• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

James Fox -- July 1, 2012

"Actually, Vallee also added that this is why he sometimes preferred to wait a few years before revisiting a case that gathered a lot of notoriety. So in that sense, visiting Stephenville 4 years later is exactly the right thing to do."

Actually what J. Vallee was referring to is an experiencers perception of events over an extended period of time. Vallee may visit an experiencer several times over the course of years, allowing the experiencer time to decompress in the hope of gleaning additional impressions which may be useful in research, and in reconciling their experience.
As I am certain that J. Vallee would not suggest that the very media who helped create the conflict in the first place would return four years later, creating additional conflict without the kind hearted use of psychologists or sociologists.

Well, I was addressing Fox & Co. as UFO investigators, but I guess they shall now be forever regarded as 'Those loopy Nat Geo shills' huh? ;)

But re. Vallee we're talking about 2 different aspects of investigation: the 'let cool things off' when a particular case or hot spot has been over-exposed by the mainstream media, in order not to exasperate the witness. And the follow-ups on the case to see the possible side-effects it caused on the lives of the witness during a prolonged period of time.

And the follow-ups on the case to see the possible side-effects it caused on the lives of the witness during a prolonged period of time.

I see this like a CSI guy examining a bullet's trajectory. What was the witnesses life like before the experience, and how did it change after the event? I'm taking a hard second look at their claims if they become a UFO lecturer and open a gift shop.

I see this like a CSI guy examining a bullet's trajectory. What was the witnesses life like before the experience, and how did it change after the event? I'm taking a hard second look at their claims if they become a UFO lecturer and open a gift shop.

Well, I for one am of the opinion that UFO investigators should take into account the subjective aspects of an encounter with (allegedly) alien manifestations. Whether we like it or not, there is a deeply personal component to these kind of experiences, and that is worthy to be analyzed as well.

Let's take the Travis Walton case for example: after the event, one of the witnesses (Mike Rogers) began to display an artistic proclivity and talent as a draftsman and painter. I find THAT incredibly interesting and puzzling.

How the encounters affect, and even influence the lives and perspectives of a witness might not seemingly tell us much about the origin or nature of these phenomena, but it might help us understand a bit better the impact they had, and keep on having, in our civilization.

I just listened to the show and have a few concerns. The first is National Geographic and it's connection with unsavory entities like the United Nations (I suspect rockefeller foundation as well) . There is no way I would trust a company like that with any type of honest UFO information. The second is the pandering to this generations attention span with quick transitions and silly ghost hunting scenes. The whole quick transition between makes me have a headache and the nighttime hunting is silliness. And yes I am also aware that I'm not their demographic target.

I do enjoy Mr. Fox's work like "I know what I saw" and "Out of the Blue". It's a shame that line of work has gone largely unappreciated.

Yeah, hmmm... checked out the first episode and now I'm watching the second. My tendency is honesty, and I gotta say, I don't like it. Way too "ghost hunty" UFO Hunters, playing around with gadgets for me. Frankly, the show, at times, almost seems to make a mockery of UFO investigations.

James: Pull out!

Nice show, in spite of really mixed feelings I had. I mean, G.I James is asking himself why no one is taking the good sightings seriously (or only inofficially serious like it seems to be the case with Larry King), and at the same time he is now participating in the very industry which is making the whole thing look like pure fiction and entertainment. Duh.

But I guess the statement about not being able to pay for his house is a big part of the answer. You need the money, you need the job and you don't ask questions. Plus, well, you get some form of fame.

I do hope he continues doing serious documentaries, though. Things like that oil spill piece, that's what really matters, not some silly, action-packed, quick cut TV series.

Thanks for asking my question, Chris, I still hope there will be one or two really good, well researched and scientifically-minded documetaries about that stuff as well some day (could you get Dead Whispers on Amazon?). As it seems to me now, ghosthunter TV series are mostly doing the same disservice to their fields as Chasing UFOs seems to do to its own (admittedly I haven't seen any of the brodcast episodes, you don't get them here in Germany).

EDIT And thanks to Mr Fox for sharing these very personal stories about his parents. What I would like to know, though, is if he had a strong belief in something like the soul or discarnate consiousness before.

nice show. About the "petit rechain" picture, James Fox asked at one point how can we be sure that the person who came forward saying that he had hoaxed the picture was the real author of the photo. In fact at least one person of the belgium SOBEPS organization (but I think there were at least two) had been in contact with this person at the time in 1989 when he supposedly took the picture, and interviewed him but kept his identity hidden on his demand until he came forward.

Probably going to annoy some people, but the show ain't that bad. Mind you i am only watching it now 15 minutes in. This town has an strong Irish connection i see. Anyway going to watch the rest of it.

Thank you for a good show last week Gene and Chris. James Fox seems like an ok guy, and I did like his 2 earlier documentaries, Out of the Blue and I Know What I Saw. I have a strong interest in UFOs, and I have enjoyed past episodes of UFO Files and UFO Hunters. But this new series is just about the worst reality tv show that I have ever seen. I tend to agree with the critique of this guy who posted a review of Chasing UFOs on YouTube:

Thank you Jase for posting the video critique. The guy has a lot of good points.

After watching Episodes 1 through 3 I have to say that personally I am not impressed with the show. I know certain things have to be done in order to provide an entertainment factor but this has gone to the point where the entertainment factor is designed for ages 13 and under.

Investigating at night things better done during the day, coming to over the top conclusions with limited information, making nebulous statements (e.g. "looking into the license plate on the white van shows results that were inconclusive" - what does that mean - they could not pull the license number off the plate, or when they did a search on the plate number there were no results or the results were not given....?).

Mixed in are some crumbs of seemingly good information and video (not shot by the crew of the show as that is terrible). I have been impressed by James Foxes previous work, I just hope his name does not get tarnished in some way by continuing with this type of show. If people are making fun of this now, I can only imagine what will happen in the future.

'OK guy'? Well, he just acted like an ass to Paul Kimball over a legitimately bad review of 'Chasing UFOs', actually becoming overtly threatening in tone -- over a bad review? What an idiot.

Phrases used by Fox: "foot in your ass" and "Next time we meet I'll be arrested. It just got personal." UFO vendors are now thugs?

Over a bad review?? There's your 'OK guy'...

Yeah I'd like to see that one, doesn't sound like Fox but who knows, after all the crap reviews the show is getting he might be a little pissed off.

James definitely flipped out a bit lol, it's gotta be rough on the guy though, besides debunkers, he got nothing but praise from the vast majority of the UFO community, now even they're turning on him since the show pretty much stinks. I don't think that excuses what he said, just pointing it out. Paul linked the Paracast episode he was on in his original review of the show, you can find it in the article about James losing his cool.

Didn't James Dad just pass away recently? That, plus all the negative reviews could be stressful. When my dad died of cancer I was ready to punch someone in the face too.

Is that really James Fox writing that? I mean, seriously. Do we know that the James Fox facebook account is actually him? This seems so counter to the persona projected on screen and in interviews I have to ask that question.

Back