• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFO Detector

Do You Own a UFO Detector?

• Yes. Would you like to take it off my hands? Make an offer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Angelo, someone did mention an app actually - need to look back and see.

It's a long time since i studied physics but i'm going to assume for these purposes that any magnetic field disturbance caused by a UFO is going to obey the inverse square law (correct me if wrong) and if so, then it would be easy enough to set off a detector at a close range but i would think unless that range was directly above you or at least within few hundred feet, you'd need something really sensitive to detect anything at a greater altitude.

Maybe when the SLV camera project comes online chris could have someone set up a field detector nearby and if anything weird is caught on camera it may set off a detector too, or not, and then you could start to find out what sort of range they have (by triangulation of position from multiple cameras)?

It's a long time since i studied physics but i'm going to assume for these purposes that any magnetic field disturbance caused by a UFO is going to obey the inverse square law (correct me if wrong) and if so, then it would be easy enough to set off a detector at a close range but i would think unless that range was directly above you or at least within few hundred feet, you'd need something really sensitive to detect anything at a greater altitude.

Yes, I image that a battery powered magnetometer serves as poor early warning for a UFO encounter. If you hear the alarm, duck.

I still say the only institutions on this planet capable of any real study of UFOs are national governments. They are the only ones with the various long range detection apparatus and communication networks that would allow for such a thing. Thousands of radar , optical, and other detection installations and hundreds of thousands of personal. The NRO for example. (ah-hem)

I'd give my eye-teeth to see a UFO! We don't need a UFO detector. We need a UFO vector-in-erer gadget. Hit the button and call in a UFO for a photo-op. Maybe a dial so you can choose between Adamski, Beam-ship, McMinnville, or Mothership. I'd buy one of those for my UFO bookshelf.

Yes the NRO and SAC at Cheyenne are the guys with the Radar reach to see what is in the lower atmosphere and indeed in low-earth orbit and above. We all know that all space junk and satellites are logged and tracked for avoidance purposes and publicly it is admitted that objects as small as several inches I think are detected. Usually when the military admits a capability of X, you can take it to the bank it is X + a decent increment that they actually have capabilities to discriminated. For instance, submarines are always capable of going deeper than is admitted.

If the NRO/SAC are tracking objects of said dimensions then they can certainly track solid object UFOs - certainly anything that is picked up by ground radar stations. I imagine above the atmosphere radar is very clear too having no atmospheric phenomena to clutter the track.

Was the term 'Fastwalkers' not coined by these agencies to denote fast moving objects of unknown origin? I would love to get a gander at their radar tapes. They have to have the good shit.

My profile pic shows a close-in defensive electric gattling gun of about 5000 rounds per minute capability but the really great thing is that the system can track up to 30 targets at a time and prioritise them (these can be travelling at mach 2 and still targeted) for protecting the ship. 3 of these 'Goalkeeper' systems arranged round an aircraft carrier (in this case a UK INVINCIBLE class) for all round protection. I have sat in the operation room looking at the targeting screen and as the gun swivels round to track incoming missiles or aircraft, it is aware of those parts of the ship 'in the way' and can fire off an awesome volly of 70mm rounds (i think) and 'switch off' firing as parts of the ship get in the way, then continue firing.
For me, the really cool part of the system is the fact the gun also tracks each round it fires and corrects as it goes to home in on the target.
It can shred a red double-decker (not don) london bus in a second or so!
Anyway, the point is that this quite old piece of kit can keep track of 30 incoming targets and all the rounds it fires too. Fully and completely cool and awesome.
I can only imagine how good orbital radar platforms are now. Dollars to doughhuts there are Gb's of data somewhere with UFO's fully logged from when they enter the field of view til they leave. I've no idea what the procedures would be for an operator seeing such stuff. Mind you, it's no doubt automated to a large degree, no doubt automatically labelling stuff that does not fit the profile of our own aircraft etc.

Any forum members have intimate knowledge of this stuff? I'm just an interested outsider with a little number of facts and a fat Sant Claus sack of conjecture!

Alright, guys. I present to you my humble design. Not only does it detect UFOs, but it identifies them too!

boxdz.png

Let's open that box.

detector.png

Ah, too bad. My last sighting was a hoax. The other paper is a list of convenient ad hominems to use against ufologists and UFO witnesses.

Any forum members have intimate knowledge of this stuff? I'm just an interested outsider with a little number of facts and a fat Sant Claus sack of conjecture!

In all my years as a UFO buff I don't recall ever reading or hearing about ex-NRO personnel ever making a statement about anything.

I do really believe they are the agency tasked with keeping tabs on UFO data. Their charter practically dictates that. What actually gets done with that data is another story however. Does the budget include money to solve the UFO enigma? With all the defense cuts being discussed where does that line item fall I wonder? Are non-threat profile UFOs simply ignored as Dr. John Alexander believes to be the case? If not, what action could they possibly be taking other than just more data gathering?

It is always the question: What is the government/whatever group actually doing regarding UFO's?
It may be just silently watching, logging reports, keeping tabs on public sightings etc. If there really is any alien tech in such hands they have to be trying hard to grasp the fundamentals - I don't think we are anywhere near figuring out anti-grav or tapping the zero point energy field but just for the energy question it must be being looked into.
Is the 'group' lets call them, actively seeking out UFO data, or just passively? Chris' SLV project could be the type of thing they are doing but with ground radar and satellites. But to what end? I imagine the group has enough images and radar measurements etc that they probably do not need any more - there would have to be some really new novel data to bring any understanding forward.
It is my opinion that governments do take UFO's seriously. To not do so would be a severe dereliction of their duty. I think the data gathered from Rendlesham went straight into the hands of the group, a one-way process if ever there was one. Unless there has been actual contact, such as the stories of the president with the meeting and dentist cover story, they are no doubt quite in the dark like the rest of us.
When governments state 'of no defence significance' - that is obviously untrue but in a way, the fact there has not been a war of the worlds scenario to date leads me to believe they may have at least a fair idea we are not in imminent danger of attack. It could just be a case of watching and waiting. Of course, if they have the notion that ET may be rolling out a long term plan, there might be some furious research into giving us (humans) at least a chance of resisting dark intentions of ET.
It is of course frustrating, this endless speculation over what the government group's role is. It will really depend on any solid information they do or do not have.

I know this though, it is hard to track objects out in space. I once met a JPL radio astronomer named Steve Ostro - he did some scientific work with Carl Sagan - and Steve was one of about 5 people in the world then (1993) who's paid work was to look for possibly dangerous near earth asteroids (NEO's). I was at a BBQ at the home of the son of the man who patented 'window envelopes' for displaying addresses through the envelope - we all use them and it must have been a tidy income. Anyway myself and Steve got talking about his work, and having just met him, he asked if I understood logarithmic graphs - I was 2nd year of Applied Physics degree so I answered in the affirmative. He then proceeded to pull a little well-worn piece of paper with a graph on it detailing numbers of NEO's of various sizes and probabilities of coming close to earth.
Science geeks eh? Keeping a little graph in his wallet for such occasions as we were having, interested informed people coming his way often enough for him to want to carry that graph!
He explained that you do not need to go to far out in space from the Earth for it to be very hard to detect NEO's of under a certain size and it was these objects he was trying to find as they are the ones who's trajectory can be easily altered by getting close to eachother etc.

Anyway, I would imagine that the NRO have the capability to look OUT into space and surely sometimes UFO's leave Earth orbit and go elsewhere, even if to the moon or mars or moon of mars (mouthful). My point is, are there any directions that such craft often go in, leading them to possibly understand destination/point of origin? If such craft exist, I doubt they permanantly stick around in Earth orbit, so where else might they go? Can their destinations be worked out? Are these destinations being worked out? Are there ideas as to where in the galaxy they might come from?
Of course all this depends on the ETH, but for me the ETH is the most likely answer to UFO's - or flying saucers if we take Stan Friedman's line on the difference between UFO's and flying saucers/alien craft - so in my opinion this must be going on to a degree. This super secrecy associated with the NRO may indeed be because of such work. Everyone who matters knows about spy satellites etc but to me it seems the NRO is even more secretive than spy satellites warrant.

Back to Steve Ostro's work then: It is important work to keep an eye on NEO's but as I mentioned, it is not an easy task, though I don't know how that has improved in 20 years. An object in the solar system is just that, be it planet, asteroid, meteor or moon or UFO.
I imagine there probably are 'motherships' - possibly these very large cigar-shaped UFO's and very possibly even bigger, something that never enters the atmosphere.
So these very large ships, if they exist, are probably large enough to be tracked by radar for a fair distance away from earth, certainly far enough away to plot a course if they do indeed follow such courses.
Is it possible that even Steve Ostro's team had picked up motherships? They probably would look just like an asteroid to a radio astronomer? I've no doubt JPL would never publicly even entertain the idea and they may not have the resolution to detect any real shape etc.
Something about Steve too - I'll never forget how he was so methodical, even in conversation, and his wife was a real hippy type. My first and only conversation with her consisted of her asking me rhetorically, 'don't you think if aliens came here, they would think us animals?'
It seemed really strange for her to seriously be talking like that, a few meters away from her JPL employee husband, who I got the impression from that while not dismissing the possibility of alien life, he did not think they were anywhere near here right now. But I do wonder if it is conversations that Steve and his wife had had.

Has anyone else seen photos taken of constructed-looking large objects, out in the solar system a bit? They seem to show very large structures, if real, they certainly do not look like some natural meteor or rock conglomerate.
The tag-lines with these photos have them down as alien mothership type craft but obviously there is no evidence to go quite there. The pics appear to be genuine pics of something, but I am no photo analyst, and certainly not of objects out in space.
Might be interesting finding out the resolution available now to radio astronomy -would we be able to 'see' craft of the order of kilometers in size?
Sadly I read online that Steve had died a few years back, quite young, leaving behind 2 daughters and the wife, all of whom I met that day. If he had still been alive I most certainly would have used my meeting from back then as a pretext to contacting him with some hypothetical questions along these lines - I am happy in the knowledge that he was the type of guy who would send you data in a heartbeat, just out of scientific sharing and enjoyment from my appreciating his work.
A real shame, his loss. He had won scientific awards, had an NEO named after him, and his team had logged a good number of possibly dangerous NEO's that we keep an eye on to this day.

It is always the question: What is the government/whatever group actually doing regarding UFO's?

... I would imagine that the NRO have the capability to look OUT into space and surely sometimes UFO's leave Earth orbit and go elsewhere, even if to the moon or mars or moon of mars (mouthful).
... I imagine there probably are 'motherships' - possibly these very large cigar-shaped UFO's and very possibly even bigger, something that never enters the atmosphere.
... So these very large ships, if they exist, are probably large enough to be tracked by radar for a fair distance away from earth, certainly far enough away to plot a course if they do indeed follow such courses.
... Has anyone else seen photos taken of constructed-looking large objects, out in the solar system a bit?

I'm not aware of the pictures mentioned. I'll have to go back and look for the links. But I'm in agreement with your opinions on what certain people with access to the high tech monitoring equipment probably know. Author Howard Blum wrote a book called Out There. In it he claims to have some insider info. He might make a good guest if he's still out there himself ( pardon that ).

So guys, during the discussion regarding a UFO detector, people have been mentioning the possiblity of an app for the same.
I was thinking more along the lines of an app that combines UFO reporting and alerting too, with the aim of informing interested people instantly when someone reports a UFO.
It may work something like the following:

An app on your iphone or smartphone could log the position of the phone owner automatically as they all seem to be capable of now anyway.
I see something in the sky I cannot explain, so I would fill in some details (mainly time and geography) in a pre-made electronic form.
These reports are collated centrally and text message (or similar) alerts would immediately go out to anyone who has requested to be informed.
It could be that anyone with the app can be alerted of any and all sightings worldwide but that may get a bit messy. Better that the initial alerts go to those who are geographically close enough to the original reported sighting so that corroboration and triangulation can take place.
It would be possilbe for anyone to read through worldwide reports just for interest/data purposes but the real driving force behind the system would be to tell people when something in their own area is happening while it is happening or as near-as .
Some of you may have heard Gene say that he was in Phoenix 97 when the lights were happening but he was indoors unaware. If he had this app I propose, he could have ran outside, camera in hand, and got a look too.

There are many sightings of UFOs that take place over a reasonable amount of time, certainly enough time for someone to report electronically and this report to get bounced back to people close enough to try and see and corroborate the sighting. Obviously, the more independant people seeing and photographing a UFO will add to the data pool and chances of working out what was seen (or not in the case of a true UFO). The differences in position will help in identifying size, altitude, speed, position, colour etc - all the parameters that help identify or not a sighting.
Mexico City 1991 is a good example in that many people were looking skyward for the eclipse and had cameras to hand. As a result, at least 7 good quality images from very different positions were filmed of the same object, which looked like a classic metallic saucer. If this app system was available back then, even more people could have seen and recorded the sighting.

This reporting/alerting system in the form of an app could be very easily made (though I am no programmer, it is common sense that it would be easy for someone with know-how). It is only a system of logging sightings geographically and reporting these to other people in the locality.
Of course everything always comes down to money. I have no idea what it takes to develop an app, how much it costs or how long it takes, but I think in the great scheme of available apps, this one would be relatively lo-tech and easy to write.

I know there are very technically-minded people on this forum and I imagine someone has more intimate knowledge of how these things can be done. I'm an ideas man!!

Just think of it. Waking up tomorrow morning to read in the newspaper or online that there was a multiple-witness sighting over your own home town the previous evening. You were online or watching TV blissfully unaware that long waited-for sighting you've alwasy wanted was within your grasp, but because no-one told you it was happening, you had no reason to go outside and look to the sky.
Same tale but with the app. You get a beep alerting you to a message from the app. 'Unknown object seen above town X performing impossible flight manouveres at near instant acceleration........' - you grab camcorder and camera-phone, call your friend to do same and go outside and experience this sighting, that had been reported only 40 seconds ago.....
I would love this to become reality. To think that you could be told in real-time of a UFO sighting near where you live? Fantastic if it is realised.

So guys, during the discussion regarding a UFO detector, people have been mentioning the possiblity of an app for the same.
I was thinking more along the lines of an app that combines UFO reporting and alerting too, with the aim of informing interested people instantly when someone reports a UFO.

I find this an interesting idea worth investigating.

Well, I got around to designing and building my UFO detector. It is really only a magnetometer based around the 1490 magnetic compass chip.

(Background for newbies: UFOs - whatever they may be - are supposed to be surrounded by strong magnetic fields. The theory, I guess, comes from close encounter reports of petrol vehicles stalling while diesel vehicles did not. It was speculated that this was because the electrical circuits to operate petrol vehicles was being interfered with by the UFO. Does anyone know if this is still the case now that all modern vehicles have complex engine-management systems? What is the data on modern petrol/diesel vehicle interference cases?)

I'll post the circuit diagram of my prototype if anyone really wants to build one.

What pricked my interest was a 1968 Flying Saucer Review article; "The Colin McCarthy UFO Detector". If you go to the link don't bother building it. There is at least one drawing error. Nevertheless, an inertia-free electronic sensor is going to be more sensitive than any compass or magnet-based device.

In 1975, Ray Stanford was director of Project Starlight International. I have a small pamphlet published by PSI showing how to make a couple of electro-mechanical UFO compass/magnets-on-a-wire detectors. You'd need a strong field to set off those things! But they were simple and could be made at home fairly easily. Anyway, the idea was that folks build these and created a network of detectors and when activated tell the PSI 'detection net coordinator'. What a great idea! Does anyone have a record of this project's findings? Does Ray read this forum? Why aren't we doing something like that now??

So... Does my UFO detector work? It certainly does! It hasn't gone off once, and there have been no UFO reports within 100 miles - as far as I know. Absolutely no false alarms!

Obviously I can't claim it detects anything other than changes in the Earth's magnetic field, but it's a fun device and presumably just as effective as the ones you can buy on ebay...

Ian

I had a UFO detector of some sort when I was a teen. Never went off either. That has to prove something — or other.

Ahhh! That's probably because you had one of the old clunky magnet-in-a-box detector things that would only go off if the UFO crashed into it!

It's all so hi-tech now Gene - no moving parts, all modern electronics...

BTW, if anyone has any info on the device in the first post in the thread, I'd love to see it. Thanks.

Ian

Delayed update: my home-made, all-electronic 'UFO detector' went off three times in one weekend in October 2014. Looks like it was related to the CMEs at the time rather than UFOs buzzing low over eastern England!

Anyway... What happened to Ray Stanford's Project Starlight International and the Project Starlight Journal? I have a small leaflet (probably from the late 1960s/early 1970s) describing the construction of two fairly crude UFO detectors for the project's members. I gives Ray Stanford as the director, and the address a PO box in Austin, Texas.

Ray is still alive, and with international internet connectivity could a similar project be re-established?

Regarding a smart phone app, on the surface this seems the way to go, but not having such a phone I have some observations:

Do they all (any?) come with built-in magnetometers - assuming this is to be the preferred detection method. But I can't see how a magnetometer will work if the detector is constant motion, as would be the case with someone carrying the device built into a phone.

Therefore I can only see such a network of devices working if they are each left undisturbed for very long periods, suggesting a stand-alone unit.

(Of course if we could study a range of UFOs, close up, it may be possible to design a phone app that would respond to their unique magnetic/electrostatic/etheric/scalar/blah-blah energy fields from one's trouser pocket! ;) )

So-called UFO detectors are available for about $50, and appear to be based on the 1490 magnetic compass chip just like mine, but there may be more suitable electronic chips available now for serious investigators...

Ian

Back