• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Ultimate Roundtable? Ask Gene and Chris

I wouldn't grant much weight to the paranormal claims of a psychotic, let alone one on psychedelics.
Neither would I, but we do know clinically that psychedelics have been used as a psychological therapeutic aid for decades upon decades, and as a method to communicate new information and valuable methodologies of understanding plant knowledge for the tribe for many more hundreds and hundreds of years.

While on mushrooms psilopsybin (whatever) I percieved an intelligence outside of my own. The colors outside of the normal spectrum that manu people report in a psychedelic experiencespoke to me telepathically saying that they (the colors which manifested visually as these little beings that just radiated happiness) were the energy that we call atomic particles. They were vibrating wildly and it seemed I was awash in their presence (and also composed of them). The best comparison that I can come up to describe the feeling of them is that feeling you get when the corners of your eyes hurt from too much squinching when you laugh really hard:p:p:p
Trippy huh? I'm agnostic as to whether it was my mind being twisted all up or whether it was something paranormal-ish.
One idea that came to mind out of this discussion and others here is a sort of Grade-B sci-fi like plot that combines themes from the movies Dark Skies, They Live, and Limitless. In fact, @Christopher O'Brien's experience sort of reminded me of the kid in Dark Skies. So imagine a plot where instead of a scientist developing black sunglasses that enables the wearer to see the alternate reality, it could be sort of a remake where a chemist, who while experimenting with psychedelics accidentally isolates a particular compound that when taken in pill form ( like in Limitless ) suddenly opens up a view on actual objective reality ( like in They Live ) that is otherwise invisible, plus adds the enhanced cognitive functions that go along with it, without all the noise associated with the impurities that primitive cultures couldn't distill out.

Our heroes would then be able to see the aliens walking among us, cloaked ships, and invisible doorways to secret lairs. In fact I like this idea so much I think maybe I'll propose it to someone as a screenplay. They've done remakes of everything else. How could this be any worse ... LOL? I think it could be a lot of fun, while at the same time imparting some of the ideas that Chris and proponents of psychedelic culture endorse in a creative way.

One predictable element that comes w/ every 'shroom experience is a kind of logos or voice that is distinctly not one's own. Every time I gobbled I knew that the voice would be there and it was. During my most psychoactive time period (high school) I worked as a ranch hand and lived on an appaloosa show horse ranch that had a small 30 head herd of cattle. Washington State is probably the most mushroom-filled part of North America.

Growing up as a kid, my family were all members of the Washington State Mycological Society and I had an early education into all aspects of fungi. And in Washington State there are more than you could possibly imagine. The family would go on mushroom hunts for Japanese Pine, chicken-of-the-woods, chanterelles, boletus, giant puffballs, portobellos, inky caps and shaggy manes, etc. I have found all kinds of amanitas, panthers, mostly, destroying angels and several other deadly varieties that could kill you after a single, small nibble. My brother and I were featured on the cover of the Washington State Mycological Society newsletter when we became the first ever in the state to ID and gather specimens of amanita muscaria that (at the time) had never been found in Washington. I remember they slowly dried in the gardening shed and sat there for years. Neither of us had the balls to nibble on them because we knew that the alkaloid was unevenly spread throughout the plant and that they were a big gamble to mess with.

I had my own patch of boomers all through high school. I'd go out each morning take care of the animals and visit my patch and listened to see if any of them called out to me. Most of the time at least one did—it was usually the biggest and loudest. ;) First period power mechanics my junior year was especially interesting... So were late summer, early morning football practices. :eek:

One idea that came to mind out of this discussion and others here is a sort of Grade-B sci-fi like plot that combines themes from the movies Dark Skies, They Live, and Limitless. In fact, @Christopher O'Brien's experience sort of reminded me of the kid in Dark Skies. So imagine a plot where instead of a scientist developing black sunglasses that enables the wearer to see the alternate reality, it could be sort of a remake where a chemist, who while experimenting with psychedelics accidentally isolates a particular compound that when taken in pill form ( like in Limitless ) suddenly opens up a view on actual objective reality ( like in They Live ) that is otherwise invisible, plus adds the enhanced cognitive functions that go along with it, without all the noise associated with the impurities that primitive cultures couldn't distill out.

Our heroes would then be able to see the aliens walking among us, cloaked ships, and invisible doorways to secret lairs. In fact I like this idea so much I think maybe I'll propose it to someone as a screenplay. They've done remakes of everything else. How could this be any worse ... LOL? I think it could be a lot of fun, while at the same time imparting some of the ideas that Chris and proponents of psychedelic culture endorse in a creative way.
Fun fact: The sunglasses in They Live were named the Hameroff glasses, as a homage to the discoverer of LSD

Enviado desde mi SM-P900 mediante Tapatalk

There are always choices in what we see
giphy.gif

When I 'plugged' myself in, I could immediately see the being react and I just knew it was made instantly happier, like a baby handed to its mother. The being started to breathe slower and head toward it's equivalent of sleep, like a child now content that the bedroom door is ajar and the hall light is on. It now felt safe and protected and in company. I had the most overwhelming sense of peace and sort of love, mixed with sadness for this unique creature destined to be lonely and always awaiting another visitor just so it could be aware of another being besides it to comfort it for a while.

I was strangely moved reading this.

I once rescued a blind kitten from a ceiling space after it had slipped down into a narrow gap between two wooden beams where the mother cat couldn't get him. The kitten was squealing incessantly for a day until I found him and then the moment he felt the warmth of my hand enclose around him he instantly went to sleep like an embryo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this also in joke of sorts in that the glasses let the wearer see the true nature of the establishment?
Absolutely :) but not really a joke ;). It's also a serious cultural statement in the form of a metaphor. As Grade-B as They Live was, it was also rather deep, and a remake could capitalize on that as much as newer and better special effects.

Last edited:
Randall, there is no point in having this conversation with you. As ridiculous as you will find this, I have always felt that when one becomes psychoactively aware, the level of "clearheadedness" goes off the scale. I have never had the quality of crystal clear insight than I have had while under the influence of psychoactive substances—especially DMT and psilocybin. This is a concept that your limited reality view will never be able to understand. Let's agree to disagree, OK? My example as stated in the episode features psychoactive awareness in some participants and others who are not under the influence as the control group. The elegance of this untried idea/approach could have tremendous value towards further understanding the phenomenon. If you can't see this, there is no point discussing it further with you.

Hypothetically, how does one get DMT? I remember taking LSD and found it very interesting. I didn't see any clockwork elves, though. I found that my mind was completely disorganized and chaotic on LSD and I had missing time spurts. Maybe DMT and psilocybin are better?

100-seeds-mimosa-pudica-shy-sensitive-plant-pink-flower-garden-grass-bulk-b4001_398455.jpg

I used to grow the sensitive plant for my kids to play with when they were younger as there's nothing like watching its instant reaction to touch. Only later did I come to understand its other properties.

The other properties don't seem to be publicly known as all I can find is stuff about the plant's reaction to touch. I would grow it just for that!

I was strangely moved reading this.

I once rescued a blind kitten from a ceiling space after it had slipped down into a narrow gap between two wooden beams where the mother cat couldn't get him. The kitten was squealing incessantly for a day until I found him and then the moment he felt the warmth of my hand enclose around him he instantly went to sleep like an embryo.

Precisely!

Back