• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

uh oh, this cant be good for the UFO community

a new mockumentary where a guy follows around UFO nuts and bashes them...and it looks funny

Well in reality, there is lot of crazy people who invest lot of there time in this stuff, he just exposing the reality that it is! That short clip made me laugh we need to light up and be willing to laugh about it all.

Absolute genius. I wish I'd thought of it. I guess it is cheaper, legally, to fake a documentary about such a thing rather than going through the suits and counter suits that putting the real fruit and nuts into the mix like Greer, Burisch/Cain/Catselas, Reed/Rutter, Boyland, Icke, Lear, Levengood and so forth would cost.

A "real documentary" doing pretty much the same thing would be more of a tragedy than a comedy I'm afraid. In reality, the exploration of people's credulity by the con-artists and the misguided that plague the subject of UFOs, the Paranormal, and Religion is hardly a laughing matter, and in many cases a true horror story.

The flaw in making a mockumentary about UFOs and the Paranormal, no matter how rich the material might be, is in the absolute dismissal of the subject itself rather than the charlatans and opportunists who are exploiting it.

I have mixed emotions about the film. I look forward to seeing it. I'm sure I'll laugh and be spurred to think. However, I am afraid that the filmmaker treads the thin line bordering on exploitation himself.

Thanks for clearing that up T.O. cause I must not have peen paying close enough attention. I though it was an actual documentary. :redface: You are right about the folks like Greer and company. I just have a hard time thinking we are being visted by aliens from outer space. but who know? Perhaps this will be shown on Netlfix in case I miss it when it's releashed. :p:)

Pilkington's Mirage Men was about as good a look into a UFO convention from a documentary viewpoint as one could hope for, complete with interviews with Richard Doty himself. It too is to be released as movie by John Lundberg and Mark Pilkington at some point in the future, and that is one to look forward to.

Another really entertaining look at the more, shall we say eccentric, aspects of UFO conferences is in the form of a Rick Wood podcast from the 2010 X Conference. His interview with an attendee there manages to encompass, in the persona of this one true believer, just about every aspect of the UFO phenomena that makes you want to cringe and deny that you have any interest in such a field like this. Yet, while it is quite embarassing it's also immensely entertaining at the same time, not unlike convincing yourself you are slowing down by that car crash to make sure everyone's okay rather to see just how really bad it is.

The title, Jimmy Carter, Underground Alien Bases and Talking Velociraptors From Outer Space, is almost worth the price of admission in and of it self. ( Check it out here and here.) But beyond the entertainment value alone, there are some useful points to be pulled out of this interview. One is the incredible mashup of belief that has evolved, or rather is in a constant state of evolutionary flux, a sort of transconceptual miscegenation. The other is that in this ufological/ufoological evolutionary flux, there is not necessarily the survival of the strongest but of the weirdest. Not that any of the old concepts every completely die out, they just wait to be picked up by once again by newcomers unfamiliar with why they were laid aside in the first place.

Which makes one wonder if indeed there is any truly bad publicity other than no publicity when it comes to anomalous phenomena...Anyone remember Bridey Murphy? Thought not....

Cthonic Charlie, the Transconceptual Curmudgeon

Keeper of the Crypts at Anomaly Agnostic

Even though opinion polls have consistently shown the majority of people think there is something to the UFO phenomenon, I don't think any of the researchers. the good the bad or the fraudulent, have anything approaching real recognition outside of the core following.

It looks excellent.:D

The lunatic fringe in ufology deserves to be mocked in this way. They abandoned reason way back and perhaps holding up a mirror to some of the excesses and ridiculous characters will guide some from the path of righteous stupidity.

To the title of this thread I ask this: When is anything... EVER... good for the UFO community? Even Leslie Kean's recent book tour media blitz at BEST recieved head tilted smirks and mild dismissal, barely an improvement over the usual "little green men from mars" crap that's usually trotted out.

That said, the field is literally knee-deep in kooks of all stripes (the majority of which have already been listed here). Poking their collective ego-bubbles is never a bad thing.

Bottom line, I don't think this will do any more good or harm to the UFO field than it has already done (or is capable of doing) to itself.

It looks excellent.:D

The lunatic fringe in ufology deserves to be mocked in this way. They abandoned reason way back and perhaps holding up a mirror to some of the excesses and ridiculous characters will guide some from the path of righteous stupidity.

I wonder if the fringe element isn't what is keeping the whole thing afloat. I believe there a a lot of folks dropping money on books, movies and conventions to be entertained and to be in a crowd they like to hang out with. The fringe and those who take advantage of them. I also believe that all of the circus side show that goes with with the topic, make it harder for those to pursue it with a clear and free mind.

It's too bad this probably won't have a big effect. I would love to see a worldwide movement away from religious/paranormal/ufo belief. among the general public. A great apostasy if you will.

It would be a good test to see if the phenomenon is some sort of control system. The prediction being that there would be a big resergence of paranormal activity beyond what we are currently experiencing to try to get us to believe again.

Absolute genius. I wish I'd thought of it. I guess it is cheaper, legally, to fake a documentary about such a thing rather than going through the suits and counter suits that putting the real fruit and nuts into the mix like Greer, Burisch/Cain/Catselas, Reed/Rutter, Boyland, Icke, Lear, Levengood and so forth would cost.

A "real documentary" doing pretty much the same thing would be more of a tragedy than a comedy I'm afraid. In reality, the exploration of people's credulity by the con-artists and the misguided that plague the subject of UFOs, the Paranormal, and Religion is hardly a laughing matter, and in many cases a true horror story.

The flaw in making a mockumentary about UFOs and the Paranormal, no matter how rich the material might be, is in the absolute dismissal of the subject itself rather than the charlatans and opportunists who are exploiting it.

I have mixed emotions about the film. I look forward to seeing it. I'm sure I'll laugh and be spurred to think. However, I am afraid that the filmmaker treads the thin line bordering on exploitation himself.

Some of them are doing a pretty good job themselves of making the genre look silly

johninblackdress.jpg

John Lear

theilmannsm.jpg

Dick Theilmann aka Source A

Back