• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Closed Threads

P

pixelsmith

Why do some moderators let emotions get the best of them and then close threads they simply disagree with? :confused:

Most of the mods here do a darn good job. They let people discuss and rarely even get into the middle of a disagreement. If they do, they give a warning that further abuse will get that particular thread closed and/or someone banned. Thank You to Chris, Don, Ron and Gene for allowing free speech and not getting emotionally attached to a topic.

Ron's comment after the thread was closed says: Pixel, I think you are wrong. It has been shown that this is a term used by many of the 9/11 Truth Movement folks. In fact their website (Original 9/11 Truther Cyberzine Site and 911 Truther Cyberzine) is a testament to that. Just because you do not personally like the term does not mean Angelo is a troll. If you have beef with the term take it up with the folks that created it. In the internet world the term "troll" is reserved for assholes that flood threads with non-relevant things. It is a dirty word reserved for dirty actions. It is in NO WAY applicable here. I have no problem if you want to remind Angelo that you don't like the term and suggest he and others use an alternative. BUT, in the end it is a valid term used by people that are sincerely dedicated to bringing attention to the anomolous aspects of that days horror. I don't see Angelo's usage of the term as being anything other than descriptive.

I wear the term Truther proudly, but Angel uses it in a derogatory manner. Your last post is what I like and respect about you Ron, you state what is on your mind and why. Angel, Paul and David just make a final stab, close the thread and run.

I thought it was fine to close the thread - it was going nowhere and it was more of a precautionary measure to not get anyone in trouble. I see that doing so hurt your feelings and made you call me out as the only moderator here not doing a good job. I'm sorry you feel that way. I think I'm doing a decent job apart from the fact that I don't agree with your thoughts on who was responsable for 9/11.

YOU thought, no one else who was participating did. you would have to try harder than that to hurt my feelings, i have very thick skin. No, IMO you are not doing a good job. A good mod stays out of conflict and MODERATES, you are like david, you dictate, then close a thread with no more discussion. You will go down in flames as a mod one day by participating in the forum the way you do.

I do very much enjoy you as a regular member tho.

I don't have a problem with Angel as a poster or a mod. Seems like a nice guy. We don't agree on a lot, but that doesn't make him or me a "bad" guy. Now I do have a problem that he brought up the 9/11 topic himself after clearly choosing not to engage me in a debate about it when I put forth reasonable, lucid replies in the few threads that came up about the topic. I am not even trying to be a jerk about this, but everyone here saw my replies in that thread and the people who just used insults and ad-hominem attacks didn't even attempt to "debunk" me or engage in any civilized discussion on the topic. That is fine too, as it is their choice. I just think that means it looks pretty weak to bring it up yourself, mocking people, when you wouldn't have a rational debate with someone on that very topic.

Both Angelo and myself started out as posters. If being a moderator meant that I could no longer voice my opinion, I would stop being a moderator. I think Angelo is the same way. He has opinions that are contrary to many here. Thats OK, I think we need the skeptical point of view here. For the record, Angelo does a lot of Mod stuff you don't see. He is a relentless spam killer and he has always asked me to look over threads he is involved in. As I do with him. I do not see him as a guy that just willy nilly closes threads for the purpose of silencing the dissenting view. I have been accused of this as well. In fact more times than Angelo has. I think every Moderator rubs someone wrong. I think he is doing a fine job and I can attest to he time and effort he puts into this.

Hey Cotton,
Sorry I didn't reply to your posts - as you can see the 9/11 stuff gets me into trouble and I may have been in the frame of mind of where I didn't want to get into it. I know we disagree on what went on that day. The evidence I've seen points to it being a catastrophic attack on your country by a terrorist group, with the initial attack using hijacked planes bringing down the Twin Towers and later on WTC 7. I know that pixel thinks I am ignorant and I don't want to look into it, but I have looked into it because of what people have said int this forum, including you and pixelsmith. Everything I have seen supports the accepted theory of what went on that day. Is that theory wrong? It doesn't seem so to me and many others, but the fact that a lot of people believe in something doesn't mean it's true.
Unless there's some sort of revelation with some new evidence that it was not an attack by terrorists, I'm not going to change my mind about it.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Both Angelo and myself stated out as posters. If being a moderator meant that I could no longer voice my opinion, I would stop being a moderator. I think Angelo is the same way. He has opinions that are contrary to many here. Thats OK, I think we need the skeptical point of view here. For the record, Angelo does a lot of Mod stuff you don't see. He is a relentless spam killer and he has always asked me to look over threads he is involved in. As I do with him. I do not see him as a guy that just willy nilly closes threads for the purpose of silencing the dissenting view. I have been accused of this as well. In fact more times than Angelo has. I think every Moderator rubs someone wrong. I think he is doing a fine job and I can attest to he time and effort he puts into this.

Thanks Ron. I appreciate that.
I'm trying my best :)

That's cool, Ron. I mod for the site I have in my sig, so I understand the behind the scenes stuff in those regards. None of my comments go towards that. I even felt regretful that Paul resigned as a mod here after my comments about when Pixel was banned. I am not, what you would call, a trouble maker in those regards. I respect the concept of keeping a forum like this clean.

What I am is very opinionated (which doesn't translate into me always being RIGHT, but I do my homework on subjects I take interest in way more then others IMO). I also take pride in the topics that I really take interest in that I am informed on them. I am very informed on the 9/11 topic that keeps coming up on here, usually with an end result of it being locked. It's very frustrating.

I am a huge MMA fan and I can relate it to that sport. When Angel goes on about that topic in the manner he does and then makes a thread like that it is no different then when one fighter talks shit in the media saying he is going to KO some guy and as soon as the fight starts he shoots for a takedown instead. If you are not going to stand and trade, then don't talk shit that you will. That would translate to if you are not going to debate the topic with someone in a reasonable manner then you shouldn't make threads making fun of people on that exact subject. It's very disingenuous IMO. I would not have locked that exact thread because I think if Angel can give it to people on that subject, then he should be able to take it too when others want to respond to him.

What is fair is fair.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

I'm not going to change my mind about it.

That does not seem like a comment someone who is very open about being a skeptic would make. Infact, that is a comment that someone who is a hardcore "believer" would make. Is that not at all concerning to you?

That does not seem like a comment someone who is very open about being a skeptic would make. Infact, that is a comment that someone who is a hardcore "believer" would make. Is that not at all concerning to you?

You're misquoting me, which is unfair. As a skeptic, I pride myself in that if undeniable proof comes up, I will gladly change my mind. You need to use the full quote, which is:
Unless there's some sort of revelation with some new evidence that it was not an attack by terrorists, I'm not going to change my mind about it.

So if there is evidence that shows me that the government planned it, used explosives to make the towers drop, used a missile on the Pentagon, etc. So, if your going to comment on what I say, please use the full quote, okay?

Thanks.

Let me say that I agree about certain mods closing threads. I was out on a limb not to long ago becasuse i couldn't beleive how a pack mentality was developing just because somebody went against the grain of the "group think" Not because I "agreed" with that person but because he was bold enough to state what he thought and he more than held his own. The first "skeptical" reply started with "goddamn" and went downhill from there . But the very "progressive" mod (no not Angel) :pwas ready to ban and pronounce "troll" because the dude didn't give "links." Actually, he did but didn't on the "first" point. But ya could google it (I did) and I didn't agree with him. Still, I am an American and although "we" have been bashed (at times rightly so and at times wrongly) for our excessess we do stand up for free speech and alternative points of view. I always will.

As for Angel. I have found him to be courtesous and when he has "jumped" to conclusions about something I've said he has been willing to discuss it in a pm and I think we have come to a mutal "cyber" respect. He does at times get sensetive about my "alledged" bashing of atheism so once in a while I like to "tweek" him on it. ;) Hey Angel, Atheist are stupid man! :) Just kidding...I kid the atheist. But, seriously unless somebody is cursing someone out or spreading false rumors with names and addresses or constantly spamming then I don't think any thread should be closed. Just my two cents. :)

That whole "thread nazi" thing is pretty lame.

If you are talking about the qigong thread you can blame me for lobbying to get it closed. I don't think I'm the only one who did so.

There are numerous qigong forums on the web where it is discussed and promoted for anyone that is really interested in Chinese folk religion healing practices.

That whole "thread nazi" thing is pretty lame.

If you are talking about the qigong thread you can blame me for lobbying to get it closed. I don't think I'm the only one who did so.

There are numerous qigong forums on the web where it is discussed and promoted for anyone that is really interested in Chinese folk religion healing practices.

Why not close down the whole forum then... Paranormal and UFO events cannot be explained any more than qigong.

I think its because some people want to talk about paranormal subjects without promoting harmful bullshit that isn't in the best interest of anyone.

harmful bullshit? chiropractic methods, acupuncture and acupressure fell into that category at one time too, now Mayo endorses them all.

BTW- I looked up Dr. Nisha Manek and find she is a physician/consultant in Rheumatology and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Mayo Medical School.

I hate it when the forum nazis close a topic. wtf?!
Did you just compare me to a nazi? You had better read some history and understand what that implies. Just so we are clear there is no comparing the closing of a bad thread to the atrocities perpetuated by the nazi regime. You ignorant ass.

Did you just compare me to a nazi? You had better read some history and understand what that implies. Just so we are clear there is no comparing the closing of a bad thread to the atrocities perpetuated by the nazi regime. You ignorant ass.

Relax.. it is a play off the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" skit...

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

I dug into who this Dr. Nisha Manek is and she is still employed at Mayo Clinic. I have her contact information and was considering getting her point of view on qigong to post in the related thread that is now closed.

Pixelsmith, why is it that anytime a moderator closes a thread you call them a nazi? We have a set of rules we follow, and if we see it fit to close a thread, we do so. Move on.

Besides we can also close a thread for no reason at all, other than that it's run its course.

Aren't there more important things in life to dwell on?

Besides we can also close a thread for no reason at all, other than that it's run its course.

Aren't there more important things in life to dwell on?

like ETs UFOs and ghosts? lol.... thats why we are here.

Gene it is your house, you can do anything you want, I felt that topic was just getting started and it closed instead.

Back