• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Freedom To Delete Own Posts

Free versions of recent episodes:

Should forum contributors be able to delete their own posts?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Should forum users have the freedom to delete their own posts? Simple question. I wonder how our benevolent dictators will respond?

Should forum users have the freedom to delete their own posts? Simple question. I wonder how our benevolent dictators will respond?
It depends. If you are deleting a post because it contains erroneous material, or that you simply made a mistake, then that would be ok. I don't think there is any need to delete posts just because you don't like having your written words hanging around on a forum for too long. As Gene said, it messes up the thread.
You seem to be making a deal about this. Why is that? It seems like every second thread has the same post from you on it.

You could probably start with deleting all of the repetitious posts from those threads. A bit annoying, mate.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I don't think there is a "It depends" option in the "Delete Post" feature.

j.r.
Then you should have put one in.

You could probably start with deleting all of the repetitious posts from those threads. A bit annoying, mate.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Then you should have put one in.

I didn't write the program ... You probably thought that I meant the poll when I said "feature". How about I'll forgive you for the mistake and we can both delete our last two posts?

j.r.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

ufology said:
I didn't write the program ... You probably thought that I meant the poll when I said "feature". How about I'll forgive you for the mistake and we can both delete our last two posts?

j.r.

Half the time when I post something new it never appears in the "New Posts" notifications. By posting a few notices in the new threads, attention will be drawn to the poll, then pricesly as you suggest, in a few days, I'll pull the noticies off by deleting them. No harm is done, no threads are "screwed up", and everything is cool.

j.r.

Sure, that'd be good. You forgive me for that and i will forgive you for unnecessarily spamming all of the other, unrelated threads.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Half the time when I post something new it never appears in the "New Posts" notifications. By posting a few notices in the new threads, attention will be drawn to the poll, then pricesly as you suggest, in a few days, I'll pull the noticies off by deleting them. No harm is done, no threads are "screwed up", and everything is cool.

j.r.
You must be doing something wrong then. It works for me. Are you worried that no-one will read your thread? Or are you miffed because Gene seemed uninterested in your complaint?

Sure, that'd be good. You forgive me for that and i will forgive you for unnecessarily spamming all of the other, unrelated threads.

It's a concern that affects all forum users and posting a notice that will be removed in a few days isn't going to hurt anybody ... that is unless you don't believe we ( the users ) should be made aware that this right is now in question and would rather that users remain unaware of it.

j.r.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

You must be doing something wrong then. It works for me. Are you worried that no-one will read your thread? Or are you miffed because Gene seemed uninterested in your complaint?

I never made a complaint. In fact, nobody even noticed until I mentioned it. Then Gene complained and I posted the poll. And yes, I am concerned that no-one will read the thread and vote unless it gets listed in the "New Posts" page and people are made aware. As for doing something "wrong" ... it's supposed to be automatic, but it just doesn't always show the latest posts. So I compensate by doing a little "cross marketing" so to speak. Nobody has complained about it until now.

j.r.

I try to word my posts carefully. Maybe I'm a bit OCD. But it's easy to post something that seems like what you wanted to say at the time, only to realize it comes across differently on the screen. After a post has been up for any length of time, most members will have probably seen it anyway. I don't see why the ability to edit or delete should be any big deal.

j.r. a spammer? No, I don't think so. His arguments are actually quite well presented.

I favor being able to delete posts. Yes, it can screw up a thread if people respond to something that's not there anymore. But I've posted some things (not so much here as in other forums) that after I've calmed down or sobered up I really wish I hadn't. Being able to delete them would have been good.

There is always that edit button as well, I support the idea of it though.

By the way...what's with the crusade about this in almost every topic? I think if you ask a moderator nicely, he would and will be able to erase every trace on here.

There is always that edit button as well, I support the idea of it though.
By the way...what's with the crusade about this in almost every topic? I think if you ask a moderator nicely, he would and will be able to erase every trace on here.

The "crusade" are just fast posts to let people know that the topic has come up and needs their attention. When I first posted the poll, it didn't show up in the "Recent Posts" page, and as explained above, half the time when I post something new in the UFO section, it doesn't comes up in the recent posts page either. I don't know why. Maybe they edit them out, or maybe it's just the way the software works.

But whatever the case may be, I wanted to be sure that forum members know about this issue ( it affects us all - not just me ), so I posted the notices in the top few of the new posts list. I'll be deleting them in a day or two if the function is retained. If it's not, obviously I won't be able to.

Anyway, so far ... what ... 5 people have bothered to vote and one of them doesn't even care. But I've been given a choice, and depending on what I do, it looks like the feature will either be left in place or turned off. If it gets turned off, I think it gets turned off for everyone, not just me, but maybe one of the moderators could confirm that for me please. Anyway, I felt obligated to let people know so that they could contribute their opinion before it happens. I hope that helps answer your question.

j.r.

I read the whole thread before voting. My first reaction was "no" because you can edit it. Which is almost the same thing when you go in and change your words and meaning of the post. But, when I think about it a delete function isn't a bad thing either. But, again I have seen (on other forums) where somebody will get their ass verbally kicked and then go back and delete their part of the conversation making the exchange useless. So, I am for the edit button. That would have been a good choice in the poll. You don't simply "delete" but you can go in and either say "I'm changing this because I no longer feel this way" or "I am going to elaborate." Either way you have a certain amount of 'power" over your post. So, in the end I vote (even if it's not a choice listed) to simply use the edit function and not worry about the "delete" issue at all.

See, I am now editing my post. Now, I can say that I voted no but with the reservation of being able to edit it and therefore I can delete some thoughts or add to some thoughts simply by the edit function. So, the poll (like most polls are) is weak in that you can only say "yes" "No" or "Don't care" But, with my handy dandy edit button I was able to vote "no" but then give my reasoning and it isn't simply a cold hard yes or no up or down reason. :)

I agree that it's nice to have more options in polls, but either the delete feature will be disabled or it won't ... or people don't care. The edit feature isn't part of the question. Naturally I think that the edit feature should also be retained, but's it's not part of this issue at this time, so it was left out of the poll.

The point for me is that I as an individual don't like losing freedoms even if they are small. Freedom of speech ( to publish ) is just as important as freedom not to speak ( or publish ). So as the author of a post, I prefer to retain both rights. So now either we ( the posters ) retain that right, or we lose that right. In this context, a clear yes or no are what's needed. I threw in the "Who Cares" option to allow those who don't care about losing their right to unpublish an opportunity to express that sentiment.

j.r.

The "crusade" are just fast posts to let people know that the topic has come up and needs their attention. When I first posted the poll, it didn't show up in the "Recent Posts" page, and as explained above, half the time when I post something new in the UFO section, it doesn't comes up in the recent posts page either. I don't know why. Maybe they edit them out, or maybe it's just the way the software works.

But whatever the case may be, I wanted to be sure that forum members know about this issue ( it affects us all - not just me ), so I posted the notices in the top few of the new posts list. I'll be deleting them in a day or two if the function is retained. If it's not, obviously I won't be able to.

Anyway, so far ... what ... 5 people have bothered to vote and one of them doesn't even care. But I've been given a choice, and depending on what I do, it looks like the feature will either be left in place or turned off. If it gets turned off, I think it gets turned off for everyone, not just me, but maybe one of the moderators could confirm that for me please. Anyway, I felt obligated to let people know so that they could contribute their opinion before it happens. I hope that helps answer your question.

j.r.

So we don't take this into woo-woo land, we have no control over what shows up as a recent post and/or topic. All that's done behind the scenes by the vBulletin forum software, or one of the many add-ons (products/plugins) that we use. I know at least one of those developers is a regular visitor to these forums, and perhaps he'll have a chance to explain that further.

My main concern here is that, in deleting a post, you delete a thread (because that's what can happen if you delete the first post), or you will simply confuse the members because people have been responding to the non-existent post. I realize some of you subscribe to threads, so you get an email notice about it with the text of the post. But not everyone does, and most people who do probably delete the messages after reading them. I know I do, because I would otherwise have over 113,000 extra messages to manage.

As with every privilege, there is the danger of abuse. Just deleting your posts willy-nilly, without a valid reason for doing so, abuses the privilege. We leave that feature enabled to give you a second chance. If you say something in the heat of the moment that you regret, you can remove the message. If you think you can say something better, or you want to fix a typo, you are able to go back and edit your post later. Some forums put a time limit on editing, and won't let you delete a post without asking the moderator.

I'd rather keep the forums loose and friendly as much as possible. But if things go to far, I'll have to rethink that position.

I voted "edit only".
Deletion, even by the author, for reasons other than vulgarity or trolling, is the same thing as censorship.
You put it on here. Alcohol, drugs or other mind altered posts are still posts. Own it man (or women:)).

So we don't take this into woo-woo land ...
My main concern here is that, in deleting a post, you delete a thread (because that's what can happen if you delete the first post) ... As with every privilege, there is the danger of abuse.

What's "woo-woo" land?

I tried to delete a thread I started because nobody was responding, but I couldn't, so the part about deleting threads you don't seem to need to worry about.

j.r.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

I voted "edit only".
Deletion, even by the author, for reasons other than vulgarity or trolling, is the same thing as censorship. You put it on here. Alcohol, drugs or other mind altered posts are still posts. Own it man (or women:)).

The right to remain silent or retract one's own statements is not censorship. Censorship is preventing other people from expressing their views. If my view is that what I said should be removed, and I am denied that right, then part of my individual right to control what I publish has been revoked ... that is censorship.

j.r.

First once you come here you don't have the "right" to post. You have the priviledge of joining a commuity. You have the right to a letter to the editor. To start you own blog. To buy advertising. To say what you feel but not to make the rules. This is the "Paracast" forum. I think the edit post takes care of the concern. I do understand about deleting a post. But, you always retain the right to come back and clarify or edit. You may have to agree to disagree or stop posting. I'm not saying you should. I hope you continue to post. But, the "paracast" maintains the right to set the rules of their forum. As for people not responding to a thread. It happens. But, sometime sombody will wait a while and pull up an old post and respond then. You just never know. I'm made some interesting (to me) threads and seen them sink like a stone until they were buried. That's just how it is. This is topic driven and if people don't show an interest or respond to your thread you can rephrase it and see if they respond then. Or just mabe they don't want to talk about it. IT happens. It's even happened to me and I know I ain't boring. :p

Tyder ...

What I'm saying is that the site owners either grant us the right or deny us the right. To grant us the right ( which they have so far ) is consistent with a respect for the freedom of each poster to handle their own content. To deny posters the right to delete their own posts diminishes that freedom.

As for "privilege", you have it completely backwards. The privilege is theirs. Without posters, this forum would be completely pointless. The quality and numbers of contributors provides statistics to win advertising and helps advance the efforts of the site owners to expand.

The site owners should be thankful for every poster who takes the time to post content, I certainly know I would be, lately I have made a concerted effort to thank many posters for their contributions and to add reputation points as well.

And again, like I already mentioned, nobody even noticed I was deleting my old posts until I mentioned it a couple of days ago. Now we have a whole 7 people who have bothered to even vote ... what's the big deal? Nobody was complaining before ... now all of a sudden it's going to "woo-woo land" ... whatever that is.

j.r.

It's about recent/latest posts appearing or not appearing, not about your ability to delete messages. Please read my comments again.

No, I don't have it backwards. I understand completly what you are saying. I simply disagree that it's a problem. The edit button takes care of the problem. I can come back and delete and add and change any post I would like to. I also understand what you are saying about them needing posters. But, if they were losing posters due to this issue then I'm sure they would address it. However, since most people think it's an overblown issue or a non issue especially with the edit button then they are not likely to change. Anyway, I'm done with this one since I think you have your mind made up. I don't think your wrong but at the same time I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Especially with the edit button active and with the "right" to come back and clarify or disown or explain a previous post. But, again I do understand what you are saying and I will hush now and see if you or anybody else gives me a good reason to rethink my posistion. Which could happen here because it's really not that big of a deal to me. So, I'm just gonna hush about this topic. Unless I don't. :p

Someone has changed the parameters of the poll to include "Edit Only", which wasn't there before. I don't think users can do that so it must have been an admin. The change is going to water down and deflect attention away from the issue of our freedom to delete our own posts. Nice maneuvering.

J. Randall Murphy
USI Calgary
www.ufopages.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back