• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Vertical Plane

Hi David,
Please don't take offence but we aren't really interested in giving interviews. Sorry to do a downer. I'll ask Ken but I suspect he will give the same response I'm afraid.

The problem is that it's hard to cover the experience in a way which we are happy with and that which will also keep your public entertained. Really sorry :(

No problem, happy to answer any questions on the forum though. Enjoy the book!
Debs

Deb--first off, let me say that I am thrilled to have heard from you and I'd like to contact you off this board if that is okay. Full disclosure: I am a journalist, but any correspondence would be strictly off the record.

I think that you and Ken may want to rethink not taking David up on the interview. There is a whole army of people out here who are still obsessing over what happened in Doddleston all these years later and we would be very, very grateful for an update. Gene and David provide the best, most rational venue for this, in my opinion, although, as this is such a complex story, perhaps they could make it a longer, or two-part show to make sure the story is done some justice. This doesn't have to be the start of any kind of publicity rounds by you and Ken, but it would be a lovely thing for those of us who have spent so much time engrossed in this story.

Any more recorded evidence of Tomas accrued over the years that help you fill out the historical man?

Lisby

Debbie,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated. And put me down for a POD version of the book!

As for a Paracast interview, well this Paracast listener sincerely hopes that you and/or Ken will consider making an appearance - if not now, then at some point in the future.
David and Gene have created the planet's most thoughtful and insightful forum for open debate on the subject of the paranormal, and the Paracast audience has absolutely no need to be "entertained" as you put it.
To put it simply, the Paracast is not your traditional, lame-brained media outlet but a golden opportunity for genuine experiencers of the unusual to discuss what they went through under firm but absolutely fair questioning.
There is no better place.

OK. End of hard sell! Thanks for getting in touch, Debbie.

Hi
I can see that this forum has people discussing the paranormal in an intelligent way. It's why I was drawn to it in the first place, and I'm sure this will also be reflected in the podcasts.

The decision not to do any interviews goes back many years, many invitations and is in no way a reflection of ParaCast, who would certainly be top of the list should we ever do any. We have had some awful experiences with the media and feel very protective towards the whole thing. Intelligent debate is always welcome as both Ken and I continue to search for answers.

I shall of course mention this to Ken when I see him next however.

We have got a bit further in tracking down a real person called Tomas Harden who turns up at the right time in a place in Oxfordshire called Little Barrington and we are following this up. We never really followed the link regarding a contact calling themselves "2105" who apparently had a message for us via other people in Europe - anyone reading the book will hopefully understand why.

Thanks Loose Tea about information on this poltergeist case... good that dB found a copy of the book about it entitled The Vertical Plane at ebay... will check that out!
A very fascinating topic! :redface:

Price has gone way up. You can't get one for less than about $150 right now from amazon, though ebay has one for $70.00. I wonder what has caused the price to go up? The used book market is very much like the stock market with ups and downs. This thread is basically a year old. I wonder what has happened recently.

Having read the book recently, I can understand your reluctance to be interviewed again, Debbie. I really felt your frustration at how the whole affair was treated in light of your having become so connected with Tomas, no matter who or what he really is. Still, if you were to reconsider, I do think Gene and David would give you and the strange story the respect it deserves.

A girlfriend is reading the book now, but I'd be happy to send it on after that to anyone who wouldn't be cowed by my having an address and real name. I have no investment in holding on to it. In fact, we could pass it round about that way so that anyone else interested would only have to invest the time and cost of shipping which isn't much given that the book is paperback.

It's in good condition now, but I tried hard not to do much damage to it so it might last through a number of readings.

If anyone's interested, send me a p.m.

Hi, I read the Vertical Plane when it was first published. I used to live not far from Dodleston. Many years later I re read the book (... tho cannot check for refs as I too have had a non returned copy :mad:) . My comment regards language of the 2109 communications. They were v difficult to read circa 89 (when exactly was it published?); by comparison during my re read (about 2005) , the 2109 were almost clear. Reason: The 'cultural development' and widespread usage of - SMS / Twitter speak - which as a teacher I struggle with on a daily basis. The short succinct statements, lacking grammar and often vowels (as I recall) made by 2109 are so similar to essays I get nowadays! (SIGH)...

So if anyone is still around this thread - it is just a thought, I think this is pertinent as I can assure that I had not read text-speak nor was such widely used at the time of the events... In addition much of the language investigation was focussed on Tomas & 1546. I think this sheds new light on validity of the events.

Debbie - if you happen upon this long lost thread. Hope you / Ken are well..:shy:

Hi Giovanna,
Sorry I didn't catch your message last year - the site administration woke me up to it only today.

It is interesting how many things have developed over time; Fermats' Last Theorem being solved in our lifetime using 'another conversions' as twenty-one-zero-nine had said, the star predicted at the right coordinates and so forth. But the language development, 'twitter speak', it's not something any of us at the time had predicted nor the technology that has brought it to us - we just thought it was poor spelling, not a glance at our future! Sadly, Ken and I are of the oppinion that even if the book by Tomas was to be found, this would still not validate our experince for those not involved and, any way, validate as what exactly - we still are no closer to any answers. Things continue to unfold but what it all meant is still a mystery to us.

Both Ken and I are keeping well, many thanks!

Deb--Hello again. I'm sorry that I did not contact you when this topic was first discussed. You had said was okay for me to at the time. I'm wondering if it would still be so. After all these years I am still completely fascinated with what happened and I do get to the UK yearly, who so knows, maybe we can have a pint somewhere, sometime--somewhere in time. I've lived through some high strangeness myself, so I must say I completely agree with what you said--even if Tomas's book appears, the only proof it will provide will be to the people involved who know there is no other explanation. I think that may be the way it "supposed" to be, somehow.

You can contact me at [email protected] if you would like to. I'd love to hear from you.

Lisby

Hi Lisby
"..no other explanation" - one would be good!

I'll send you an email address you can contact me on.

dibsz

Hi Debbie. I was wondering if you had any explanation of the 'poem' written on the computer.

"True A re The NIGHTmares
Of a pErson t hat FEARs
Safe A re The BODIES Of tHe
Silent WORLD
Turn Pr etty FlowER tuRn
TOWARDS The SUN
For Y o u S HalL GroW
AND SOW
But T he FLOWer Reaches
TOo high and witHERS in
The B urning Light
G E T OU T YOU
R BR ICKs
PuSsy Ca t PUSSy Cat

Went TO LonDOn TO
Seek
FamE aND FORTUNE
Faith Must NOT Be
LOst
For ThiS Shall
Be YouR REDEEMER."

My reason for asking is that it actually makes sense to me. What doesn't quite make sense is why it's written backwards/ in reverse order. That's when it's written as is. When only the capitals are written, and words made from 'text msgs' type of writing, a whole new sentence appears. A rather creepy one at that. That too makes sense. Or, perhaps, I'm merely reading a meaning into something; as we often do.

Secondly, of all the phenomena you and Ken experienced, did you also receive any phone calls with a distinctively 'electronic' or 'synthetic' tone to the voice? Even if the conversation was of a mundane benign nature.

Thank you.

Hi Meeman
I'm pretty much in the dark as regards the 'poem' really ...I did recently think that some parts of the poem were starting to make some sort of sense in our lives, but I'm waiting to see if more transpires regarding this. As you say, one has to be very wary of finding meaning in it where there may be none. I personally could have read meaning into this many times in the past, it's pretty obscure so easy to do. Being the last message I'm also naturally always on the lookout for it meaning something! However, I would really love to see your proposed translation of it. Fancy putting it up on here for people to discuss?
Warm regards
Debs

..sorry, re phone calls: No, strangely we never received any phone calls, though I know this is an experience other people have had in other cases - EVP etc.

pps You do know that two one zero nine gave a translation to this which was at the end of the book? - which doesn't really help!!

Debbie, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

An explanation of my getting to this point and writing these words is as strange a story as the Vertical Plane book itself and would take far more than a few lines to explain. To rush to the end, I only read that 'poem' a few days ago and it sent chills down my spine as it's a pretty good record of someone's life, in reverse, before he died a few years ago; along with the death of many others, whom he mentioned in a fearful panic-attack while he was dying; ( from members of his family to some famous people around the world, and he even mentioned the banking collapses in London that we see going on now) .

I've not read the book The Vertical Plane, though I do remember something about it on TV some years ago. The number 2109 stuck in my head and for some reason, popped back in a few days ago. A day after I have received a rather odd phone call by someone who had a distinctly electronic/synthetic tone to the voice. Hence my asking.

As for 2109's explanation of the poem, I'm not sure if I read what was written though I do remember something about not letting fear over-run one's life and allow it to be made manifest. Or something along those lines. A full copy of 2109's explanation would be appreciated.

Being as it's near impossible to get a copy of this book now, would it be possible for you to send me what questions and answers you, Ken and Nick discussed with this '2109' entity/consciousness? The physics part of their responses are intriguing. The to and fro with Thomas in the 16th C. is of no real interest to me and I hadn't recalled him from the TV show at all.

With thanks.

I bought my copy of 'The Vertical Plane', after seeing an interview with the author on the local TV news, from a book shop in Manchester (on Deansgate / Cross Street?). I couldn't remember what it was called but had seen the cover on TV and, when pointed in the right direction, knew I'd purchased the right tome (there may even have been a promotional display stand).

The subject of the book cropped up yesterday (I was showing someone how to use eBook library software) so, I fished out my (original) copy (lent several times but, happily, always returned) and re-read it. This has inevitably fuelled a rekindling of my fascination with the story so, a bit of 'googling' and here I am!

Now, apart from the fact that it is marvellous to have one of (if not the) central characters aboard, so to speak, I would offer this:-

Poltergeists certainly figure in the story - the book even has a photograph of furniture piled high, on the night of 15th May 1985, 'by poltergeist'? 2109 confirm that "IT IS CORRECT FOR YOU TO ASSUME THAT THE POLTERGEIST PHENOMENA IS PRESENT IN THE COMMUNICATIONS" and go on to describe poltergeist phenomena. It is this section that had me thinking since, in the middle of it comes this:-

"IN ALL BUT THREE RECORDED CASE NO INJURIES INFLICTED BY THE SOURCE - LAST CASES OF INJURIE SUSTAINED BY A FALLING BEEM RECORDED IN 2006". The author, never a 'fan' of 'the little numbers' highlights their 'hint at the future'. The point is, it's not the future any more soooooo.......can it be verified?

A quick look at the Poltergeist article on Wikipedia does not mention any event for 2006 but then, it's been known to be wrong before!

Back