• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFOs and Nukes

In answer to your question, Garath, I will post another excerpt from my book, UFOs and Nukes, which is available only at ufohastings.com.

© Copyright 2008 Robert L. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City w:st=
</st1:City>Hastings</ST1:p. All Rights Reserved.

Why Do Aliens Reportedly Look Similar To Humans?
<O:p> </O:p>
Skeptics also ask, “Why are aliens always described as humanoid in appearance by those who claim to have seen them? Isn’t this highly unlikely, given that evolution on different planets would have proceeded differently?” <O:p></O:p>
To state the obvious, the use of the term “humanoid” is our own projection onto another life form that looks something like us. Setting aside, for the moment, the descriptions of alien beings provided by the UFO abductees, and using only the eyewitness reports of beings walking or standing near landed UFOs, or observed through a UFO’s windows, there are at least three (and probably many more) potential reasons why aliens reportedly look somewhat human.<O:p></O:p>
First, consider the possibility that the “humanoid” form is a universally-distributed, highly-successful, evolutionary model for sentient beings. Importantly, such life forms would, as we do, have two forward-facing eyes, which permit stereoscopic vision, so that depth-perception is possible. They/we also have an erect, bipedal stance which permits them/us to gradually develop hands that can grip tools and, eventually, build things—including spaceships. <O:p></O:p>
In fact, one might argue that other types of intelligences, perhaps many superior to ourselves, who did not develop hands as part of their evolutionary progression, would not be capable of building craft to travel in space and, therefore, could not arrive here and present themselves to humans. In other words, while other non-humanoid forms of intelligent life probably exist in the Universe, they might be restricted to their own worlds. At the moment, this can not be proved, one way or the other, but such a theory would explain why those advanced races who make it to Earth in spaceships are apparently only comprised ofbeings who have stereoscopic eyes, stand on two feet, and have hands with that can grasp things, including tools.<O:p></O:p>
Of course, different physical environments on Earth appear to modify a creature’s specific attributes, for example, the size of its eyes, in response to the ambient light level, or the degree of coverage and density of hair or fur, depending on the local temperature-range, and so on. Consequently, it is not unreasonable to suggest that the hypothesized universal pattern for an erect, bipedal, intelligent being—if such a generic pattern does indeed exist—would evolve somewhat or even very differently on different planets, resulting in a wide range of variations in the being’s height, weight, skin color, facial features, the length and number of fingers, as well as many other features. <O:p></O:p>
Consequently, one would expect to find variation, rather than uniformity, in the appearance of aliens—if they have different origins—which is precisely what has been reported by UFO sighting witnesses around the world. Moreover, in my view, the degree of diversity described is so pronounced, from case to case, so as to rule out the possibility that all of these beings hail from the same planet, just as Caucasian, Negroid, and Mongolian races all hail from our own planet. <O:p></O:p>
Perhaps most notably, given what our own paleontologists have learned about human evolution, with brain and cranium sizes generally increasing over time, one might reasonably speculate that the many witness reports of aliens having a very large head, relative to their much shorter, slender body, would be a predictable evolutionary development for an extremely advanced humanoid. (However, it must be said, other aliens emerging from UFOs reportedly have head-to-body ratios similar to humans.)<O:p></O:p>
A second possible explanation for why humans look somewhat like aliens is because we are them. If aliens have been coming here for a very long time, it is not out of the question that human evolution has been deliberately modified by outside influences—really outside influences. This possibility has been traditionally rejected by biologists, if for no other reason than the long-held belief that inter-species interbreeding, between humans and aliens, would be highly implausible, if not impossible. <O:p></O:p>
However, this argument becomes increasingly less viable with every passing year, in our brave new world of cloning, implanting genes from one species into another, and the other already practiced or proposed marvels of human genetic engineering. If we have been able to accomplish these feats, after only a few decades of research, imagine what an advanced, space faring race might achieve while visiting a primitive planet such as Earth, populated by proto-humans. <O:p></O:p>
Needless to say, the proposal that another race created, or even dramatically altered our own understandably rankles traditionally-religious persons, of all faiths, who sincerely and unquestionably believe that the Bible, or the Koran, or whatever, states that God alone created humankind in His own image. Nevertheless, while alien intervention in our own evolution may have never occurred, can it really be ruled out as a possibility by those who do not adhere to traditional beliefs? At this point, we have entered the arena of religious argument, a place in which I will tread no further.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
A third possible reason that aliens reportedly looked somewhat like humans involves the now-respectable concept of time-travel. One might be surprised by the number of theoretical physicists who currently propose its reality, in one form or another, either with or without the classic time-travel paradoxes noted by scientists and science fiction writers alike. In any event, if time travel is indeed possible, then perhaps some of the sightings of “humanoids” with huge heads and big bug eyes are actually sightings of humans from the very distant future, who have evolved into something similar to, but not quite like, today’s homo sapiens. <O:p></O:p>
However, in addition to these sightings, there are also the occasional reports of UFO occupants who are virtually human in appearance, down to the smallest detail. If these particular beings are humans from the future—and not some other, technologically more advanced species with an evolutionary path nearly identical to ours—then the clear implication is that our species will utilize time travel in the relatively near future, perhaps a few thousand years from now, before evolution significantly modifies our physical appearance. <O:p></O:p>
Regardless, one can argue that time travel—if it exists—might explain some of the reports of UFOnauts who have a human-like appearance. Having said that, however, I will assert that given the great diversity of the UFO occupants’ physical forms, as reported by sighting witnesses, the future-humans hypothesis alone can not account for all of the reports. Therefore, in addition to the possibility that some of the beings observed near landed UFOs are indeed humans from our future, many others are very probably true “aliens” from various advanced civilizations scattered throughout the galaxy or, perhaps, the whole universe/multiverse/parallel dimension matrix. (Man, astronomy and cosmology were certainly simpler to explain when I was a kid!) <O:p></O:p>
--Robert Hastings

Here I go again...Am I nutty? Maybe. Am I lying? No. I've never seen a Grey. I have seen a big fucking bug...twice. Once it was accompanied by what appeared to be tall Jawas. And I too am thrilled to have you on board Bob. You've got bigger balls than me. I am not the guy you want in charge of nukes. I accidentally 'peppered' a friend with a shotgun once.

Skunkape: I am not the guy you want in charge of nukes. I accidentally 'peppered' a friend with a shotgun once.

Vice President Cheney?! Is that you? Have you read my book yet?

--Robert<!-- / message -->

Skunkape: I am not the guy you want in charge of nukes. I accidentally 'peppered' a friend with a shotgun once.

Vice President Cheney?! Is that you? Have you read my book yet?

--Robert<!-- / message -->
Funny you ask...I'm not the Big Dick, but I did used to work as a chef at Harry Whittington's country club. Small world.

Can we start a new thread for Bob's book postings? Or authors' postings?

I find having large tracts of reprints in the middle of a discussion forum jarring.

Maybe we could put Hastings, Don Ecker and David Farrant, all who certainly deserve a platform, in the same thread, or category, at least. "UFO writers that are also fans of The Paracast", for instance.

While they're certainly interesting, and very welcome, as far as I'm concerned, they seem to be worthy of their own category.

Thank you.

Gilbavel: I find having large tracts of reprints in the middle of a discussion forum jarring.

You are a multi-dimensional being but reading text throws you? Time to get your implant tuned-up, dude. Personally, I find explaining my research findings in cyber sound bites jarring. In any case, this will be the only thread where I will be posting. Just skip over my input, I guess. No offense intended...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<O:p></O:p>
</O:p

In 2002, The Association of Air Force Missileers (AAFM) published a brief article of mine it its September newsletter, in which I asked former or retired USAF nuclear missile personnel to contact me with their UFO experiences. Among the 30-plus responses I received was this letter from former 1st Lt. Walter F. Billings, regarding three incidents at F.E. Warren in the early 1970s.<O:p</O:p
<O:p

Dear Mr. Hastings:
This is written with the assumption that you are an ex missile man and that I do not need to go into an explanation of my position at F.E. Warren AFB or what the job entailed. [Actually, I was an Air Force brat.]
I arrived at F.E. Warren AFB in <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City alt=
</st1:City>Cheyenne, <st1:State w:st="on">Wyo.</st1:State></ST1:p in late January of 1972 from Vandenburg AFB and had been trained in Minuteman One, and after further training at F.E. Warren was sent with the operations crews as a Deputy Missile Commander and assigned to a Squadron for the typical duty as a 2nd Lieutenant. I was later trained as a training officer for the Wing in Minuteman One, which encompassed assisting new arrivals in training and running simulators, and other duties. This was the standard duties until the Spring of 1973.

<O:pAs a First Lieutenant, along with so many others, went back to school at F.E. Warren to learn the new Minuteman Three system that was to be installed during the year of 1973. After training and evaluations, alert duties were assigned for the new system to those that had completed their training. We were to go on alerts as the new missile system was installed. In those days, F.E. Warren had 200 missiles on alert and was very active.

<O:pI am afraid that the dates that I will provide are somewhat vague. I wrote my experiences for a publication in this arena back in September 1993 and even then the dates were not exact. Also, some of the missile terminology may not be exact. I have forgotten some of the terms. I am sorry that I did not keep a private log of these events, back when they occurred

The first event took place in the Fall of 1973, over half of the LCCs [Launch Control Capsules] had been converted to Minuteman Three by this time and I was on alert at Golf LCC, it was late at night. The UHF radio linking all twenty LCCs opened up with urgent talk from India LCC. In those days, the UHF radio was turned on, at all times, and if one LCC spoke to their SAT team or other LCCs, all twenty LCCs heard the conversation. After the crew received a Outer Security Zone [alarm] on one of their missiles and sent their SAT crew out for the standard investigation trip, we began to hear over the radio the events that developed. <O:p

From the UHF radio communication between the SAT team and the India LCC crew, as we listened, we heard that as the truck was heading to the missile silo, the Inner Security Zone [alarm] had been tripped at the silo. Upon arriving near the subject silo, the SAT team observed a bright UFO hovering above the silo. The LCC crew advised the SAT team to proceed no further and to observe only. Approximately a minute later, the UFO moved off slowly for several thousand feet and then sped off at a high rate of speed. The conversation between the India LCC crew and the SAT team was heard by 19 other LCC crews on duty that night.<O:p

Upon relief by the next crew and upon return to F.E. Warren AFB, all crews on duty that night were informed that they would not speak to civilians or the news media about what they had heard on the UHF radio that night. Severe penalties were mentioned for those that did not heed this warning.<O:p

We, the LCC crews in general, began to hear rumors and stories, from other officers in operations and maintenance, that SAC headquarters at Offut AFB had sent the OSI to investigate this incident by helicopter. The <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:p</st1:country-region>crew of that night, would not speak of the incident, at all. There were stories from missile maintenance, that the missile in question had been carefully examined and that they found the target tapes on the three warheads, had been supposedly erased that night by the UFO. Needless to say, I only heard that these things had occurred. These stories were told between missile guys over the following week, but they were reliable people, who did not speak to civilians or the press about this subject. However, the Squadron commanders warned us, again, not to speak of the incident.

<O:pThe second incident involved an entire missile maintenance crew, I believe six enlisted men and one officer. This, also, occurred in late1973. A Minuteman III missile was being worked on for some routine problem during one of those late fall nights. A UFO was observed by the entire maintenance crew. The UFO appeared to be watching the work and was seen for a full five minutes has it maneuvered close to the missile silo. This was told to me by a missile maintenance 1st Lieutenant, approximately three days after the incident occurred.

<O:pThe third incident took place in early Spring of 1974. As I was arriving at Charlie LCC, in the morning with my captain, to begin an alert duty, we were told by the Staff Sergeant and two security police, who had been on duty that night, of the strange thing that had happened. They told us that a UFO had actually landed near the LCC and had been observed by the three, and that a minute by minute report had been given to the operations crew downstairs. When we asked about this, as we were relieving the LCC crew for our duty to begin, they would not talk about it with us. I heard a few days later that the Staff Sergeant was in some sort of trouble for speaking to us about what he saw, and that the OSI, was again, involved.
<O:pWhile I was in SAC, I, personally, was not directly involved with a UFO incident, while on duty. However, during June of 1974, while on a camping trip in <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Dubois</st1:City>, <ST1:pWyoming </ST1:p</ST1:pwith three other Lieutenants, we observed a UFO flying relatively low. It was similar to the ones that were described to us, in the above three incidents. Since all four of us were AF Lieutenants, we knew that this low flying object was not an aircraft. From that time forward, I have had an interest in this subject and have read some on the subject, as well.

<O:pI can tell you that these three incidents, at F.E. Warren AFB, did occur. It was a long time ago and I am sure many other things have happened since. I have not been able to find any written statements of these three incidents since. This could be because there was a very good cover-up of the situation, at that time, or they were not deemed important enough to bother with. Though, I doubt that the later is true.<O:p

I have always wondered as to what really happened to the missile that had the UFO hovering above it, and if the warhead target tapes had really been erased.<O:p

I wish you good luck on any research that you may do on this subject. I doubt that you will receive any help from those that might know the truth. I am sure that the cover-up that I observed many years ago, is still in effect.

<O:pThank you for your interest.

<O:pSincerely,

<O:pWalter F. Billings
<O:p
10/18/2002<O:p

Mr. Hastings,

As I mentioned previously I haven't entirely finished reading your book yet so I apologize if this question is addressed therein.

Given your documentation of the extreme interest of ufos in our nuclear activities it seems to me that it must have occurred to somebody that nuclear material might make for an ideal honeypot or honeytrap.

In Jacques Vallee's fictional book Stratagem a ufo landing is faked in a closely monitored environment in order to discover who comes poking around. My interpretation of the "Pentacle" Memorandum is that Battelle was suggesting a honeypot as early as 1953 although it does not specifically suggest nuclear material as bait.

I do recall that Ruppelt reported that there was a fairly substantial development program building specialized camera systems for filming ufos but that the resulting capabilities of the cameras were inadequate at the time and the effort was abandoned. Given that there have been significant advancements in imaging technology since the early 1950's it seems like unlikely to me that such a program would have been abandoned entirely.

I did read in your book that during some of the tests in the Pacific that some people were ordered in advance to be on the lookout for ufos but I'm curious to know if you are aware of any cases where nuclear activities were conducted with the expressed purpose of attracting ufos in order to film/document them?

Hi Dorkbot,

I am under the weather today so my answers will be brief:

I am unaware of any government-sanctioned efforts to trap UFOs. However, if the many reports by abductees of our visitors' apparent telepathic abilities are credible, it seems such a ploy would be destined to fail. In short, if they can read our minds, so to speak, they could presumably avoid capture in any type of ambush situation.

I am confident that our now extensive satellite systems, and security camera systems at high-security military sites, have captured images of UFOs but getting those images to the public is another matter. (There is that one tape from Edwards AFB that is now out. I don't know the details about its release.)

Similarly, I am certain that NORAD has captured countless tracks of UFOs on radar but, again, the public will never know the facts, at least for now.

As for nuclear weapons tests being conducted for the express purpose of attracting UFOs, I think not. The UFOnauts' interest in regularly-scheduled tests would have afforded ample opportunity to study the visitors' presence at such tests. As you know, my book has three or four chapters devoted to UFO activity at bomb research and assembly sites as well as test sites during the era of atmospheric atomic and thermonuclear testing.

Robert

Now, another excerpt from UFOs and Nukes: Extraordinary Encounters at Nuclear Weapons Sites.

Missile Shutdowns at Ellsworth AFB

Elsewhere in 1966, a similar—but more dramatic—incident involving UFOs and nukes reportedly occurred near Ellsworth Air Force Base, outside Rapid City, South Dakota. In 1962, Ellsworth had become the home of the 44th Strategic Missile Wing which, at the time of the incident, controlled 150 Minuteman I missiles.

In 1993, I interviewed former U.S. Air Force Staff Sergeant Albert Spodnik, who divulged a dramatic UFO experience at a missile silo located northeast of the base. In 1966, Spodnik had been a missile maintenance technician assigned to the 67th Strategic Missile Squadron at Ellsworth.

One summer night, Spodnik and a fellow Electro-Mechanical Team technician were dispatched to a Launch Facility code-named Juliet-03 to correct an electrical malfunction. For some reason, both the commercial power supply to the site and the emergency power system had simultaneously failed, rendering the Minuteman I missile temporarily inoperable. In Air Force parlance, the ICBM had “gone off alert status”. Following standard procedure, the two technicians drove to the site in an equipment-laden Crew Cab, escorted by an Air Force security guard.

After restoring power to the launch facility, Spodnik and his partner began an automated start-up procedure which would return the missile to normal operational status. When they left the underground silo to take a break, the technicians’ security escort alerted them to a sudden, excited exchange over the Crew Cab’s two-way radio. As the men listened, they learned that an armed Air Force Security Alert Team had been ordered to investigate a triggered security alarm at Launch Facility Juliet-05, located some six miles away. Furthermore, the missile there had abruptly dropped off alert status. As with Juliet-03, the site had lost commercial electrical power and its diesel-powered generator, designed to charge back-up batteries, had failed to start.

When the Security Alert Team arrived at Juliet-05, they reported that a strange object was sitting on the ground inside the security fence that surrounded the missile silo. As Spodnik and his companions eavesdropped, they heard the Flight Security Controller order the SAT to approach the object. Obviously upset, the team leader responded that he would not do so. He said that his team was parked outside the gate to the launch facility but would go no further. He then reported that the mysterious object was round, metallic, and resting on a tripod landing gear.

As this drama was unfolding over the radio, Spodnik and his companions quickly climbed up on the Crew Cab’s roof and flat bed to get a better view of the adjacent missile silo, which was about four miles away. Gazing across the flat, open terrain, they noticed an intense glow that seemed to envelop the entire launch facility, much brighter than the security lights located there.

By this time, the Flight Security Controller had notified Juliet Flight’s Launch Commander about the situation. Spodnik could only hear the radio conversation between the Flight Security Controller and the Security Alert Team, but the Launch Commander had apparently ordered the team to approach the unidentified object. Once again, the team leader refused. In a strained voice, he abruptly asked for permission to fire on the object. In response, the Flight Security Controller yelled, “Negative! Don’t shoot until you know what’s going on!” He then informed the agitated security team leader that the Launch Commander had ordered the men to stand-by while he called the Missile Command Post at Ellsworth AFB. After a few moments, the team leader was told that a helicopter was being sent to the site.

Spodnik said that shortly after this exchange, all of the radio transmissions were “patched” into a single channel to permit direct communication between the those aboard the helicopter, Juliet Flight personnel, and the Security Alert Team leader. This also incidentally allowed Spodnik and his companions to overhear the conversations of all those involved. They soon learned that on board the helicopter were the Base Commander, the Wing Commander, the Missile Maintenance Commander, the Civil Engineering Commander and the Base Hospital Commander. This was extraordinary, to say the least. As Spodnik told the author, “It would have practically taken an Act of Congress to get all those guys out to that site—and at night too! Helicopters usually didn’t fly at night, unless it was absolutely necessary, because of safety reasons.” The fact that this elite group had been so quickly assembled suggests that they may have already been on alert at the base, perhaps relating to the earlier missile failure at Juliet-03.

Spodnik said that about 30 minutes after the Command Post had been notified about the UFO landing, he saw the helicopter in the distance, as it approached the stricken launch facility. When it was about five minutes away, someone screamed into the radio, “There it goes!” Instantly, Spodnik saw a brilliant white light directly above Juliet-05, ascending vertically at enormous velocity. He said that it had the appearance of an “inverted flashlight beam”.

Jumping off the Crew Cab’s roof, Spodnik gaped at the other men in astonishment. Thoroughly intrigued, they all continued to listen intently to the radio. After the UFO had left the vicinity, the Security Alert Team leader was heard to say that he was preparing to enter the launch facility’s gate, but someone ordered him not to proceed until the helicopter arrived. Once it had landed, everyone went onto the site together. It was reported that there was no obvious damage to the missile silo, but three indentations were discovered in the gravel nearby, in a triangular pattern, with each mark approximately 25 feet from the others.

Suddenly, the launch facility’s commercial power came back on-line, prompting the Launch Commander to exclaim over the radio, “What did you do to restore power?” Someone answered, “We didn’t do anything!” The silo itself couldn’t be entered because no one present had the access codes. Spodnik said that the Security Alert Team was ordered to remain at Juliet-05 overnight, while the helicopter returned the “big wheels” to Ellsworth.

After the furor had subsided, Spodnik and his partner finished their work at Juliet-03 and returned to the base. Upon arriving, they and their security escort were met by the Maintenance Commander, Colonel Charles W. Slaughter, who promptly asked them if they had seen or heard anything unusual while at the launch facility. The security guard readily admitted to eavesdropping on the two-way radio, confessing that he was baffled by what had taken place at Juliet-05.

Glancing nervously at each other, Spodnik and the other technician impulsively denied having witnessed anything out of the ordinary. Both men told the commander that they had spent the entire visit to the launch facility underground, restoring the missile to alert status.

When I asked Spodnik why he had not admitted to listening to the radio chatter, he replied that he and his partner had previously heard rumors about missile technicians being relieved of duty for reporting strange occurrences at ICBM sites. “We heard about people reporting seeing things,” he said, “Not necessarily UFOs, just anything oddball that couldn’t be explained rationally. Those guys were ordered to report to the [base] hospital, examined, and medically discharged as mentally unfit for military service.” Spodnik admitted that he didn’t personally know of anyone who had been treated in this manner, but rumors to that effect had been circulating within his squadron.

Spodnik was undoubtedly referring to a Department of Defense regulation known as “PRP”—Personnel Reliability Program. As mentioned earlier, this directive is designed to govern the behavior of those who work with or around nuclear weapons. Under its guidelines, potentially severe consequences await those judged by their superiors to be psychologically unstable. Several former Air Force missile personnel interviewed by the author have said that, because of this regulation, they also had concerns about reporting their own UFO sighting, and often did not.

Spodnik said that Colonel Slaughter, upon hearing his denial, eyed him suspiciously and then ordered the two technicians to report to his office early the next morning. Arriving there, Spodnik noticed that the commander had with him an individual dressed in civilian clothes. This person was not introduced, said nothing, took no notes, but listened attentively as Spodnik and his partner answered the commander’s questions about the events of the previous evening. Now very nervous, the pair nevertheless stuck to their story—they had seen and heard nothing. After a several-minute interrogation, the Maintenance Commander ordered the two men to report to duty.

When I asked Spodnik if he knew who the individual in civilian clothes may have been, he replied that while he didn’t know for certain, he believed he was an agent of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) at Ellsworth. This assumption was based on a rumor he that subsequently heard.

Spodnik further stated that the neither he nor his partner ever saw their security escort again. Ordinarily, standard duty rotation would have ensured that the same individual be assigned to accompany Spodnik on some future maintenance call, but this never occurred. Spodnik assumed that the escort had been transferred to another base, but never did learn the reason for his sudden departure.

I believe that Spodnik is a credible source. While official documentation which would verify his statements is currently unavailable—unfortunately the rule in these highly-sensitive cases—I am of the opinion that the events reported by him did in fact occur as described.

The reported UFO incidents at Ellsworth AFB were undoubtedly of great concern to the Air Force. Although the unclassified report revealing similar events at Minot AFB that same year—later released by Dr. Hynek—did not mention missile malfunctions, per se, another credible report suggests that the ICBM-shutdown incidents at Ellsworth described by Spodnik were not isolated.

Robert Hastings
ufohastings.com

<!-- e -->

(There is that one tape from Edwards AFB that is now out. I don't know the details about its release.)

<!-- e -->

Could you expand on that a little? Are you saying theres a smoking gun video thats been released? (Sorry I know you said you dont details but anything you do know would be great)

Gareth,

I misspoke. The video allegedly comes from Nellis AFB, and was shot in 1994. Google that. I can't vouch for the authenticity of the tape, but it seems legitimate to me. Is it ET, or one of our test craft, or a hoax? I dunno. But my undergraduate degree is in Photography and I worked in the field for 10 years. If this is a hoax, it's a really good one.

Robert

Gareth,

I misspoke. The video allegedly comes from Nellis AFB, and was shot in 1994. Google that. I can't vouch for the authenticity of the tape, but it seems legitimate to me. Is it ET, or one of our test craft, or a hoax? I dunno. But my undergraduate degree is in Photography and I worked in the field for 10 years. If this is a hoax, it's a really good one.

Robert

Ahh sorry, yeah Im VERY familiar with that video. Its by far my favourite piece of anomalous air craft video.

UFO - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE - NEVADA TEST SITE - MAY 30, 1995 - (HIGH-QUALITY)

The U.S. dropped atomic weapons on Japan, not nuclear.

Atomic weapons utilize fission (now obsolete, but in retrospect, a hell of a lot kinder--the first one dropped on Hiroshima was mostly a dud--less than 10% of it actually went off... the rest of it "fissiled" :p) whereas nuclear weapons utilize fusion... about 1000 times more powerful.

I dont understand, to my knowledge all atomic weapons were considered to be nuclear in nature, or am i wrong?

participation in this forum will be limited due to other committments related to my research and writing. Moreover, I frequently travel on the college lecture circuit during the spring and fall and will have no email capability until I return home. ...

Mr. Hastings,

It will be a pleasure to have your voice joining us, however often you are able to do so.

Regarding your not having email access while on the road, can I recommend that you get yourself on online/webmail email account (GMail, Yahoo!, etc.) and use that. You should be able to get access to the Internet at any university or college. Even most hotels/motels have free high speed access both in the rooms and in 24 hour business centers in the lobby.

I'm sure Gene and Dave would be more than happy to advise you in this matter if you are not comfortable with it.

I dont understand, to my knowledge all atomic weapons were considered to be nuclear in nature, or am i wrong?

The two main types of nuclear weapons are fission weapons (also known as "atomic bombs", "atom bombs", or "A-bombs") and fusion weapons (also known as "hydrogen bombs", "H-bombs", or "thermonuclear bombs".
A hydrogen bomb, or fusion bomb, is a nuclear weapon which utilizes hydrogen isotopes (deuterium and tritium) as another type of fuel. Hydrogen bombs can be many hundreds of times more powerful than fission bombs.

So, while both types unlock the power of the atom (and so both could be considered "atomic" in the same sense that we could, or that table over there could (because it has atomic structure, an atomic weight, etc.), the real differentiation between the two is that the firing mechanism of an atomic bomb basically uses conventional explosives to slam the fissile material into fission, whereas the firing mechanism of a nuclear device slams fissile material into other fissile material, creating fusion.

Atomic weapons are obsolete, unless you're talking about Pakistan, India, and the newest members of the "nuclear club" (a bit of a misnomer).

So, I'll grant, it's semantic, however correct, to refer to the bombs that the U.S. military dropped on Japan, "The Bomb", as atomic, or "The Atom bomb" (it was slang, and as it was a relatively new field, they can be forgiven for not being specific about it--after all, there weren't yet any nuclear weapons--but there would be soon).

The devices they have aboard "nuclear submarines" and aboard stealth aircraft, and on ICBMS, etc, those are Thermonuclear weapons.

Laypeople (Those that are not scientists) tend to use the phrases interchangeably, and it's easy to get them confused.

Attachments

• Atomic_cloud_over_Hiroshima.jpg
    Atomic_cloud_over_Hiroshima.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Nuclear_fireball.jpg
    Nuclear_fireball.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 23
The two main types of nuclear weapons are fission weapons (also known as "atomic bombs", "atom bombs", or "A-bombs") and fusion weapons (also known as "hydrogen bombs", "H-bombs", or "thermonuclear bombs".
A hydrogen bomb, or fusion bomb, is a nuclear weapon which utilizes hydrogen isotopes (deuterium and tritium) as another type of fuel. Hydrogen bombs can be many hundreds of times more powerful than fission bombs.

So, while both types unlock the power of the atom (and so both could be considered "atomic" in the same sense that we could, or that table over there could (because it has atomic structure, an atomic weight, etc.), the real differentiation between the two is that the firing mechanism of an atomic bomb basically uses conventional explosives to slam the fissile material into fission, whereas the firing mechanism of a nuclear device slams fissile material into other fissile material, creating fusion.

Atomic weapons are obsolete, unless you're talking about Pakistan, India, and the newest members of the "nuclear club" (a bit of a misnomer).

So, I'll grant, it's semantic, however correct, to refer to the bombs that the U.S. military dropped on Japan, "The Bomb", as atomic, or "The Atom bomb" (it was slang, and as it was a relatively new field, they can be forgiven for not being specific about it--after all, there weren't yet any nuclear weapons--but there would be soon).

The devices they have aboard "nuclear submarines" and aboard stealth aircraft, and on ICBMS, etc, those are Thermonuclear weapons.

Laypeople (Those that are not scientists) tend to use the phrases interchangeably, and it's easy to get them confused.

I do thank you for information, and yes there seems to be differences in the design and power of nuclear weapons over the years and even new ones hydro and thermo. But i was just commenting on the weapons dropped on japan most historians say they were the first nuclear weapons dropped that was the basis for the post.

At least one high school student, who put together a working model of an atomic bomb (minus the firing mechanism and the fissile material) for a science fair, has been pulled in for questioning by the 3-letter agencies about the procurement of "classified" information for the project.
Once it was made clear that the kid(s) had gotten the plans off of the Internet, and that said plans weren't really classified any more--charges were dropped, and said kid(s) were allowed to go home, albeit somewhat worse for the wear...
Putting together a nuclear weapon for a science fair would be considerably more difficult!

Also, I probably should have specified, that the sheer power (in megatons, if you like) between a fission bomb and a fusion bomb are literally orders of magnitude apart. An atomic bomb might destroy a city, while a nuclear weapon would destroy a state (even a big one).

When we split the atom, we were on the way to creating an atomic weapon. When we realized that much, much bigger results could be had by fusing two (or more) hydrogen atoms together (hopefully in a massive chain reaction), then we were on course to create thermonuclear weapons. Then of course, you also have Neutron bombs, and Cobalt bombs.

I'll let you check those out yourself, I wouldn't want to get in the way of anyone's sense of discovery! :p

Meanwhile, back in the missile field:

NUFORC Report

June 15, 1966, Whiteman AFB, Missouri </ST1:p
Whiteman AFB Minuteman ICBM Complex
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/018/S18745.html<O:p</O:p

Occurred : 6/15/1966 21:00
Reported: 7/30/2001 20:14
Posted: 8/5/2001
Shape: Disk
Duration: 2 hours

Military sighting of saucer-like object in Missouri

I was in the Air Force, stationed at Whiteman AFB, working in the command post. At approx. 2100 hours, I received a call from the Wing Security controller asking me to tune my radio to the base frequency. I did and started listening to a series of events that began with a missile site losing power and a strike team being dispatched to the site only to see this saucer-shaped device hovering over the site. When the team was ordered to advance onto the site, the device backed away and power returned as soon as it was away from the site.

THIS HAPPENED IN THE SOUTHERNMOST FLIGHT AREA OF THE MISSILE COMPLEX. THE DEVICE BEGAN A SLOW NORTHERLY ROUTE, TRACKING OVER MISSILE SITES AS IT WENT. EACH TIME IT WOULD CROSS A SITE, THE POWER WOULD BE LOST AND RETURN AS SOON AS IT PASSED AWAY. THE DEVICE CAME NEARLY OVER THE BASE AND WAS VISUALLY SIGHTED BY THE WEATHER OBSERVERS AND CONTROL TOWER PERSONNEL. IT CONTINUED NORTH OUT OF THE WING AREA WITHOUT INCIDENT EXCEPT FOR THE POWER OUTAGES.

I turned all information into the AF Project Blue Book and never heard of the situation again.

(NUFORC Note: We have attempted to telephone this witness, in order to obtain more details, but have been unsuccessful in reaching him, to date. PD)

This post is courtesy of Peter Davenport, Director, National UFO Reporting Center (NUFORC)

heres an idea, the old teach a man to fish principle....

give a man a fish and he eats that day, teach him how to fish and he eats for life.

we know that large chunks of wandering real estate sometimes hit the planet, some even suggesting one of these did the dinos in.

what if being a "natural" wellspring of life, the planet has been sheilded from these larger rocks recently, but that rather than standing around for ever, they are also teaching the locals how to fish ie technology and Nukes, so that eventually we can do the job ourselves.

fits the planet exploding meme they seem fond of too

Back