• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFOs and Nukes

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A missile shield test was a "smashing success," Pentagon officials said Friday, despite the failure of the test to put to rest concerns that the interceptor might not be able to differentiate between real missiles and decoys.<!--===========/IMAGE===========--> <!--===========CAPTION==========-->Eight of the United States' 13 missile defense tests have been deemed a success.<!--===========/CAPTION=========-->

The ground-based interceptor missile, launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, destroyed a long-range ballistic missile launched from Kodiak, Alaska, the Defense Department's Missile Defense Agency said.
But one key aspect of the test -- to see whether the system could tell the difference between a missile and a decoy aimed at confounding its "seek" systems -- failed because the decoy did not deploy.

--CNN December 5, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Big Sur Case

For those of you who have not yet read my article on the Big Sur case, “A Shot Across the Bow,” it is at http://www.cufos.org/hastings.pdf

According to former USAF Lt. Robert Jacobs and retired USAF Major Florenze Mansmann, the incident involved the filming, through a high-powered telescopic camera, of a UFO shooting down a dummy nuclear warhead launched from Vandenberg AFB on Sept. 15, 1964.

While the Dec. 5, 2008 test may have involved a prosaic failure of some kind, with no UFO activity present, one wonders.

And then there is this:

On June 17, 1974, the Hobart <ST1:p</ST1:pMercury (Australia) carried the following news item, based on an article appearing the same day in The New York Times:
<O:p
<ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City alt=
</st1:City>

HUNTSVILLE, <st1:State w:st="on">Alabama</st1:State></ST1:p– Experts at an Army missile base say they are puzzled about strange ‘ghost ships’ picked up by powerful radar scanner in the Pacific during a tracking exercise last summer.<O:p

There has been little official comment on what the scientists found during the exercise, but Major Dallas Van Hoose, an Army spokesman, confirmed recently that ‘some unexplained aerial phenomena’ were observed during the exercise last August [1973]. Scientists, many of whom are reluctant to be named in interviews because of general public skepticism over unidentified flying objects, say privately they have been unable to find any explanation for the ‘ghost ships.’
‘We have never seen anything precisely like this before,’ said one ballistic missile defense expert who works for an Army agency here and who is familiar with the advanced radar used to test missiles and warheads. <st1:City w:st="on">Huntsville</st1:City> houses the Army’s ballistic missile defense systems command which tests in the Kwajelein Atoll region of the <st1:placeName w:st="on">Marshall</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Island</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Trust</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Territory</st1:placeType> held by the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pUS</ST1:p.</st1:country-region>
<st1:country-region w:st="on"></st1:country-region>
<st1:country-region w:st="on"></st1:country-region>
Last August the Air Force launched a Minuteman ICBM from Vandenberg Air Force base aimed for the Kwajelein missile range which is used by the Army, Air Force, and Navy. The radar experts in the Pacific found they were also tracking an unidentified flying object next to the ICBM’s nose cone. Radar picked up a inverted saucer-shape object to the right and above the descending nose cone and watched it cross the warhead’s trajectory to a point which was below and to-the-left of it before the phantom ship disappeared.

The ghost ship was described as being 10-feet high and 40-feet long. Two separate radar systems saw it at the same time which may eliminate the probability that there was a malfunction in one of the radar systems. It was also reported that 3 other identical objects were seen in the vicinity – the same size, shape, and dimensions. One scientist said the data indicated that the phantom ship ‘flew under its own power’ but cold not explain what sort of ‘power’ was involved. So far none of the experts here believe the ghost ship was a natural phenomenon caused by freak weather conditions or echoes commonly seen on radar screens.<SUP> </SUP>

So, apparently, the incident described by Jacobs and Mansmann was not unique. Regarding the ballistic missile expert’s statement about never having seen “anything precisely like this before”, given that the 1964 Big Sur incident was immediately classified Top Secret—with only a handful of individuals knowing the facts—it would have been unknown to other military and civilian personnel conducting missile tests a decade later. As for the UFO’s apparent shape, I’m unclear as to how radar could have determined it was an “inverted saucer”. This statement seems to be a garbled journalistic description, which inadvertently combined both radar and photographic data, as described by the source

Researcher Barry Greenwood later reprinted this newspaper story in his co-authored book, Clear Intent (later republished as The UFO Cover-up). He wrote, “When FOIA inquiries were filed with the Army, they denied having any records concerning the sighting. We were referred to Vandenberg AFB, <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:pCalifornia</ST1:p</st1:State>. Vandenberg responded that ‘in accordance with Air Force manual 12-50 which implements the Federal Records Act, the launch operations records for August 1973 have been destroyed.’ Note that it is not stated that the UFO tracking report was destroyed, only a very general statement is given that ‘launch operations records’ were destroyed. That [records of] such a mysterious event as this would not be kept somewhere for possible future use is incomprehensible. Yet this excuse is offered time and time again to deny access to records…

--Robert Hastings
ufohastings.com

Here's the question that begs to be asked. Why would a UFO want to go out of its way to shoot down a dummy missile?

I saw this particular case in a documentary, and thought, even though it was interesting, clearly the occupants on board a UFO, would be able to tell a real payload carrying missile, from a dummy test missile.

Here's the question that begs to be asked. Why would a UFO want to go out of its way to shoot down a dummy missile?

I saw this particular case in a documentary, and thought, even though it was interesting, clearly the occupants on board a UFO, would be able to tell a real payload carrying missile, from a dummy test missile.

I think thats fairly obvious isnt it? To send a message.... "Look what we can do! .... NOW STOP ALL THIS WEAPON DEVELOPMENT!!!"

Tommy Allison: Why would a UFO want to go out of its way to shoot down a dummy missile?

To demonstrate their ability to do it. Just as they have demonstrated their ability to shut down, or temporarily activate, missiles in their underground silos.

Do you think they have improved missile /silo design as a result of these events ?

do you think any research has been conducted into ways to "sheild" components etc from this sort of "interferance" EMI/RFI etc

Mike: Do you think they have improved missile /silo design as a result of these events ? Do you think any research has been conducted into ways to "sheild" components etc from this sort of "interferance" EMI/RFI etc.

RH: Improvement in silo design was in response to larger and more accurate Soviet warheads.

Researcher Jim Klotz has discovered that Boeing (one of the Minuteman missile contractors) investigated EM pulse as the possible culprit after the UFO-related Echo Flight shutdown at Malmstrom AFB, in March 1967. However, I suspect that the Air Force was more concerned about EM pulse effects from nuclear blasts rather than UFO interference.

However, regarding the Echo Flight shutdown, former missile launch officer Bob Salas, who was involved in the other full-flight shutdown that month, at Oscar Flight, has written:

“With regards to the Echo UFO encounters, I have spoken with the DMCCC (Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander), Walt Figel (Lt.Col. Retired) about this incident and he related to me that his missiles did in fact go down precisely at the time UFOs were being reported by the maintenance crew at one of his sites. There are details lacking in our report [on the Echo incident], not because we are avoiding including them, but because we have had a difficult time getting all the facts from Air Force. The incident was classified until we unclassified it through a FOIA request. In addition, [the technical] details of the Echo incident were suppressed by the Air Force. I know this because the individual [Robert Kaminski] who headed up the Boeing/Ogden team that investigated the Echo incident told me the Air Force directed him, through his supervisor, not to write a final report on the incident.” ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Kaminski’s letter to Salas, dated February 1, 1997, states, “The team met with me to report their findings and it was decided that the final report would have nothing significant in it to explain what happened at E-Flight. In other words, there was no technical explanation that could explain the event. The team went off to do the final report.”<O:p></O:p>
Kaminski continued, “Meanwhile, I was contacted by our representative [Don Peterson] at OOAMA [Ogden Air Material Command’s support facility] and told by him that the incident was reported as being a UFO event—that a UFO was seen by some airmen over the LCF at the time E-Flight went down. Subsequently, we were notified a few days later that a stop work order was on the way from OOAMA to stop any further effort on this project. We stopped. We were also told that we were not to submit the final engineering report. This was most unusual since all of our work required reviews by the customer and the submittal of a final Engineering Report to OOAMA.”<O:p></O:p>
Kaminski has further discussed his involvement in the incident in his book, Lying Wonders.<O:p></O:p>

--Robert Hastings
ufohastings.com

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks Mate,
i wondered about things like swapping out copper for fibre optics as relays etc, but as you say these things are also useful in terms of EMP from enemy warheads.

do you think then there is a sense of fatalistic acceptance of these events from the military, ie the ostrich gambit.

i sometimes wonder if what we see in these examples is the UFO/occupants acting as a sort of "tiger team"

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/tiger-team.html

Mike: do you think then there is a sense of fatalistic acceptance of these events from the military, ie the ostrich gambit.

RH: I think the brass at the Pentagon know that they can't prevent the UFO incursions at missile sites, so they begrudgingly accept that fact. I often wonder about what has taken place within the recent past, maybe even last night, at one base or another. It will probably be years or even decades before I/we know.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the ocean:

The Soviet Bentwaters
<O:p> </O:p>

In July 1989, an intriguing UFO incident occurred at the Soviet missile test complex known as Kapustin Yar, located south of the city of Volgograd, in southwestern <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:country-region alt=
</st1:country-region><ST1:pRussia</ST1:p.
By that time, the complex already had a long history of ICBM and IRBM (Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile) development. In 1946, the first captured German V-2 rockets were tested there, effectively initiating the Soviets’ military and space rocket programs. In 1960-61, tests of the RT-14 IRBM—which played a prominent role in the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis—were conducted at the complex. After their removal from <st1:country-region w:st="on">Cuba</st1:country-region>, the RT-14s were subsequently targeted against Western Europe and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">China</ST1:place></st1:country-region>. At the time of the 1989 UFO incident, a group of 12 RT-14s were operational at Kapustin Yar and spare nuclear warheads were stored in a nearby weapons depot.<O:p></O:p>
The information about the UFO sighting comes directly from declassified KGB documents, secured by western researchers and journalists following the collapse of the <ST1:pSoviet Union</ST1:p in 1991. Don Berliner, of the Fund for UFO Research, notes that the KGB file contained the depositions of seven Soviet military personnel, drawings of the UFO made by some of the observers, and a case summary written by an unnamed KBG officer, from which Berliner excerpted the following passage:<O:p></O:p>
“Military personnel of the signal center observed UFOs in the period from 22:12 hrs. to 23:55 hrs. on 28 July 1989. According to the witnesses’ reports, they observed three objects simultaneously, at a distance of 3-5 km.After questioning the witnesses, it was determined that the reported characteristics of the observed UFOs are: disc 4-5 m. diameter, with a half-sphere on top, which is lit brightly. It moved sometimes abruptly, but noiselessly, at times coming down and hovering over ground at an altitude of 20-60 m. The command of [censored] called for a fighter... but it was not able to see it in detail, because the UFO did not let the aircraft come near it, evading it. Atmospheric conditions were suitable for visual observations.”<O:p></O:p>
Berliner writes, “The most detailed communication was submitted by the Officer-on-Duty, Ensign Valery N. Voloshin. A Captain from the telegraph center informed him at 23:20 hrs. that ‘an unidentified flying object, which he called a flying saucer, was hovering over the military unit for over an hour.’ After confirming the sighting with the operation signal officer on duty, Ensign Voloshin and Private Tishchayev climbed the first part of an antenna tower.” According to [Voloshin’s] deposition: <O:p></O:p>
“One could clearly see a powerful blinking signal which resembled a camera flash in the night sky. The object flew over the unit's logistics yard and moved in the direction of the rocket weapons [nuclear warhead] depot, 300 meters away. It hovered over the depot at a height of 20 meters. The UFO's hull shone with a dim green light which looked like phosphorous. It was a disc, 4 or 5 m. in diameter, with a semispherical top.<O:p></O:p>
While the object was hovering over the depot, a bright beam appeared from the bottom of the disc, where the flash had been before, and made two or three circles, lighting the corner of one of the buildings...The movement of the beam lasted for several seconds, then the beam disappeared and the object, still flashing, moved in the direction of the railway station. After that, I observed the object hovering over the logistics yard, railway station and cement factory. Then it returned to the rocket weapons depot, and hovered over it at an altitude of 60-70 m. The object was observed from that time on, by the first guard-shift and its commander. At 1:30 hrs., the object flew in the direction of the city of <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Akhtubinsk</st1:City></ST1:place and disappeared from sight. The flashes on the object were not periodical, I observed all this for exactly two hours: from 23:30 to 1:30.”<O:p></O:p>
Berliner continues, “Private Tishcahayev essentially confirmed Ensign Voloshin's testimony. The guard-shift of Corporal Levin and Privates Bashev, Kulik and Litvinov basically tell the same story. They were all alerted by 1st Lt. Klimenko and they all saw up to three UFOs performing fantastic acrobatics in the sky, such as:<O:p></O:p>
‘Suddenly, it flew in our direction. It approached fast and increased in size. It then like divided itself in three shining points and took the shape of a triangle. Then it changed course and went on flying in the same sector.<O:p></O:p>
After veering, it began to approach us and its speed could be felt physically. (It swelled in front of our eyes). Its flight was strange: no aircraft could fly in this manner. It could instantly stop in the air (and there was an impression that it wobbled slightly up and down); it could float (exactly that: float, because the word 'fly' would not be adequate, it was as if the air was holding it, preventing it from falling). At all times that I observed it, it was blinking, blinking without any order and constantly changing colors (red, blue, green, yellow). The point itself was not blinking but something above it.<O:p></O:p>
Here is what I observed: there was a flying object, resembling an egg, but flatter. It shone brightly alternating green and red lights. This object gathered a great speed. It accelerated abruptly and also stopped abruptly, all the while doing large jumps up or down. Then appeared a second and then a third object. One object rose to low altitude and stopped. It stayed there in one place and was gone. Later a second object disappeared, and only one stayed. It moved constantly along the horizon. At times, it seemed it landed on the ground, then it rose again and moved’’’<O:p></O:p>
<O:p</O:p> </O:p>
The remarkable UFO incident at Kapustin Yar’s nuclear warhead depot, as summarized by the KGB, has obvious parallels with the sighting at the RAF/USAF Bentwaters Weapons Storage Area, in December 1980. In each case, a disc-shaped object hovered at low altitude over a nuclear weapons storage site and released beams of light down into it, for unknown reasons. When I sent a copy of Berliner’s report to Bentwaters’ former Deputy Base Commander, now-retired Colonel Charles Halt, he responded simply, “This all sounds very familiar.” <O:p></O:p>
--Robert Hastings
ufohastings.com

Amazing case.

I continue to be super super beyond fascinated with these reports of a UFOs having a slight wobble to them while hovering. I think there is a massive clue there about how their anti-grav propulsion works.

Hi Gareth,

I recently read Secrets of UFO Technology by Kenneth Behrendt, which I found fascinating. Way too complicated to explain his thesis here but maybe you should check it out. Engineer Paul Hill's Unconventional Flying Objects is another excellent resource.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So far, I have mostly discussed UFO activity at ICBM sites. Here is an intriguing account from a former B-52 squardron member. B-52 bombers have been the primary U.S. aircraft for nuclear weapons delivery since the late 1950s.

© Copyright 2008 Robert L. Hastings. All Rights Reserved.

In 1985, one of my former U.S. Air Force sources revealed an intriguing incident which is unique among the many cases reported to me over the years. While “John Harris”, as I call him, has asked to remain anonymous, I have had ongoing contact with him since 1988, know him well, and consider his account to be credible.

In 1962, Harris had been an Airman 1st Class, assigned to the Air Force’s 98th Bombardment Squadron, at Clinton-Sherman AFB, near Burns Flat, Oklahoma. During our interview he told me, “My Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC) was 30153. I was an electronic counter-measures (ECM) technician. I flew on B-52s to trouble-shoot ECM problems. Based on my military records, one day between March 31, 1962, and July 2, 1962, I attended a briefing for all personnel who were on flying status, held at the Clinton-Sherman Air Force Base theater. Attending the briefing were both regular crew members and non-crew members on flying status. I was a member of the latter group.”

According to Harris, once everyone had been assembled, the commander of the 4123 Strategic Wing, to which the 98th was assigned, mounted the stage and told the men they were about to be shown a short movie. Without further explanation, the lights were dimmed and the screening proceeded. The U.S. Air Force emblem appeared briefly, then faded out. Suddenly, Harris was startled to see what was obviously a military interceptor’s gun-camera film of a flying saucer it was chasing. As he watched in amazement, this unedited segment lasted for a perhaps three or four minutes as the jet climbed, dove and banked, in an effort to keep up with the UFO.

Abruptly, the clip ended and a second segment of gun-camera footage appeared on screen, documenting an entirely different UFO intercept attempt. The new craft’s appearance differed somewhat from the first, although it was still basically saucer-shaped. After a few minutes, this segment also ended abruptly and a third segment immediately appeared—different pursuit, different UFO.

Harris states that five or six of these gun-camera clips were presented, spliced together one after the other, for the next 20 to 30 minutes. Some of the intercept attempts were filmed in color, with the remainder in black-and-white. “Several [UFO] shapes could be seen,” he said, “one was saucer-shaped with a dome on top; another one was cigar-shaped with port holes; and some looked like a cloud, maybe because they were embedded in a plasma field. Some of the film segments were very jerky due to the pursing aircraft attempting to stay with the UFO.” Throughout, there was no narration or soundtrack of any kind. Harris told me that one “could have heard a pin drop” in the theater, as the squadron’s members watched in stunned silence.

“After the film ended,” Harris said, “the wing commander read a statement informing the audience about a huge fine, court-martial and possible jail sentence, if we talked about UFOs. Then the commander had members of his staff hand out forms. They were to be used if a training mission was diverted to pursue a UFO. One [type of] form was given to the aircraft commander and the copilot. A different form was given to the navigator, and another to the Electronic War Officer (EWO). I was able to read the form handed to the EWO. The first page had at least the Air Force logo and instructions. I remember that there were sections on specific ECM devices, such as APR-14, APR-9, ALA-5 and others I don't remember. For whatever reason, they wanted information about signals [originating from a UFO] at a frequency of 3,000 MHz. In addition, they wanted to know the polarization of the signal.”

From Harris’ brief account, it may reasonably be inferred that UFO sightings by the squadron’s members had already occurred, probably more than once. Consequently, someone with command authority, either in the 98th Bomb Squadron, or perhaps at Strategic Air Command headquarters, had decided to attempt the systematic collection of data relating to UFOs’ apparent electronic signature...

In any case, one wonders if other B-52 squadrons, at other U.S. Air Force bases during that era, had been similarly briefed en masse about UFOs. If they were, I am personally unaware it.

On the other hand, perhaps the gun-camera film screening at Clinton-Sherman AFB had been a unique event, precipitated by one or more earlier UFO incidents involving members of the 98th Bombardment Squadron, about which Harris was unaware. If this were the case, the incident described by him would not necessarily imply that a series of similar briefings, to be attended by all Air Force nuclear bomber squadrons, had been implemented in the early 1960s.

--Robert Hastings
ufohastings.com

Robert I started another thread trying to track down the full version of this photo... I know this is off topic but I figured you may have seen this before:

black_and_white_UFO_jpeg.jpg

The bigger version includes more reference points. Any ideas? I originally saw it Timothy Good's latest book.

Tks.

The following excerpt comes from Robert Hastings’ new book, UFOs and Nukes

© Copyright 2008 Robert L. Hastings. All Rights Reserved.

“Close Encounters” at Malmstrom in 1993

In an earlier chapter I reported on Combat Targeting Team member John Mills’ dramatic UFO experience at Ellsworth AFB, in December 1978. Later in his Air Force career, Mills had been transferred to Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota and, still later, transferred again to Malmstrom AFB, Montana, in June 1992. Some months after his arrival, he had what was probably his third UFO sighting. Although he remains uncertain about the identity of the aerial light he observed, subsequent events later that evening strongly suggest that it was indeed a bona fide UFO. Mills recalled,

This happened, I think, early winter of 1993, maybe January or February. I know it wasn’t much after that, because I blew out my back a short time later and ended up with a desk job. Anyway, I was driving back to Malmstrom in a ‘six pack’ crew cab with another tech sergeant. I can’t remember his name. We’d been out at Mike Flight or, maybe it was Kilo Flight, at Kilo-4, I think. It seems like Kilo was closer to Billings than Great Falls—way out there. So we took a shortcut, to make time. We were hauling ass on this dirt road and ended up coming out near Monarch. Unfortunately, before we got there, we came up on a bridge that was out and we ended up in a ditch. We spent the next few hours trying to get the crew cab out of it. But we were making routine radio checks [with our dispatcher] the whole time.

Anyway, once we were back on the road, I saw something in the sky. It was a bright light. I don’t know what it was. I thought it was a helicopter. I was saying, ‘What the hell is a chopper doing out at this time of night?’ They usually didn’t fly parts out to the sites after dark. It was considered to be too dangerous.

We both watched the light for a few minutes when, suddenly, it took a 90-degree turn. Not a sharp, angular turn, but definitely a steep bank. We thought it must be air rescue. So we kept going and finally got up to the main road that goes into Great Falls. About a quarter-mile east of Belt, we saw a road block up ahead. Cars were backed up for miles. We said, ‘Oh great! We’re going to sit here for awhile.’ So we called the dispatcher and told him that we would be arriving really late. He confirmed that he knew about the road block, but said he didn’t know what was going on.

Then he told us to switch to a different [radio] frequency, so we did. Then he said, ‘Did you guys see anything unusual while driving?’ We said, ‘Naw, we saw a chopper, or what we thought was a chopper.’ He asked us where we had seen it and we told him. Then he said, ‘Okay, we want you guys to head on up to Alpha-1.’ It was right up the road from where we were. On the way there, we got a radio call on the secure channel. It was the dispatcher again, and he started asking us about the light we saw. So, my partner repeated what he saw, and I repeated what I saw. I honestly thought it was a chopper. The dispatcher said, ‘Are you sure it was a chopper?’ We said we thought so, and described the hard, banking maneuver we saw.’ He said, ‘Okay, when the traffic clears, come on home.’ But we were never debriefed about the light, at least not officially.

When we got back to base, we found out—unofficially—that there were, uh, ‘anomalies’ all over the base. We were told that there were several ‘anomalies’ out at the missile sites. We heard that the ‘anomaly’ we had seen had come down and landed near the highway west of Belt. They had cordoned-off a zone, just before the big hill near Belt. The other road block was closer to Great Falls, about a mile further west. I don’t know who ordered it, maybe the Air Force. I didn’t see any Air Force Security Police at the roadblock, but we did see highway patrolmen. Maybe something landed there, as rumor had it, or maybe it was just an accident. I don’t know.

All of this was unofficial—the grape vine—we heard all of this back at the maintenance building. Actually, we first heard it from the guys who worked at the Vehicle Equipment Control Branch, who were helping us unload our truck, in the vehicle barn. They said they had seen things flying around the flight line that looked like balls of light, moving around in the air. They were zooming all over the place. [Because of their rapid, unpredictable movements near the runway] they were interfering with a couple of tankers that were trying to land. We were told that one tanker had diverted to Hill [AFB] and the other diverted to Minot [AFB]. At that time we had, I think, six or seven tankers stationed at the base.

According to the people who saw the balls of light, they were different sizes. Some appeared to be really small, others were maybe three-feet in diameter. Some were described as much larger than that. All of them were just zooming around the flight line, erratically, at high speed. We heard all of this that night, when we returned the vehicle. These were first-hand accounts from the people in the vehicle barn, who saw the lights. Now, later on, the rumor-mill started up, and the stories about all of this got better and better. But the first stories we heard were from the eyewitnesses who were on the flight line. They told us that one of the balls of light had even flown in the open doors of the vehicle barn.

I incredulously asked Mills, “It flew right into the barn?!” He replied,

That’s what the guy on the [vehicle] wash-rack said. He told us that a small ball of light flew in the door, flew through the building for few seconds, and flew back out. He said, at first, he’d thought that someone had thrown a softball at him—it was about the size of a softball. He watched it fly above all of the vehicles, at about 10-feet high. Then it shot back out over the flight line again.

When this guy saw it, he called out to another guy running the scheduling booth, located on the southwest corner of the building. They both saw it and went outside and watched it fly over the flight line. One of the guys said there were about six balls of light out there. The other guy said there were hundreds! Now, I don’t know, maybe the balls were moving around so fast that it just looked like hundreds. But both of the guys said that they moving all over the place, at high speed, at different altitudes. It was probably hard to judge their actual size, but they seemed to be different sizes, some small, some large—even huge. One of the guys said it reminded him of that scene in Close Encounters [of the Third Kind] where all the UFOs are swarming around, but choreographed, over the landing pad.

I asked Mills to estimate how many men in the vehicle barn had witnessed the balls of light. He paused and then said,

Oh, probably four. There were two other guys doing a load test on a Transporter Erector, which was right behind the vehicle barn and the Maintenance Building. They told us they stopped what they were doing because they thought [the softball-sized object] was ball lightning. You can’t do that kind of load test in a lightning environment.

None of those guys ever asked us why our vehicle was covered in mud, or why we were covered in mud—from being in the ditch. We figured we would have a lot of explaining to do, about why we took an unauthorized shortcut on a dirt road. But no one asked us anything. Not one question. They were all preoccupied with, I don’t know, an unexplained event, an anomaly. All I know is that those guys were definitely focused on something.

Mills then said he had later learned that at least two of the men had been asked to make written reports about the incident. “But those guys were still [at Malmstrom] when I retired in 1994, so whatever they said or wrote down was either insignificant or, maybe, so many people had seen the UFOs, [the commanders] couldn’t transfer all of the witnesses [to other bases].”

This statement was an obvious reference to Mills’ earlier experience at Ellsworth AFB, following the UFO incursions at Echo and Delta Flights, when some of the more talkative eyewitnesses were immediately and unexpectedly transferred elsewhere, presumably so they couldn’t discuss their sighting with others at the base.

I asked Mills if any of the balls of light reportedly maneuvering over the flight line had been seen near the nuclear Weapons Storage Area, which is located just east of the runway. “Not that we heard about. All the anomalies were over the flight line—the taxi way—west of the runway.”

(Some years before my interview with Mills, I had heard another account—from a former Security Policeman who was stationed at Ellsworth AFB, in 1968—regarding a small ball of light that was observed maneuvering—alternately descending and ascending—directly above one of the India Flight launch facilities.)

Mills then said that even though he and the other tech sergeant had heard that several “anomalies” had been sighted at some of Malmstrom’s missile sites that night, none of the ICBMs had gone-off alert. “We checked on that the next morning. None of the missiles went down.” Given this finding, it would seem that if the rumors of UFOs near Minuteman sites were true, they had apparently not disrupted the missiles’ operational readiness on this particular occasion.

Robert Hastings
ufohastings.com

Holy shit!

Thats quite a night... you have a possible LANDING of a UFO. Planes being DIVERTED to another base to land. And (if I may use my imagination) the possibility of intelligence gathering 'drones' checking out the base!

Robert youve more than sold me on your book at this point. I will definitely add it to my list.

Robert do you have signed copies available on your website or anything? Or doesnt even have to be signed, but I prefer to order straight from the author so you get more money.

Hi Garath,

The book is self-published and available only at my website, for the reason you yoursef mentioned. Just use the PayPal page. Shipping and Handling for U.S. orders is $4.95 USD. Unfortunately, for international orders, that becomes $18.55 USD. Sorry 'bout that, but it's out of my hands.

Thanks for your interest in my work. It is sincerely appreciated.

Robert
www.ufohastings.com

Dark Shapes Near the Grand Forks AFB Bomber Alert Area

> </O:p>
Researcher Jim Klotz brought the following Grand Forks AFB, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:State alt=
</st1:State><ST1:place w:st="on">North Dakota</ST1:place>, sighting case to my attention. The written material relating to it—including contemporary correspondence between the source and Dr. J. Allen Hynek—was originally held by the Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS). However, Klotz discovered copies of it elsewhere. <O:p></O:p>

The 1974 sighting was reported to Hynek by a then-active duty U.S. Air Force officer who requested anonymity, presumably due to his concern about potential repercussions resulting from his having filed a sensitive UFO report with a civilian research organization. In 2007, Klotz located the witness and I subsequently communicated with him. Unfortunately, he declined to be interviewed. Although the incident occurred over 30 years ago, I will honor his request for privacy. <O:p></O:p>
The sighting may be summarized as follows: At 9:09 p.m. on the evening of October 14, 1974, air force security personnel assigned to the Bomber Alert Area at Grand Forks AFB were startled to see two large, dark oval shapes hovering at low altitude in the northwestern sky. A last-quarter moon had risen in the east, providing the only available light, other than the bright security lights arranged around the alert area. Although each of the unlit objects had five small lights arrayed across its surface, the craft approached to within a quarter-mile of the alert area before being noticed.<O:p></O:p>
The Bomber Alert Area, also informally-known as “the Christmas Tree” for its configuration, was the staging area for several B-52s, all nuclear-armed and ready for rapid take-off in the event of a national emergency.<O:p></O:p>
According to the report provided to Dr. Hynek, within a three-minute period, 14 Security Police sentries, two military pilots, and a B-52 maintenance supervisor independently reported the two looming objects to their respective control locations. After hovering for two minutes, the UFOs slowly moved in tandem in a southerly direction, making a faint humming sound as they faded from view.<O:p></O:p>
The officer who reported the sighting described the craft as “saucer-like” and “solid black masses with no apparent glint or shine” on their non-reflective surfaces. The witnesses’ estimates of their diameters ranged between 50 and 75 feet, but there was a consensus that the objects were at 1500-feet in altitude.<O:p></O:p>
The report noted that there had been moderate interference on the Security Police radio network while the objects were present, similar to the interference experienced during a thunderstorm. Other communication networks on the base had experienced “varying degrees of static.”<O:p></O:p>
The officer contacted <ST1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Grand Forks</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">International</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Airport</st1:placeType></ST1:place>, but there were no inbound or outbound aircraft scheduled within 150 miles of the base during the period of the sighting. He also called the base air traffic control tower, to find out whether the UFOs had been tracked on radar, but found that the radar system had been off-line at the time. The officer also wrote that he had dispatched a Security Police patrol to search the area west of the Bomber Alert Area but it had found no ground disturbances suggestive of landing sites.<O:p></O:p>
Finally, the officer wrote, “...three K-9 German Shepherd dogs [are used] within the Weapons Storage Area, located one-half mile east of the Alert Area. That night, their handlers reported the dogs were extremely nervous and fitful, which is highly irregular for these well-trained dogs.” <O:p></O:p>
So far as is known, the UFOs had not maneuvered near or hovered over the Weapons Storage Area (WSA), which was one-half mile east of the Bomber Alert Area. At the time, the WSA stored not only the nuclear bombs used aboard the B-52s assigned to the 319th Bombardment Wing, but also the nuclear warheads—the Re-entry Vehicles, or RVs—carried by the base’s Minuteman II missiles, operated by the 321st Strategic Missile Wing. In 1994, the bomb wing was deactivated, as was the missile wing one year later, when its missile operations were transferred to Malmstrom AFB.<O:p></O:p>

--Robert Hastings
ufohastings.com

Back