• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Extraterrestrial Hypothesis : Fact and Fallacy

We disagree here. There are public objects, but our perception of them may vary. For example, Marie Curie did not perceive radioactivity to be dangerous, but it still killed her.

This is true for mundane events as well. For example, car accidents are quite often remembered out of sequence, colours of cars are wrong, etc. Our brains are not sequential detail storage devices.
I think we're on the same side. By public object I do not mean external objective reality i.e. radiation, i do mean our perception of said objects and how we report or describe them. While the moon is the moon it is not a public object in terms of how each individual perceiver will describe it. Everyone literally has their own privatr moon in their minds' eye so to speak, and it looks a lot like the one that others have in their heads.

And then that blue/gold dress that sparked the Internet for a while a couple years back presented everyone with the notion that seeing is a very individual event. That dress had an objective reality but for differnet perceivers they saw totally different things. There was a wonderul moment in my office standing around the screen looking at this dress and in the group we saw no less than three totally different colour variations while looking at the same image. Each contrasting viewer stood dumbfounded looking at the other, what do you mean it's not blue asked one person rather insistently? No it's clearly white said another. And then someone else piped up, is everyone here blind, that dress is clearly gold.

05405b38-0f36-45c7-a5c2-19b90b3c4996-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg

Those perceptual image drawings where we see moving patterns amongst straight lines or colours change based on the contexts of colours around them all speak to how our sensory capacities are very limited and unique to perceivers.

Last edited:
It may not be physical resources at all. It may be pure entertainment. I remember a sci fi story where they're here because our dreams are fascinating.

My point is that they are here because of their own self-interest.
I do think we need to be more divergent in our thinking about the ufo and intentionality. I like Bruce Duensing's comment regarding the ufo as an invitation to travel as across decades sightings appear to be just ahead of our own technologies and what is being seen is an invitation to explore the nature of travel through the air. Sightings where objects morph, combine, disappear etc. may be opportunities for humanity to consider relationships between energy and matter.

I love Greg Bishop's notion that the ufo is a cosmic art project. What better way to stimulate human thought and development than to inspire us to think differently. If they were here for our stuff they could take it all away in a moment so there's obviously something much more indifferent or curious taking place.

Constance. As you know there are critiques of all philosophical positions and theories. In exploring conscious studies his and some of the biological panosychists make a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure of the purpoae you are making regarding these random posters - are these your thoughts as well? Should i be embarrassed or sonething...

I don't see why you should be embarrassed by the critiques of Hoffman at the links I posted. I posted those responses because reductive and eliminativist 'models' of consciousness including Hoffman's have not been capable of either accounting for or effacing the hard problem of consciousness that Chalmers foregrounded in the 90s, or of accounting for/understanding the complexity of consciousness as described by numerous philosophers and scientists participating in the contemporary interdisciplinary field of consciousness studies.

Some reductive neuroscientists and other adherents of computational hypotheses concerning the nature of consciousness have responded positively to Hoffman's ideas and conjectures. You support Hoffman's ideas and conjectures for reasons of your own, and perhaps some others involved in seeking a single source/origin/explanation of all paranormal experiences also find Hoffman's hypothesis to be persuasive. I don't for a number of reasons that are articulated in the critiques I've linked and in other responses to Hoffman's 'model'.

I don't see why you should be embarrassed by the critiques of Hoffman at the links I posted. I posted those responses because reductive and eliminativist 'models' of consciousness including Hoffman's have not been capable of either accounting for or effacing the hard problem of consciousness that Chalmers foregrounded in the 90s, or of accounting for/understanding the complexity of consciousness as described by numerous philosophers and scientists participating in the contemporary interdisciplinary field of consciousness studies.

Some reductive neuroscientists and other adherents of computational hypotheses concerning the nature of consciousness have responded positively to Hoffman's ideas and conjectures. You support Hoffman's ideas and conjectures for reasons of your own, and perhaps some others involved in seeking a single source/origin/explanation of all paranormal experiences also find Hoffman's hypothesis to be persuasive. I don't for a number of reasons that are articulated in the critiques I've linked and in other responses to Hoffman's 'model'.
Well to each their own then. I suspect the how's and why's of consciousness will continue to elude and will simply be debate. However, the conscious agent model is the only one I've seen that allows for the potential of paranormal experiences in a very practical manner. If you've got other models, outside of Hammeroff, that leave open the door for paranormal reality please share.

It may not be physical resources at all. It may be pure entertainment. I remember a sci fi story where they're here because our dreams are fascinating.

In my view, we are not capable of knowing the range of 'alien' motivations that might have led to our species' by now widespread sense that our planet is being studied by intelligent beings from elsewhere in the galaxy or beyond. Your sci fi story reminds me of another one, by an Argentinian writer, which I read about in an article more than ten years ago. (I haven't been able to track that work down and thus do not know whether it was a short story or a novel.) What struck me in the description of that fictional work was that one 'alien' visiting Argentina repeatedly suffered deep physical and psychic pain whenever he overheard music performed by either a particular human or other humans in the vicinity he was visiting. It was as if, despite excruciating pain, he could not resist the experience of listening to this music.

As I see it, organic/biological evolution of living species elsewhere in the universe must involve the development of awareness, emotions, consciousness, and intelligence [the emergence of mind] if life on our planet resembles life on other planets. The Sasselov paper I linked a while back contributes to the expectation that the origin of life in chemical processes and interactions makes it likely that life resembles life in numerous respects. In situations where advanced lifeforms intentionally efface/replace themselves with robotic artificial intelligence, all bets are likely off concerning any assumed significant comparisons between advanced ETs and humans at our stage of evolution. But I think it's likely that many ETs have not replaced themselves with machines, and thus might be like us in many respects including desires for understanding of the nature of being itself and particularly of lived being.

On earth, lived being as we recognize it in the evolution of earth species and as we experience it involves the inheritance of dependence on and attachment to one another, to others in general (both human and animal), to empathy, ethical and moral thought and behavior, and capacities for spirituality. Some of the ETs that might be visiting and studying our planet and its human expressions of capable life -- especially constructive social and ethical progress of which we have been only very partially capable -- might well feel empathy for us and also deep concern for our shortcomings and failures. They might value life in general. If so, these ET species might well attempt to instruct us about the destructive impulses we express and enact and to inform us that we are on the path to destroying our planetary ecology. They might also be alarmed at the possibility that we might spread our destructive impulses beyond our own planet, leading to further degradation and destruction of life.

Many people interested in but not well-enough informed about the countless personal interactions reported between humans and ETs will scoff at this line of thinking, ridiculing it as a fantasy about 'space brothers'. All I can say in response is that it is possible, given the variety of ufo-related experiences that constitute the partial body of information we have access to, that there might be some ET species visiting earth for more than 'self-interested' purposes. We are a very long way from glimpsing, let alone knowing, the full range and variety of the character of technologically advanced species originating elsewhere and exploring planets like earth where a younger species makes its faltering way toward its own obliteration.

Constance ,
Humanity will overcome these growing pains with technology even though horrors of wars, famine and terror a virus upon humanity. Our solar system has much to offer humanity seeking new frontier as NASA ( other space agencies which are growing ) suggests and regarding ETH interaction with humans no doubt keep happening long after we all have left this planet.

There have been many reports of UFOs taking various things, from electricity to human tissue. Dunno about about evidence for an entertainment motive.

Of course.

As I see it, organic/biological evolution of living species elsewhere in the universe must involve the development of awareness, emotions, consciousness, and intelligence [the emergence of mind] if life on our planet resembles life on other planets.

Highly likely as life requires earthlike conditions.

If so, these ET species might well attempt to instruct us about the destructive impulses we express and enact and to inform us that we are on the path to destroying our planetary ecology. They might also be alarmed at the possibility that we might spread our destructive impulses beyond our own planet, leading to further degradation and destruction of life.

There is no shortage of reported cases in which such messages were given.

there might be some ET species visiting earth for more than 'self-interested' purposes.

Some ETs have been altruistic. They seem to be exceptions, though.

We are a very long way from glimpsing, let alone knowing, the full range and variety of the character of technologically advanced species originating elsewhere and exploring planets like earth where a younger species makes its faltering way toward its own obliteration.

I don't think we'll destroy ourselves or our planet. In terms of appearance and behavior, ET visitors seem very diverse but I suspect much of this diversity isn't genuine.

Last edited:
Constance ,
Humanity will overcome these growing pains with technology even though horrors of wars, famine and terror a virus upon humanity.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as 'growing pains', blowfish. Would you clarify that? Many people today believe that technology will save us, but I see no reason to believe that.

It's important to make a distinction between perception and reality. The claim that everyone literally has a private moon in their minds eye is wrong. They literally have a private perception, The moon remains the moon, It's properties don't change.

Reality does not need perception, It was what it was long before humans or any other observers came into existence .

To date, we have explored less than five percent of the ocean. ... 95 percent of this realm remains unexplored, unseen by human eyes.

Its raining on you right now, But you don't perceive this reality.

Enigmatic for many years, cosmic rays are now known to be not rays at all, but particles, the nuclei of atoms, raining down continually on the earth, where they can be detected throughout the atmosphere and sometimes even thousands of feet underground

They are a reality you simply don't perceive with your biological sensory array.

Perception doesn't shape reality, It shapes how we see it and that's all.

Now to the assertion that the ETH hasn't given us the answers and then should be discarded while we explore other options.

Those options have been on the table for years, Simulated universe , Crypto terrestrials Etc Etc.
And they haven't yielded any better results.

Thus the ETH cannot be eliminated on that basis, And remains given that it draws on an existing model that we know is happening, The most likely candidate for an explanation.

In my view, we are not capable of knowing the range of 'alien' motivations that might have led to our species' by now widespread sense that our planet is being studied by intelligent beings from elsewhere in the galaxy or beyond. Your sci fi story reminds me of another one, by an Argentinian writer, which I read about in an article more than ten years ago. (I haven't been able to track that work down and thus do not know whether it was a short story or a novel.) What struck me in the description of that fictional work was that one 'alien' visiting Argentina repeatedly suffered deep physical and psychic pain whenever he overheard music performed by either a particular human or other humans in the vicinity he was visiting. It was as if, despite excruciating pain, he could not resist the experience of listening to this music.

As I see it, organic/biological evolution of living species elsewhere in the universe must involve the development of awareness, emotions, consciousness, and intelligence [the emergence of mind] if life on our planet resembles life on other planets. The Sasselov paper I linked a while back contributes to the expectation that the origin of life in chemical processes and interactions makes it likely that life resembles life in numerous respects. In situations where advanced lifeforms intentionally efface/replace themselves with robotic artificial intelligence, all bets are likely off concerning any assumed significant comparisons between advanced ETs and humans at our stage of evolution. But I think it's likely that many ETs have not replaced themselves with machines, and thus might be like us in many respects including desires for understanding of the nature of being itself and particularly of lived being.

On earth, lived being as we recognize it in the evolution of earth species and as we experience it involves the inheritance of dependence on and attachment to one another, to others in general (both human and animal), to empathy, ethical and moral thought and behavior, and capacities for spirituality. Some of the ETs that might be visiting and studying our planet and its human expressions of capable life -- especially constructive social and ethical progress of which we have been only very partially capable -- might well feel empathy for us and also deep concern for our shortcomings and failures. They might value life in general. If so, these ET species might well attempt to instruct us about the destructive impulses we express and enact and to inform us that we are on the path to destroying our planetary ecology. They might also be alarmed at the possibility that we might spread our destructive impulses beyond our own planet, leading to further degradation and destruction of life.

Many people interested in but not well-enough informed about the countless personal interactions reported between humans and ETs will scoff at this line of thinking, ridiculing it as a fantasy about 'space brothers'. All I can say in response is that it is possible, given the variety of ufo-related experiences that constitute the partial body of information we have access to, that there might be some ET species visiting earth for more than 'self-interested' purposes. We are a very long way from glimpsing, let alone knowing, the full range and variety of the character of technologically advanced species originating elsewhere and exploring planets like earth where a younger species makes its faltering way toward its own obliteration.
They may be here for reasons that are positive to us as a side benefit, but I doubt that they’re here solely for our benefit.

Enlightened self interest is what it is.

They may be here for reasons that are positive to us as a side benefit, but I doubt that they’re here solely for our benefit.

Enlightened self interest is what it is.

And we must also consider multiple society's and thus multiple motivations.

Again drawing on the local model:
Gorillas.
Hunted as bushmeat by locals
Entertainment for wildlife tourists and documentary makers
Seen as worth preserving for conservation reasons by the WWF.

And for many they are of no real significance at all, a minor curiosity at best.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as 'growing pains', blowfish. Would you clarify that? Many people today believe that technology will save us, but I see no reason to believe that.
I was referring to your comments regarding current state of the World which has always moved in and out of natural disaters which impact World species. In addition, the impact humanity has affected the landscape for good or bad depending your political viewpoint which science which has some of its foundations in religion has since its consception. Yes 'growing pains and interference from nature in civilisation "technology" developement , Two papers on this regarding intrepretation of
http://www.konradlorenzhausaltenberg.at/about/Eisenberg1972.pdf

On the ongoing debate about ETH and why can't we have both ?

Would this exsit in a demsional World ?

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.07844.pdf

Maybe the Dr.Micho Kaku theory of forms of Civilisations move in and out of demensions as they developement progress with technology into
A.I.
Stellivore extraterrestrials? Binary stars as living systems - ScienceDirect

Last edited:
It's important to make a distinction between perception and reality. The claim that everyone literally has a private moon in their minds eye is wrong. They literally have a private perception, The moon remains the moon, It's properties don't change.

Reality does not need perception, It was what it was long before humans or any other observers came into existence .

To date, we have explored less than five percent of the ocean. ... 95 percent of this realm remains unexplored, unseen by human eyes.

Its raining on you right now, But you don't perceive this reality.

Enigmatic for many years, cosmic rays are now known to be not rays at all, but particles, the nuclei of atoms, raining down continually on the earth, where they can be detected throughout the atmosphere and sometimes even thousands of feet underground

They are a reality you simply don't perceive with your biological sensory array.

Perception doesn't shape reality, It shapes how we see it and that's all.

Now to the assertion that the ETH hasn't given us the answers and then should be discarded while we explore other options.

Those options have been on the table for years, Simulated universe , Crypto terrestrials Etc Etc.

Thus the ETH cannot be eliminated on that basis, And remains given that it draws on an existing model that we know is happening, The most likely candidate for an explanation.
Regarding perception and our experience of reality you've said nothing different than me. External objective reality exists but we perceive what we do inside us. And that is the only reality we know aside from the amendments we have made with our tools to extend our awareness to different facets of reality like cosmic rays.

What the Co-creation Hypothesis proposes includes a more detailed examination of the mechanics of seeing given that the history of the phenomenon is rooted in a witness report, amd also because of that witness primacy, explore the nature of the witness given they are still here and the ufo is long gone. We need to spend more time exploring the impact of their experience, what were the precursors to their experience and what was the nature of their "set and setting" that may have contributed to their experience.

So not to abandon the ETH altogther, but to pursue this other option because of how it attends to the high strange component of close encounter events and as the ETH has yet to provide any answers on the basic fundamental questions of the phenomenon. This approach is untried territory and it is not just the other half of the equation but the prime mover of the ufo narrative as we know it.

How could we not explore the perceiver of the event.

And yes, we all have our individual moon in our mind's eye, as defined by our perceptions of the moon. We do not have access to objective reality due to our sensory limits and variations from perceiver to perceiver. We can not see identically. We see similarly and sometimes we see the same things very differently and some see things where others see nothing. Perception of the ufo, especially given the dream like logic of close encounter cases, needs closer inspection imho. At least you've got something to study. Better than guesswork no?

Well to each their own then. I suspect the how's and why's of consciousness will continue to elude and will simply be debate[d?].

If you believe the question of what consciousness is can never be resolved, how do you find it possible to select one hypothesis over all the others being discussed in the field?
In fact, considerable progress has been made in integrating the contributions of neuroscience with the contributions of phenomenology to arrive at a deeper understanding of the relation of consciousness to brain processes.

However, the conscious agent model is the only one I've seen that allows for the potential of paranormal experiences in a very practical manner.

I'd be interested in hearing how Hoffman's hypothesis does that, if it does. There are, by the way, a number of other approaches to consciousness that do recognize the reality of paranormal experiences and abilities in humans and contextualize them in detail.

If you've got other models, outside of Hammeroff, that leave open the door for paranormal reality please share.

As said above, there are a considerable number of consciousness researchers who closely study paranormal and psychical experiences, expanding the subject matter of consciousness where the 'hard' sciences have generally restricted it. For example, see Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century by Edward Kelly and Emily Williams Kelly, with chapters by additional paranormal researchers.

Last edited:
I was referring to your comments regarding current state of the World which has always moved in and out of natural disaters which impact World species. In addition, the impact humanity has affected the landscape for good or bad depending your political viewpoint which science which has some of its foundations in religion has since its consception. Yes 'growing pains and interference from nature in civilisation "technology" developement , Two papers on this regarding intrepretation of
http://www.konradlorenzhausaltenberg.at/about/Eisenberg1972.pdf

On the ongoing debate about ETH and why can't we have both ?

Would this exsit in a demsional World ?

The phrase that stood out for me most clearly in your post is this one: "Yes 'growing pains and interference from nature in civilisation "technology" development," and I'm still not sure I understand it. Is it your view that 'nature' interferes with the advancement of earth civilization toward further technologization?

You also seem to see our species as being victimized by 'natural disasters' but not by disasters of our own making.

As I recall you wrote in your previous post to me that 'technology will save us from ourselves', a belief that I do not share.

I'll read the texts you linked to see whether I'm persuaded by arguments and theories presented there.

However, the conscious agent model is the only one I've seen that allows for the potential of paranormal experiences in a very practical manner. If you've got other models, outside of Hammeroff, that leave open the door for paranormal reality please share.
This is a deductive fallacy; namely, "beginning with a conclusion." You're indicating here that a paranormal explanation is a forgone conclusion, and thereby filtering out any explanations that don't conform to that conclusion. That's the basis, if not the definition, of a religious ideology.

I think it’s illogical to favor “paranormal” explanations of the ufo phenomenon over scientific explanations.

Look at it this way: 500+ years ago we were faced with several inexplicable phenomena in the sky; meteors, lightning, tornadoes and waterspouts, scattered reports of ball lightning, the occasional lunar and solar eclipses, and perhaps even ufos from time to time. The only explanations available at that time invoked paranormal “conscious agents” such as God, angels, devils, perhaps djinn, etc.

And in every case that we’ve solved through science – astronomy, meteorology, physics and plasma physics - none of them have turned out to be paranormal/supernatural in nature.

“Paranormal” phenomena are simply phenomena that science hasn’t conclusively explained yet.

Think about the untold thousands of mysteries that have confronted humanity, which science has very successfully and indisputably resolved so far: we now have logical, causal, and clear phenomenological explanations for at least 99.99% of our observations.

So it seems irrational to conclude that “this last .01% will be different – this time it’ll turn out that a supernatural conscious agent is at work here” rather than to expect that a perfectly sensible, logical explanation that conforms to our broader scientific understanding of the universe will ultimately prevail.

Imagine this: a clever but primitive human in the distant past, say, ancient Babylon, witnesses a modern Ferrari speeding down a dirt mule trail, stop, and then take off again over the mountains.

Would he/she be completely incapable of making any rational sense of this sighting? Having seen the chariots of that era, our witness might reason that this device is some kind of chariot; it had wheels, and somebody riding inside of it wearing strange clothes. Its propulsion mechanism would be a real mystery, and its ability to generate the enormous energy required to accelerate from a dead stop to a mind-boggling 50mph in just a few seconds – certainly the fastest mule couldn’t accelerate that fast.

Our confounded primitive observer might therefore conclude that this chariot had arrived from a more advanced civilization, and be right.

So the viewpoint that I’ve heard a lot recently - that the technology of a civilization thousands of years ahead of us would be so completely imponderable to our hapless primitive that they’d experience some kind of hallucinatory shock that would make them see something much more familiar – perhaps a chariot drawn by several mules rather than the single-mule-drawn chariots that they know about at that time, doesn’t fly with me.

Sure, our witness might call it a “chariot” because that’s the closest term within his/her experience, but I would expect the description to be fairly accurate: “it was as red as fire, rode on four wheels, moved faster than the fastest mule ever and yet could stop and start on a dime, and it exhaled a smoke-like plume from a shiny metal tube in the rear.”

It’s not even a leap of logic to consider that we’re in the same position as that primitive Babylonian – even Enrico Fermi expected us to observe the arrival of intelligent extraterrestrial life fairly regularly, when he asked the question “where is everybody?” It appears that the only error in his logic was in his dismissal of all of the eyewitness reports and radar and trace evidence cases which were all around him when he raised that question in 1950.

Indeed, but I find the premise itself to be baffling - basically some people are arguing that:

"The correct explanation x time = a proven solution. Ergo, since time has elapsed and the ETH remains unproven, then it must be an incorrect explanation."

But it doesn't work like that. The real process goes like this:

The correct explanation x rigorous scientific investigation = a proven solution.

Progress isn't a spectator sport - it's earned through a lot of dedicated scientific efforts by trained professionals utilizing the appropriate scientific instruments. And we've simply never had a proper public scientific effort into the ufo phenomenon, so it's irrational to expect the puzzle to be solved without that effort.

But I'd bet a bottle of my favorite champagne that once a genuine scientific effort is made, like Chris' ufo observatory project collecting a range of physical data, that we'll find out that the sightings of what appear to be solid technological objects performing acrobatic maneuvers in the sky, will turn out to be solid technological objects performing acrobatic maneuvers in the sky.

Last edited:
Exactly,
We don't need to invoke a supernatural explanation for the high strangeness, the "paranormal" aspects that seem to come with some sightings.

And again the local model provides a template for what might be happening.

US Air Force, New World Vistas: Air and Space Power for the 21st Century – Ancillary Volume, Scientific Advisory Board (USAF), Washington, DC, Document #19960618040, 1996, pp. 89-90. EPI402.

Prior to the mid-21st century, there will be a virtual explosion of knowledge in the field of neuroscience. We will have achieved a clear understanding of how the human brain works, how it really controls the various functions of the body, and how it can be manipulated (both positively and negatively). One can envision the development of electromagnetic energy sources, the output of which can be,

• pulsed, shaped, and focused
  • that can couple with the human body in a fashion that will allow one to prevent voluntary muscular movements
  • control emotions (and thus actions)
  • produce sleep
  • transmit suggestions
  • interfere with both short-term and long-term memory
  • produce an experience set
  • delete an experience set
There is no reason why a technological explanation wont suffice as an answer to that aspect.

And we must also consider multiple society's and thus multiple motivations.

Again drawing on the local model:
Gorillas.
Hunted as bushmeat by locals
Entertainment for wildlife tourists and documentary makers
Seen as worth preserving for conservation reasons by the WWF.

And for many they are of no real significance at all, a minor curiosity at best.
One might also consider that what drives our economy today did not exist 20 years ago.

What drives their economies might be even more inscrutable. It would therefore be unproductive to speculate, or assign credence to one hypothesis or another based on their behaviour.

In other words, the fact that they are interested in dirt, rocks, flowers, and human beings does not necessarily mean anything at all that we understand. To assign *causation* to their motivation for being here based on their behaviour might be a big mistake.

Correlation is not causation after all.

Consider the following: Zorg from Omicron Persei 8 visits our system, and witnesses an astronaut bringing a soccer ball into NEO.

He might then consider it some kind of sport, or some kind of stupid satellite, or that we're not on the ISS for scientific reasons at all. Because he doesn't understand the context of it:
Soccer Ball Recovered from Space Shuttle Challenger Flies to the Space

We come from a culture which informs many biases, which are mostly myths and fictions we have invented so our society can function. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the majority of human endeavours or our approach to science or economics.

What theirs is, who the hell knows.

The upshot of all this is that if somebody thinks they're not alien scientists because they poke at dirt and people over extended periods of time, my answer would be that they're confusing correlation with causation.

If you believe the question of what consciousness is can never be resolved, how do you find it possible to select one hypothesis over all the others being discussed in the field?
In fact, considerable progress has been made in integrating the contributions of neuroscience with the contributions of phenomenology to arrive at a deeper understanding of the relation of consciousness to brain processes.

I'd be interested in hearing how Hoffman's hypothesis does that, if it does. There are, by the way, a number of other approaches to consciousness that do recognize the reality of paranormal experiences and abilities in humans and contextualize them in detail.

As said above, there are a considerable number of consciousness researchers who closely study paranormal and psychical experiences, expanding the subject matter of consciousness where the 'hard' sciences have generally restricted it. For example, see Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century by Edward Kelly and Emily Williams Kelly, with chapters by additional paranormal researchers.
Consciousness has been philosophical for the longest time and now finally biology is entering into the picture. Now we can talk about how perception and memory work and I stop there. Wading into definitions of how consciousness works I suspect will continue to be a quagmire even as our tools demonstrate more detailed functionality in the brain.

I like Hoffman's theories around perception as an evolutionary event because it points to how a significant chunk of objective reality is beyond our senses, and then I postulate how different set and setting scenarios may cause us to see more or less of reality as we experience it. I'm very taken by the high strange aspects of close encounter spaces because it seems that reality gets stretched or distorted in significant ways. Why is this happening and is it a function of our brain chemistry in combination with an external agent? So I'm also interested in articles regarding brain science and traumatic experiences.

The other part of Hoffman that I take away is his definition of reality as a network of conscious agents interacting with each other as they all sign out their nature to perceivers. Watch how the table signs out its "tableness" as it sits on the floor in the room with other conscious agents on top of itself in the shape of a fruit basket. His theory makes an allowance for conscious agents that the human sensory system can not perceive but may be there....by conscious agents, by the way, he does not mean pansychism. Not all conscious agents are conscious in his theory. But I wonder then if set and setting (which may or may not include external agents) might collaborate in certain situations to make a perceiver have an experience that is defined as paranormal.

He has a number of talks from the non-duality philosophy series on YouTube, Ted talks and a great number of published articles that outline the various facets of his theories. I don't need him to provide a full explanaion of consciousness for me to use different aspects of his theories that both support and help to develop my own paranormal model.

Thanks for the book reference. I will check it out.

Back