• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What's your favorite 1950's sci-fi movie?

Creepy Green Light

Paranormal Adept
I know there are a lot of great choices, but I especially like This Island Earth. That and War Of The Worlds. Love those two amongst many others. What about you?

I remember seeing 'Invaders from Mars' as a kid (the 1953 version.) It scared the crap out of me.
My favorite part of I.F.M. when I was little (and still is) is seeing the UFO set down behind the hill and the boy watching from his bedroom. That combined with it being a storm out - and the fence going up the hill and over the horizon. All of that combined made the hair on my neck stand up :)

Eh, not so much. I watched it about a month ago. It doesn't do a lot for me. I recognize it's a great film but not one of my favorites.
Well, it certainly has 1950's sensibilities, which may make it seem dated, not to mention being in black and white. But the remake with Keanu Reeves was perfectly awful. Then again, I find the highly-acclaimed "Forbidden Planet," despite its innovative special effects and clever plotting — it clearly influenced "Star Trek — to also be somewhat old fashioned.

My favorite part of I.F.M. when I was little (and still is) is seeing the UFO set down behind the hill and the boy watching from his bedroom. That combined with it being a storm out - and the fence going up the hill and over the horizon. All of that combined made the hair on my neck stand up :)
The part that got to me was the various residents getting sucked down into the sand pile/quicksand. I didn't go near any sand for awhile.

This is ahead of my time, also a terrible movie, but..
220px-Haverocketposter.jpeg

I thought it a better pick than Creature from the Black Lagoon.:D

What did you think of the 1978 remake with Leonard Nimoy?

Best about it was Brooke Adams in her birthday suit and the "Dogman"

Actually I thought for a late 70s movie it captured the paranoia of the cold war 50s better than the original movie...mood and atmosphere wise, what with the shadows and people scurrying about on the prowl.

Martin Landau won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his portrayal as Bela Lugosi. But he sounded too "Jewish" to effectively imitate Lugosi, whose deep accent was world famous.

Back