• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Extraterrestrial Hypothesis : Fact and Fallacy

Ok, I'll try to be relaxed about my response but there is no way you can possibly make any anthropocentric conclusions or comparisons between what happened here on Earth to any other organized culture from another planet. That's just nonsensical. Alien means alien and there are no assumptions around organization, language or intention. You do so from the vantage point of being a human being. And even what that means is something we're not to clear on given the devestation we've wreaked on this planet with our tech. How can we even begin to make assumptions about motive, purpose or intention.

Any intelligent spacefaring civilization must be rational--or else it wouldn't have progressed-- hence comprehensible, with motives we can understand. On earth there have been many examples of homoplasy, and examples of widely separated cultures developing in similar ways independently (government, agriculture, construction projects, war, metallurgy etc). As I wrote before, experience argues that earthlike conditions are the prerequisite for habitability. It's reasonable to assume Earthlike conditions would lead to similar evolutionary outcomes--biologically and culturally. Of course to a considerable degree the phenomenon confirms this.

Almost all we claim through witness reports of supposed aliens on earth are obviously projections of what we think aliens woukd get up to.

But many entities have been seen collecting biological samples, and not just from abductees. They're apparently studying our world, just like astronauts collected lunar samples for scientists here to study. In other words, perfectly rational activity and exactly what would be expected of ET visitors--in some cases.

We don't even know for a fact it's aliens visiting us. It's still a thesis. Nothing more.

Sure, again, as far as we laymen know, it's just a thesis. But a great many unearthly beings have been seen associated with flying craft that go up; some have breathing apparatus. The ETH may have some issues--compliments of the phenomenon itself--but remains far and away the best explanation for the UFO phenomenon.

There is nothing rational about high strangeness - it is irrational by definition and speaks purely to the witness experience.

It's purpose is very rational--to prevent any firm conclusions as to the nature of our visitors, to keep lay people confused and guessing...You yourself attest to the efficacy of ET methods (lol).

Jacobs is categorically ridiculous and has nothing to offer except lessons around how not to exploit witnesses.

Your opinion.

Again, the scale of what a crashed alien craft would in fact be the single biggest event in human history on this planet. It can't be hidden. It tells us that it hasn't happened yet. There's no way you could keep the lid on such an event.

Highly naive. The government has a strong incentive to cover it up; for one thing, the public reaction could be highly unpredictable and ruinous...
It would be a simple matter to take wreckage and bodies and stash them away in some secret government facility, and intimidate witnesses into remaining silent.
They may not be able to ensure that nobody talks. Obviously some people did or we wouldn't be discussing this. But a few leaks--or perhaps outright misinformation--is a far cry from official disclosure.

The best we came up with before was elves and faeries and now it's aliens from space. What it is we know not and probably never will as it's beyond us....

We're not the same now as we were in medieval times. Modern science and rationality are far better able to discern the truth about something. To say we'll never understand something is intellectual defeatism.

If ET reality is true and the number of visits that have taken place are to be believed then surely by now we would have witnessed countless technological craft flying in outer space by now or at least pausing in our solar system but where are they? No where to be seen. They're not in outer space. They are in our space.

If memory serves, no meteorite was ever observed approaching Earth until it burned up in our atmosphere. And of course it's highly naive to assume advanced ET methods of travel would allow something to be seen approaching us. See some of Thomas Morrison's posts; a recent one mentioned the possibility of extremely rapid travel. Something superluminal by definition can't be seen prior to arrival.

Ok I get that perspective and why it's a logical human thing to say. However I think we can expand our notions of what's going on by not limiting it to these simple definitions of distinct hypotheses. Advanced life forms didn't have to evolve here to be here. Advanced life forms don't have to intersect with our senses all the time. By way of analogy consider the many life forms that are outside of us and us as intelligent purveyor of all we see don't bother to interact with them except when we squash them. Now imagine other lifeforms for whom we can not see nor interact with. It's not another dimension. It's just beyond our capacities. And their reality is beyond our own symbolic version of reality that we use to explain existence.

The best we came up with before was elves and faeries and now it's aliens from space. What it is we know not and probably never will as it's beyond us but we do like to project our narrative conceptions upon the paranormal experiences people have had. Parsimonious, yes, but it's all a matter of perspective. Even your own suggests otherwise.

This phenomenon is not rooted in the narrative we keep pushing onto it. That stripped down tale of aliens in flying saucers is a B-movie from the 50's and it's far stranger than that. To acknowledge the full spectrum of human experience of ufos is to enter uncharted waters....it is Ultima Thule and it's very strange.

I use nuts and bolts btw, not to be dismissive but to acknowledge that commonplace ETH slang that promotes the notion that alien lifeform are in technological modes of transport visiting us. Whether made of glass or spiderweb it's still a ship.

For me that narrative is what we project onto what we think is possible. It doesn't have to be interdimensional....it just may always be there, just beyond our senses which were designed only for our own survival and thriving, not to intersect with life forms who may not need, consume or create with materials the way we do. If ya wanna call that interdimensional you can but it just may be beyond our frequencies of perception except in certain situations. ETH has fewer steps to the answer but the phenomenon is surreal and seems to me to require so many more steps.

If ET reality is true and the number of visits that have taken place are to be believed then surely by now we would have witnessed countless technological craft flying in outer space by now or at least pausing in our solar system but where are they? No where to be seen. They're not in outer space. They are in our space.

You’re assuming they’re scientists doing what we’d be doing.

I’m not supposing an intent - I’m hypothesizing possibilities based on simplicity. Your hypothesis inherently supposed some kind of dualism, which has never had any evidence of being true. It’s just a variant of the ‘dimensional’ hypothesis as far as parsimony is concerned.

I’m also not implying that other alternatives shouldn’t be explored, just that they are more irrational based on current knowledge than the ETH.

You’re assuming they’re scientists doing what we’d be doing.

I’m not supposing an intent - I’m hypothesizing possibilities based on simplicity. Your hypothesis inherently supposed some kind of dualism, which has never had any evidence of being true. It’s just a variant of the ‘dimensional’ hypothesis as far as parsimony is concerned.

I’m also not implying that other alternatives shouldn’t be explored, just that they are more irrational based on current knowledge than the ETH.
Well hopefully we will be able to hash that out over drinks one day soon. But I do strongly feel that the phenomenon is enirely interwoven with those who are doing the perceiving and what's been perceived so far is irrational in action (how many soil samples are needed? And what kind of advanced species with interstellar travel capacities needs to send down lifeforms to bother collecting those kazillions of soil samples anyways - it's ludicrous) and in appearance (see the many examples listed above - routinely ships behave like ghosts, or may merge or divide - see the case of Dr. X) leaving a very non sensical taste in my mouth. I think they/ do defy our senses and while it may not be a direct line the way the ETH provides I do feel strongly the phenomenon is extremely complex, beyond our sensory capacities and suggest something far more bizarre is at work than aliens on a sample collection mission. Even listening to The Paracast routinely makes us aware that the ETH is insufficient. What they do makes no sense to me anyways and it seems to have stymied many of the seasoned luminaries in the field who have retreated to exploring the phenomenological aspects of ufos.

Current knowledge tells us our sensory capacities are entirely limited and it strikes me that as witnesses are at the heart of what we know about the phemomenon that the rational thing to do is spend more time studying those who have had experiences instead of hanging on to a theory that has told us zilch about it. How rational is that?

Merry go round on the anti-ETH theory and not suprised with the most contentsious subject to affect humanity. Are we alone , most likey not and as most of us agree whatever the intelligence is we just can't reliy on perception managment by true belivers. Instead, rational thinking with acdemic research which Paracast encourages. The current debate of NASA suggesting 20 years is rather long no doubt they will find some forms already of intelligent life in next 10 years. Artifical Intelligence in moving a extreme pace and humanity will notice in the next five years.

Is there life out there? It may be ‘next door’. ROSS 128b excites

Advanced Music Mailing

Also found this quite a shocker and reminds me of the super soldiers BS being spewed by some of the true belivers. The Troll Smearing Roy Moore’s Accuser Stole a Dead Navy SEAL’s Identity

Last edited:
But I do strongly feel that the phenomenon is enirely interwoven with those who are doing the perceiving and what's been perceived so far is irrational in action (how many soil samples are needed? And what kind of advanced species with interstellar travel capacities needs to send down lifeforms to bother collecting those kazillions of soil samples anyways -

Samples of all kinds of things--plants, animals, water...Btw these may be altered chemically year by year due to acid rain and other pollutants.

and in appearance (see the many examples listed above - routinely ships behave like ghosts, or may merge or divide - see the case of Dr. X) leaving a very non sensical taste in my mouth.

Many "ships" could be just holographic projections.

I think they/ do defy our senses and while it may not be a direct line the way the ETH provides I do feel strongly the phenomenon is extremely complex, beyond our sensory capacities

Complex certainly, in the sense that some of its behavior is genuine the rest deceptive. But beyond our sensory capacity??! If that were true there would be no phenomenon.

...and it strikes me that as witnesses are at the heart of what we know about the phemomenon that the rational thing to do is spend more time studying those who have had experiences

Of course they've studied them. Witnesses tend to be respectable, intelligent and often accomplished, including policemen, soldiers, teachers, businessmen, pilots, farmers even astronauts. Furthermore, there are plenty of physical trace evidence/radar cases; it's clearly not just "in our heads."

Samples of all kinds of things--plants, animals, water...Btw these may be altered chemically year by year due to acid rain and other pollutants.

Many "ships" could be just holographic projections.

Complex certainly, in the sense that some of its behavior is genuine the rest deceptive. But beyond our sensory capacity??! If that were true there would be no phenomenon.

Of course they've studied them. Witnesses tend to be respectable, intelligent and often accomplished, including policemen, soldiers, teachers, businessmen, pilots, farmers even astronauts. Furthermore, there are plenty of physical trace evidence/radar cases; it's clearly not just "in our heads."
All of reality is just on our heads. The experience of consciousness is a complex event based primarily on sense perceptions that get converted into a virtual reality inside our heads and each individual reality is unique to the perceiver. There is no such thing as a public object and truly all our individual perceptions belong to us alone. The only way we share reality is through our various forms of communication as we try to explain one version of virtual reality to another. We have no direct link to external spaces and we have set limits of external reality based on the limitations of our senses. So yes it's very interesting as to why anomalous events are perceived in the first place and why in the ways that they are. Is there a threshold or unique set of circumstances that make paranormal experiences happen?

By studying the witness I don't mean their resume. I mean long term studies of specifically those witnesses we call "repeaters" and those witnesses who experience concurrent phenomenon associated with say a ufo sighting for example that us followed by experiences of ghosts. I'm talking about a life investigation and longterm work with people regarding the impact of their experience and who they were prior to the experience.

So given the sheer volume of cases we have to ask why is it there are conflicts in all witness testimony, and not just ufos, I mean everything - people looking at the same event often see very different things and some don't see anything at all. This doesn't even begin to get into the complexity of how memory works, how it's stored, erased and changed upon retelling. We should also ask why isn't everyone seeing paranormal phenomenon all the time. Is there a "set and setting" framework that helps to define the circumstance for paranormal events and in studying witnesses in depth what may we learn about how their life situation may be a contributing factor to the witness event.

As for projections. ..etc. ...again you are going down the road that they can do whatever they want with their technology and if they can, then just what exactly is the limit of how they can manipulate energy and matter? Just where exactly do you want to draw that line that defines the capacities of an advanced, post biological, interstellar travelling species? Do you really think that aliens in suits collecting soil samples is the kinda thing an advanced species gets up to - that's a human narrative from flying saucer movies. If there's any projection going on it's human beings projecting their version of space travel onto an unknown phenomenon. The idea of coming down here on a ship to collect samples by hand is ludicrous at best. Similarly, when witnesses report these giant ships shining lights on the ground just what exactly is going on there. As Bruce Duensing well noted this is the equivalent of shining a giant flashlight onto the ground. Do you really think that is advanced technology? Just whose benefit us that for or is that the narrative that gets constructed in the wutness' head because that's how they need to make sense of reality when witnessing something surreal and paranormal?

Again by all means continue to explore what could be happening in outer space but it all sounds like guess work about a huge unknown whereas the witness is here in front of us, unlike the ETH which is literally a construction in our heads.

Regarding trace evidence: the majority of trace evidence is an assemblage of discontinuous pieces of evidence arranged to suit a narrative. The place where I saw a light touch down on the forest is right where I find broken branches and disturbed soil the next day. I even test soil samples and they seem to have oddities. I want to say this all makes sense and build a ufo ETH narrative because that's what makes sense to me. But it really doesn't - none of that chain can be connected together: the branches was a bear the day before, soil sample readings may be due to interactions of vegetation unique to thst area....we want to make a narrative about aliens from space and the script is easy to write including talking about their propulsion. But we have proof of none of it. The really exceptional trace evidence pieces we have are very unique but we know little about the cause Everyone thinks the history of cases of radar and trace evidence is so overwhelming coming out of myriads of databases with no set rigorous approach to defining them and often when interesting cases are dug into mundanity prevails. We should not make assumptions of certainty when it comes to the history of ufo data. Even an information scientist like Vallee will say the data collected so far is mostly useless.

Well hopefully we will be able to hash that out over drinks one day soon. But I do strongly feel that the phenomenon is enirely interwoven with those who are doing the perceiving and what's been perceived so far is irrational in action (how many soil samples are needed? And what kind of advanced species with interstellar travel capacities needs to send down lifeforms to bother collecting those kazillions of soil samples anyways - it's ludicrous) and in appearance (see the many examples listed above - routinely ships behave like ghosts, or may merge or divide - see the case of Dr. X) leaving a very non sensical taste in my mouth. I think they/ do defy our senses and while it may not be a direct line the way the ETH provides I do feel strongly the phenomenon is extremely complex, beyond our sensory capacities and suggest something far more bizarre is at work than aliens on a sample collection mission. Even listening to The Paracast routinely makes us aware that the ETH is insufficient. What they do makes no sense to me anyways and it seems to have stymied many of the seasoned luminaries in the field who have retreated to exploring the phenomenological aspects of ufos.

Current knowledge tells us our sensory capacities are entirely limited and it strikes me that as witnesses are at the heart of what we know about the phemomenon that the rational thing to do is spend more time studying those who have had experiences instead of hanging on to a theory that has told us zilch about it. How rational is that?
For me, the most rational explanation for why they are here would be economics.

Here’s why. Economics describes almost every behaviour of every living organism - in terms of cost/benefit, reproductive success, resource gathering, etc. Even science - because science gives the ability to occupy more niches, exploit more resources, and have more successful babies.

So if they’re anything like us, they are here for economic reasons. By this I don’t mean ‘money.’

They are here to exploit something. Whether that’s us, or natural resources, or something else we don’t understand - they’re here to exploit something. Whether that’s in our best interests or not is up for debate, but if they’re here, they’re here to get some benefit to them. Whether that’s in our best interest, or neutral, or bad for us is in question. However, the theatrical partial secrecy is a clue.

Nanotechnology and AI neatly provides a possibility for encounters like Dr X’s. I think it also explains why there’s so many different kinds of objects - they may not be manufactured, they may just be grown or assembled in-situ to do whatever they need done at the moment. And the occupants may be the same thing. The intelligence may be embedded in the substrate of both, and fluidly move at will.

All of reality is just on our heads.
Verifiably incorrect. If a car runs you over, you're dead whether you believe in the car or not.

The experience of consciousness is a complex event based primarily on sense perceptions that get converted into a virtual reality inside our heads and each individual reality is unique to the perceiver.
This is a contradiction to your previous statement. Our experience of reality is indeed subjective, but that doesn't mean there is no objectivity - just that we have no way of directly experiencing it.

There is no such thing as a public object and truly all our individual perceptions belong to us alone. The only way we share reality is through our various forms of communication as we try to explain one version of virtual reality to another. We have no direct link to external spaces and we have set limits of external reality based on the limitations of our senses. So yes it's very interesting as to why anomalous events are perceived in the first place and why in the ways that they are. Is there a threshold or unique set of circumstances that make paranormal experiences happen?

Consider the following: I see a ball. I can describe it's shape, colour, weight, and texture. I bring in a number of other people who also describe similar features. I then put it in front of an imaging AI system that describes it's shape and colour. I weigh it on a scale.

If all things correlate, it would be irrational to think that the ball only exists in my mind. The ball is there, and I can either verify my interpretation of sensory information with some level of accuracy or not. This accuracy can be increased through the use of tools like language, machines, and external validation.

It's quite a bit of arm waiving to get from 'we live in a subjective reality' to 'it's all happening in our heads.'

Verifiably incorrect. If a car runs you over, you're dead whether you believe in the car or not.

This is a contradiction to your previous statement. Our experience of reality is indeed subjective, but that doesn't mean there is no objectivity - just that we have no way of directly experiencing it.

Consider the following: I see a ball. I can describe it's shape, colour, weight, and texture. I bring in a number of other people who also describe similar features. I then put it in front of an imaging AI system that describes it's shape and colour. I weigh it on a scale.

If all things correlate, it would be irrational to think that the ball only exists in my mind. The ball is there, and I can either verify my interpretation of sensory information with some level of accuracy or not. This accuracy can be increased through the use of tools like language, machines, and external validation.

It's quite a bit of arm waiving to get from 'we live in a subjective reality' to 'it's all happening in our heads.'
I never said objective reality is in our heads but our own individual experience of reality is unique to each perceiver. And it is a virtual version of reality that we see in our minds or have the experience of seeing manufactured for us in our heads. Objective reality is not something we can come close to thanks to the limitations of what we are able to sense. Our body evolved to experience the parts of reality we need to survive. Other organisms get the sense perceptions they need to survive. There's lots happening in objective reality we will simply never know, though we amend this possibility with our tools.

As for public objects - they don't really exist. With something as simple as a ball as described we certainly have the experience that all witnesses are seeing something very simialr but it's still unique to the perceiver just like the white/gold dress that appears blue to different perceivers. The ball is also still unique to the perceiver.

In more complex witness events like a shooting we see witnesses time and time and again tell different stories. With something more complex like seeing a ufo the stories also vary.

We definitely experience reality on very personal subjective levels.

Again, we can imagine better. What is the optimum goal of our tools but to free us of waste and our mortality. What detectable technology would a truly advanced species have on display? Are you thinking camouflaged mining operations? My goodness, an advanced species is not going to have evidence of technology as there could be no waste, no factories, and as Mike often likes to promote, no biology. And so a post biological intelligence needs no ships to sustain their non-existant bodies. They are the ship.
For someone who balks at the simple idea of extraterrestrial life-forms visiting our planet in ships (or as artificially intelligent ships, as the case may be), you certainly seem comfortable jumping to a lot of fairly radical conclusions. This paragraph is fraught with them. For one thing, there are obviously thousands if not millions of valuable purposes for tools and technology, beyond “freeing us from waste and our mortality.” Such as transport, entertainment, edification, communication, pleasure, experimentation, destruction, construction, preservation – the list goes on and on. And as our own technology has advanced, our civilization has generated far more waste and factories and infrastructure – which are all highly visible – so this presumption that an advanced civilization and its inhabitants would be essentially invisible/undetectable is a baseless and irrational leap.

So what are all these bizarre humaoids that people keep seeing: the robots with noxious gas being emitted out of their mouths or those giant catfish with legs, the Pascagoula surreal creature, giant eyeballs, beer can shaped little bots on tripods, the giant crystal encrusted giants with heat emanating from their bodies, average looking humans climbing out of giant tanks to say hello and call us by name, or those honeycombed spider web like ships, and the green mini skin divers of Emilcin eating brittle icicle like food with their ravens floating in suspended animation on the walls.....I could go on and on.... It's not as simple as nuts and bolts ships flying from star to star to dig up some more bleepin soil samples and grope our genitals. It's much more bizarre than that, and the ETH just don't cut it.
You don’t seem to be parsing the data at all, which is strange. I have no idea if any of those examples actually happened as you described, yet you seem to assume that every wild report ever made is factually true. No wonder the ETH seems insufficient to you – if I demanded an explanation that encompassed ufos, ghosts, goblins, demons, and Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, I’d be banging my head against the wall too. The ETH only attempts to explain the class of reports that we know to be real: objects seen in the sky that vastly outperform our own technology. When you go beyond that, you have to rely on individual cases, which is a bad idea – any single case can be a hoax, or the perceptions of a lunatic, or an unrelated phenomenon, or any number of things. But when we focus on the data set involving physical devices that emit light and appear on radar and occasionally land, then we have some hope of getting somewhere without founding our conclusions on any one potentially unreliable data point.

BTW it's often the proponents of the ETH who believe their tech can manipulate our cameras, speak inside our heads, make us believe things about them.....it's a snake chasing its tail. What are the assumed limits of their magic technology? Are we also going to pose limits on their tech, or because we know x amount about space travel we're going to confidently say that they're simply at x+z and, therefore, we can easily comprehend an alien mind?
The ETH makes no assumptions about alien psychology, so no. It simply states that the best explanation for sightings of highly advanced craft in our skies that clearly defy inertia, is the arrival of devices from civilizations that have exceeded our current technological capabilities.

The level of sophistication of any individual civilization that could have achieved interstellar spaceflight will be unique to that civilization. Some will be somewhat more technologically/scientifically advanced than we are, but many will be substantially more advanced than we are. We can anticipate many of the possible advancements by examining our own physical theories, but many advancements are unforeseeable. One of the foreseeable advancements is interstellar spaceflight capability, which is why we have the ETH.

Btw Thomas I truly mean no insult to you or your person but I will attack ideas. Our ideas do not define our person. Our personhood is the totality of our real life interactions with the people in our lives that are important to us. What we do here is just banter, good discussion and throwing around ideas. I know I can be sardonic but I'm just here for the debate. It's not personal and no one should take it as a personal rhetorical attack. Different beliefs will produce different perspectives. You believe in physics as humans have discovered it so far and I believe in the limitations of human senses and what else may be possible in lieu of a distinct lack of confirmation for myself that the alien narrative exists. It appears that way but I wonder how much of that belongs to our own projections vs. what else may be happening. And I like to imagine...
Same here, Robert – I welcome a vigorous debate; in fact I insist upon it. My only objection is to purely rhetorical and dishonest debate tactics that seek to undermine the credibility of the person without any basis in reason, rather than simply debating the merit of their arguments. Phrases like “people who believe in space aliens,” which has been used here at The Paracast from time to time, clearly fall into that category of purely rhetorical and utterly vapid, dishonest debating tactic.

I’m a bit perplexed that on one hand you seem to accept a great many reports at face value, and acknowledge the multiple independent eyewitness and radar and trace evidence cases as real, and yet you don’t seem to perceive that class of event as a reasonable, if slightly tentative, confirmation of the ETH. Usually people who object to the ETH dismiss all of the data, no matter how physical/compelling in nature. You seem to accept the data and yet dismiss the ETH anyway. I can’t really understand that. Because that data set offers more than our fleeting perceptions – it offers some actual hard data, like landing impressions and radar returns and sometimes even radiation readings.

Current knowledge tells us our sensory capacities are entirely limited and it strikes me that as witnesses are at the heart of what we know about the phemomenon that the rational thing to do is spend more time studying those who have had experiences [emphasis added] instead of hanging on to a theory that has told us zilch about it. How rational is that?
If I shared my sighting experience with somebody and their response was “I need to spend more time studying you,” I’d probably either laugh in their face or punch them in the nose. Eyewitnesses are already mocked/ridiculed/marginalized by our entire society for simply reporting their experiences as accurately as possible. Turning the microscope on them. instead of the event they’re reporting, will only achieve one thing: they’ll stop reporting to you. We need to collect more and better data, not stigmatize the witnesses as some kind of lab rats. It boggles my mind when respected ufo investigators like Chris seriously make this suggestion, because it’s so obviously a terrible idea to alienate the witness by making such a suggestion. Something strange is happening in our skies, not in our heads.

By far the most difficult thing to understand about an intelligent alien being from a substantially more advanced civilization, is going to be their motives, ambitions, etc. That stuff is contextual, and since we haven’t achieved their level of technological sophistication, we have no basis for rational analysis. Imagine if we landed a helicopter near some remote tribal village that had never encountered modern technology before. They’d see us yapping away on our cell phones and sending/receiving text messages, perhaps Commander Jack would do a little break dancing for our amusement, someone else would take samples of plant life and soil to run pollution studies or to find new mold species, somebody might shoot a rabbit with a rifle and bring it back to the ship for dinner, and somebody else would release a weather balloon to monitor the wind and other atmospheric conditions. All of that stuff would sail right over their heads, and yet to us, make perfect sense. You could drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the aims and behaviors of a more advanced and totally alien civilization, but that doesn’t make those aims and behaviors irrational or "ludicrous."

All of reality is just on our heads.
No that’s not even remotely true. All of our perceptions are ultimately in our heads, but clearly reality exists independently of us.

By studying the witness I don't mean their resume. I mean long term studies of specifically those witnesses we call "repeaters" and those witnesses who experience concurrent phenomenon associated with say a ufo sighting for example that us followed by experiences of ghosts. I'm talking about a life investigation and longterm work with people regarding the impact of their experience and who they were prior to the experience.
Understanding the impact of a sighting on somebody’s mind is an interesting area, but that’s one for the psychologists to unravel, imo - we have trained professionals for that sort of thing. Witnesses want to understand what they’ve seen – they don’t want to be studied by armchair ufologist-psychologists. Shifting the focus from the event to the witness would be a ruinous long-term strategy, imo.

As for projections. ..etc. ...again you are going down the road that they can do whatever they want with their technology and if they can, then just what exactly is the limit of how they can manipulate energy and matter?
We already employ all kinds of sophisticated camouflage, and a wide range of audiovisual projection technologies exist today (including the targeted remote induction of audio via microwaves) , so it’s not a leap to think that kind of thing would be in the toolkit of a more advanced technological civilization. And we’re now making progress in the field of materials engineering of the quantum wavefunction of aggregate matter to achieve new and unusual physical properties, so it’s not difficult to anticipate advancements like invisibility cloaks, and even devices that can change shape, size, and color through the application of electrical currents and so forth. Rather than balking at the formidable challenge of understanding the capabilities of a more advanced technology than our own, I would argue that conducting the most thorough scientific analyses of such aspects of these reports is likely to be the most practical and valuable work that we could ever do – because even the process of actively seeking a physical explanation for such effects can lead directly to our own ability to reproduce them.

Just where exactly do you want to draw that line that defines the capacities of an advanced, post biological, interstellar travelling species? Do you really think that aliens in suits collecting soil samples is the kinda thing an advanced species gets up to - that's a human narrative from flying saucer movies.
I think it’s wise to recall that modern humans and ancient Neanderthals both have to crap. Sure, some things that a more advanced alien species will do, will be inscrutable to us – but not everything. Taking environmental samples, for example – how else are you going to do a thorough analysis of an environment, if not by taking samples? There is no substitute for having a chunk of whatever you want to study, in the lab where you can control the analysis conditions and bring your microscopes and soforth to bear upon it. I don’t see that ever changing, because it will always be easier to analyze things in the lab, than trying to do it from space. If we go to another living planet one day, we’ll certainly collect a huge variety of samples of all kinds, and study them for decades in our laboratories. Why would an aliens species not do this also? Of course they would – they’re alien, not stupid. Imagine what we ourselves could learn by simply studying the microorganisms in an alien soil sample – one cup of dirt from another living alien world could revolutionize the fields of biology and genetics, and perhaps open up entirely new forms of medical treatment, just for starters. It's smart to bear in mind that biology is still the most advanced form of technology in the known universe - we can't even come close to engineering something as commonplace as a fruit fly. So naturally an alien species would be very interested in our biosphere.

If there's any projection going on it's human beings projecting their version of space travel onto an unknown phenomenon. The idea of coming down here on a ship to collect samples by hand is ludicrous at best. Similarly, when witnesses report these giant ships shining lights on the ground just what exactly is going on there. As Bruce Duensing well noted this is the equivalent of shining a giant flashlight onto the ground. Do you really think that is advanced technology? Just whose benefit us that for or is that the narrative that gets constructed in the wutness' head because that's how they need to make sense of reality when witnessing something surreal and paranormal?
Uhm… our helicopters and planes shine lights on the ground all the time, and every time they land. You know that, right? So why would it be perplexing for another civilization to do it also?

Again by all means continue to explore what could be happening in outer space but it all sounds like guess work about a huge unknown whereas the witness is here in front of us, unlike the ETH which is literally a construction in our heads.
I think we can learn a lot more by collecting and analyzing scientific data on anomalous advanced devices in our skies, than we can by studying Joe the Farmer just because he happened to look up and witness such a thing. Happily, it sounds like Chris is about to start collecting some great scientific data, so maybe we’ll finally get somewhere.

And the entire edifice of scientific understanding is “literally a construction in our heads." So that’s an odd objection to raise against the ETH – we wouldn’t have gotten very far if it weren’t for the ideas/theories/etc that exist in our heads. In fact, and perhaps oddly – the capacity to fashion such constructs within our minds allowed a fairly slow, weak, essentially clawless naked ape to rise to the top of the global food chain. So I’m a big fan of mental constructs, and the process of testing them and refining them, which we call “science."

Regarding trace evidence: the majority of trace evidence is an assemblage of discontinuous pieces of evidence arranged to suit a narrative. The place where I saw a light touch down on the forest is right where I find broken branches and disturbed soil the next day. I even test soil samples and they seem to have oddities. I want to say this all makes sense and build a ufo ETH narrative because that's what makes sense to me. But it really doesn't - none of that chain can be connected together: the branches was a bear the day before, soil sample readings may be due to interactions of vegetation unique to thst area....we want to make a narrative about aliens from space and the script is easy to write including talking about their propulsion. But we have proof of none of it. The really exceptional trace evidence pieces we have are very unique but we know little about the cause Everyone thinks the history of cases of radar and trace evidence is so overwhelming coming out of myriads of databases with no set rigorous approach to defining them and often when interesting cases are dug into mundanity prevails. We should not make assumptions of certainty when it comes to the history of ufo data. Even an information scientist like Vallee will say the data collected so far is mostly useless.
Honestly I think it’s kind of tragic that you had the rare privilege of seeing an alien device hovering right over your head, but you’ve managed to debunk all of the physical evidence, and even your own direct sensory apprehension of it. I can certainly understand that such an experience would be extremely alarming and deeply paradigm challenging – my own comparatively modest long-range sighting changed the course of my life dramatically. But your experience appears to have completely blown your mind, to the extent that you now seriously question your own sense perceptions and the basic logical foundation of your relationship to physical reality. This isn’t a personal attack by the way, simply an observation.

In any case, I do have to agree with Vallee on that point– yes, the data collected so far is *mostly* useless from a scientific standpoint. Although it does indicate the presence of physical, advanced craft of some kind, so that’s something.

However, I think that you’re completely missing the significance of the unique and consistent descriptions of the performance characteristics of the anomalous craft observed in the sky. That’s easy to do, unless you happen to be a lifelong physics addict with a remarkable sighting experience, so I’ll go over it briefly.

Every form of lift/propulsion/maneuvering capability known to physics today, operates on the principle of Newton’s third law of motion (which we all know as the law of action-reaction, aka the conservation of momentum). Except for one.

And the defining characteristic of the vast majority of sighting reports is the absence of any detectable reaction mechanism: we observe no fiery rocket propellant, or high downward winds like we see with helicopters and airplanes. These devices can hover silently right over your head without generating any wind or emitting any observable matter. But even more startlingly, they can lurch from a stationary position to a speed of thousands of miles per hour, and execute hairpin changes in direction at such speeds, without slowing down or banking in the process. These behaviors clearly and indisputably violate the law of inertia.

There is only one concept in the entire canon of physics today that not only conforms to these specific and unique performance characteristics, but explicitly predicts them. And that’s the principle of gravitational field propulsion, which was first formally described within the context of the general theory of relativity in 1994 by Miguel Alcubierre, although Robert L. Forward had made substantial theoretical strides in that direction previously. Using that principle permits a craft to execute all of the key distinctive maneuvers that we commonly find in ufo sightings reports, because a device employing that concept is always in a state of free-fall, so there are no g-forces whatsoever, regardless of the magnitude of the accelerations. And it’s rudimentary to calculate that any reaction method of producing such accelerations would be devastating, akin to a bullet from a high-power rifle reflecting off of a solid block of steel. And of course, without emitting an equal magnitude of momentum in the opposite direction, which we’ve never observed in these reports, any acceleration at all would be impossible. Unless it’s using a dipolar gravitational field as the propulsion mechanism.

But it gets even more interesting, because the same formal description of gravitational field propulsion that explains all of the observed flight characteristics of these objects, also explains why the speed of light is not a limit for such a system: by falling along a curvature of spacetime, rather than forcing the object through spacetime like we do with rockets, we bypass the constraints of the special theory of relativity. So in principle, a device that can hover silently and virtually instantaneously accelerate to a speed of thousands of miles per hour, could in theory arrive at the Earth from several light-years’ distance in an arbitrarily short time interval as measured both aboard the craft and also by Eulerian (unaccelerated) observers. One could, according to the theory, travel to Alpha Centauri and back within the span of an hour or less.

So the only theoretical explanatory model for the distinctive performance characteristics exhibited in the bulk of ufo sightings, also just happens to point to the validity of the ETH.

In science we find that these kinds of independently determined coincidences are usually highly significant. So what we have here is a physically viable working hypothesis for the operation of these craft, and their unearthly origin, derived directly from the general theory of relativity. And now that we have a concise mathematical formulation of this propulsion mechanism, it’s all but certain that if we continue to progress technologically, we too will eventually produce this type of propulsion mechanism in the lab, and ultimately within commercial industry. So one day, we humans will be the source of extraterrestrial craft operating in the skies of distant planets that have their own primitive and warmongering civilizations. And when that happens, do you think that we'll land in the center of their village and extend the hand of friendship to the ignorant and murderous savages that we find there, or do you think we'll go about our business as quietly and quickly as possible to avert any potential hostilities, fear, and confusion? I know what I'd do, and it doesn't involve a diplomatic meet-and-greet or a student exchange program.

Last edited:
As for public objects - they don't really exist.

So you believe that such things as hurricanes, tsunamis, famines, genocide, nuclear weapons don't exist in reality? That the Nazi death camps in four or five European countries weren't real 'public objects' as well as sites of vastly different kinds of experiences for those within their walls and those outside them? That at some point when most of us no longer think about what happened in those camps, those gas chambers, we can think their reality away by replacing them with new stuff to 'project into our personal virtual realities'?

Actual lived experience in the world is many things, but one thing it is not is 'virtual'.

For someone who balks at the simple idea of extraterrestrial life-forms visiting our planet in ships (or as artificially intelligent ships, as the case may be), you certainly seem comfortable jumping to a lot of fairly radical conclusions. This paragraph is fraught with them. For one thing, there are obviously thousands if not millions of valuable purposes for tools and technology, beyond “freeing us from waste and our mortality.” Such as transport, entertainment, edification, communication, pleasure, experimentation, destruction, construction, preservation – the list goes on and on. And as our own technology has advanced, our civilization has generated far more waste and factories and infrastructure – which are all highly visible – so this presumption that an advanced civilization and its inhabitants would be essentially invisible/undetectable is a baseless and irrational leap.

You don’t seem to be parsing the data at all, which is strange. I have no idea if any of those examples actually happened as you described, yet you seem to assume that every wild report ever made is factually true. No wonder the ETH seems insufficient to you – if I demanded an explanation that encompassed ufos, ghosts, goblins, demons, and Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, I’d be banging my head against the wall too. The ETH only attempts to explain the class of reports that we know to be real: objects seen in the sky that vastly outperform our own technology. When you go beyond that, you have to rely on individual cases, which is a bad idea – any single case can be a hoax, or the perceptions of a lunatic, or an unrelated phenomenon, or any number of things. But when we focus on the data set involving physical devices that emit light and appear on radar and occasionally land, then we have some hope of getting somewhere without founding our conclusions on any one potentially unreliable data point.

The ETH makes no assumptions about alien psychology, so no. It simply states that the best explanation for sightings of highly advanced craft in our skies that clearly defy inertia, is the arrival of devices from civilizations that have exceeded our current technological capabilities.

The level of sophistication of any individual civilization that could have achieved interstellar spaceflight will be unique to that civilization. Some will be somewhat more technologically/scientifically advanced than we are, but many will be substantially more advanced than we are. We can anticipate many of the possible advancements by examining our own physical theories, but many advancements are unforeseeable. One of the foreseeable advancements is interstellar spaceflight capability, which is why we have the ETH.

Same here, Robert – I welcome a vigorous debate; in fact I insist upon it. My only objection is to purely rhetorical and dishonest debate tactics that seek to undermine the credibility of the person without any basis in reason, rather than simply debating the merit of their arguments. Phrases like “people who believe in space aliens,” which has been used here at The Paracast from time to time, clearly fall into that category of purely rhetorical and utterly vapid, dishonest debating tactic.

I’m a bit perplexed that on one hand you seem to accept a great many reports at face value, and acknowledge the multiple independent eyewitness and radar and trace evidence cases as real, and yet you don’t seem to perceive that class of event as a reasonable, if slightly tentative, confirmation of the ETH. Usually people who object to the ETH dismiss all of the data, no matter how physical/compelling in nature. You seem to accept the data and yet dismiss the ETH anyway. I can’t really understand that. Because that data set offers more than our fleeting perceptions – it offers some actual hard data, like landing impressions and radar returns and sometimes even radiation readings.

If I shared my sighting experience with somebody and their response was “I need to spend more time studying you,” I’d probably either laugh in their face or punch them in the nose. Eyewitnesses are already mocked/ridiculed/marginalized by our entire society for simply reporting their experiences as accurately as possible. Turning the microscope on them. instead of the event they’re reporting, will only achieve one thing: they’ll stop reporting to you. We need to collect more and better data, not stigmatize the witnesses as some kind of lab rats. It boggles my mind when respected ufo investigators like Chris seriously make this suggestion, because it’s so obviously a terrible idea to alienate the witness by making such a suggestion. Something strange is happening in our skies, not in our heads.

By far the most difficult thing to understand about an intelligent alien being from a substantially more advanced civilization, is going to be their motives, ambitions, etc. That stuff is contextual, and since we haven’t achieved their level of technological sophistication, we have no basis for rational analysis. Imagine if we landed a helicopter near some remote tribal village that had never encountered modern technology before. They’d see us yapping away on our cell phones and sending/receiving text messages, perhaps Commander Jack would do a little break dancing for our amusement, someone else would take samples of plant life and soil to run pollution studies or to find new mold species, somebody might shoot a rabbit with a rifle and bring it back to the ship for dinner, and somebody else would release a weather balloon to monitor the wind and other atmospheric conditions. All of that stuff would sail right over their heads, and yet to us, make perfect sense. You could drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the aims and behaviors of a more advanced and totally alien civilization, but that doesn’t make those aims and behaviors irrational or "ludicrous."

No that’s not even remotely true. All of our perceptions are ultimately in our heads, but clearly reality exists independently of us.

Understanding the impact of a sighting on somebody’s mind is an interesting area, but that’s one for the psychologists to unravel, imo - we have trained professionals for that sort of thing. Witnesses want to understand what they’ve seen – they don’t want to be studied by armchair ufologist-psychologists. Shifting the focus from the event to the witness would be a ruinous long-term strategy, imo.

We already employ all kinds of sophisticated camouflage, and a wide range of audiovisual projection technologies exist today (including the targeted remote induction of audio via microwaves) , so it’s not a leap to think that kind of thing would be in the toolkit of a more advanced technological civilization. And we’re now making progress in the field of materials engineering of the quantum wavefunction of aggregate matter to achieve new and unusual physical properties, so it’s not difficult to anticipate advancements like invisibility cloaks, and even devices that can change shape, size, and color through the application of electrical currents and so forth. Rather than balking at the formidable challenge of understanding the capabilities of a more advanced technology than our own, I would argue that conducting the most thorough scientific analyses of such aspects of these reports is likely to be the most practical and valuable work that we could ever do – because even the process of actively seeking a physical explanation for such things can lead directly to our own ability to reproduce such effects.

I think it’s wise to recall that modern humans and ancient Neanderthals both have to crap. Sure, some things that a more advanced alien species will do, will be inscrutable to us – but not everything. Taking environmental samples, for example – how else are you going to do a thorough analysis of an environment, if not by taking samples? There is no substitute for having a chunk of whatever you want to study, in the lab where you can control the analysis conditions and bring your microscopes and soforth to bear upon it. I don’t see that ever changing, because it will always be easier to analyze things in the lab, than trying to do it from space. If we go to another living planet one day, we’ll certainly collect a huge variety of samples of all kinds, and study them for decades in our laboratories. Why would an aliens species not do this also? Of course they would – they’re alien, not stupid. Imagine what we ourselves could learn by simply studying the microorganisms in an alien soil sample – one cup of dirt from another living alien world could revolutionize the fields of biology and genetics, and perhaps open up entirely new forms of medical treatment, just for starters. It's smart to bear in mind that biology is still the most advanced form of technology in the known universe - we can't even come close to engineering something as commonplace as a fruit fly. So naturally an alien species would be very interested in our biosphere.

Uhm… our helicopters and planes shine lights on the ground all the time, and every time they land. You know that, right? So why would it be perplexing for another civilization to do it also?

I think we can learn a lot more by collecting and analyzing scientific data on anomalous advanced devices in our skies, than we can by studying Joe the Farmer just because he happened to look up and witness such a thing. Happily, it sounds like Chris is about to start collecting some great scientific data, so maybe we’ll finally get somewhere.

And the entire edifice of scientific understanding is “literally a construction in our heads." So that’s an odd objection to raise against the ETH – we wouldn’t have gotten very far if it weren’t for the ideas/theories/etc that exist in our heads. In fact, and perhaps oddly – the capacity to fashion such constructs within our minds allowed a fairly slow, weak, essentially clawless naked ape to rise to the top of the global food chain. So I’m a big fan of mental constructs, and the process of testing them and refining them, which we call “science."

Honestly I think it’s kind of tragic that you had the rare privilege of seeing an alien device hovering right over your head, but you’ve managed to debunk all of the physical evidence, and even your own direct sensory apprehension of it. I can certainly understand that such an experience would be extremely alarming and deeply paradigm challenging – my own comparatively modest long-range sighting changed the course of my life dramatically. But your experience appears to have completely blown your mind, to the extent that you now seriously question your own sense perceptions and the basic logical foundation of your relationship to physical reality. This isn’t a personal attack by the way, simply an observation.

In any case, I do have to agree with Vallee on that point– yes, the data collected so far is *mostly* useless from a scientific standpoint. Although it does indicate the presence of physical, advanced craft of some kind, so that’s something.

However, I think that you’re completely missing the significance of the unique and consistent descriptions of the performance characteristics of the anomalous craft observed in the sky. That’s easy to do, unless you happen to be a lifelong physics addict with a remarkable sighting experience, so I’ll go over it briefly.

Every form of lift/propulsion/maneuvering capability known to physics today, operates on the principle of Newton’s third law of motion (which we all know as the law of action-reaction, aka the conservation of momentum). Except for one.

And the defining characteristic of the vast majority of sighting reports is the absence of any detectable reaction mechanism: we observe no fiery rocket propellant, or high downward winds like we see with helicopters and airplanes. These devices can hover silently right over your head without generating any wind or emitting any observable matter. But even more startlingly, they can lurch from a stationary position to a speed of thousands of miles per hour, and execute hairpin changes in direction at such speeds, without slowing down or banking in the process. These behaviors clearly and indisputably violate the law of inertia.

There is only one concept in the entire canon of physics today that not only conforms to these specific and unique performance characteristics, but explicitly predicts them. And that’s the principle of gravitational field propulsion, which was first formally described within the context of the general theory of relativity in 1994 by Miguel Alcubierre, although Robert L. Forward had made substantial theoretical strides in that direction previously. Using that principle permits a craft to execute all of the key distinctive maneuvers that we commonly find in ufo sightings reports, because a device employing that concept is always in a state of free-fall, so there are no g-forces whatsoever, regardless of the magnitude of the accelerations. And it’s rudimentary to calculate that any reaction method of producing such accelerations would be devastating, akin to a bullet from a high-power rifle reflecting off of a solid block of steel. And of course, without emitting an equal magnitude of momentum in the opposite direction, which we’ve never observed in these reports, any acceleration at all would be impossible. Unless it’s using a dipolar gravitational field as the propulsion mechanism.

But it gets even more interesting, because the same formal description of gravitational field propulsion that explains all of the observed flight characteristics of these objects, also explains why the speed of light is not a limit for such a system: by falling along a curvature of spacetime, rather than forcing the object through spacetime like we do with rockets, we bypass the constraints of the special theory of relativity. So in principle, a device that can hover silently and virtually instantaneously accelerate to a speed of thousands of miles per hour, could in theory arrive at the Earth from several light-years’ distance in an arbitrarily short time interval as measured both aboard the craft and also by Eulerian (unaccelerated) observers. One could, according to the theory, travel to Alpha Centauri and back within the span of an hour or less.

So the only theoretical explanatory model for the distinctive performance characteristics exhibited in the bulk of ufo sightings, also just happens to point to the validity of the ETH.

In science we find that these kinds of independently determined coincidences are usually highly significant. So what we have here is a physically viable working hypothesis for the operation of these craft, and their unearthly origin, derived directly from the general theory of relativity. And now that we have a concise mathematical formulation of this propulsion mechanism, it’s all but certain that if we continue to progress technologically, we too will eventually produce this type of propulsion mechanism in the lab, and ultimately within commercial industry. So one day, we humans will be the source of extraterrestrial craft operating in the skies of distant planets that have their own primitive and warmongering civilizations. And when that happens, do you think that we'll land in the center of their village and extend the hand of friendship to the ignorant and murderous savages that we find there, or do you think we'll go about our business as quietly and quickly as possible to avert any potential hostilities, fear, and confusion? I know what I'd do, and it doesn't involve a diplomatic meet-and-greet or a student exchange program.
We divege wildly on every single point. We know different things to be true for ourselves and i find your insights and understanding of my perspectives on these points to be limited as I see you find my inability to see your perspectives. We fundamentally disagree on: ufos and the nature of the datable set and it's predominant trends, the net effect of my own sighting, my own investigations into how trauma, memory and perception interrelate and intersect with the ufo phenomenon, the nature of consciousness and perception and how this relates to the phenomenon, the sociological history of the phenomenon and the true role and nature of the witness inside the history of the phenomenon.

This is a paradigm. breaker in my mind. We do not even speak the same language when it comes to discussing the nature, history and role of the key figure that has defined the vast majority of what we know about the phenomeon: a sensing human being.

I also believe you enirely underestimate the role of the high strange and how we see, interpret, recall and testify to experiences that are unlike any other experience of what we know about reality.

The cases i cite are but a handful of the innumerable surreal cases; truly when you look at close encounter cases, and not just lights in the sky events, the closer you get to a ship or a humanoid the more it seems reality breaks down. The significant cases involve very distessing net effects for the witness, the encounter often follows dream logic and appears as an altered state experience. I used the Portage County case and Emilcin in my essay inside Reframing The Debate to outline just how hallucinatory these experiences are. Please consider listening to Wendy O'Conners' Faded Discs collection, especially the CE case reports from witnesses recorded immediately after they happened. The Pascagoula Case, Denchmont Woods case, Kelly-Hopkinsville, Bentwaters, Michalak, most Police cases all demonstrate very surreal encounters with profound effects on witnesses. A significant strain of thinking in Ufology increasingly talks about the role of the witness in the study of the field. I also encourage reading Greg Bishop's essay in Reframing the Debate as a definitive history of the field as well as some very insightful directions forward.

I don't think I'll be able to convince you of much. I don't get the sense you are reading what I'm explaining about the topics i talk about at all. You and I are chasing very different evidence and looking at evidence from very different perspectives. So perhaps you read what i write in ways that just fit your paradigms of reality. For me all of reality is simply a symbolic representation of what objective reality is. I could take time to go through each point but I don't really see a point as we understand the ufo in two very competing ways. I am doubtful of the ETH and want to understand very different aspects of the phenomenon that you find to be entirely insignificant.

Last edited:
So you believe that such things as hurricanes, tsunamis, famines, genocide, nuclear weapons don't exist in reality? That the Nazi death camps in four or five European countries weren't real 'public objects' as well as sites of vastly different kinds of experiences for those within their walls and those outside them? That at some point when most of us no longer think about what happened in those camps, those gas chambers, we can think their reality away by replacing them with new stuff to 'project into our personal virtual realities'?

Actual lived experience in the world is many things, but one thing it is not is 'virtual'.
By public objects i mean the way we see and describe those material objects inside events we encounter everyday. I don't deny they exist but that how we see and perceive them is entirely an individual, interpretive and phebomenological event. I do subscribe to Donald Hoffman's estimations on the nature of perception and symbolic reality.

Last edited:
comments re Hoffman's model at metafilter.com --

"Agree with all of the above that he [Hoffman] is both shallowly reinventing a lot of well-trod philosophy as well as arguing against a strawman, maximally naive-realist position that nobody who has given a moment's thought to the question seriously holds. All the quantum fluff around the article doesn't even merit a response.
posted by Pyry at 12:15 PM on April 25, 2016 [10 favorites]

"The maddening thing about this is, it's a half-assed reinvention of Kant, that only considers that there is a problem of what objects correspond to perception, but thinks that there's no issue with whether anything at all about existence corresponds to our concepts. For example, what reason is there to consider quantum mechanics as anything other than a game with symbols that some people are good at, once you've tossed out the possibility of justifying science empirically? The article seems to take as self-evident the idea that you determine the being of objects only by considering what we know about the fundamental particles composing them. Why should we think the world works like that? Because those ideas seem self-evident to some scientists? Why should I take the proof by mathematical physics that "evolution doesn't work like that" as being informative at all? He doesn't seem to understand that these are serious problems, once you start declaring that experience is illusory.
posted by thelonius at 12:34 PM on April 25, 2016 [11 favorites]

"There is a drive on toward accepting panpsychism, and incorporating it into contemporary science. Bernard Kastrup is a critic of this movement. He writes: But here is where panpsychism raises its head as the greatest threat on the horizon: it provides an easy escape route for the materialist. It magically 'solves' the hard problem of consciousness simply by declaring consciousness to be either an irreducible property, or the intrinsic nature, of matter. This way, it maintains our present delusion that matter – either in substance (Interpretation 1) or in structure (Interpretation 2) – is the primary aspect of reality. It threatens to usurp from us the unique opportunity we have today to face and correct our delusional worldview. It threatens to deflate all momentum currently building up towards a more truthful ontology. If the interpretations of panpsychism discussed above end up sticking, we will be in for another century of madness. May this essay help raise the alarm against this danger.
It is good that the mind/matter issue is under serious scrutiny. I won't bore folks with my own dogs in the fight (the curious can check out my profile)."
posted by No Robots at 8:09 AM on April 26, 2016 [2 favorites]

Also see this paper critiquing Hoffman's claims:

The Object Of Objective Reality: Some Notes On Donald Hoffman | IDEAS ON IDEAS

And here is a discussion of Hoffman's hypothesis at skeptico:

Consciousness and The Interface Theory of Perception

By far the most difficult thing to understand about an intelligent alien being from a substantially more advanced civilization, is going to be their motives, ambitions, etc.

Marduk may be ultimately right: They're here for resources, maybe someday our whole planet. But a key interim objective is simply to immobilize us, by confusing us. High strangeness is a deliberate effort to prevent us from being sure what we're dealing with. If we don't even know what we're dealing with, we're hardly in a position to do anything about it--exactly the state of affairs our visitors want. Thomas R.Morrison, while I'm convinced we're right that extraterrestrials are here, they themselves don't want us to be sure of this. Ironically they want people to think like Burnt State--so "burned out" by the weirder, more deceptive cases we miss the forest for trees and remain in a state of helpless confusion.

If we go to another living planet one day, we’ll certainly collect a huge variety of samples of all kinds, and study them for decades in our laboratories.

Of course the moon is not living but collecting samples is precisely what spacefarers from our own world have been doing.

We divege wildly on every single point. We know different things to be true for ourselves and i find your insights and understanding of my perspectives on these points to be limited as I see you find my inability to see your perspectives. We fundamentally disagree on: ufos and the nature of the datable set and it's predominant trends, the net effect of my own sighting, my own investigations into how trauma, memory and perception interrelate and intersect with the ufo phenomenon, the nature of consciousness and perception and how this relates to the phenomenon, the sociological history of the phenomenon and the true role and nature of the witness inside the history of the phenomenon.

This is a paradigm. breaker in my mind. We do not even speak the same language when it comes to discussing the nature, history and role of the key figure that has defined the vast majority of what we know about the phenomeon: a sensing human being.

I also believe you enirely underestimate the role of the high strange and how we see, interpret, recall and testify to experiences that are unlike any other experience of what we know about reality.

The cases i cite are but a handful of the innumerable surreal cases; truly when you look at close encounter cases, and not just lights in the sky events, the closer you get to a ship or a humanoid the more it seems reality breaks down. The significant cases involve very distessing net effects for the witness, the encounter often follows dream logic and appears as an altered state experience. I used the Portage County case and Emilcin in my essay inside Reframing The Debate to outline just how hallucinatory these experiences are. Please consider listening to Wendy O'Conners' Faded Discs collection, especially the CE case reports from witnesses recorded immediately after they happened. The Pascagoula Case, Denchmont Woods case, Kelly-Hopkinsville, Bentwaters, Michalak, most Police cases all demonstrate very surreal encounters with profound effects on witnesses. A significant strain of thinking in Ufology increasingly talks about the role of the witness in the study of the field. I also encourage reading Greg Bishop's essay in Reframing the Debate as a definitive history of the field as well as some very insightful directions forward.

I don't think I'll be able to convince you of much. I don't get the sense you are reading what I'm explaining about the topics i talk about at all. You and I are chasing very different evidence and looking at evidence from very different perspectives. So perhaps you read what i write in ways that just fit your paradigms of reality. For me all of reality is simply a symbolic representation of what objective reality is. I could take time to go through each point but I don't really see a point as we understand the ufo in two very competing ways. I am doubtful of the ETH and want to understand very different aspects of the phenomenon that you find to be entirely insignificant.

Refering Mr Greg Bishop books are quite a valuble work to this field of enquiry which his interaction with a folks on the inside and like anyone who's getting information from insiders can be muddy with facts which Mr Bishop has sorted the wheat from the chaff. The UFO cases with eyewitness accounts from Police Officers who lives depend on factual information in most cases and must be taken into accounts when gathering the evidence. Agree the affect towards the eyewitness in very emotional with terror depending on the events. Does play into the memory of the events and can actually re-enforce the UFO case . Not the fluffy ecounter and romantic interludes as the 1950's contactees would suggest. Also Police Officer do encounter odd events which they keep in house and do share with family members and close friends in some cases. The "surreal encounters" is another perception mangment which some type of ETH seems to play the on the eyewitness. Another example is the interference with the cars , battries, torches , radios, and surrounding street lights. Beam of lights and the sounds of different levels during a encounter seems robotic and digatal sounds (humans intepretations ) in nature which able to cloaked and re-appear with low humming noise . Is it A.I. drone technology or advance ETH which can control the contollers. For example, Submarniers who work in Sub day and night not just P.R examples found the ongoing dectections of object moving at speeds not normal to human technology and "terrorfied of whatever they/ it was being stuck inside a tin can" During the Cold War contact with this types were common especially during the hot zone's which records were kept and reports made. This was topic intrest from Submarines during their conversations "Need to know" very plausible going on eyewitness accounts. The objects were able to shrink and expaned at will in the deepths was the odd information discussed so take for what its worth. Don't think we dealing with just human technology and its niave to think others have not developed means and methods to interact with us.

I never said objective reality is in our heads but our own individual experience of reality is unique to each perceiver. And it is a virtual version of reality that we see in our minds or have the experience of seeing manufactured for us in our heads. Objective reality is not something we can come close to thanks to the limitations of what we are able to sense. Our body evolved to experience the parts of reality we need to survive. Other organisms get the sense perceptions they need to survive. There's lots happening in objective reality we will simply never know, though we amend this possibility with our tools.

Totally agree.

As for public objects - they don't really exist. With something as simple as a ball as described we certainly have the experience that all witnesses are seeing something very simialr but it's still unique to the perceiver just like the white/gold dress that appears blue to different perceivers. The ball is also still unique to the perceiver.

We disagree here. There are public objects, but our perception of them may vary. For example, Marie Curie did not perceive radioactivity to be dangerous, but it still killed her.

In more complex witness events like a shooting we see witnesses time and time and again tell different stories. With something more complex like seeing a ufo the stories also vary.

We definitely experience reality on very personal subjective levels.

This is true for mundane events as well. For example, car accidents are quite often remembered out of sequence, colours of cars are wrong, etc. Our brains are not sequential detail storage devices.

comments re Hoffman's model at metafilter.com --

"Agree with all of the above that he [Hoffman] is both shallowly reinventing a lot of well-trod philosophy as well as arguing against a strawman, maximally naive-realist position that nobody who has given a moment's thought to the question seriously holds. All the quantum fluff around the article doesn't even merit a response.
posted by Pyry at 12:15 PM on April 25, 2016 [10 favorites]

"The maddening thing about this is, it's a half-assed reinvention of Kant, that only considers that there is a problem of what objects correspond to perception, but thinks that there's no issue with whether anything at all about existence corresponds to our concepts. For example, what reason is there to consider quantum mechanics as anything other than a game with symbols that some people are good at, once you've tossed out the possibility of justifying science empirically? The article seems to take as self-evident the idea that you determine the being of objects only by considering what we know about the fundamental particles composing them. Why should we think the world works like that? Because those ideas seem self-evident to some scientists? Why should I take the proof by mathematical physics that "evolution doesn't work like that" as being informative at all? He doesn't seem to understand that these are serious problems, once you start declaring that experience is illusory.
posted by thelonius at 12:34 PM on April 25, 2016 [11 favorites]

"There is a drive on toward accepting panpsychism, and incorporating it into contemporary science. Bernard Kastrup is a critic of this movement. He writes: But here is where panpsychism raises its head as the greatest threat on the horizon: it provides an easy escape route for the materialist. It magically 'solves' the hard problem of consciousness simply by declaring consciousness to be either an irreducible property, or the intrinsic nature, of matter. This way, it maintains our present delusion that matter – either in substance (Interpretation 1) or in structure (Interpretation 2) – is the primary aspect of reality. It threatens to usurp from us the unique opportunity we have today to face and correct our delusional worldview. It threatens to deflate all momentum currently building up towards a more truthful ontology. If the interpretations of panpsychism discussed above end up sticking, we will be in for another century of madness. May this essay help raise the alarm against this danger.
It is good that the mind/matter issue is under serious scrutiny. I won't bore folks with my own dogs in the fight (the curious can check out my profile)."
posted by No Robots at 8:09 AM on April 26, 2016 [2 favorites]

Also see this paper critiquing Hoffman's claims:

The Object Of Objective Reality: Some Notes On Donald Hoffman | IDEAS ON IDEAS

And here is a discussion of Hoffman's hypothesis at skeptico:

Consciousness and The Interface Theory of Perception
Constance. As you know there are critiques of all philosophical positions and theories. In exploring conscious studies his and some of the biological panosychists make a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure of the purpoae you are making regarding these random posters - are these your thoughts as well? Should i be embarrassed or sonething...

Regardless, his models regarding evolution and our limited sensory capacities i find rather compelling and his theory is ultimately sound when it comes to the nature of perception as far as our biology is concerned. It helps to explain why people see different things when witnessing the same event or object. I enjoy his debates at the non-duality events with all the other big shots in contemporary philosophy and he stands up rather well.

I also find his discourse around conscious agents to be a very intriguing model as it makes room for the biological perceptual capacity of paranormal events. He helps to bolster my sense of the phenomenological world as well, in that the feel of objects and experiences are then unique to each perceiver which is something i thought you would be in tune with.

Back