them live.

So my current interests are pretty out there, but my general interests are varied. For example, my first band was a jazz band that covered John Zorn Masada tracks. But that's miles away from my current bands. One of my current projects is a new wave band with only synths. My other band is more of a rock band, and sounds a bit like Interpol with keyboards. In both bands I do synths and lead vocals.

I hope at least a few of these bands are even remotely recognizeable to you guys, but if not you should ask your friend with the weird assymetrical haircut and clothes that fit too tight, they're probably way into this stuff :)

jritzmann said:
I listen to just about anything. My favs are the Dixie Dregs, Dream Theater, Rainbow, Rik Emmett, Steve Morse, Judas Priest, Joe Satriani, Earl Klugh, Larry Carlton, Paganini, Liszt, and I know I'm forgetting more cuz I'm exhausted. But, Iron Maiden, thats *the* band for me, since like, 1980. I love Metal, but not the hair metal crap or this de-evolved stuff of today.

I've played guitar since I was 9 and thats probably influenced most of what I listen to.

Absolutely love Iron Maiden!!!
The greatest band ever, especially when you see them live. It's quite an experience. 'Seventh Son of the Seventh Son' is probably my favorite.

I went through various musical stages in my life. Was really into metal when i was a kid. Bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Old Metallica... then got into heavier stuff like Kreator, Slayer, Sepultura, Death. Then graduated into more industrial music with bands like Front 242, KMFDM, Front Line Assembly. Then got into underground electronic music scene... Now pretty much listen to anything that makes me feel good. Anything from Frank Sinatra to Stones, AC/DC, Depeche Mode, Coldplay, U2. Can still listen to heavy music from metal to hard swedish techno. I really have huge distaste for American commercial music. The likes of 'American Idol' R&B and commercial Rap.

For those who like crazy music, check out Mr. Bungle. A band with Faith No More's lead singer in it.

Faith No More is a fav of mine I didn't mention btw.

Back