• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dr Brandenburg Show

Hi Gene & Christopher ,

You blew the lid off this interview regards highly intelligent discussion on Mars (which you do every week) and banter. I found Dr John Brandenburg a enlightening enjoyable scientist and highly respectable academic. I hope Dr John Brandenburg publisher release his books on Kindle? Can't wait to hear Stanton Friedman viewpoints :) The atomic explosion on Mars, Crashed UFO! Regular on the Paracast indeed :)

Peace space brothers8)
BF

A great show guys! It was a very enjoyable show and I'd love to more from Dr. Brandenburg. Chris really hit on a subject for a future show with him toward the end where he asked his advice on designing experiments.

Excellent stuff !!!

What struck me was his reminder that the idea that 'life is pervasive throughout the universe' is still not widely accepted by scientists and is really the next major paradigm shift/culture shock that humanity will have to process in the near future.

This episode convinced me that humans should concentrate on Mars instead of returning to the moon. An ancient beach near cydonian structures.... fascinating ;)

It was definitely one of the most interesting and useful shows we've had recently.
I actually would've liked to hear him talk more about Mars, since he had a lot of interesting things to say on the subject - whereas the UFO issue is one where everyone is equally in the dark so anything anybody says is pretty much whistling in the wind.

A note of caution is needed of course, since being an expert in one area of science does not automatically grant someone much more than a layman's grasp of other areas - this is the mistake Stan Friedman makes for instance when he fails to grasp that being a nuclear physicist (although I don't know to what extent he's kept up on developments since the '60s) does not qualify him to belittle the work of the majority of the world's climate scientists.

Still, the Mars stuff is truly fascinating, and I'm leaning towards putting in a preorder for the book.

This was a pretty interesting episode. The guest was an actual physicist and it was interesting to hear someone like that talk on this show for a change. I have to say my openness to what he was saying narrowed a little after all the talk of Hoagland and Sidonia, but I still listened.

I found the information about the nuclear explosion really interesting, but I wouldn't know where to begin finding out of that is a fringe theory or if many other planetary scientists (is that a correct term?) or astronomers believe this also. The idea of an ancient ocean is also really interesting.

Maybe it's addressed in his book, but I have to wonder why he assumes that life on Mars (speculation to begin with) got transported here, survived the journey, and was compatible chemically with Earth's biosphere. And then, assuming it was, how do we know that it used DNA or that whatever genes it had were remotely compatible with native life here? Is there any life on Earth whose genes aren't made of the same bases? So many assumptions!

A note of caution is needed of course, since being an expert in one area of science does not make automatically grant someone much more than a layman's grasp of other areas

I think that's a very fair and very true point.

Fun show.
I didn't agree with most of Dr. Brandenburg's conclusions though.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Also, did it bother anyone else that he kept saying, "As a scientist" and "I'm a plasma physicist?" Now I listen to A LOT of interviews with scientists and I've never heard anyone say it so often. Just an observation.

By the way, if this is the physicist that Ray Stanford showed his evidence to, I call it preaching to the choir.

Fun show.
I didn't agree with most of Dr. Brandenburg's conclusions though.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Also, did it bother anyone else that he kept saying, "As a scientist" and "I'm a plasma physicist?" Now I listen to A LOT of interviews with scientists and I've never heard anyone say it so often. Just an observation.

By the way, if this is the physicist that Ray Stanford showed his evidence to, I call it preaching to the choir.

I enjoyed it too. It made me think that we might have it all wrong when it comes to NASA...

Many of us consider NASA to be an outdated institution opposite to looking for radical data concerning extraterrestrial life. Dr. Brandenburg's remarks that among many scientists there is a latent fear to even consider to investigate for evidence of life on Mars --be that extinct or current-- sure forces us to see NASA's past attempts to prove a case for extraterrestrial life --e.g. the famous meteorite from Antarctica, and this new "arsenite" controversy-- in a whole new way.

Having said that, there's still a part of me who feels the progression on the scientific perspectives on Mars --from a barren world, to a world who once might have had water, to a world where there was once water, to a world where there might still be water, etc-- is all part of a conditioning system to slowly get the public accustomed to the paradigm shift of a universe teeming with life.

A conditioning plan meant to disclose to our children the sensational discovery of intelligent life which once inhabited Mars, and our children would probably Mwitter* about if for a few hours... and then move on to the next big thing ;)

*Mwitter (c) Mental Twitters, would probably be the preferred form of communication in 2025 --you heard it first here :p

I enjoyed it too. It made me think that we might have it all wrong when it comes to NASA...

Many of us consider NASA to be an outdated institution opposite to looking for radical data concerning extraterrestrial life. Dr. Brandenburg's remarks that among many scientists there is a latent fear to even consider to investigate for evidence of life on Mars --be that extinct or current-- sure forces us to see NASA's past attempts to prove a case for extraterrestrial life --e.g. the famous meteorite from Antarctica, and this new "arsenite" controversy-- in a whole new way.

Having said that, there's still a part of me who feels the progression on the scientific perspectives on Mars --from a barren world, to a world who once might have had water, to a world where there was once water, to a world where there might still be water, etc-- is all part of a conditioning system to slowly get the public accustomed to the paradigm shift of a universe teeming with life.

A conditioning plan meant to disclose to our children the sensational discovery of intelligent life which once inhabited Mars, and our children would probably Mwitter* about if for a few hours... and then move on to the next big thing ;)

*Mwitter (c) Mental Twitters, would probably be the preferred form of communication in 2025 --you heard it first here :p

I'd say that's what science does. It corrects itself as it goes along.

I didn't agree with most of Dr. Brandenburg's conclusions though. Also, did it bother anyone else that he kept saying, "As a scientist" and "I'm a plasma physicist?" Now I listen to A LOT of interviews with scientists and I've never heard anyone say it so often. Just an observation. By the way, if this is the physicist that Ray Stanford showed his evidence to, I call it preaching to the choir.
Angelo: Any other perceived negatives you'd like to pick at? Google is your friend, look him up. It seems it doesn't matter who we get to come on the show, they will never live up to your lofty, idealized standards of excellence and decorum.

OK, I'll do your work for you:

John Brandenburg Ph.D.

John E. Brandenburg is a plasma physicist at Orbital Technologies in Madison Wisconsin, working on space plasma technologies and space propulsion. He also performed research on the MET(Microwave Electro-Thermal) plasma thruster for space propulsion, Rocket Plume-Regolith Interactions on the Moon and Mars, Vortex theory of Rocket engine design, and Kaluza-Klein theory of Field Unification for purposes of space propulsion. He also performed an architecture study for a Human Mars Mission using solar electric propulsion. Before coming to ORBITEC he was performing research on air plasmas and plasma propulsion at Florida Space Institute. He is a pioneer in creating electrodeless atmospheric pressure plasmas in air using microwaves. Before this he was at The Aerospace Corporation, where one of his duties was as principle investigator of the MET propulsion project.

Before coming to Aerospace corporation Dr. Brandenburg was a researcher at Research Support Instruments (RSI) where he specialized in making controlled laboratory plasmas for uses ranging from air plasmas for surface sterilization , Fusion research and the MET thruster. He also worked as an independent consultant on Space Missile Defense, Directed Energy Weapons, and space rocket plume phenomenology, and also at Mission Research Corporation and Sandia National Laboratories on plasmas for controlled fusion and similar topics.

He obtained his MS in Applied Science at University of California at Davis and his PhD in Theoretical Plasma Physics at the UC Davis extension campus at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore California. The Title of his Thesis was “A Theoretical Model of a Reversed Field Ion Layer Made of Monoenergetic Ions” and dealt with the magnetic confinement of plasmas for controlled nuclear fusion. Inspired by the Apollo missions to choose a career in Physics he has always been an avid fan of space exploration and science fiction.

The Refereed Publications of Dr. Brandenburg include:

1. Brandenburg, J.E. (2007) “The Value of the Gravitation Constant and its Relation
to Cosmic Electrodynamics,” IEEE Transactions On Plasma Science, Plasma
Cosmology Issue Vol. 35, No. 4., p845.

2. Brandenburg, J.E. Kline , J.F. , and Sullivan D.F. (2005) “The Microwave Electro-
Thermal (MET) Thruster Using Water As Propellant “ IEEE Transactions On
Plasma Science Vol. 33, No. 2. p776.

3. J. E. Brandenburg and John F. Kline, (1998) “Experimental Investigation of Large-
Volume PIA Plasmas at Atmospheric Pressure” IEEE Transactions on Plasma
Science, Vol. 26, 2. p145-149.

4. J.E. Brandenburg (1996) “Mars as the Parent Body of the CI Carbonaceous
Chondrites” Geophysical Research Letters, Vol 23, 9, p961-964.

5. J.E. Brandenburg (1995) “ A Model Cosmology Based on Gravity Electro-
Magnetism Unification”, Astrophysics and Space Science, Vol 277, p133-144. (
also in “Plasma Astrophysics and Cosmology” (1995) A. L. Peratt Editor , Kluwer
Academic Publishers)

6. J.E. Brandenburg (1995) “Constraints on the Martian Cratering Rate Based on the
SNC Meteorites and Implications for Mars Climatic History” earth Moon and
Planets 67: p35-45.

7. J. E. Brandenburg, (1994) “The MET ( Microwave Electro-Thermal )Thruster”,
Proceedings of the University of Utah Small Satellite Conference (1994)

10. J. E. Brandenburg (1992) “Unification of Gravity and Electromagnetism in the
Plasma Universe” IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science , Plasma Cosmology
Issue Vol 20, 6, p944.

11. J.E. Brandenburg, Vincent DiPietro, and Gregory Molenaar,(1991) “The Cydonian
Hypothesis” Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol 5. , 1, p 1-25,

12. J.E. Brandenburg (1990) “ A Theory of the Relaxation of Tokamak Discharges”,
Journal of Plasma Physics.Vol 43, part 2, p283.

13. J.E. Brandenburg and Richard F. Post(1986)“ Analytical Field reversed Equilibria
Derived from Self-consistent Particle Orbits, Part II” Nuclear Fusion 26, 1073.

14. J.E. Brandenburg and E. P. Lee, (1986) “A Model of Hose Instabilities in Rotating
Electron Beams” Phys. of Fluids, 43, 1501.

15. Richard F. Post and J.E. Brandenburg , (1981)“ Analytical Field reversed
Equilibria Derived from Self-consistent Particle Orbits, Part I” Nuclear Fusion

Angelo: Any other perceived negatives you'd like to pick at? Google is your friend, look him up. It seems it doesn't matter who we get to come on the show, they will never live up to your lofty, idealized standards of excellence and decorum.

John Brandenburg Ph.D.

John E. Brandenburg is a plasma physicist at Orbital Technologies in Madison Wisconsin, working on space plasma technologies and space propulsion. He also performed research on the MET(Microwave Electro-Thermal) plasma thruster for space propulsion, Rocket Plume-Regolith Interactions on the Moon and Mars, Vortex theory of Rocket engine design, and Kaluza-Klein theory of Field Unification for purposes of space propulsion. He also performed an architecture study for a Human Mars Mission using solar electric propulsion. Before coming to ORBITEC he was performing research on air plasmas and plasma propulsion at Florida Space Institute. He is a pioneer in creating electrodeless atmospheric pressure plasmas in air using microwaves. Before this he was at The Aerospace Corporation, where one of his duties was as principle investigator of the MET propulsion project.

Before coming to Aerospace corporation Dr. Brandenburg was a researcher at Research Support Instruments (RSI) where he specialized in making controlled laboratory plasmas for uses ranging from air plasmas for surface sterilization , Fusion research and the MET thruster. He also worked as an independent consultant on Space Missile Defense, Directed Energy Weapons, and space rocket plume phenomenology, and also at Mission Research Corporation and Sandia National Laboratories on plasmas for controlled fusion and similar topics.

He obtained his MS in Applied Science at University of California at Davis and his PhD in Theoretical Plasma Physics at the UC Davis extension campus at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore California. The Title of his Thesis was “A Theoretical Model of a Reversed Field Ion Layer Made of Monoenergetic Ions” and dealt with the magnetic confinement of plasmas for controlled nuclear fusion. Inspired by the Apollo missions to choose a career in Physics he has always been an avid fan of space exploration and science fiction.

1. Brandenburg, J.E. (2007) “The Value of the Gravitation Constant and its Relation

2. Brandenburg, J.E. Kline , J.F. , and Sullivan D.F. (2005) “The Microwave Electro-

3. J. E. Brandenburg and John F. Kline, (1998) “Experimental Investigation of Large-

Academic Publishers)

6. J.E. Brandenburg (1995) “Constraints on the Martian Cratering Rate Based on the

10. J. E. Brandenburg (1992) “Unification of Gravity and Electromagnetism in the
Issue Vol 20, 6, p944.

11. J.E. Brandenburg, Vincent DiPietro, and Gregory Molenaar,(1991) “The Cydonian

12. J.E. Brandenburg (1990) “ A Theory of the Relaxation of Tokamak Discharges”,

13. J.E. Brandenburg and Richard F. Post(1986)“ Analytical Field reversed Equilibria

14. J.E. Brandenburg and E. P. Lee, (1986) “A Model of Hose Instabilities in Rotating

Thanks Chris - I did look him up though before I wrote that. So, because he's a scientist I have to agree with him? Do you prefer I don't give my opinion at all?

You are really so defensive. What makes him more right than the scientists that don't think there's a face on Mars or that don't think there's a UFO cover up? Why is his opinion more valid than theirs? I just said I don't happen to agree with him and i also pointed out his quirks. Have someone from the other point of view on at the same time and then we'll talk.

I'd say that's what science does. It corrects itself as it goes along.

Further proof of the self-correction —or another step in the acclimatization plan:

Viking Found Organics on Mars, Experiment Confirms

More than 30 years after NASA's Viking landers found no evidence for organic materials on Mars, scientists say a new experiment on Mars-like soil shows Viking did, in fact, hit pay dirt.
The new study was prompted by the August 2008 discovery of powerful oxygen-busting compounds known as perchlorates at the landing site of another Mars probe called Phoenix.
"If the Viking team had said 'Well, maybe there's perchlorate in the soil,' everybody would have said they're crazy -- why would there be perchlorates in the soil? It was only by having it pushed on us by Phoenix where we had no alternative but to conclude that there was perchlorate in the soil … Once you realize it's there, then everything makes sense," McKay added.
The most interesting thing for me, is that all these news never make it to the front lines of newspapers.
That's why I keep predicting that the final revelation of intelligent ET life will be received with a collective "Meh" —if all goes according to plan, that is :cool:

Thanks Chris - I did look him up though before I wrote that. So, because he's a scientist I have to agree with him? Do you prefer I don't give my opinion at all?

You are really so defensive. What makes him more right than the scientists that don't think there's a face on Mars or that don't think there's a UFO cover up? Why is his opinion more valid than theirs? I just said I don't happen to agree with him and i also pointed out his quirks. Have someone from the other point of view on at the same time and then we'll talk.
No Angelo, I wasn't saying that you or anyone has to agree with him or anybody else for that matter. I was just pointing out your penchant for immediately looking for anything negative to bring up. Instead of accentuating the positives of him being on the show i.e., wow, isn't nice to hear from a real rocket scientist on the show, you chose to point out that he reminded us of his credentials (the inference being that he is somehow not credible in his own mind) and that he is impressed by the scientific ufological work of Ray Stanford (whom you give absolutely zero credibility, thus the inference being he is "quirky" so he must be full of BS). That's what I dislike most about hard-boiled skeptics, they immediately knee-jerk react and accentuate any perceived negatives (whether valid or not) and go on the attack, instead of looking first for the positives and appreciate when someone of Brandenburg's stature has the courage to be open-minded and willing to talk to us non-academics. But, that's your MO and we are all used to it by now--we don't expect anything positive from you and your ilk who lurk about looking for cracks in the armor.

I did start out by saying "fun show."
I'm not looking for any cracks in any armor. I made my observation and it was a negative one. This place would be boring if no one had any criticism.

John Brandenburg Ph.D.

Academic Publishers)

Issue Vol 20, 6, p944.

My jaw just dropped !

This obviously adds enormous weight to the Mars scenarios as proposed and described by Dr. Brandenburg. An excellent scientific mind with perspectives and credibility way beyond his credentials in plasma physics.
...Of course ideas always need to be debated and further investigated ;)

I did start out by saying "fun show."
So was the Bill Knell show. Your choice of languaging seems dismissive to me.
I'm not looking for any cracks in any armor. I made my observation and it was a negative one. This place would be boring if no one had any criticism.
But, as you can tell, I'm looking for cracks in yours. It would also be boring if people like myself didn't point out your sneakily biased tactics. :)

So was the Bill Knell show. Your choice of languaging seems dismissive to me.
But, as you can tell, I'm looking for cracks in yours. It would also be boring if people like myself didn't point out your sneakily biased tactics. :)

Point away, dude. I'm not making any claims of knowing anything about Mars past what I've read in science books. The guest's ideas just seem to be the opposite of the ones I find to be the most rational. If I'm wrong, well, I'm wrong. Life goes on and I will embrace my Martian cousins when they arrive.
My areas of expertise are videogames, art history, and Apple products. You want to really argue with me, try to make wild claims about those topics. Art history to lesser extent since there's tons of wild theories in that discipline.

What makes him more right than the scientists that don't think there's a face on Mars or that don't think there's a UFO cover up? Why is his opinion more valid than theirs?

I have always thought the answer to this is informed research. He has at least taken the time to do requisite research. We both know that Shermer hasn't. Most other scientists haven't either. It's akin to me offering my views and opinions on the next big technology widget having never researched it. I have expertise in that field but if i have not researched the device in question my opinions are unsupported. No matter what my credentials are.

By the way and for the record, I am not a stockholder in the "Face on Mars" corporation. My comments above are meant to be more general.

I have always thought the answer to this is informed research. He has at least taken the time to do requisite research. We both know that Shermer hasn't. Most other scientists haven't either. It's akin to me offering my views and opinions on the next big technology widget having never researched it. I have expertise in that field but if i have not researched the device in question my opinions are unsupported. No matter what my credentials are.

By the way and for the record, I am not a stockholder in the "Face on Mars" corporation. My comments above are meant to be more general.

I agree with you Ron. I just don't agree with his conclusions - there's no harm in that. If he's right, great.

Back