• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

James Fox -- July 1, 2012

PamiP

Skilled Investigator
Great episode Gene. I'm looking forward to watching Mr. Fox's new show in the very near future.

Best,

Pami

We had a great time talking to Fox. I think you'll all appreciate his very honest explanation of the severe constraints of reality TV, and how he's trying to work through it to make for a better show.

I really enjoyed James sharing that very personal story of seeing the souls of his parents depart. Pretty intense stuff. As for chasing UFO's sounds like he has close to zero control of what happens, i couldn't believe the team when through the San Luis Valley and didn't consult Chris. Hope they do in the future.
Oh and Chris as for UFO/Paranormal not using conventional aircraft for its own ends, what the heck has that Korean War era Yellow helicopter doing over your house after you interviewed a family about the exact same thing happening to them?

A very interesting interview with James Fox. It sounds like National Geographic left Fox with a few tantalizing Un-Funded Opportunities he would have loved to pursue.

Well, in 2 episodes of Chasing UFOs the only interesting bit of UFO material I saw was the retired cop talking about a CE2 in the 70s. That was approximately 3 minutes out of a combined 90. Little disappointed by some of the things Fox said in the interview. He appears to continue to be into things like Phoenix, Roswell, Stephenville, a government cover-up, etc., and I don't put any stock into any of those things, is the noise that makes up 99.99% of this subject (And it might be all noise but at least .01% I feel unsure about). He even seemed to give some credence to the notion that the Belgium triangle photograph hoax might in and of itself be a hoax. I just can't accept twisty-turny thinking like that.

But everybody has a different take on UFOs. What I consider bunk material is considered legitimate by plenty of smart people. And some of the cases I am interested in, namely a few multi-witness close encounters, might seem absurd to them and cause them to roll their eyes like I do at the data that impresses them. Do any two people truly agree about this stuff?

He asked for suggestions for future shows (Provided it makes it to a second season.) and I went ahead and fired him off an email. I'd like to see a visit to Australia to look into Kelly Cahill and Peter Khoury. And although I failed to mention it even something about the Knowles family CE2 would interest me. Another alleged incident I've wanted an update on since forever is the Zimbabwe CE3 involving 62 children. I want to know if all of them still maintain that it happened. Do their stories match up, have they embellished over time, etc.?

I don't get the National Geographic channel, so I can't watch Fox's show. But am I the only one who thought UFO Hunters was a good show?

Okay, holy crap. I'm still listening to this particular episode while working from home and since I'm multi-tasking I'm not fast-forwarding through the commercials. I started browsing some survival websites because we're going camping this summer, and while cruising through one of the sites a commercial came on this episode boasting great survival gear. While listening to the commercial I realized I was already browsing the website! campingsurvival.com. I should get a discount.

I don't have anything to do with network ads, but they do often offer special discounts for new customers who want to stock up. :)

I don't get the National Geographic channel, so I can't watch Fox's show. But am I the only one who thought UFO Hunters was a good show?
I don't know if I will get in trouble for this, but NZBMatrix NZB Index click on tv series and search for nat geo ufo chasers. It's actually pretty tame, but for the average jo some of the things would be earth shattering.

i really liked the show for me because we get to hear Chris open up about whats going on in the valley.. I really hope J Fox comes good and get's Chris expertise on this otherwise I wont hold out too much hope for this show. sorry just my opinion based on what i heard. i'm sure they will do as good a job as the producers will let them but... Thanks to James for opening up about his personal death experience, very moving and interesting. nice job guys!

i couldn't believe the team when through the San Luis Valley and didn't consult Chris...
Actually, they did contact me, but it was a rather tepid attempt by "Brie" one of their young researchers. I lined up a tentative date to meet them in Phoenix at Open Minds when I returned from a speaking engagement in KY, but they never followed up and confirmed. Plus, they were unwilling to pay my expenses to travel to the SLV and do it right, choosing instead to focus on the "UFO Watchtower"/alien chatzka shop. I'm glad they are covering the Edwards footage from Sept '95. We'll see if they acknowledge my books & years of work in the episode, but I ain't holding my breath...
Oh and Chris as for UFO/Paranormal not using conventional aircraft for its own ends, what the heck has that Korean War era Yellow helicopter doing over your house after you interviewed a family about the exact same thing happening to them?
*blush* GOOD point ward! Touche :)

James Fox is a likeable entertainer and showman who seemingly has a true interest in aerial anomalies. I would suggest most any novice viewing his past work would be left with the impression of, could this be actually occurring? When listening to the dialogue quite suprising I found was a lack of broader knowledge by Mr. Fox, suggesting that Roswell was one of the best cases, just to name one instance of many.

The Stephenville event in particular is interesting due to the fact that aerial anomalies were detected and witnessed both day and night over an extended period of time. Included were numerous substantiated unidentified radar returns, along with accounts of experiencers Ricky Sorrells and Steve Allen. Unfortunately when the media arrives the scene becomes contaminated, accounts can become distorted, witnesses go into hiding, and according to J.Vallee, there is nothing left to do, other than purchase a t-shirt.

My final impression of this show is Chris Obrien's depth of knowledge, and just how bright he is when bringing his "A" game. As I cannot foresee Mr. Obrien and Fox collaborating due to the heavy lifting would most likely be one sided, and ones life work would be at the mercy of post production writers whose only focus is that of ratings and hype.

Great show, again. I'm also interested in hearing what James Fox has to say. He has a good knowledge of the subject and a great way with people (which is a huge benefit).

Chris, one thing I gotta say - you're probably not conscious of this - but do you realize that every single show you use the word "dovetail"? lol ;)

And yes, it would be cool to see Chris working with James on a project. Maybe James should invite Chris onto his new show?

The Stephenville event in particular is interesting due to the fact that aerial anomalies were detected and witnessed both day and night over an extended period of time. Included were numerous substantiated unidentified radar returns, along with accounts of experiencers Ricky Sorrells and Steve Allen. Unfortunately when the media arrives the scene becomes contaminated, accounts can become distorted, witnesses go into hiding, and according to J.Vallee, there is nothing left to do, other than purchase a t-shirt.

Actually, Vallee also added that this is why he sometimes preferred to wait a few years before revisiting a case that gathered a lot of notoriety. So in that sense, visiting Stephenville 4 years later is exactly the right thing to do.

I'm still very ambivalent about this whole new series. On the one hand I'm more than aware that *I* don't happen to be among the intended niche market for this kind of mass entertainment. But on the other, I feel it's a bit dishonest to try to utilize the over-exploited 'reality tv' format in order to harness the huge resources of an international company.

Raphael: For what is an artist in this world but a servant, a lackey for the rich and powerful? Before we even begin to work, to feed this craving of ours, we must find a patron, a rich man of affairs, or a merchant, or a prince or... a Pope. We must bow, fawn, kiss hands to be able to do the things we must do or die. [Raphael chuckles] We are harlots always peddling beauty at the doorsteps of the mighty.
Michelangelo: If it comes to that, I wont be an artist. Raphael:
[Raphael scoffs at Michelangelos remark] You'll always be an artist. You have no choice.

I guess Raphael was right after all: an artist can't escape being a whore. But at least try to paint a frigging Sistine Chapel, not an Archie comic book!

Yeah I know, it's a a "damn if you do/damn if you don't" kind of no-win scenario. But what can you expect of an iconoclastic UFO buff? ;)

"Actually, Vallee also added that this is why he sometimes preferred to wait a few years before revisiting a case that gathered a lot of notoriety. So in that sense, visiting Stephenville 4 years later is exactly the right thing to do."

Actually what J. Vallee was referring to is an experiencers perception of events over an extended period of time. Vallee may visit an experiencer several times over the course of years, allowing the experiencer time to decompress in the hope of gleaning additional impressions which may be useful in research, and in reconciling their experience.
As I am certain that J. Vallee would not suggest that the very media who helped create the conflict in the first place would return four years later, creating additional conflict without the kind hearted use of psychologists or sociologists.

Back