• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What are you reading ?

I've taken a dive into my favorite sub-genre of escapist literature. Barnes and Noble has a small treasure trove of SciFi short stories from the 1950's and later, for Nook at very reasonable prices. The quality of writing varies, from classic authors like PK Dick and Robert Silverberg to lesser known and decidedly less talented pulp hacks from the golden age of sci-fi in print. The best stories are fantastic and the mediocre ones are still pretty good.

Thanks, will have to look into it. I can recommend Fredric Brown, who worked his way from pulps to slicks. Too bad most of his mysteries are forgotten, in favor of his SF. I can recommend any of his "Ed and Am Hunter" books and stories. Unfortunately, too many people know what his books are worth... try finding a copy of "The Office" for less than $75, or even the McMillan reprints from the Eighties, which mostly go for hundreds. But not, alas, onto *my* bookshelf...

Thanks, will have to look into it. I can recommend Fredric Brown, who worked his way from pulps to slicks. Too bad most of his mysteries are forgotten, in favor of his SF. I can recommend any of his "Ed and Am Hunter" books and stories. Unfortunately, too many people know what his books are worth... try finding a copy of "The Office" for less than $75, or even the McMillan reprints from the Eighties, which mostly go for hundreds. But not, alas, onto *my* bookshelf...

Yeah--There are so many fantastic and little known reads 0ut there that are simply so rare as to be non-affordable.

I just received a copy of Jadoo by John Keel, having decided to read it after the good reviews it has had on this forum. Though I've only just started it, I'm thoroughly enjoying what I've read at this point.

I just received a copy of Jadoo by John Keel, having decided to read it after the good reviews it has had on this forum. Though I've only just started it, I'm thoroughly enjoying what I've read at this point.

Yep, Jadoo is EXCELLENT. All Keel is GREAT, but you just gotta read Operation Trojan Horse if you have not already. You will enjoy it. It and Jadoo are my favorites, albeit Strange Creatures From Time and Space ain't too bad either.

Yep, Jadoo is EXCELLENT. All Keel is GREAT, but you just gotta read Operation Trojan Horse if you have not already. You will enjoy it. It and Jadoo are my favorites, albeit Strange Creatures From Time and Space ain't too bad either.

The only other book I've read by John Keel is The Mothman Prophecies. So far, I'm enjoying becoming acquainted with more of his work. I appreciate your recommendation and I'll add Operation Trojan Horse to my list of books to read. Thank you for your suggestion.

I watched the Conjuring and listened to a podcast interview with one of the daughters who lived at the house. The Movie, The Conjuring is based on a true story. I had an interest in knowing more about the Warrens who were involved in this case and in the Amityville case among many others. The Warrens are demonologists with literally thousands of cases under their belt. Actually Ed Warren is no longer with us. I just finished up their book " The Demonologist, the exraordinary career of Ed and Lorraine Warren"". I might back track and read parts of it again. The book has been in print for quite awhile but is a very informative read even today.

The Warrens are Catholic and Ed Warren specifically was accepted by the Catholic church as an exorcist and worked closely with certain priests. Since I'm protestant I look at some of the approaches a little differently. I am glad for both Catholic and Protestant involvement in these areas.

I'm partway though a book my wife had by Marie Monille called " The Light Still Shines" Marie was the wife of the Amish school shooter.

I am currently reading this

"by any means necessary America's secret air war" (its about the U2 spy plane)
0091795117.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_PU_PU-5_.jpg

The only other book I've read by John Keel is The Mothman Prophecies. So far, I'm enjoying becoming acquainted with more of his work. I appreciate your recommendation and I'll add Operation Trojan Horse to my list of books to read. Thank you for your suggestion.
Andy Colvin (I think) has edited some of his magazine articles in a couple of book anthologies for sale of late. Highly recommended for Keelians.

I just got notice that a inter (intra?) office library loan book arrived for me. "Tigger on the couch" you guys can probably guess from the title what the book is about.

Last edited:
Just got out of a year-long Literature/Creative Writing postgrad. course so while a lot of the books I was reading for that were fun (lots of H.G. Wells, The Hobbit, The Princess Bride, and other super-sweet books) it feels good to be reading stuff again without having to take notes!

At the moment I am in the middle of Star Trek & Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant and another Star Trek book called Hollow Men by Una McCormack. And I confess I was part-way through The Hobbit as well, and also On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin that I was reading for my big essay on Wells. Many books to get through!

1871 illustrations for Jules Vernes 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas
Sci-fi book illustrations from the 1800s by Alphonse de Neuville | DesignFaves

Edward Gorey's Illustrations for War of the Worlds:
Edward Gorey’s Vintage Illustrations for H. G. Wells’s The War of the Worlds | Brain Pickings

Illustrations from the 1964 biography of Verne:
Jules Verne: The Man Who Invented the Future | Brain Pickings

And finally, the first unabridged and accurate translation of "Vingt milles lieues sous les mers" by F.P. Walter, who released a public domain online version (1991) - available here:
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas: An Underwater Tour of the World by Verne - Free Ebook

Manly P. Hall The Secret Teachings of All Ages

"Proceeding from this assumption of the first theologians that man is actually fashioned in the image of God, the initiated minds of past ages erected the stupendous structure of theology upon the foundation of the human body. The religious world of today is almost totally ignorant of the fact that the science of biology is the fountainhead of its doctrines and tenets. Many of the codes and laws believed by modern divines to have been direct revelations from Divinity are in reality the fruitage of ages of patient delving into the intricacies of the human constitution and the infinite wonders revealed by such a study."mphall.jpg

I bought Timothy Good's latest book on boxing day sale, and a quick browse looks promising. Good's books tend to be better delivered than his interviews. I'll post more details as I work my through it.

Back