• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dark Matter is Dead - Long Live DMR!

I enjoy listening to the Museum of The Paracast but I don't think it would make it on SiriusXM. The Museum of The Paracast is devoted to Ruppelt, Keyhoe, Blue Book and other dusty topics of the 20th Century. Unfortunately, it goes out of its way not to interview recent UFO witnesses or investigate current sightings and paranormal events. That's OK, though. A museum is a museum.

keyhoe.jpg
Curator of the Museum of The Paracast

I didn't get into paranormal radio/podcasts until after the original Coast to Coast, but over the last few years I have heard tell of this mythical 'Art Bell' character who made the best paranormal radio shows ever, got the best guests, asked the best questions, had the best call-ins.

So when it was announced that he was returning to the airwaves, I was very, very interested.

What I got was a series of long, drawn-out shows, filled with the same old tired guests as all the two-bit podcasts, but with none of the analysis. No matter what insane claims his guests made, Art ate everything up with a spoon and asked for more. It was, in a word, disappointing.

There's no denying he's a got a great radio voice, but that's not enough. The world has moved on. Today we have the Paracast, Mysterious Universe, After Dark, Podcast UFO, The Gralien Report and hundred other paranormal shows with high production values and intelligent, inquisitive hosts.

Art was going to be put out to pasture sooner or later - I guess we just got it sooner.

I enjoy listening to the Museum of The Paracast but I don't think it would make it on SiriusXM. The Museum of The Paracast is devoted to Ruppelt, Keyhoe, Blue Book and other dusty topics of the 20th Century. Unfortunately, it goes out of its way not to interview recent UFO witnesses or investigate current sightings and paranormal events. That's OK, though. A museum is a museum.

keyhoe.jpg
Curator of the Museum of The Paracast

Howard stern is on xm/sirius I think he belongs in a museum.

I think Art was so revered because he came along at a time when these subjects were on a tremendous downswing as far as mainstream acceptance and media coverage were concerned. Art gave people who were being marginalized and ignored a platform to express their ideas and for the most part, he didn't judge them. Combine that with the effects of nostalgia and you can see why a mediocre broadcaster is remembered so reverently by so many. I always found his show interesting but certainly not because of him, just like I find the current Coast to Coast interesting (sometimes) despite George Snoory.

According to a post on his website Art is going to be looking for a new avenue to get his show out there. I hate to see anyone lose their job. The world and the radio dial are big places. Having said that, I wonder if now would be the time for a "Cease and desist" letter on the name thing.

On art's next go round: Art Bell Redux 3..0

That mention was in jest of course, but still being that his name had (has?) marquee value, I'm kinda surprised he hasn't gotten his name in there, ala The Art Bell show.

In show business, comebacks don't happen very often. People who get out of the business and return to reestablish themselves don't always fare so well.

I know that his archived shows on c2c are called somewhere with art bell, it couldn't be that premiete networks has the sole right to use that name do they?

Arts Facebook Page:" Sometimes when you are "All in" you win, sometimes lose. By Mutual agreement Dark Matter will no longer air as of tonight"

Don looks like the name issue resolved itself ;)

Well Art managed to do 6 weeks of radio without retiring a new record.

Also it appears Art's Facebook page is gone now.

Art is GONE.
Well.... i liked the show while it lasted it was entertaining always enjoy Art for the entertainment factor, what i don't like is people emailing me for money :(

Actually, getting any show, other than sports, on Sirius XM now might be a tad more difficult. They have already pulled a talk channel, one that featured GCN's Alex Jones and other acts. But I hear GCN is trying for a new deal.

Ok my thoughts:
Art bell dose not like norry. Art hoped he could get back into. C2C norry instead signed a long term deal with clear channel. Art feeling slighted got surius to sign him. Once on art used his new show to bash C2C at every opertunity.norry never responded to the drama instead he took the high road.twice norry congagulated bell on the air.then went on his way.bell saw his attacks were having little effect on C2C.he begain to have problems.. his back..70 mile an hour winds..satite outages.then he decide to give up..and so art looked for a sure way to leave.asking surius to change their bussness model would give him the out.art wanted his pound of flesh..and did not get it so..he walked..my opionion on what really went down.

FROM THE SIRIUSXM WEBSITE

We are sorry that Dark Matter on SiriusXM has come to an abrupt end. We'll examine our options and may be able to return in a different format and medium.

We have already identified many ways to bring a LIVE stream to you, it's now just a contractual issue. Stay tuned...

In the mean time, ArtBell.com will still operate as long as financially possible, hoping for a workable solution to bring Art back to you, soon. Keep checking back here often.

updated:
We are sorry that Dark Matter on SiriusXM has come to an abrupt end. We are examining our options and may be able to return in a different format and medium.
We have already identified many ways to bring a LIVE stream to you, it's now just a contractual issue. We're hoping to get Art released from SiriusXM contract so he can come back on Internet LIVE Streaming. We already have the technology in place, just waiting for the lawyers.
In the mean time, ArtBell.com will still operate as long as financially possible, hoping for a workable solution to bring Art back to you, soon. Keep checking back here often.
Good luck getting out of that contract art...

I am a Sirius XM Subscriber and when i tried to listen to the re-runs of Art bell's short lived show much to my surprise..... Coast to Coast AM was on. Not sure what is going on but i bet Art isn't happy

more drama!
from arts restored FB..'
Hi,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Free Art Bell from non-compete with Sirius XM satellite radio"
link removed by vesvehighfolk

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time.

Thanks
Arts response;
You all will never know how much I feel for you for what you are doing in trying to support me
but I am going to ask you to stop. This will only make matters worse.

Here is the bottom line, this is a job I took only because of my love of Radio, not for the money,
heck 75K is not ever going to make me rich and if Sirius does not want me they sure will not take
me because their Web Site is messed... up, it will most likely just piss them off. That does not change
the love I fell for all of you for trying.

I still feel I was right in my decision to halt what I felt had no real way forward and would make the
same decision again today, I only took that decision after receiving a no to any further remedy.

Truly I do not understand why they would say no to me wanting a way to stream, then turn around and
replace me with Coast which is doing exactly what I wanted to do, maybe they we just pissed. Either way
thank you for what you are trying to to, I love you all, but please stop.

Art
soo Art after quiting was replaced by coast.. how much more drama can we take folks?

Facebook

Last edited:
Back