• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

IRON SKY Official Theatrical Trailer

I can tell you that not all the Germans Army medical officer were that bad near the end of the WW2 and wanted the war finished but that might have been a rare occurrence he had lost all his family including his children and hated the Nazi's for example one operated on a late family member of mine who received leg wounds and saved his life.

I think probably if you just look at this film as a bit of sci fi fun/action it will be an ok way to spend 90mins. No harm done if it's bad but I think it is probably worth seeing just for the visual aspects, if nothing else.

I can see this gaining cult staus - its so bad its good - sort of thing. At least they trying a new sci/fi idea instead of flogging a dead horse (Yes George Lucas I mean you, Star wars 3D, get a grip man!!!)

Aww come on guys! I think this movie is just a harmless parody for entertainment purposes ONLY......much like "The Dukes of Hazzard", "Gilligans Island", and Fox News.

It needs to be seen with a certain mindset, like watching Mystery Science Theater 3000. I had a freind who hated "Starship Troopers" because he said it was so over the top. He didnt realize the director wanted it to resemble WWII propaganda movies.

Nazis in Sppppppppppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! lol its going to be a total laugh fest, there are other sneak peeks at the filming on the web and I had the idea from the start that this would be very much a dark humor film.
Cheese with extra cheese if you will.

I had a freind who hated "Starship Troopers" because he said it was so over the top. He didnt realize the director wanted it to resemble WWII propaganda movies.

Heinlein's notion of the militaristic society and bug-like aliens were probably the only thing that survived from the novel. I did like the first movie quite a bit. The sequels were horrible. Again, you had to enter into the spirit of the thing and watch it with a certain mindset to really enjoy it I think. A great movie though IMHO.

I would love to see someone make a version of Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream but again, it would be such a strain on some people's sensibilities that don't enjoy a good parody. While we are talking Spinrad (looks around, finds himself alone) The Men in the Jungle just begs for a Syfy channel movie treatment. It would stretch the bounds of good taste and censorship to be certain, but a more powerful expose on the horror of war and the ability of power to corrupt totally you will be hard to find.

Heinlein's notion of the militaristic society and bug-like aliens were probably the only thing that survived from the novel. I did like the first movie quite a bit. The sequels were horrible. Again, you had to enter into the spirit of the thing and watch it with a certain mindset to really enjoy it I think. A great movie though IMHO.

I would love to see someone make a version of Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream but again, it would be such a strain on some people's sensibilities that don't enjoy a good parody. While we are talking Spinrad (looks around, finds himself alone) The Men in the Jungle just begs for a Syfy channel movie treatment. It would stretch the bounds of good taste and censorship to be certain, but a more powerful expose on the horror of war and the ability of power to corrupt totally you will be hard to find.

ST won the hugo award for the best sci fi novel of the year 1959 - and ever since its been the object of controvery. it is an emmensely readable book, perhaps the best thet even heinlein-tripple hugo winner- has written. it is simply a story about war, this one some 5,000 years in the future, and about the soldiers that fight the war. infantrymen equiped with jet propelled armoured suits and fearsome weapons. above all it is about the making of a man - john rico- from the time he leaves school to enlist till he commands his own platoon of infantrymen

Critics have complained that heinlien has used ST to glorify war, to propound a political system based on a military oligarchy, of appealing to those instincts [best kept supressed] of violence and destruction. other writers have written satires in an attempt to discredit it entirely.

Yet whenever polls of the most popular science fiction novels are taken, ST invariably comes high on the list. And rightly so, because its one of those rare novels that can be read more than once. it is in every sense a classic of sci fi

Tom boardsman JR
Foreword 1959 eddition

Starship Troopers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Politics
Starship Troopers is a political essay as well as a novel. Large portions of the book take place in classrooms, with Rico and other characters engaged in debates with their History and Moral Philosophy teacher, who is often thought to be speaking in Heinlein's voice.[citation needed] The overall theme of the book is that social responsibility requires being prepared to make individual sacrifice. Heinlein's Terran Federation is a limited democracy with aspects of a meritocracy based on willingness to sacrifice in the common interest. Suffrage belongs only to those willing to serve their society by at least two years of volunteer Federal Service – "the franchise is today limited to discharged veterans", (ch. XII), instead of, as Heinlein would later note, anyone "...who is 18 years old and has a body temperature near 37 °C"[16] The Federation is required to find a place for anyone who desires to serve, regardless of his skill or aptitude (this also includes service ranging from teaching to dangerous non-military work such as serving as experimental medical test subjects).

There is an explicitly-made contrast to the democracies of the 20th century, which according to the novel, collapsed because "people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted... and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."[17] Indeed, Colonel Dubois criticizes as unrealistic the famous U.S. Declaration of Independence line concerning "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". No one can stop anyone from pursuing happiness, but life and liberty are said to exist only if they are deliberately sought and paid for.

Starship Troopers is also widely-regarded as a vehicle for Heinlein's anti-communist views. Characters attack Karl Marx (a "pompous fraud"), the labor theory of value ("All the work one cares to add will not turn a mud pie into an apple tart..."),[18] and Plato's The Republic ("ant-like communism" and "weird in the extreme").[19]

[edit] Military history, traditions, and military science

The Korean War ended only five years before Heinlein began writing Starship Troopers, and the book makes several direct references to it, such as the claim that "no 'Department of Defense' ever won a war."[20] Heinlein also refers to the American prisoners of war taken in that conflict, including the popular accusations of Communist brainwashing.[21] After the Korean War ended, there were rumors that the Chinese and North Koreans continued to hold a large number of Americans.[22] Rico's History and Moral Philosophy class at Officer Candidate School has a long discussion about whether it is moral to never leave a single man behind, even at the risk of starting a new war. Rico debates whether it was worth it to risk two nations' futures over a single man who might not even deserve to live, but concludes it "doesn't matter whether it's a thousand – or just one, sir. You fight."[23]

Several references are made to other wars: these include the name of the starship that collided with Valley Forge, Ypres, a major battleground in World War I, the starship Mannerheim, a reference to the World War II-era marshal of Finland, as well as Rico's boot camp, Camp Arthur Currie (named after Sir Arthur Currie who commanded the Canadian Corps during that war); a brief reference is also made to Camp Sergeant Smokey Smith, named after a Canadian recipient of the Victoria Cross in World War II. The airport was the location of the U.S. Army Air Corps' Walla Walla Army Air Base in World War II. The 91st Bomb Group lays claim to being the first Army Air Forces outfit to utilize that base. Another World War I reference was the phrase "Come on, you apes! You wanna live forever?", which comes from Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly at the Battle of Belleau Wood (although instead of "apes", Daly said "sons of bitches"). This phrase, however, has been attributed to various people throughout military history, including perhaps the earliest documented citation by Frederick II of Prussia when he was meant to have said "Kerls, wollt ihr ewig leben?" (tr. "Men, would you live forever?") at the Battle of Kolín. The Rodger Young was named after the World War II Medal of Honor recipient, and the lines from the chorus of Frank Loesser's Ballad of Rodger Young is used as the ship's recognition signal. Another war reference, this one from the War of 1812, is the implications of the court-martial of Third Lieutenant William Sitgreaves Cox, which are discussed in some detail.

Hmm... I'll have to see this movie if and when it comes across the 'instant download' screen on Netflix. Maybe it will turn out to be a "so bad it's good" sort of thing.

Some day, I may bore the forum with an account of having met one of the better known Paperclip scientists. I am continually amazed at how such dissimilar things may somehow connect, if only tangentially.

It would be great to see one of Heinlein's classics done well in cinema. Heinlein was a complex man who was very much the product of his era--a world in which the line between good and evil seemed more clear cut. There was a (relatively short) period when he would receive fans unannounced at his home in Colorado Springs, purely out of courtesy. Hard to imagine now!

The problem with this film is you'll have minority of idiots believing this could be possible some Nazis escaped to the moon after the fall of the Reich.

The problem with this film is you'll have minority of idiots believing this could be possible some Nazis escaped to the moon after the fall of the Reich.

Well, there's never a shortage of the gullible. My guess re this film--still not having seen it--is that it will make a very small splash, add a small handful of goofballs to the world and a few laughs before either going camp as per "Plan 9", or just quietly fading.

Back