• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Bill Cooper-Are you F***ing Kidding???

Jeeze ... some stuff NEVER dies a natural death with the Net, ya know? Who would've believed this Cooper trash would re-surface ... again. Kind of like Paul Kimball or my vampires ... they just simply refuse to stay dead ...

With that in mind here is ... again ... Billy Cox's take on this sordid little drama ...

Rants from oblivion De Void - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL - Archive

Rants from Oblivion by Billy Cox

November 25th, 2009 11:57am
Rants from oblivion

by Billy Cox

Nothing, no matter how toxic or discredited, ever dies in the eternal limbo of the Internet. But after hearing a recent podcast lionizing Bill Cooper as the noble martyr who sewed “the seed beds for the patriot movement,” Don Ecker figured it was time for a history lesson. “I’m shocked that people don’t know what a maniac this guy was,” Ecker says from his home outside Los Angeles. “The guy was absolutely out of his mind.”

Combustible, paranoid, grandiose and delusional, Cooper’s ravings continue to attract admirers, and you can still find his One World Order conspiracy rant — “Behold a Pale Horse” — on chain-store bookshelves. At the end, when he wasn’t waving guns at neighbors outside his hilltop ranch near rural Eagar, Ariz., Cooper was spewing apocalyptic confabulism from a show called “The Hour of the Time” ( Which by the way I called THE HOUR OF THE SLIME-DE) via the Worldwide Christian Radio network in Nashville.

Cooper was wanted for tax evasion and bank fraud at the time of his attempted arrest on 11/5/01. An exchange of gunfire left him dead and a sheriff’s deputy critically wounded. In another time, another age, that might’ve been all she wrote.

Talk radio first placed Cooper’s riffs before mass audiences in the late Eighties, when the Navy veteran uncorked insider tales of UFOs and military intelligence. But with each passing year, his conspiracy yarns ballooned by orders of magnitude, careening from JFK’s assassination at the hands of his limo driver to world domination by the insidious Illuminati. Ultimately, he began accusing UFO researchers who questioned his veracity of being CIA stooges.

Among the first to challenge him was Don Ecker, then investigative director of UFO Magazine. Ecker, who calls Cooper’s book “Behold a Pail of Horse*&#!,” (Actually what I said to Billy was Behold a Pail of HorseShit) exposed Cooper’s lies in a two-part series way back in 1990. Between the Bill Coopers of the world and a mainstream media that wouldn’t follow a legitimate trail of UFO evidence if was wrapped in thousand-dollar bills and served with Dove bars, Ecker tired of spinning his wheels and left UFOlogy research in 2007.

Gone but not forgotten -- the late Bill Cooper continues to broadcast from cyberspace

Among the things Ecker left behind was a decade’s worth of his own radio shows, called “Dark Matters.” Lately, he’s been uploading these archives on The Paracast network, and they’re worth a listen. His BS meter tingling with the skepticism of the police detective he once was, Ecker tested his lines of logic and research on some of the biggest names in the UFO subculture. The results are instructive and often quite entertaining.

Anyway — after being sufficiently aggravated by the persistent afterlife of the Bill Cooper phenomenon, Ecker assembled a two-hour show restoring some proportion. It’s all here, Cooper in his own words, the bullying, the contradictions, the threatening, drunken voice messages resembling the howl of a wounded lycanthrope.

And it remains, unfortunately, relevant. Because, as the Arizona Republic reported in 2001, at least one avid fan of “The Hour of Time” was so impressed he apparently visited Cooper in early 1995. All it takes is one. His name was Timothy McVeigh.

I really enjoyed this episode. I've always liked stories from guys who have been involved a long time spilling the dirt on what happens behind the scenes in ufology. Was a history lesson in some ways. Would love to hear more shows like this one.

I recently purchased the book, 'Nothing in This Book Is True, But It's Exactly How Things Are,' by Bob Frissell. Who does Mr. Frissell quote right from the first pages as being his go-to expert? You guess it, Bill Cooper. Frissell even goes on to say that he dismisses what Stanton Friedman tells him about Bill Cooper. I guess you could say that there are fools out there who want to believe and they will not listen when someone tells them the truth.

Talking about Cooper to some is almost like bringing up politics at a party. A losing proposition. If someone asks me about my take these days on Cooper I simply point them to my show, end of story. If they refuse to listen to it ... so be it. I did my part.

Decker

I have to admit the view I had of Bill Cooper coming out of Mr. Eckers program was different then when I came in. I never would have imagined Bill as a drunk diling, wife beating, tire slasher before tonight. To me listening to his anger and screams during those calls made him a much more down to earth figure. What I was hearing was not the anger of greed but the anger that comes when the weight of the world is on your shoulders.

I do believe someone's personal moral failings should not interfere with the message. I could care less about his UFO stuff, it's the new world order viewpoint that I am impressed with. If I recall correctly he predicted a 911 type event a month before it happened as well as who they would blame. Bill Clinton also called him the most dangerous man in America at one point. Quite an accomplishment for a drunk loser.

I also read "behold a pale horse" and share my wifes opinion. But was there anything to the "congingany 3" stuff he spent 1/4th of the book talking about?

If I recall correctly he predicted a 911 type event a month before it happened as well as who they would blame. Bill Clinton also called him the most dangerous man in America at one point. Quite an accomplishment for a drunk loser.
It's easy to be a pessimist. No one hates you when you're wrong.

Anyone that followed what Clinton did about Bin Laden was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Blind squirrels and all...

Back