• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Freedom To Delete Own Posts

Free versions of recent episodes:

Should forum contributors be able to delete their own posts?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't experienced that issue myself, however even if I did, I wouldn't take away the posters right to do it. I might notify other posters around the missing content ( if it were noticed ) that they may want to ammend their old posts or do whatever they as individuals feel would be preferable. If I were really interested in what the missing posts had to say I'd look for clues in quoted content and in my email notifications and contact the original poster directly. I personally don't see the preservation of this freedom as any problem. And again, to cite actual proof, I had deleted about 70 of my old posts without anyone noticing or saying a word. Only when I had mentioned it in a post did the red flag go up and the admins started complaining. I prefer to have more faith in the people and less in the machine. Some say that is a weakness. Others consider it a strength.

j.r.

Oh, trust me, I noticed. I just didn't call attention to it because I figured you had your reasons, like perhaps you've decided to leave the forum. However, as someone that wants to participate in the discussion, it seems starneg that you want to do that. I can understand you deleting your troll-like posts though. Those posts were sort of intrusive.

So when did you notice? Before or after the Monty Python post? Here's another one ...

I do try to keep my video posts topical ...

j.r.

I think members should have all options, not necessarily just the ones you select.
Besides, it seems to me you are deleting the posts not for any reason related to content, but because you can. Does that make sense here? We're not just playing role games.

It's tampering with the poll ... plain and simple. It is no differrent than if in an election, it is fairly obvious that a certain candidate is in the lead, and by having the power to add another candidate after the fact, the losing side can steer votes away from the lead and in the process change the course of an election. That is why it is illegal to do that in real politics. It's the same principle here.

Does it make sense to delete posts because I can? To this I say again, what is the point of having a freedom if it's not exercised? My reasons are irrellevant to the issue and although they happen to be perfectly legitimate reasons, I shouldn't have to defend them.

j.r.

I don't get it. Just why are you wanting to delete so many of your posts?

Hey Train, no problem. It takes more than average insight to appreciate how the small efforts we make to preserve our individual freedoms add up to the big picture, and this is a micro-model of that process in action and it is certainly a more complex issue than it appears to be on the surface. So I'll try to answer your question this way.

There are those who would simply say ( and I tend to agree ) that individual freedom to publish or unpublish our work should be a natural right. We create the content so we should have the right to modify or delete it. No explanation should be require because it shouldn't be up to someone else's subjective opinion of what they consider is "important" enough to use as an excuse to revoke your freedom. This is the core of the issue, and part of my personal reasons, but not my entire reason.

My personal reason is that I discovered that content I had posted had become locked on a closed thread and that I could no longer edit or delete it ( note that I also said "edit" for those who voted "edit only" ). The locked content is nothing I am ashamed of, but it alerted me to the fact that at some point the forum will take over complete control of my content and there would be little or nothing I could do about it. The only solution open was that of prevention ... to delete any present posts that I don't want to end up locked in the archive.

I hope that explains it enough for you. You may also want to review post #40 ( and the video ).

j.r.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

I noticed last week sometime. Like I said, it disrupts the flow of the threads.

No it doesn't ( please review video on post #45 ).

Mate its all relative,
We dont have the option of editing or deleting the spoken word, but we do have some scope for the written word here on this and other forums.

You have more control over the written word, than you do the spoken, this tends to cause people to say things on a forum they would never say in the carpark face to face.
If it really really concerns you, you might consider subjecting yourself to the carpark standard, in which case you may never need to edit or delete anything.
We have to resign ourself to certain things in life, death and taxes etc etc.

There is no such thing as freedom, its a fiction, a mental construct

Nobody is truly free...... but the lucky ones can choose their chains.

My personal reason is that I discovered that content I had posted had become locked on a closed thread and that I could no longer edit or delete it ( note that I also said "edit" for those who voted "edit only" ). The locked content is nothing I am ashamed of, but it alerted me to the fact that at some point the forum will take over complete control of my content and there would be little or nothing I could do about it. The only solution open was that of prevention ... to delete any present posts that I don't want to end up locked in the archive.

I hope that explains it enough for you. You may also want to review post #40 ( and the video ).

j.r.

You may not want to put up a facebook profile, tweet anything, or send out any emails if you are concerned about what you are saying being "locked up". Also, I don't consider what I post on this website to be my property. To me, whatever I post is public domain, end of story. You might be more comfortable starting your own blog which you would have full control over because situations like these just ain't democracies man :).

I've got 1901 tweets as of this post, some of them include the location I tweeted from. If he needs to, Steve Jobs can find me.

You may not want to put up a facebook profile, tweet anything, or send out any emails if you are concerned about what you are saying being "locked up". Also, I don't consider what I post on this website to be my property. To me, whatever I post is public domain, end of story. You might be more comfortable starting your own blog which you would have full control over because situations like these just ain't democracies man :).

I cancelled my Facebook account. I don't use Twitter or PayPal. I don't even use a cellular phone because of the crap they put in their TOS. I use email when I want a trail of correspondence and not only is that my choice, it's not the same as an "open forum". I do have my own website and I do post there. The quality of the posts I publish is very good and I can edit or remove them at any time without any problem. If my freedom to do that here is revoked, then that is where I'll post my responses, if I bother to respond at all.

In the mean time, what you do with your posts is your business, and if you don't care about your freedom to delete the content you create, that's your right. It's also completely irrellevant so far as the issue is concerned. But since you think it's cool to be "open source" about it, ( which it is and you should be commended ), you may want to note that the site owners don't seem to think your way. Check out the copyright notices on the last newsletter, which BTW if you haven't read it, also has a pretty good article.

j.r.

I cancelled my Facebook account. I don't use Twitter or PayPal. I don't even use a cellular phone because of the crap they put in their TOS. I use email when I want a trail of correspondence and not only is that my choice, it's not the same as an "open forum". I do have my own website and I do post there. The quality of the posts I publish is very good and I can edit or remove them at any time without any problem. If my freedom to do that here is revoked, then that is where I'll post my responses, if I bother to respond at all.

In the mean time, what you do with your posts is your business, and if you don't care about your freedom to delete the content you create, that's your right. It's also completely irrellevant so far as the issue is concerned. But since you think it's cool to be "open source" about it, ( which it is and you should be commended ), you may want to note that the site owners don't seem to think your way. Check out the copyright notices on the last newsletter, which BTW if you haven't read it, also has a pretty good article.

j.r.

Honestly, there's such a thing about taking this too far. You sound like a Luddite and you'll have to come to terms with the 21st century. After reading what you've written, I can pretty much say I'm the opposite of you and I'm not too worried about it.
You've written some interesting posts on this forum, unfortunately you've decided to remove them so that they can't be read - it's a shame really.
I try to live by what Mike said above - I don't say anything in this forum that I wouldn't say to your face over a drink in the pub.
You can either embrace life in the present or live like a hermit. Anyway, after re-reading that disjointed post, I realize I should go to bed.
Also, I've got to go look over my twitter feed on my iPhone before I actually sleep.

Don't be too paranoid, it's unnecessary stress.

j.r.

Ufology, you are one serious dude.

I'm 54 years old and I love twitter. I don't tweet much myself since I don't really have a big following or a website or any fame. But, I keep up with sports and news via twitter. I also enjoy facebook (don't get down because others are so busy and doing great stuff cause everybody tries to look great on a social network.) I just enjoy the technology. Actually, I was always a bookworm and a bit of a loner. So, I was kind of a nerd before being a nerd was cool. :)

Honestly, there's such a thing about taking this too far. You sound like a Luddite and you'll have to come to terms with the 21st century ...

Well I have a certain amount of respect for your "pub justice". And I won't dispute the part about me making good posts ( thank you ), but the rest of what you are saying makes no sense. so I hope the sleep did you some good.

j.r.

Ufology, you are one serious dude.

I threw these in for comic relief but you might have missed them. With all the arguing I thought this one seemed really appropriate:

https://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/8860-Freedom-To-Delete-Own-Posts?p=118817#post118817

Here's another MP on the thread "Youth and UFOS" where the poster has a great rant about how kids don't know how good they have it these days.

https://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/3449-Why...Ill-freaking-tell-you-why?p=118661#post118661

And for a little chick humor ...

https://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/3449-Why...Ill-freaking-tell-you-why?p=118681#post118681

j.r.

User's shouldn't have permissions to delete their own posts. They should understand what they are doing when they click "submit."

User's shouldn't have permissions to delete their own posts. They should understand what they are doing when they click "submit."

I couldn't agree more that people should "understand what they are doing". The key word here is should, and those who voted "no" apparently do understand, while the rest don't care, don't get it, or prefer autocratic rule to freedom of choice.

j.r.

Wow, Can I just delete the entire thread? Listen, it is simple. Think about what you write before you write it. If there is one thing this forum needs more than anything else it is forethought and patients.

If deleting it is so important, don't post it in the first place. I would much rather have a member that posts intelligently rather than often. Thus, this is essentially a NON-ISSUE. I have been asked to remove a post maybe 4 times in my time here. Most of these involved a member getting very angry and typing something that was either inappropriate or deliberately insulting. I have never been asked to delete a message by the same member twice.

I can also think of another scenario as to why we do not need this feature.

Lets say that Angelo snap posts something out there. Then I type a response. Then, during my response, he deletes his post. Now I post my response to his now deleted post. Others read my post and not knowing the context start to chime in. I try to explain and the next thing we know the thread is derailed. If there is a thing this forum needs less than ill-considered responses it is derailed threads.

So, in my opinion, it is not necessary and can be bad for thread continuity. Exercise some self control and put thought into your post instead of looking for the magic "Do Over" button. If you type something that was not what you meant, then elaborate in followup posts. Lets take some responsibility and think about things instead of just tossing them out there willy nilly. Of course it is not my site so you can appeal it to Gene if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back