• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Where did all the skeptics go?

Free episodes:

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Where did all the skeptics go?
by Billy Cox
ARTICLE HERE:

John Alexander’s UFOs: Myths, Conspiracies and Realities rolled off the presses last month at about the same time the democracy asteroid slammed North Africa. Which was followed by Japan’s quake/tsunami/nuke trifecta. Meaning any attention Alexander’s book might’ve swung his way was pretty much shot.

And that’s too bad, because like Leslie Kean’s UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record, Alexander’s book established a provocative set of talking points that should make everyone joining this debate a bit more alert, no matter which way they come down on it. Alexander, who held security clearances in both military and civilian sectors, chronicled his decades of trying to solve the riddle. And he reported a few things you won’t read in Politico or Congressional Quarterly, like about how former congressman Tom Davis attempted to get the GAO to study the impact of UFOs on air-traffic safety.

But Alexander knew his bottom line would agitate people on all sides of the aisle: UFOs are unequivocally real and undeniable, but no super-secret agency is hoarding any classified information. Not surprisingly, the retired Army colonel has been loudly called out on that second point in many corners, most notably by UFO historian/author Richard Dolan, and Alexander expected that.

What he didn’t expect was a total noise blackout from the so-called skeptics, whom he intentionally baited in UFOs. “There is an underlying primordial issue with most skeptics/debunkers. That is fear,” he wrote. “At risk are the foundations of their belief system. In attending their conventions, you will find that atheism is a quite common theme. The manifestation of those thoughts runs from a simple personal belief to overt hostility toward religion.”

“My goal was to elevate the discussion, to get people involved in this dialogue who are not traditionally involved,” Alexander says from his home in Las Vegas. “I knew the tinfoil hat crowd was going to be upset. But I’ve heard nothing whatsover from the skeptics, and I even mailed a copy of the book to Jim Oberg. What are you supposed to infer from silence?”

At least Oberg made a token effort to trash Kean’s book last August. But none of those other non-traditional voices are joining the discussion Alexander hoped to jump-start, either. For instance, Davis, the Virginia Republican now retired from public office, hasn’t uttered a peep on Alexander’s allegations about his having had a UFO sighting. After all, Dennis Kucinich’s halting confession during a 2007 primary debate invited an almost incoherently rabid media response.

“[Davis] may be interested in returning to office some day,” Alexander says. “If you’re a politician, this is extremely toxic. Part of my effort was to figure out how can we alter the degree of toxicity surrounding this subject. I’ve talked with congressmen who are interested in UFOs, and the first thing I ask them is, can you take a 20-point hit in the polls?

“Politicians will not come on board, despite their belief systems. First of all, you have to have moral courage, and that’s a virtue lacking in all politicians.”

No news peg there.

Where did all the sceptics go? They're all over at lance's house having a big bowl of debunker chili. To be followed by scorn cocktails and topped off with tutti moody fruity ice cream for dessert. After the meal there will be naked twister and pin the tail on the true believer (tin foil hats will be supplied) in his Phil Klass memorial library.
Crikey! No wonder John Alexander hasn't heard from them. :)

Hmm, yeah!! The image of you and Jim Oberg getting all tied up and funky with the naked twister is right up there with the image of Greer cradling his alien baby but without the funk. I hope you took it easy with Jimi Randi.

Sounds like you got a hangover, Angelo. Are you sure you weren't there? Doing shots and vodka jellies with Michael Shermer? Or were you in the kitchen playing strip poker with Joe Nickel and the skepchick while Lance prepared
cups of herbal tea without the saucers. (There are no saucers in Lances kitchen!).

I couldn't make it to the party. I was busy getting my palm read.

Oh, and the "no saucers in Lance's kitchen" is genuinely one of the funniest things I have ever read on this forum. Merci beaucoup Prof. Deane.

If anyone is actually interested in discussing the topic instead of flirting with each other, here is the Amazon link to Alexanders book. Scroll down and read the reviews, especially the one star ones:

Alexander as a government stooge or mouthpiece? Interesting in a way I guess, anyway read the reviews, see what you think.

I can only imagine you dragging your mother in law in, for a reading, by her tongue. Lucky it's the tongue it's named after and not some other appendage.You realise that the Mother-in-laws-tongue is a plant? Of course you do!

Which gives graphic new meaning to the phrase "Cross the gypsys palm with saliva...." or is that silver i always get that mixed up
You wouldnt believe how often ive been run out of a gypsy camp on the end of a pitchfork :)

I just finished reading UFO's; Myths, Conspiracies and Realities written by my friend john B. Alexander, PhD (Physics).
While he lectures us for almost 300 pages about 'facts' and 'evidence' he constantly refers to the world wide NASA hoax known as the Apollo Missions as proof ET's do not exist on the Earth or Moon.
For somebody who was a Green Beret, has a PhD in Physics and is fairly knowledgeable about the field of UFO's it is beyond the imagination that he would base his claim that ET's don't exist on Earth or the Moon with statements by the Apollo mission astronauts. Of course the astronauts didn't see any ET's...they never went to the moon!
Anybody with the a computer and imaging program can figure that out.
John, while continuing to lecture us about the government not being able to keep a secret doesn't even address the 911 Fiasco which to this day has not been unraveled except for the fact that it was certainly conceived, planned and carried out by a small cabal within our government.
He dismisses almost every single UFO case with, "What scientists describe is well beyond anything I am aware of at this time or simply 'that is not the case'. I am not kidding. He really says this.
And concludes his painful diatribe with, "Based on credible witnesses and backed by physical evidence, I conclude that the UFO observations are manifestation of issues that are anfractuous and beyond current comprehension." I had to look up 'anfractuous' and it means 'with twists and turns, tortuous."
Phil Klass left us with this message "No matter how long you live, you will never know any more about UFOs than you know today".
John Alexander, Ph.D. is the new Phil Klass.
John Lear

What can i say :) the Devil made me do it ........

Still john sounds pretty skeptical to me

If anyone is actually interested in discussing the topic instead of flirting with each other, here is the Amazon link to Alexanders book. Scroll down and read the reviews, especially the one star ones:

Alexander as a government stooge or mouthpiece? Interesting in a way I guess, anyway read the reviews, see what you think.
As far as book reviews go it rated on average, 3 stars. I suppose that means in the minds of those who have reviewed it there it is an average read. Apart from the 4 negative reviews the breakdown is as follows:

21 Reviews
5 star: (7)
4 star: (2)
3 star: (4)
2 star: (4)
1 star: (4)
So 7 people gave it top marks. one of those being Dean Radin.
I think what Chris was getting at was that your usual suspects, debunker wise, haven't as yet chimed in, which is somewhat unusual. It maybe that they are still reading it or haven't gotten round to reading it yet.
Personally I am quivering in anticipation, waiting for their enlightening critique.

din.
I think what Chris was getting at was that your usual suspects, debunker wise, haven't as yet chimed in, which is somewhat unusual. It maybe that they are still reading it or haven't gotten round to reading it yet.
Don't hold your breathe--I've noticed that some debunkers around here prefer to take the easy road--attacking people is far easier than actually knuckling down and doing the heavy lifting, i.e., reading, researching, conducting actual investigations and communicating their findings to others. It is SO much easier to stoop to smarmy asides and holier-than-thou conveniently-selective criticisms while attacking those who actually get out and do the work.

Hey Chris,
Maybe they are blowing their own horns? and the skeptics are part and parcel of this serious and "wacky world" of the paranormal:)
You have to give credit to the skeptics:) majority of them would rather not be seen mixing with paranormal croud:) unless they like the subject!:)

I can only imagine you dragging your mother in law in, for a reading, by her tongue. Lucky it's the tongue it's named after and not some other appendage.You realise that the Mother-in-laws-tongue is a plant? Of course you do!

I had no idea that was a plant. I thought you meant it literally, which I thought was sort of strange. I'm not into the readings, so I didn't know.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Chris, it's not about taking the easy road. Having heard the author on the show, he makes a lot of sense. There's nothing to debunk when the person doesn't make grandiose statements.
That said, I haven't read the book, so I'm only commenting on what I've heard on the Paracast. To me it sounds like he would not make ridiculous unfounded claims that could easily be debunked, like some other authors that write about the paranormal.

Ya know I'm not skeptic or a debunker (Lord knows some on here more than likely would call me a space cadet and others a heretic) :) But, I just don't buy the spacemen/women visiting from another planet. I'll have to continue to be the Doubting Thomas until I can actually run my hands along the sides of the saucer and shake hands with the aliens. :)

Back