• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Extraterrestrial Hypothesis : Fact and Fallacy

Dr. J. Allen Hynek addressed the United Nations on the subject of UFOs on November 27, 1978

Mr. Chairman, there exists today a world-wide phenomenon... indeed if it were not world-wide I should not be addressing you and these representatives from many parts of the world. There exists a global phenomenon the scope and extent of which is not generally recognized. It is a phenomenon so strange and foreign to our daily terrestrial mode of thought that it is frequently met by ridicule and derision by persons and organizations unacquainted with the facts. [...]

I refer, of course, to the phenomenon of UFOs... Unidentified Flying Objects... which I should like to define here simply as "any aerial or surface sighting, or instrumental recording (e.g., radar, photography, etc.) which remains unexplained by conventional methods even after competent examination by qualified persons."

You will note, Mr. Chairman, that this definition says nothing about little green men from outer space, or manifestations from spiritual realms, or various psychic manifestations. It simply states an operational definition. A cardinal mistake, and a source of great confusion, has been the almost universal substitution of an interpretation of the UFO phenomenon for the phenomenon itself.

This is akin to having ascribed the Aurora Borealis to angelic communication before we understood the physics of the solar wind.

Nonetheless, in the popular mind the UFO phenomenon is associated with the concept of extra-terrestrial intelligence and this might yet prove to be correct in some context. [...]

We have on record many tens of thousands of UFO reports... they include extremely intriguing and provocative accounts of strange events experienced by highly reputable persons... events which challenge our present conception of the world about us and which may indeed signal a need for a change in some of these concepts. [...]

Mr. Chairman, any phenomenon which touches the lives of so many people, and which engenders puzzlement and even fear among them, is therefore not only of potential scientific interest and significance but also of sociological and political significance, especially since it carries with it many implications of the existence of intelligences other than our own. [...]

Speaking then for myself as an astronomer, and I believe for many of my colleagues as well, there is no longer any question in my mind of the importance of this subject. [...]

Mr. Chairman, I have not always held the opinion that UFOs were worthy of serious scientific study. I began my work as Scientific Consultant to the U.S. Air Force as an open skeptic, in the firm belief that we were dealing with a mental aberration and a public nuisance. Only in the face of stubborn facts and data similar to those studied by the French commission... have I been forced to change my opinion.[...]

The UFO phenomenon, as studied by my colleagues and myself, bespeaks the action of some form of intelligence... but whence this intelligence springs, whether it is truly extra-terrestrial, or bespeaks a higher reality not yet recognized by science, or even if it be in some way or another a strange psychic manifestation of our own intelligence, is much the question. We seek your help, Mr. Chairman, in assisting scientists, and particularly those already associated with the many formal and informal investigative organizations around the world, by providing a clearing house procedure whereby the work already going on globally can be brought together in a serious, concentrated approach to this most outstanding challenge to current science.
Not only a higher reality but at the end of his days Hynek was on about Elemental spirits. He had also shifted away from event anomalies and a nuts and bolts ETH perspective and also became more curious with the paranormal aspects if the phenomenon.

IMO this is not in the least bit credible. Alien technology may seem "like magic" (at least some of it other stuff appears no better than ours) but it is assumed that it just goes beyond what we have ourselves achieved and is perfectly rational. Furthermore it would appear the aliens are fallible. I'm not just alluding to certain crash cases but failed attempts to abduct people, apparent mechanical problems with craft etc.
In the real world, the only way to progress is rationally/technologically. If some other lifeform "right here beside us" made so much progress it could fool us continually and completely, we probably wouldn't exist. If they had a problem with us so they felt a need to do that why not just get rid of us altogether and take the planet for themselves?
How can we assume anything about a level of intelligence or technology up against ours? We can't make any real assumptions about an alien mind can we - their language, culture and capacities are utterly foreign to us. There's not much to read into aside from the guesses we make based on patterns we stab at. You can follow contactee and space brother lore but even these seem dreadfully human in their origin and count for little.

And as far as raitionality goes it has to be one of the most perplexing and irrational of all the paranormal phenomenon.

That they have capacities that are far beyond on our own is routinely demonstrated in the reports and that the have not formally made themselves known or interfered with us in any direct way should be telling us at least a few things. Just because the may be all powerful gods compared to us doesn't mean they think war like.

What crashed discs? We have no confirmation of such an event and if there was it's not something you could hide from human history. We'd all know about it.

We can't make any real assumptions about an alien mind can we - their language, culture and capacities are utterly foreign to us.

That is what shouldn't be assumed. The experience of our solar system supports the conclusion that earthlike conditions are essential for habitability, so similar evolutionary outcomes appear likely. Look at the vast technological gap between us and the ancient Greeks. Both civilizations could've understood each other, basically; both had alliances, diplomacy, government, war, theater....

And as far as raitionality goes it has to be one of the most perplexing and irrational of all the paranormal phenomenon.

I don't think so. We're all aware of HS but I think it has a rational motive and objective, as I suggested earlier.

That they have capacities that are far beyond on our own is routinely demonstrated in the reports and that the have not formally made themselves known or interfered with us in any direct way should be telling us at least a few things. Just because the may be all powerful gods compared to us doesn't mean they think war like.

You don't have to be warlike to take over. Jacobs has suggested a different approach is underway. Covert operations invite suspicion.

What crashed discs? We have no confirmation of such an event and if there was it's not something you could hide from human history. We'd all know about it.

I didn't mean just Roswell but Kecksburg and perhaps a few others. It's naive to assume such secrets couldn't be kept from us, in the sense there's no formal, public acknowledgment. But we do all know (a little) about it, or else we wouldn't be discussing it.

I have no problem with the notion that the universe is well populated. I just don't see how that makes the ETH any more likely

This statement is so at odds with logic and the classical definition of probability theory, it looks an awful lot like the ideological belief paradigm you ascribe to those who consider the ETH a reasonable conclusion.

To demonstrate, i propose the "Its going to rain today hypothesis".
Your position re the ETH would ,if applied to this hypothesis have merit if the sky was clear blue, not a single cloud in sight. It would be reasonable to question the validity of the IGTRTH on that basis.
But the more clouds, the more populated the sky with clouds the more reasonable the IGTRTH becomes. If we also see plenty of nimbostratus or cumulonimbus clouds then the laws of probability favour it even more.

The classical definition or interpretation of probability is identified[1] with the works of Jacob Bernoulli and Pierre-Simon Laplace. As stated in Laplace's Théorie analytique des probabilités,

The probability of an event is the ratio of the number of cases favorable to it, to the number of all cases possible when nothing leads us to expect that any one of these cases should occur more than any other, which renders them, for us, equally possible

Simply put the more populated the universe is with life, the more likely the ETH becomes.

Its true we haven't found life yet, but again the laws of probability favour a universe teeming with life.

The Laws of Probability Tell Us That the Universe Should Be Teeming With Intelligent Life Forms

A Nearby Earth-Size Planet May Have Conditions for Life

‘Earth-like’ planets three times more than thought

And that doesn't even include the post biological aspect, which doesn't necessarily require "earth type" planets.

I put it to you for consideration that your outright rejection of the ETH as a possibility, despite the factors that are favorable to it, is more closely akin to an ideological belief than those who recognize the ETH is still a valid and even likely hypothesis.

This statement is so at odds with logic and the classical definition of probability theory, it looks an awful lot like the ideological belief paradigm you ascribe to those who consider the ETH a reasonable conclusion.

Your position re the ETH would ,if applied to this hypothesis have merit if the sky was clear blue, not a single cloud in sight. It would be reasonable to question the validity of the IGTRTH on that basis.
But the more clouds, the more populated the sky with clouds the more reasonable the IGTRTH becomes. If we also see plenty of nimbostratus or cumulonimbus clouds then the laws of probability favour it even more.

The classical definition or interpretation of probability is identified[1] with the works of Jacob Bernoulli and Pierre-Simon Laplace. As stated in Laplace's Théorie analytique des probabilités,

The probability of an event is the ratio of the number of cases favorable to it, to the number of all cases possible when nothing leads us to expect that any one of these cases should occur more than any other, which renders them, for us, equally possible

Simply put the more populated the universe is with life, the more likely the ETH becomes.

Its true we haven't found life yet, but again the laws of probability favour a universe teeming with life.

The Laws of Probability Tell Us That the Universe Should Be Teeming With Intelligent Life Forms

And that doesn't even include the post biological aspect, which doesn't necessarily require "earth type" planets.

I put it to you for consideration that your outright rejection of the ETH as a possibility, despite the factors that are favorable to it, is more closely akin to an ideological belief than those who recognize the ETH is still a valid and even likely hypothesis.
Damn - this is an excellent post mike: simple, elegant, and to the point.

It seems very clear at this point that the anti-ETH camp is still clinging to popular arguments from the 1970s. Since then, the scientific consensus has shifted dramatically. But many people haven't kept up with the latest developments, so their arguments are based on obsolete and presently illogical perspectives. It particularly galls me to be subjected to arguments about the allegedly "religious" support for the ETH, when today's mainstream peer-reviewed scientific papers are exploring the prevalence of technological species in the universe (and setting a lower bound for the occurrence of technological civilizations in the billions), and seriously debating the technical requirements for superluminal interstellar spaceflight (which we now know is fully consistent with one of the most well-tested and widely embraced theories in physics, the general theory of relativity).

From the 1940s until the first discoveries of exosolar planets by the Kepler mission, the scientific basis of the ETH was entirely speculative - we had no idea how common Earth-like planets would turn out to be in the galaxy and the cosmos at large, and the notion of a field propulsion technology that would allow us to bypass the draconian constraints of reaction/rocket propulsion was mere whimsy. And without knowledge of either arena, it was easy - and quite popular - to mock ETH advocates as dewy-eyed dreamers.

All of that has changed over the last 20 years. We now know that 1 in 5 stars are orbited by a nice warm rocky Earth-like planet - an ideal candidate for the the emergence of biological life. And we also know that a sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial species could almost certainly engineer the spacetime metric to reduce interstellar travel times to arbitrarily short time intervals (proportional to the degree to which a species can warp spacetime). So, given the numbers involved (20-40 billion ideal planetary candidates for the evolution of intelligent life in our galaxy alone) and a compelling theoretical argument for superluminal space travel, the scientific question is no longer "do we share the cosmos with technologically advanced species with interstellar spaceflight capability?" but rather "just how prevalent are exosolar species with practicable interstellar spaceflight capability?"

The ufo sightings we hear about seem to suggest "fairly common, or at least not very rare." Because if exosolar species were visiting the Earth, we'd expect (based on our own theoretical work) that their devices would have the performance characteristics of defying inertia, and hovering silently. Which is precisely what is reported.

That's why I think the ETH should be elevated to the status of a working theory: it predicts exactly what so many people have reported, and its basis is now resoundingly well-supported by several independent fields of scientific inquiry.

Could other, even stranger things, be going on? Sure, why not? But has the advancement of science grown in favor of the ETH? Absolutely and indisputably. In fact, I have yet to hear a single scientifically and logically defensible argument against it. So it would be crazy to dismiss it as a valid working hypothesis. Doubly so, if the next leading explanatory contender is "the invisible and persistently evidence-defying co-inhabitant of the Earth hypothesis," which fails to address even the simplest criticisms, such as: "if a more advanced intelligence is sharing this planet with us, then where do they dwell and how can we not have detected any physical trace of them after all this time?" Or better yet "why is the idea of an invisible mind-controlling species on the Earth, considered to be more likely than a visible and apparently fallible extraterrestrial species sending probes/craft our way from time to time?"

Sure, the ETH may not be the most interesting idea on the table, but since when has the level of creative intellectual stimulation ever been a rational gauge of the likelihood of any hypothesis being true? After all, the theory of evolution is rather dreary and mechanistic, but we don't see people objecting to it because it's insufficiently interesting. Why not? Because that would be a nutty objection to try to defend, and no rational person has been willing to do it. And in practice, such a position clearly stands in direct opposition to Occam's razor, which has remained a successful guiding pillar of scientific inquiry for millennia.

Last edited:
If this were an episode of Mythbusters, the ETH would get an honest plausible.

Do we know life exists ? Yes it exists here.

Is it a rare fluke here ? No it finds a foothold in every possible environmental niche include harsh ones Extremophile - Wikipedia

An extremophile (from Latin extremus meaning "extreme" and Greek philiā (φιλία) meaning "love") is an organism that thrives in physically or geochemically extreme conditions that are detrimental to most life on Earth.[1][2] In contrast, organisms that live in more moderate environments may be termed mesophiles or neutrophiles.

Is the planet itself a fluke ? No its a model repeated so many times in the universe the number is almost meaningless. Planets orbit stars by the gazillions squared a trillion times.

Indeed as our telescope technology improves the trend for Life supporting planets is trending upwards not downwards.

60 Billion Alien Planets Could Support Life, Study Suggests

Do we visit and explore other planets ? Yes to the very best of our ever improving technology. Many of our best minds insist not only that we should, but that we must do so.

Why Should We Colonize Other Planets?
Stephen Hawking has a chilling message about the survival of humanity

Is this likely to be a universal imperative ? It seems like it might be.

The ETH isn't confirmed, Its a strong plausible. But Busted ? Only if you can ignore the many factors favorable to it. Imo its a stronger leap of faith to say its busted than it is to say its plausible.

I'm going to jump into the deep end here and add a thought or two, even though I am neither as well-versed in these issues as Thomas, Constance, Mike, Trajanus, and Burnt, nor as intellectually capable as you lot. I'm going to focus my observations on the back-and-forth between Burnt and Thomas to keep things manageable and so I don't have to keep name-dropping everyone else engaged in this lively and interesting discussion.

I find Thomas' line of reasoning articulate, reasonable and full of merit. I also agree with Burnt that quite a large number of assumptions are being made. Thomas, it seems to me, is arguing strictly from the scientific method standpoint to support the ETH. A perfectly rational and compelling approach and if one chooses to subscribe to that technique he makes a very strong case. Robert (Burnt), on the other hand, IMO, is coming from less a scientific angle, and more of a philosophical approach, as it pertains to the ETH. His approach (to me) is a classic Pyrrhonian position of "let's suspend judgement" because we really don't "know" anything. Not that the ETH is incorrect, per se, but simply that he is unwilling to accept, as such, any of the individual hypotheses that traditionally make up the bulk of the ETH in total. Those assumptions (hypotheses), based on cumulative observations of real physical phenomena over time (by Robert himself, even), that Thomas so eloquently lays out in his argument, are not ones Robert is willing to accept given the philosophical underpinnings of his approach to the topic. Thomas and Robert are speaking two different languages. Or, to bring the religious metaphor into it, two different belief systems and never the twain shall (probably) meet.

Regardless, I find the whole discussion intellectually stimulating and feel privileged to be around such thoughtful and intelligent people. Thanks for the serious thought and effort you put into this thread, and the forum in general. I, for one, really appreciate it.

And to anticipate a common rebuttal that gets trotted out about now "The vast distances" rebuttal, Let me say this.

When the Europeans "discovered" America and Australia The native peoples had no way of traveling the vast distances from Australia and America to England and Spain.

Oh they could make short voyages using their technology, paddle up a river or to nearby islands, their equivalent of our moon landing and mars probes etc.
But they could not traverse the vast oceans. It wasn't that it was impossible, it just wasn't possible with their level of technology. The Europeans with their more advanced vessels could do it, But they couldn't.

The native Australians would have been wrong to assume Europeans couldn't be visiting them because they themselves didn't have the ability to travel from Australia to England.

I'm going to jump into the deep end here and add a thought or two, even though I am neither as well-versed in these issues as Thomas, Constance, Mike, Trajanus, and Burnt, nor as intellectually capable as you lot. I'm going to focus my observations on the back-and-forth between Burnt and Thomas to keep things manageable and so I don't have to keep name-dropping everyone else engaged in this lively and interesting discussion.

I find Thomas' line of reasoning articulate, reasonable and full of merit. I also agree with Burnt that quite a large number of assumptions are being made. Thomas, it seems to me, is arguing strictly from the scientific method standpoint to support the ETH. A perfectly rational and compelling approach and if one chooses to subscribe to that technique he makes a very strong case. Robert (Burnt), on the other hand, IMO, is coming from less a scientific angle, and more of a philosophical approach, as it pertains to the ETH. His approach (to me) is a classic Pyrrhonian position of "let's suspend judgement" because we really don't "know" anything. Not that the ETH is incorrect, per se, but simply that he is unwilling to accept, as such, any of the individual hypotheses that traditionally make up the bulk of the ETH in total. Those assumptions (hypotheses), based on cumulative observations of real physical phenomena over time (by Robert himself, even), that Thomas so eloquently lays out in his argument, are not ones Robert is willing to accept given the philosophical underpinnings of his approach to the topic. Thomas and Robert are speaking two different languages. Or, to bring the religious metaphor into it, two different belief systems and never the twain shall (probably) meet.

Regardless, I find the whole discussion intellectually stimulating and feel privileged to be around such thoughtful and intelligent people. Thanks for the serious thought and effort you put into this thread, and the forum in general. I, for one, really appreciate it.
Agree completely with everything you've said,it's threads like this that really make you think and put the Paracast forum in a league of its own.It's a pity Usual Suspect isn't around at the moment he'd love this debate.

Is it a rare fluke here ? No it finds a foothold in every possible environmental niche include harsh ones Extremophile - Wikipedia
Extremophiles are fascinating critters, but I just want to make sure that nobody jumps to the wrong conclusion about them, because that’s easy to do. What they show us, is the marvelous adaptive power of life once it has a foothold in a favorable environment – i.e., after a thriving biosphere has arisen, it’s very difficult to sterilize a planet via natural catastrophe and whatnot. What extremophiles don’t show us, is that life can arise in harsh conditions: if that were true, then we’d see a vibrant ecosystem on Mars, or Venus. I wanted to point that out on behalf of the casual reader, because it’s a common misunderstanding.

Is this likely to be a universal imperative ? It seems like it might be.
I’m not comfortable with the phrase “universal imperative,” because it feels reminiscent of the “intelligent design” argument. But we certainly now have firm empirical grounds to conclude that the prevalence of organic chemicals and favorable planetary conditions throughout the universe provide ideal conditions for the emergence of life. And if life gets started on only 1 in 10 well-situated Earth-like planets, which seems like a reasonable ballpark estimate given what we now know, then there are at least 2-4 billion independent biospheres in our galaxy alone. If intelligent life arises within only 1 in 1,000,000 such biospheres (which I feel is an unjustifiably low estimate), then at least 2-5000 intelligent sentient species have arisen within our galaxy.

I’d like to make another important point here, which most people overlook because it’s easy to miss unless you’re an incurable physics junkie like myself. The metric propulsion concept that we’ve seen with Alcubierre’s work (and which we’ll see more about in the years ahead) is a radical game changer regarding the significance of cosmic-scale distances. There is no known theoretical upper limit for the speed that one could attain via such a system. Last week I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation to arrive at an order of magnitude estimate for the metric expansion of spacetime during cosmic inflation – which might suffice as a substitute for an upper velocity limit, in lieu of a theoretical argument. It came out to roughly 10,000 billion billion times the speed of light, or in long form, 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times the speed of light. To put that in perspective, at that speed it would take .000145 second to reach the edge of the observable universe (a distance of roughly 46 billion light-years).

But beyond that, a metric propulsion system obviates the significance of the cosmological horizon, because it uses the same underlying mechanism as the Hubble expansion. In practice, this means that a metric-propulsion device could not only leap the vast distances between stars and galaxies – but it could reach far beyond the observable universe, which we now know is only an infinitesimal fraction of the known universe (by our best current estimates, the universe appears to be infinite, or in astronomical parlance, “flat”).

So if one is predisposed to thinking of the observable universe as “our” universe, then one could confidently say that extraterrestrial species with metric spaceflight capabilities could arrive here from “beyond our universe.” Because the “cosmic event horizon” (and also the event horizons of black holes) are readily traversable using a metric propulsion system, once one can produce an adequate magnitude of spacetime deformations. Such are the mind-boggling spaceflight capabilities, once a civilization transcends engineering within the context of special relativity, and begins engineering with general relativity instead.

Welcome to “the deep end” Chris – and thank you for the kind words and thoughtful contribution. I think you’re right: I feel like Robert and I are talking past each other, and it must be due to some underlying philosophical disparity that I don’t understand, because clearly the facts are on my side (haha…just kidding around).

I feel like I should point this out though, to avert any personal misunderstanding: I’m a strong adherent to the adversarial debate method. I think that we all have an obligatory responsibility to the significant effort we’ve put in to parse the data and arrive at our viewpoints, to represent them and to defend them vigorously – like a lawyer defends a client. So if I get strident, that’s why. It’s not a personal attack; it’s just me playing the game of Meme Wars, because I see the realm of ideas as a kind of ecosystem – and the best idea should always win, because that’s how human civilization slowly but surely advances.

And to anticipate a common rebuttal that gets trotted out about now "The vast distances" rebuttal, Let me say this.

When the Europeans "discovered" America and Australia The native peoples had no way of traveling the vast distances from Australia and America to England and Spain.

Oh they could make short voyages using their technology, paddle up a river or to nearby islands, their equivalent of our moon landing and mars probes etc.
But they could not traverse the vast oceans. It wasn't that it was impossible, it just wasn't possible with their level of technology. The Europeans with their more advanced vessels could do it, But they couldn't.

The native Australians would have been wrong to assume Europeans couldn't be visiting them because they themselves didn't have the ability to travel from Australia to England.
That’s a good “toy model” argument, but in fairness, it is a little cavalier about the fundamental leap that we’re discussing: in the spacefaring scenario, building a bigger/better “boat” isn’t going to get the job done. Practical manned interstellar travel calls for an entirely new technology, which we don’t have yet. So I can understand why people get stuck on this part – it is a sticky issue.

But this is where a strong science background comes in handy. Historically, and fairly routinely, the most exotic, subtle, and perplexing theoretical predictions of our most reliable physical theories (both quantum field theory and general relativity) – which at first seemed far beyond the grasp of any foreseeable human technology…suddenly appear in the headlines not long after they’re first discussed in the theoretical literature. It takes a fairly long-term and intimate familiarity with these kinds of experimental breakthroughs to really appreciate the tangible inevitability of that transition from theory to experimental confirmation - and it doesn’t help matters one bit, that the least proficient members of the scientific establishment are always the most vocal critics of such efforts…until they actually happen in the lab. So the general public is almost always surprised when they do.

And this is the same pattern that we’re seeing play out again right now, with respect to the theoretical prospect of a gravitational field propulsion mechanism. Our best theory says that it’s attainable, but there are still hurdles which appear to be insurmountable to the average Joe. So the general public remains unconvinced regarding its inevitability, and they’ll once again be surprised when it actually happens. But it will. It could take longer than we’d like, because it is a very substantial challenge to our present-day technology, and there are still some significant challenges to work out theoretically. But I have faith in human ingenuity, because to date, human ingenuity has prevailed in these kinds of situations again and again and again, without exception. Or the theory that made the prediction gets overturned, which just doesn’t seem likely – GR has passed every test with flying colors (to the tune of observational precision levels from one part in a few thousand, to one part in >10^20).

Agree completely with everything you've said, it's threads like this that really make you think and put the Paracast forum in a league of its own. It's a pity Usual Suspect isn't around at the moment he'd love this debate.
I agree. I sometimes despair over the debate tactics deployed at The Paracast forums, when the most cynical voices among us drown out the otherwise vibrant dialogue that we enjoy here. But bracing and sincere conversations like this one remind me of why I got so engaged here in the first place.

So in closing, I’d like to “call out” a kind of deeply dishonest rhetorical attack that we sometimes see around here, so we can all be aware of it and hopefully see less of it in the future.

I first noticed it when Paul Kimball kept using the phrase “space aliens,” even after I pointed out that this kind of language represents an intellectually bankrupt and grossly dishonest debate tactic. There’s absolutely no rational basis to object to the possibility, and in fact the now extremely high probably, of other technological species in this universe – so this tactic is deployed to make the idea sound stupid. In practice, this falls into the same category of banal and ugly abuse of rhetoric that people like white supremacists use when they call black people “jungle monkeys” – failing to find any empirical or rational argument to defend their failed ideology, racists resort to this kind of rhetoric to dehumanize the targets of their outrage. There is no place in civil discussion for this kind of vapid and hateful, purely rhetorical kind of attack. At a minimum, its use signals that the person exploiting this kind of language can’t defend their position rationally, but refuses to acknowledge that fact.

Another disingenuous rhetorical device that comes up on The Paracast show and these forums, is the phrase “nuts and bolts craft,” which is clearly used to ridicule the idea of physical craft arriving here from elsewhere. It sounds so 19th Century, doesn’t it? As if we’re talking about flying lawnmowers or something. But a predominant and widespread feature of ufo descriptions from eyewitnesses when they get close enough to look for such things, is the absence of ordinary mechanical features like rivets, and seams, and so forth – aka “nuts and bolts.” To the contrary, we typically hear reports describing the unusually smooth, seamless, curving forms of these devices, which look strikingly advanced by our standards. In fact just this week we heard briefly about Jan Harzan’s fascinating personal account, and as he described precisely this kind of smooth seamless engineering, the fact that he saw what looked like a bolt in the landing gear, where a swivel would be an ideal place for a bolt no matter how advanced a craft may be, stood out to me as perhaps the only case I can recall where such a mundane feature was mentioned.

Usually in these rare reports where the witnesses can see these devices in close proximity, they tend to describe them as flawless surfaces that appear to have been either machined from a single solid block, or formed in a liquid state, because the absence of mechanical features is so striking. Therefore, I’m calling BS on this dishonest little phrase “nuts and bolts craft.”

We’ve also seen a similarly dishonest and empty straw man fallacy deployed against ETH advocates: accusations of a “religious” adherence to the ETH, with lots of talk of “belief” and “believers,” or ugly rhetorical mash-ups like “people who believe in space aliens” - another Kimball favorite.

I can’t speak for others, but there is no room in my cognitive process for the notion of “belief.” As I see it, “belief” is a lie: in reality there are only two categories – the things we know and the things we don’t know. And it’s perfectly reasonable to speculate on the basis of what we do know – in that case, it’s simply logical extrapolation: the fundamental force behind scientific advancement, “if this is true, then this should also be true – let’s find out.” But “belief” is ignorance masquerading as knowledge – people say “I believe xyz” when they don’t know, but wish to pretend that they know. And I find that loathsome because it fosters irrational conflicts of all kinds, and it places the personal ego above one’s own intellectual capacity. So I can’t even remember the last time I said “I believe” – and if I’ve ever used those words together like that, it’s been decades since, and I have no intention of ever doing it again.

To me, the ETH is a compelling and perfectly rational/defensible concept – a viable hypothesis, if not an actual theory: “belief” has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Extremophiles are fascinating critters, but I just want to make sure that nobody jumps to the wrong conclusion about them, because that’s easy to do. What they show us, is the marvelous adaptive power of life once it has a foothold in a favorable environment – i.e., after a thriving biosphere has arisen, it’s very difficult to sterilize a planet via natural catastrophe and whatnot. What extremophiles don’t show us, is that life can arise in harsh conditions: if that were true, then we’d see a vibrant ecosystem on Mars, or Venus. I wanted to point that out on behalf of the casual reader, because it’s a common misunderstanding.

I’m not comfortable with the phrase “universal imperative,” because it feels reminiscent of the “intelligent design” argument. But we certainly now have firm empirical grounds to conclude that the prevalence of organic chemicals and favorable planetary conditions throughout the universe provide ideal conditions for the emergence of life. And if life gets started on only 1 in 10 well-situated Earth-like planets, which seems like a reasonable ballpark estimate given what we now know, then there are at least 2-4 billion independent biospheres in our galaxy alone. If intelligent life arises within only 1 in a 1,000,000 such biospheres (which I feel is an unjustifiably low estimate), then at least 2-5000 intelligent sentient species have arisen within our galaxy.

I’d like to make another important point here, which most people overlook because it’s easy to miss unless you’re an incurable physics junkie like myself. The metric propulsion concept that we’ve seen with Alcubierre’s work (and which we’ll see more about in the years ahead) is a radical game changer regarding the significance of cosmic-scale distances. There is no known theoretical upper limit for the speed that one could attain via such a system. Last week I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation to arrive at an order of magnitude estimate for the metric expansion of spacetime during cosmic inflation – which might suffice as a substitute for an upper velocity limit, in lieu of a theoretical argument. It came out to roughly 10,000 billion billion times the speed of light, or in long form, 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times the speed of light. To put that in perspective, at that speed it would take .000145 second to reach the edge of the observable universe (a distance of roughly 46 billion light-years).

But beyond that, a metric propulsion system obviates the significance of the cosmological horizon, because it uses the same underlying mechanism as the Hubble expansion. In practice, this means that a metric-propulsion device could not only leap the vast distances between stars and galaxies – but it could reach far beyond the observable universe, which we now know is only an infinitesimal fraction of the known universe (by our best current estimates, the universe appears to be infinite, or in astronomical parlance, “flat”).

So if one is predisposed to thinking of the observable universe as “our” universe, then one could confidently say that extraterrestrial species with metric spaceflight capabilities could arrive here from “beyond our universe.” Because the “cosmic event horizon” (and also the event horizons of black holes) are readily traversable using a metric propulsion system, once one can produce an adequate magnitude of spacetime deformations. Such are the mind-boggling spaceflight capabilities, once a civilization transcends engineering within the context of special relativity, and begins engineering with general relativity instead.

Welcome to “the deep end” Chris – and thank you for the kind words and thoughtful contribution. I think you’re right: I feel like Robert and I are talking past each other, and it must be due to some underlying philosophical disparity that I don’t understand, because clearly the facts are on my side (haha…just kidding around).

I feel like I should point this out though, to avert any personal misunderstanding: I’m a strong adherent to the adversarial debate method. I think that we all have an obligatory responsibility to the significant effort we’ve put in to parse the data and arrive at our viewpoints, to represent them and to defend them vigorously – like a lawyer defends a client. So if I get strident, that’s why. It’s not a personal attack; it’s just me playing the game of Meme Wars, because I see the realm of ideas as a kind of ecosystem – and the best idea should always win, because that’s how human civilization slowly but surely advances.

That’s a good “toy model” argument, but in fairness, it is a little cavalier about the fundamental leap that we’re discussing: in the spacefaring scenario, building a bigger/better “boat” isn’t going to get the job done. Practical manned interstellar travel calls for an entirely new technology, which we don’t have yet. So I can understand why people get stuck on this part – it is a sticky issue.

But this is where a strong science background comes in handy. Historically, and fairly routinely, the most exotic, subtle, and perplexing theoretical predictions of our most reliable physical theories (both quantum field theory and general relativity) – which at first seemed far beyond the grasp of any foreseeable human technology…suddenly appear in the headlines not long after they’re first discussed in the theoretical literature. It takes a fairly long-term and intimate familiarity with these kinds of experimental breakthroughs to really appreciate the tangible inevitability of that transition from theory to experimental confirmation - and it doesn’t help matters one bit, that the least proficient members of the scientific establishment are always the most vocal critics of such efforts…until they actually happen in the lab. So the general public is almost always surprised when they do.

And this is the same pattern that we’re seeing play out again right now, with respect to the theoretical prospect of a gravitational field propulsion mechanism. Our best theory says that it’s attainable, but there are still hurdles which appear to be insurmountable to the average Joe. So the general public remains unconvinced regarding its inevitability, and they’ll once again be surprised when it actually happens. But it will. It could take longer than we’d like, because it is a very substantial challenge to our present-day technology, and there are still some significant challenges to work out theoretically. But I have faith in human ingenuity, because to date, human ingenuity has prevailed in these kinds of situations again and again and again, without exception. Or the theory that made the prediction gets overturned, which just doesn’t seem unlikely – GR has passed every test with flying colors (to the tune observational precision levels from one part in a few thousand, to one part in >10^20 parts).

I agree. I sometimes despair over the debate tactics deployed at The Paracast forums, when the most cynical voices among us drown out the otherwise vibrant dialogue that we enjoy here. But bracing and sincere conversations like this one remind me of why I got so engaged here in the first place.

So in closing, I’d like to “call out” a kind of deeply dishonest rhetorical attack that we sometimes see around here, so we can all be aware of it and hopefully see less of it in the future.

I first noticed it when Paul Kimball kept using the phrase “space aliens,” even after I pointed out that this kind of language represents an intellectually bankrupt and grossly dishonest debate tactic. There’s absolutely no rational basis to object to the possibility, and in fact the now extremely high probably, of other technological species in this universe – so this tactic is deployed to make the idea sound stupid. In practice, this falls into the same category of banal and ugly abuse of rhetoric that people like white supremacists use when they call black people “jungle monkeys” – failing to find any empirical or rational argument to defend their failed ideology, racists resort to this kind of rhetoric to dehumanize the targets of their outrage. There is no place in civil discussion for this kind of vapid and hateful, purely rhetorical kind of attack. At a minimum, its use signals that the person exploiting this kind of language, can’t defend their position rationally, but refuses to acknowledge that fact.

Another disingenuous rhetorical device that comes up on The Paracast show and these forums, is the phrase “nuts and bolts craft,” which is clearly used to ridicule the idea of physical craft arriving here from elsewhere. It sounds so 19th Century, doesn’t it? As if we’re talking about flying lawnmowers or something. But a predominant and widespread feature of ufo descriptions from eyewitnesses when they get close enough to look for such things, is the absence of ordinary mechanical features like rivets, and seams, and so forth – aka “nuts and bolts.” To the contrary, we typically hear reports describing the unusually smooth, seamless, curving forms of these devices, which look strikingly advanced by our standards. In fact just this week we heard briefly about Jan Harzan’s fascinating personal account, and as he described precisely this kind of smooth seamless engineering, the fact that he saw what looked like a bolt in the landing gear, where a swivel would be an ideal place for a bolt no matter how advanced a craft may be, stood out to me as perhaps the only case I can recall where such a mundane feature was mentioned.

Usually in these rare reports where the witness can see these devices in close proximity, they tend to describe them as flawless surfaces that appear to have been either machined from a single solid block, or formed in a liquid state, because the absence of mechanical features is so striking. Therefore, I’m calling BS on this dishonest little phrase “nuts and bolts craft.”

We’ve also seen a similarly dishonest and empty straw man fallacy deployed against ETH advocates: accusations of a “religious” adherence to the ETH, with lots of talk of “belief” and “believers,” or ugly rhetorical mash-ups like “people who believe in space aliens” - another Kimball favorite.

I can’t speak for others, but there is no room in my cognitive process for the notion of “belief.” As I see it, “belief” is a lie: in reality there are only two categories – the things we know and the things we don’t know. And it’s perfectly reasonable to speculate on the basis of what we do know – in that case, it’s simply logical extrapolation: the fundamental force behind scientific advancement, “if this is true, then this should also be true – let’s find out.” But “belief” is ignorance masquerading as knowledge – people say “I believe xyz” when don’t know, but wish to pretend that they know. And I find that loathsome because it fosters irrational conflicts of all kinds, and it places the personal ego above one’s own intellectual capacity. So I can’t even remember the last time I said “I believe” – and if I’ve ever used those words together like that, it’s been decades since, and I have no intention of ever doing it again.

To me, the ETH is a compelling and perfectly rational/defensible concept – a viable hypothesis, if not an actual theory: “belief” has nothing to do with it.
Bravo! I can’t improve on that!

I think far more simply about this.

The ETH for me is the most parsimonious hypothesis that both fits the empirical accounts and yet requires the smallest number of extensions to what we know.

We know we exist on a watery planet orbiting an ordinary star. We know we would be able to visit another star by proxy now if we wanted to (via robotic probes). We know other planets exist orbiting other ordinary stars.

The only 'multiplication of unknown entities' (Ockham's razor) is the supposition that other intelligent entities exist orbiting another star within reach.

That's it. One supposition and the ETH is very possible. Just one.

With things like 'Cryptoterrestrials' you have many. To name some: another civilization evolved on earth (1), it remained undetected throughout all of history (2), their manufacturing, launch, and populations don't exist on or within the earth in any way that we understand (3).

With the 'Dimensional' hypothesis, you have the exact same assumption you make with the ETH, only you add at least the following: that other dimensions exist as planes of real existence and aren't mathematical abstractions (1), that entities can evolve there (2), that you can get here from there (3), and that the physical laws in these dimensions are similar enough that they can exist here (4).

I could go on. I'm not saying that the ETH is ipso facto 'the truth,' or that the other theories are impossible, it's just that in my view they are more irrational hypotheses than the ETH.

I know others including Chris, Vallee, etc may feel strongly that the ETH is too simplistic - and frankly my own experiences seem to be more complicated than 'alien scientists coming here' - but it remains the most parsimonious hypothesis.

Last edited:

The ETH for me is the most parsimonious hypothesis that both fits the empirical accounts and yet requires the smallest number of extensions to what we know.

We know we exist on a watery planet orbiting an ordinary star. We know we would be able to visit another star by proxy now if we wanted to (via robotic probes). We know other planets exist orbiting other ordinary stars.

The only 'multiplication of unknown entities' (Ockham's razor) is the supposition that other intelligent entities exist orbiting another star within reach.

With things like 'Cryptoterrestrials' you have many. To name some: another civilization evolved on earth (1), it remained undetected throughout all of history (2), their manufacturing, launch, and populations don't exist on or within the earth in any way that we understand (3).

With the 'Dimensional' hypothesis, you have the exact same assumption you make with the ETH, only you add at least the following: that other dimensions exist as planes of real existence and aren't mathematical abstractions (1), that entities can evolve there (2), that you can get here from there (3), and that the physical laws in these dimensions are similar enough that they can exist here (4).

I could go on. I'm not saying that the ETH is ipso facto 'the truth,' or that the other theories are impossible, it's just that in my view they are more irrational hypotheses than the ETH.

I know others including Chris, Vallee, etc may feel strongly that the ETH is too simplistic - and frankly my own experiences seem to be more complicated than 'alien scientists coming here' - but it remains the most parsimonious hypothesis.
That's probably the single most compelling and concisely formulaic presentation of the logic behind this debate that I've ever seen. Excellent work.

If you have a link to a description of your experiences I think we'd all like to read it. Usual Suspect provides a list of his experiences on his website which were fascinating to read; I hope he returns to join us again soon. Perhaps we could all post our personal accounts on our profiles here for easy reference. I just posted my multiple-witness sighting account in the "About Me" section of my profile, and I invite everyone here to do the same so we can all learn about and compare our experiences.

Last edited:
That is what shouldn't be assumed. The experience of our solar system supports the conclusion that earthlike conditions are essential for habitability, so similar evolutionary outcomes appear likely. Look at the vast technological gap between us and the ancient Greeks. Both civilizations could've understood each other, basically; both had alliances, diplomacy, government, war, theater....

I don't think so. We're all aware of HS but I think it has a rational motive and objective, as I suggested earlier.

You don't have to be warlike to take over. Jacobs has suggested a different approach is underway. Covert operations invite suspicion.

I didn't mean just Roswell but Kecksburg and perhaps a few others. It's naive to assume such secrets couldn't be kept from us, in the sense there's no formal, public acknowledgment. But we do all know (a little) about it, or else we wouldn't be discussing it.
Ok, I'll try to be relaxed about my response but there is no way you can possibly make any anthropocentric conclusions or comparisons between what happened here on Earth to any other organized culture from another planet. That's just nonsensical. Alien means alien and there are no assumptions around organization, language or intention. You do so from the vantage point of being a human being. And even what that means is something we're not to clear on given the devestation we've wreaked on this planet with our tech. How can we even begin to make assumptions about motive, purpose or intention. Almost all we claim through witness reports of supposed aliens on earth are obviously projections of what we think aliens woukd get up to. We don't even know for a fact it's aliens visiting us. It's still a thesis. Nothing more.

There is nothing rational about high strangeness - it is irrational by definition and speaks purely to the witness experience.

Jacobs is categorically ridiculous and has nothing to offer except lessons around how not to exploit witnesses.

Again, the scale of what a crashed alien craft would in fact be the single biggest event in human history on this planet. It can't be hidden. It tells us that it hasn't happened yet. There's no way you could keep the lid on such an event.

You're talking apples oranges. I find your leaps in logic to be strange. Thanks for the math lesson but it's not really applicable. Of course we can apply probability to known events that we can measure with our science. We have yet to mesure anything certain about ufos or who or what pilots them. So you're probablities are based on a lack of knowledge and facts. While we can create equations regarding the probability of life in the universe based on what we've measured so far. But we can't see them, don't know where they are, how they live or what they like to put in their raktajino. Sure we can believe they are out there but we really don't know they're here. So talk shout clouds all you like because that's a senisble thing to do but how can we talk about something we know absolutely zilch about. We can imagine a lot, and imagine new theories. But honestly what has the ETH actually taught us about the nature of the twofold aspects of ufo events?

Yes, imagine a post-biological society whose technology is virtually invisible to us, who may in their community collective of nano clouds float about in the stratus and make manifest strange images at odd times to this limited sensory biological organism. They may look at us as meager oafs of a mammal rubbing our sticks together to make fire and get burned in the process. Of what interest are we to such a species? They are beyond our experiences of sentience.

Of more interest to me is not guessing at what they might be interested in, and certainly not to have any confidence in what's most likely, let alone confidence in knowing we are being visited by an alien species, but in looking at what can be gained from our personal experience of the phenomenon.

Imho the true area of investigation to be made is not what could be going on out there, but what is happening to us right here on earth, the ones who witness these events. "You can't really study Ufology with Ufology" is a great way of understanding the limits of what we've accomplished so far. So I don't abandon the ETH but it has proved insufficient and is entirely ideological until we can aquire necessary facts to allow us to make better predictions about it. But in the meantime this incredible thing is happening to us humans amd we should really pay more attention to the ones who are having these experiences and not pretend to study something so elusive we can not even begin to replicate, measure or comprehend in any true way.

Absolutely and indisputably. In fact, I have yet to hear a single scientifically and logically defensible argument against it. So it would be crazy to dismiss it as a valid working hypothesis. Doubly so, if the next leading explanatory contender is "the invisible and persistently evidence-defying co-inhabitant of the Earth hypothesis," which fails to address even the simplest criticisms, such as: "if a more advanced intelligence is sharing this planet with us, then where do they dwell and how can we not have detected any physical trace of them after all this time?" Or better yet "why is the idea of an invisible mind-controlling species on the Earth, considered to be more likely than a visible and apparently fallible extraterrestrial species sending probes/craft our way from time to time?"
Again, we can imagine better. What is the optimum goal of our tools but to free us of waste and our mortality. What detectable technology would a truly advanced species have on display? Are you thinking camouflaged mining operations? My goodness, an advanced species is not going to have evidence of technology as there could be no waste, no factories, and as Mike often likes to promote, no biology. And so a post biological intelligence needs no ships to sustain their non-existant bodies. They are the ship.

So what are all these bizarre humaoids that people keep seeing: the robots with noxious gas being emitted out of their mouths or those giant catfish with legs, the Pascagoula surreal creature, giant eyeballs, beer can shaped little bots on tripods, the giant crystal encrusted giants with heat emanating from their bodies, average looking humans climbing out of giant tanks to say hello and call us by name, or those honeycombed spider web like ships, and the green mini skin divers of Emilcin eating brittle icicle like food with their ravens floating in suspended animation on the walls.....I could go on and on.... It's not as simple as nuts and bolts ships flying from star to star to dig up some more bleepin soil samples and grope our genitals. It's much more bizarre than that, and the ETH just don't cut it.

BTW it's often the proponents of the ETH who believe their tech can manipulate our cameras, speak inside our heads, make us believe things about them.....it's a snake chasing its tail. What are the assumed limits of their magic technology? Are we also going to pose limits on their tech, or because we know x amount about space travel we're going to confidently say that they're simply at x+z and, therefore, we can easily comprehend an alien mind?

A good assessment of the positions and agreed on most of your points....but yeah, I'm a Zetetic through and through and don't think we can make any assumptions. Don't undercut your capacities. That was a very succinct synopsis and helps to frame the gaps between Thomas and I. We have ideological differences. Please continue the running commentary as maybe it helps to pull things in a new direction.

Ok I get that perspective and why it's a logical human thing to say. However I think we can expand our notions of what's going on by not limiting it to these simple definitions of distinct hypotheses. Advanced life forms didn't have to evolve here to be here. Advanced life forms don't have to intersect with our senses all the time. By way of analogy consider the many life forms that are outside of us and us as intelligent purveyor of all we see don't bother to interact with them except when we squash them. Now imagine other lifeforms for whom we can not see nor interact with. It's not another dimension. It's just beyond our capacities. And their reality is beyond our own symbolic version of reality that we use to explain existence.

The best we came up with before was elves and faeries and now it's aliens from space. What it is we know not and probably never will as it's beyond us but we do like to project our narrative conceptions upon the paranormal experiences people have had. Parsimonious, yes, but it's all a matter of perspective. Even your own suggests otherwise.

This phenomenon is not rooted in the narrative we keep pushing onto it. That stripped down tale of aliens in flying saucers is a B-movie from the 50's and it's far stranger than that. To acknowledge the full spectrum of human experience of ufos is to enter uncharted waters....it is Ultima Thule and it's very strange.

I use nuts and bolts btw, not to be dismissive but to acknowledge that commonplace ETH slang that promotes the notion that alien lifeform are in technological modes of transport visiting us. Whether made of glass or spiderweb it's still a ship.

For me that narrative is what we project onto what we think is possible. It doesn't have to be interdimensional....it just may always be there, just beyond our senses which were designed only for our own survival and thriving, not to intersect with life forms who may not need, consume or create with materials the way we do. If ya wanna call that interdimensional you can but it just may be beyond our frequencies of perception except in certain situations. ETH has fewer steps to the answer but the phenomenon is surreal and seems to me to require so many more steps.

If ET reality is true and the number of visits that have taken place are to be believed then surely by now we would have witnessed countless technological craft flying in outer space by now or at least pausing in our solar system but where are they? No where to be seen. They're not in outer space. They are in our space.

Last edited:
Btw Thomas I truly mean no insult to you or your person but I will attack ideas. Our ideas do not define our person. Our personhood is the totality of our real life interactions with the people in our lives that are important to us. What we do here is just banter, good discussion and throwing around ideas. I know I can be sardonic but I'm just here for the debate. It's not personal and no one should take it as a personal rhetorical attack. Different beliefs will produce different perspectives. You believe in physics as humans have discovered it so far and I believe in the limitations of human senses and what else may be possible in lieu of a distinct lack of confirmation for myself that the alien narrative exists. It appears that way but I wonder how much of that belongs to our own projections vs. what else may be happening. And I like to imagine...

Back