• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Musical Interests

Nobody brought it like the Bon Scott version of AC/DC.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Kids, sheesh! :D

I have to totally agree. Without Bon Scott, it's just not right.

When I was living in Venezuela, I used to travel to the US every summer for a couple of weeks, and I'd hit record stores in Ft. Lauderdale, taking back a suitcase full of albums to sell in Caracas (Venezuelan-pressed vinyl sucked eggs, there was a huge underground market for U.S.-made records). I ended up buying the live AC/DC album "If You Want Blood You Got It", based on the album cover, and it became an instant favorite of mine. When the new guy came into the band, it just didn't work for me.

And total coincidence, my very first guitar was a red SG.

dB

Boohbah, possibly the most profoundly creepy children's show ever, rocking to Dimmu Borgir. Whoever put this together spent a little time on the editing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And if any of you guitarists out there need a good humbling, Buckethead is the guy to do it. This man is a machine.

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thanks for that Skunape. I am not really a guitar-lover at all, but even I can hear the subtleties this guy can bring out of the instrument. Nice.

Thanks for that Skunape. I am not really a guitar-lover at all, but even I can hear the subtleties this guy can bring out of the instrument. Nice.
You should read this Wikipedia entry. This guy is my kind of nut. I'm pretty sure he's with Guns'n Roses now under the moniker 'Bumblefoot.' I'm not positive, but my gut tells me it is so.

Wikimedia Error

I like a wide variety of music from Classical to Alternative/Gothic.

I grew up with music in the home, as my father was a Concert Pianist as a child (prodigy). So classical music was my first exposure, then I took piano lessons and flute, was better at flute, though.

Also was deeply involved in ballet as a teenager, so classical music again:)

Favorite artists in the past: U2, Cure, Love N Rockets, Sisters of Mercy, Charlatans, Stone Roses, Sousie & The Banshees, Bryan Adams, Tina Turner, Enigma (all these was more of a fan of them in the early 90's).

Currently: (Am mellowing out lately in my tastes!) Explosions In The Sky, Jeff Wahl (new age, fingerstyle guitar.... a style, which I'm madly in love with, lately!), Enya, Enigma, just to name a few!!!

Bixyboo

Is exactly what the title suggests; What kind of music do you listen to? Who are some of your favourite artists? What is your least favourite genre/artist?

Oh...& if you play an instrument, list it too!

Goody.

Me and some friends were supposed to go see Blind Melon last weekend but I guess their new singer quit. It's too bad I've seen some Youtube vids of them playing tiny bars and the crowd sings almost every tune... it would have been a great shared experience.

I have to say I have been really impressed with a lot of great new indie Canadian bands. I really encourage anyone who has a moment or two to check them out

Young Galaxy from Montreal is a great band - Swing Your Heartache is a great tune.

[URL]http://www.myspace.com/younggalaxy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/url]

Novillero from Winnipeg is absolutely the top band I want to see - I don't know too much about their new album as i haven't got it yet but their last album was called Aim For the Holes in Their Lives - deadly! The Hypothesist is off that album - I can listen to it endlessly. I think Ufology needs a respectable, scientifically sound, hypothesist of it's own...

Featured Content on Myspace

Black Mountain from Vancouver would fit nicely beside early Sabbath I think - it also reminds me of Kyuss but a little less macho.

Featured Content on Myspace

While not Canadian, I've also been really getting into TV on the Radio. I saw them this summer and wow such an energetic band and their songs are (IMHO) really well written. I saw them at a festival in Ottawa and they had a standin musician from a pretty popular Canadian band Broken Social Scene.

Enjoy!

Me and some friends were supposed to go see Blind Melon last weekend but I guess their new singer quit.

I've seen'em twice in Austin and they were great. They played for nearly 3 hours. It's kind of sad that they discarded Travis so abruptly after spending so long looking for a vocalist. He lost his voice from playing everynight, 'Doc told him to take a month off, and they dropped him like a stone. I've been working on some demo stuff to send him and see if he wants to collaborate. In this world of mediocrity, a musician of his caliber is a real gem. I think Melon plan on working with the guy in this video now.

My fave new band: MGMT

First, the second single, Electric Feel:

and secondly, the first single, and possibly the greatest tune of the entire 21st century :D, Time To Pretend:

Ahhh, young Jewish men on space motorbikes smashing through a moon, Amazon rave parties with animatronic bands, giant pussycats, Napoleonic hats, monsters that when blown apart revealing cascades of dolphins ... how could you go wrong ?? :D

Thanks for the heads up on the Melon new direction. You know I read a blog that has already been taken down that told a different story, that Travis had run out on them...

Skunkape - you have a myspace page with your music posted?

shticknz - I love Time to Pretend, never knew the band's name though - thanx!

shticknz - I love Time to Pretend, never knew the band's name though - thanx!

Thanks ... but yeah isn't it fantastic?? :D Can't get it out of my head at the moment. Maybe thats because I've got it on my mp3 player and somehow it always plays that before any other mp3 podcast or whatever I wish to listen to ... must listen to "time to pretend ... mussst listen to "time to pretend" ... mussst lissten :D ... me obsessive?? Never :p

Hey skunkape,

That "inch worms" got legs, gotta get some vocals sorted.

Nice one thanks,

Mark
The last two tunes I have posted there were intended to have vocals. Unfortunately I have had zero luck finding a competent singer. I live in Austin, the supposed music capitol of the world, ha ha, and you can not believe the torture my ears have endured auditioning vocalists. I can admit when I suck at something, but apparently many people can't.
These guys are probably the best band ever out of Austin.

Man that tune brings back good memories!

Skunkape - you can play some guitar! Sounds awesome, you'll have to keep us in the know if you find your vocalist.

I've always wanted to go to SXSW - is it worth a road trip?

I know I mentioned Novillero before but I think this video is pretty good too.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Skunkape,

How did you know I adore me the Butthole Surfers?

My buddy Paul Mavrides designed the cover of their one "hit" album, Electriclarryland.

160262_1_f.jpg

And that song's from my fave BS album "Independent Worm Saloon".

As far as a vocalist, if I lived in Austin, you'd be set. LOL!

dB

;)

Skunkape,

How did you know I adore me the Butthole Surfers?

My buddy Paul Mavrides designed the cover of their one "hit" album, Electriclarryland.

160262_1_f.jpg

And that song's from my fave BS album "Independent Worm Saloon".

As far as a vocalist, if I lived in Austin, you'd be set. LOL!

dB

;)

I'm friends with Lori Vargas aka Lori Surfer. She did all of the freaked out projector stuff at their shows. Being a proud Subgenius, I'm familiar with Mavrides work. Stang has a Yeti sculpture I made on his fireplace mantle.

Attachments

• stang.jpg
    stang.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 15
Back