• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What Kind of Car Do You Drive?

The best time to purchase vehicles from dealerships, new or from their used lots, is at the end of the month. They all have to make quotas at the end of the month for bonuses and they will cut great deals in those last two days.

For a super roller coaster ride regarding car sales check this out, widly hilarious:

129 Cars | This American Life

Last edited:
Acura RDX turbo. I love it, but it's going to be getting some well earned rest for a few years as my family and I are moving to Switzerland in about three weeks and we're not shipping our vehicles.

So are you selling the cars or what? Doesn't seem to make much sense keeping them unless you take proper measures for long-term storage.

If you have 200K on your radar, Honda is one of the best ways to get there.

It will get there and more before we replace it.
We really need a bigger car but the little Honda is fun to drive even if it is front wheel drive oh and we got it in 2001 so most of the miles are from us.

I had one of these up until four years ago.

nissan-silvia-q-coupe-view-download-wallpaper-640x480-comments_89f4b.jpg

Not my one but that is very close to it. Nissan Silvia s14

Got stolen and wreaked, did not replace it as it was hell expensive to maintain anyway.

One of my favorite cars was the 1972 Mazda RX-2, with the Wankel/Rotary engine. Poor gas economy (about what you'd get with a V6), but lots of power for the size. By 60,000 or 70,000 miles, the clutch master cylinder was shot, and the engine needed seals, which meant an engine overhaul. But I was able to induce it to take the final trip to the dealer in trading for a new car. Talk about cliffhangers. Dealer wondered how I got it there with a broken clutch. Ha.

But I'd sorta like to have a restored one as a second car if I had the cash, just for the hell of it.

So are you selling the cars or what? Doesn't seem to make much sense keeping them unless you take proper measures for long-term storage.

We're selling one of the cars, the Acura will be staying at my wife's parents'. It'll be safe from the elements and it will driven a little on a regular basis and have all the usual maintenance performed if/when needed.

One of my favorite cars was the 1972 Mazda RX-2, with the Wankel/Rotary engine. Poor gas economy (about what you'd get with a V6), but lots of power for the size. By 60,000 or 70,000 miles, the clutch master cylinder was shot, and the engine needed seals, which meant an engine overhaul. But I was able to induce it to take the final trip to the dealer in trading for a new car. Talk about cliffhangers. Dealer wondered how I got it there with a broken clutch. Ha.

But I'd sorta like to have a restored one as a second car if I had the cash, just for the hell of it.

hahaha EPIC!

Looks the same as the one I posted as I don't have a photo handy.. but yes it is in the same condition.
Just had a new Cam belt, transmission job and break pads etc.... so new car more or less.

Oh and yes my wallet is empty after that damn it.. cars cost far to much.

can you think of any other commodity that diminshes in value...with a few exceptions...yet you constanty PUT money into it and unless you're rich, pay more than you should in the first place because you have to finance it ?

At this instant, my housemate and I have been sharing his 2001 Infinity QX4 SUV. In the near future, I'll be getting another car, which will doubtless be an AWD or 4WD as long as I'm at 8800 feet (2682 meters) in the Colorado Rockies. Subaru is enormously popular here in Colorado, so I've been looking at later model Subaru Foresters. Still, I've been a bit underwhelmed with Subaru. I've also been paying more attention to certain Suzuki models, especially as Suzuki North America has gone bankrupt and later model Suzuki AWDs have been selling for a song. A Suzuki Kizashi AWD came up for sale very recently for only about $15K. I could kick myself into next week for not having jumped on it when it was available. It probably would have been the perfect car.

The other part of the equation is that I'm aiming to move off the mountain as soon as I'm able. I'm increasingly needing to spend time down in Denver, but I also have a mother who just moved to Oregon and who is using Off the Richter Scale Guilt Trips to encourage me to move out there as well. I was actually wanting to move back to New Mexico, but this may not be an option at this time. When I move off the mountain, wherever I land, I won't really need an AWD/4WD vehicle. (Right now I'm entirely snowed-in, but lower elevations aren't anywhere near as bad - which is usually the case.) I spent a previous incarnation as an Internet Sales Manager for two different VW dealerships, so I know first hand that Jetta and Passat TDI models are extremely reliable and get excellent mileage. I truly loved my Jetta. It therefore might make more sense for me to wait until after the move before I get my next car, except that it's hard sharing the housemate's car. I rented a Hyundai Accent for a couple of weeks, which had a definite "wheee" factor but couldn't manage in a snowy driveway. It still did well for putzing around in Denver.

Had a 2004 Passat V6 GLX. Built on the same platform as the Audi A4, so it was a fancy ride. Had real wood dashboard trim. But it needed engine mounts at 45K. I don't call that reliable.

I'm truly sorry you had a bad experience with a VW. I regularly saw older TDIs come in with over 500K miles, which were being given to the client's kids as they got newer and fancier TDIs for themselves. I don't know what your warranty was like, but I would have thought it would have been covered under most circumstances. VW, as well as many individual dealerships, offers some excellent warranties and tends to stand by their cars. When VW advertises that it has the most cars on the road with over 100,000 miles, there's a reason behind that statement. Some of this will be due to all of the old Beetles which we still see almost daily, but there's also no shortage of 10-20+ year-old VWs which are packing on the miles. The TDIs will be the best example of this, but I know I've seen many regular VWs dating to the 90s and beyond which are still fairly reliable. I should also add, when TDIs have problems, it's almost always related to the type of fuel that's being used. VW will give full warranty to TDIs using up to 5% bio-diesel (B5), though 20% is still considered quite safe and readily used. Pure bio-diesel really shouldn't be used, and can almost never be used successfully (at least in newer cars) unless the car has gone through some serious modifications. People have wrecked their TDIs by trying to run in on leftover cooking oils, or anything else they consider to be pure bio-diesel. This will void the warranty.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a Volkswagen. My personal complaint against them is how they cheapened the interiors of the newer Jettas, in order to lower the price for the bad economy. For this reason, you'll see Jettas from the previous incarnation (roughly 2005-2010), which often have higher resale values than newer Jettas with similar mileage. Still, when I worked for VW, fully one-third of our clients were repeat or referral. On my end as the Internet manager, almost half of my clients were repeat or referral. While certain brands of cars have high loyalty, (such as, the Ford F150's clients tend to stick with that one make and model), VW's loyalty seems to extend across the spectrum. I'd also say that the TDI models will probably be among the most reliable cars on the road.

I'm truly sorry you had a bad experience with a VW. I regularly saw older TDIs come in with over 500K miles, which were being given to the client's kids as they got newer and fancier TDIs for themselves. I don't know what your warranty was like, but I would have thought it would have been covered under most circumstances. VW, as well as many individual dealerships, offers some excellent warranties and tends to stand by their cars. When VW advertises that it has the most cars on the road with over 100,000 miles, there's a reason behind that statement. Some of this will be due to all of the old Beetles which we still see almost daily, but there's also no shortage of 10-20+ year-old VWs which are packing on the miles. The TDIs will be the best example of this, but I know I've seen many regular VWs dating to the 90s and beyond which are still fairly reliable. I should also add, when TDIs have problems, it's almost always related to the type of fuel that's being used. VW will give full warranty to TDIs using up to 5% bio-diesel (B5), though 20% is still considered quite safe and readily used. Pure bio-diesel really shouldn't be used, and can almost never be used successfully (at least in newer cars) unless the car has gone through some serious modifications. People have wrecked their TDIs by trying to run in on leftover cooking oils, or anything else they consider to be pure bio-diesel. This will void the warranty.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a Volkswagen. My personal complaint against them is how they cheapened the interiors of the newer Jettas, in order to lower the price for the bad economy. For this reason, you'll see Jettas from the previous incarnation (roughly 2005-2010), which often have higher resale values than newer Jettas with similar mileage. Still, when I worked for VW, fully one-third of our clients were repeat or referral. On my end as the Internet manager, almost half of my clients were repeat or referral. While certain brands of cars have high loyalty, (such as, the Ford F150's clients tend to stick with that one make and model), VW's loyalty seems to extend across the spectrum. I'd also say that the TDI models will probably be among the most reliable cars on the road.
The dealer tried to argue it was a maintenance item. Remember this was a V6, not a TDI.

This was VW North Scottsdale. Slime was their middle name.

While I love TDIs, I drove (and owned) regular Jettas and Passats as well, all of which were very reliable. My last Jetta was a Jetta Value Edition, in-line 5 Cylinder. I'm sickened that your dealership treated you badly, to the point I could almost go down there and kick a little booty. I can honestly say both the dealerships for which I worked made the lists for being the best dealerships in and around Denver. I can also say that the *only* reason I'm not still driving that Jetta is because it just wasn't designed for the insane snows we get up here. Had I stayed off the mountain, I'm sure I'd still own that car.

On a slightly different note, I traded in the Jetta for an Oldsmobile Bravada, getting one of the last ones they made a couple of years after it had rolled off the assembly line. It was an extremely good snow car, comparing favorably to my friend's more expensive Infinity QX4. Some Olds models were truly great and I wish a few were still being made.

I spent a previous incarnation as an Internet Sales Manager for two different VW dealerships, so I know first hand that Jetta and Passat TDI models are extremely reliable and get excellent mileage. I truly loved my Jetta. It therefore might make more sense for me to wait until after the move before I get my next car, except that it's hard sharing the housemate's car. I rented a Hyundai Accent for a couple of weeks, which had a definite "wheee" factor but couldn't manage in a snowy driveway. It still did well for putzing around in Denver.

I have had Toyota Corollas - two new ones over the years - and once a Rav. Have always loved the Corolla - perfect for me in terms of size, and gas mileage - I've been able to get 40 m.p.h routinely - but I am now looking for a new car and as always find myself drawn to the look and engineering of the VW (the Bug convertibles - and the Eos have been what I have been eying). I am always stopped dead because I always hear that they cost a lot of money to maintain. The Corollas just need oil put in regularly. My current car is tipping over 160,000 miles and I have done nothing but change the oil - and runs like a top. What do you think of the Eos and the bug convertible? Reliable?

I have had Toyota Corollas - two new ones over the years - and once a Rav. Have always loved the Corolla - perfect for me in terms of size, and gas mileage - I've been able to get 40 m.p.h routinely - but I am now looking for a new car and as always find myself drawn to the look and engineering of the VW (the Bug convertibles - and the Eos have been what I have been eying). I am always stopped dead because I always hear that they cost a lot of money to maintain. The Corollas just need oil put in regularly. My current car is tipping over 160,000 miles and I have done nothing but change the oil - and runs like a top. What do you think of the Eos and the bug convertible? Reliable?

I never personally sold an Eos (though I haven't worked for VW in a few years, now), which is surprising as I sold any number of Beetle convertibles in all makes and packages. Eos was still pretty new when I left automotive and moved to other horizons.

Still, having said that and having had some fairly recent conversations with my old co-workers.... The Eos is a little pricey, but it comes with many more standard features compared to other, otherwise comparable convertibles. The fuel economy is decent and I personally like the hard top, especially as a safety-feature. (Another issue about Colorado is that people have been killed in the mountains when falling rocks have crashed through fabric convertible tops....) From what I've heard, it's considered to be a reliable car that has lots of very happy owners. I'd still recommend reading the different automotive forums for the make, model and year of car you want, just to see what everyone is saying. It's still really fun to drive, though I've never owned one nor have a good grasp of how it does on the long term.

At the same time.... I really like the new Beetles. I even really like the previous model Beetles, though I like the newest Beetles even more. Of course, if you haven't noticed, I REALLY REALLY like the new Beetle TDIs. If you can afford one - and you're looking at having the car for several years down the road - a TDI will be an investment.
  • First, you really will be getting 42+ MPGs on the highway, possibly even better if you have it on cruise control.
  • Second, from being required to take all of the VW training when I was an Internet manager, I know that the TDIs are expected to get 250,000+ miles just with routine maintenance. It's not uncommon to see TDIs with 400-500K miles still on the road. In other words, you'll be saving money at the pump while also getting a car that will last you for many, many years.
  • Third, once you drive a TDI, it will be hard to ever go back to another regular gas vehicle. When TDI loyalists talk about these cars, one of the first things they mention is the front-end torque. These cars are meant to get up and go, immediately. It's the car for passing other vehicles on steep and/or high elevations. (You can and should also go onto the TDI forums and read what others are saying.)
  • Fourth, the TDIs have shockingly good resale value. Speaking from personal experience, any new model of TDI which came onto the lot was usually sold within 24 hours. Used TDIs, no matter how young or old, were usually sold *within hours* of their arrival. The only things that might ever sell as quickly were the Eurovans, when they came available, as well as the occasional used Phaeton.
No matter what VW you buy, you're usually getting a reliable car that should last you several years. The regular VW Jetta I sold my husband - while we were preparing for divorce - is still being used and loved by him. There are other cars he sold within months of purchase, so this speaks volumes. Wherever you go, please do your homework and make certain the dealership has a solid reputation. Also, make certain your sales person knows all the ins and outs of whatever vehicle you choose. He/she should answer all of your questions and give you a thorough walk-around. This, as well as complete VW training, was required at my first dealership. Many other dealerships do not require this, which is a disservice to their customers. I've told my own clients that if they ever felt I wasn't thoroughly answering their questions, or if they thought they could get better service by another person, it was OK to ask for someone else or even go to another lot. (I never had a customer walk on me, though a few questions were tough enough that I got people in the service department to educate both of us.)

You can go to VW.com to browse and build the different models, so you can see what all is being offered and at what price. If you're looking at used vehicles, remember that this is where most dealerships make their money and has the most room for negotiating. Some dealerships, whether or not they are VW, also inspect and warranty all of the cars they sell. "Certified Pre-owned" aren't... necessarily... the best deals on the market. What they are supposed to offer, versus what they actually offer, can vary from dealership to dealership. At some places, it's just an excuse to sell a used car for top dollar while only doing the bare minimum of maintenance and inspection. Again, research your dealership.

Hope this helps.

Back