• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What's your favorite 1950's sci-fi movie?

I'm not sure of the names but I loved every giant monster movie- giant praying Mantis, giant ants, giant spiders, godzilla and his pals. Loved watching cities get wrecked by giant weirdos.

I think "Creature from the Black Lagoon" was/is one of the best monster designs out there. For it's time it looked so real, still looks good today. Can't say that about many 50's effects.

I think "Creature from the Black Lagoon" was/is one of the best monster designs out there. For it's time it looked so real, still looks good today. Can't say that about many 50's effects.
A lot of people remember this (including me); sometime in the 80's they promoted a 3D version of Creature From The Black Lagoon on network television. You had to go to 7-11 to obtain your 3D glasses. I remember sitting on our couch watching it as a kid. Somehow 7-11 was tied into the promotion so that's why you had to go there to get the glasses.

"The Thing" definitely makes the top 5 picks.

More favorites:

-"Them", 1954
-"The Brain From Planet Arous", 1957
-"It Came From Outer Space" , 1953"

Only problem with "The Day The Earth Stood Still" is that it was almost too well done to make the "so bad it's good" cut. A hallmark of these great old flicks is the faux nighttime scene shot during the day with some kind of darkening filter. I love 'em.

BTW, I also love Rex Reason and Jeff Morrow. I am compelled to watch any movie that either or both of them are in. Next up for me is "The Creature Walks Among Us" - which has both of them in it. Just searching for a working link that allows me to watch the movie in full.

Martin Landau won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his portrayal as Bela Lugosi. But he sounded too "Jewish" to effectively imitate Lugosi, whose deep accent was world famous.
I liked Landau. I also liked to muse sometimes about what would happen if the Galactica encountered our rouge Moon ( Space 1999 ).

splash_780.jpg
B9317351700Z.1_20150514150228_000_G38ANVQ0M.1-0.jpg

Back