• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Freedom To Delete Own Posts

Free versions of recent episodes:

Should forum contributors be able to delete their own posts?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if someone has the freedom to delete as they wish--they don't have the freedom to delete google's notorious cache pages ;) And that's precisely where I will go if a member decides to "win" an argument in a thread by some Stalinist revision.

Wow, Can I just delete the entire thread? Listen, it is simple. Think about what you write before you write it. If there is one thing this forum needs more than anything else it is forethought and patients.

Why would you ask the first question? It's irrelevant. But sure, I agree we should "think".

NOTE: I think you meant to say "patience" ... not "patients".

If deleting it is so important, don't post it in the first place. I would much rather have a member that posts intelligently rather than often. Thus, this is essentially a NON-ISSUE. I have been asked to remove a post maybe 4 times in my time here. Most of these involved a member getting very angry and typing something that was either inappropriate or deliberately insulting. I have never been asked to delete a message by the same member twice.

Thanks again for the irrelevant advice. The pointless anecdote was a nice touch too.

I can also think of another scenario as to why we do not need this feature.
Lets say that Angelo snap posts something out there. Then I type a response. Then, during my response, he deletes his post. Now I post my response to his now deleted post. Others read my post and not knowing the context start to chime in. I try to explain and the next thing we know the thread is derailed. If there is a thing this forum needs less than ill-considered responses it is derailed threads.

I'm glad you can "think" up scenarios, but the word "we" as in "we do not need this feature" implies that you are speaking for everyone, which you aren't. And whether or not "we need" it has nothing to do with the issue. What you are really saying is that you don't think the feature should be an option. But since it is, and we have the freedom to use it ( yes "we" as in all of us ) you are expressing your view that this freedom should be revoked for all of us, including those people who don't agree with you.

So, in my opinion, it is not necessary and can be bad for thread continuity. Exercise some self control and put thought into your post instead of looking for the magic "Do Over" button. If you type something that was not what you meant, then elaborate in followup posts. Lets take some responsibility and think about things instead of just tossing them out there willy nilly. Of course it is not my site so you can appeal it to Gene if you like.

I'm glad you want to at least be responsible because responsibility is what I've been talking about all along. It's the kind that involves the preservation of personal freedom over authoritarian control, and how that responsibility is always important, no matter how small the issue may seem. The rationale of reducing our freedom for the sake of "thread continuity" is the same kind of collectivism that repressors of individual freedom the world over impose on their subjects. Ironically, this repression of freedom is promoted by various purveyors of propoganda as "preserving our freedom", or "maintaining our security" or some other combination of rhetoric and imagery that the media pumps out in order to manufacture consent.

j.r.

J.R.,

Your concern for your personal freedom is getting silly. Perhaps you should move into a cabin in the woods, and send your mail through carrier pigeon? I know that's cliché, but c'mon dude, this is just an internet forum where we talk about space aliens and magical skulls. Stop being so damn serious, no one is following your every move on the internet.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Are you calling me an idiot?
Wonderful - now no one knows what I'm talking about because the post is gone. See what I mean? There was a cartoon there just a minute ago.

J.R.,

Your concern for your personal freedom is getting silly. Perhaps you should move into a cabin in the woods, and send your mail through carrier pigeon? I know that's cliché, but c'mon dude, this is just an internet forum where we talk about space aliens and magical skulls. Stop being so damn serious, no one is following your every move on the internet.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Are you calling me an idiot?
Wonderful - now no one knows what I'm talking about because the post is gone. See what I mean? There was a cartoon there just a minute ago.

Uh cartoon ? What cartoon .... ( just kidding ). The uploader wasn't showing it as being visible or I would have left it in place. I've tried to upload it again several times but it doesn't come up on my screen, all I get is a red X with an "Error".

But regarding your question ... if you saw the cartoon and didn't think it was funny then you are the one who needs to lighten up. I also threw these in for comic relief earlier, but you might have missed them. With all the arguing I thought this first one seemed apropo:

https://www.theparacast.com/forum/thr...817#post118817

Here's another MP on the thread "Youth and UFOS" where the poster has a great rant about how kids don't know how good they have it these days.

https://www.theparacast.com/forum/thr...661#post118661

And for a little chick humor ...

https://www.theparacast.com/forum/thr...681#post118681

But "seriously", you think my concern for personal freedom is getting "silly" and rationalize that statement as valid because, "this is just an internet forum where we talk about space aliens ... "? So ... your point is what ... that we should take our personal freedoms about as seriously as we do space aliens? Or are you saying space aliens are silly and therefore talking about our personal freedoms here is silly? Maybe you could explain what you mean in a little more detail.

j.r.

Comedy is rarely lost on me, so I was joking, but in text my tone is lost. All I'm saying is that very few people in the grand scheme of things actually see your posts. As a courtesy to those that do look at them, please leave them in place. No one is going to use them to destroy your freedom. Relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back