• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Extraterrestrial Hypothesis : Fact and Fallacy

It is annoying that we haven’t seen any good video from surveillance cams or dash cams, but I think you’re highly overestimating several key factors; A.) the resolution of dash cams and security cams, B.) the focal length of such cameras, C.) the sensitivity of such cameras, D.) the prevalence of dash cams, E.) the breadth of field of both types of cameras, and F.) the prevalence of anomalous aerial devices executing exotic maneuvers in our skies.

That dash cam did a pretty terrible job of capturing that meteor, actually – that meteor was incredibly bright and came down directly ahead of the car, and yet it only shows up as a fuzzy blob of light in the footage. And its coverage is only a tiny slice of the celestial hemisphere, not “the entire sky” - not even close. If a glowing ufo had passed directly in front of that car, all you would see is a little blob of light that people would look at and say “what’s the big deal, that’s just a blob of light.” Without a high-resolution camera with crystal clear telephoto focus on the object (which is virtually impossible without first-rate equipment and an experienced aerial photographer) it would be impossible to tell how far away the light is or how large it is. The only thing that would make such footage interesting is if a glowing proximal ufo zig-zagged directly in front of the car, but they don’t seem to do that very often – it’s hard to tell without a single centralized database to analyze, but these devices may only be seen executing such dramatic maneuvers once every few years, and if that’s true then the odds of catching that behavior on video would be lower than catching video of ball lighting – which we know is real, and yet nobody has ever caught on video. In fact I’ve only seen one good photo of ball lighting, and that photo tipped the scientific consensus in favor of the existence of ball lighting. And how did that happen? The ball lighting was right over the guy’s garage and he managed to snap a pic of it before it dissipated. We’ve had reports of ball lightning for hundreds of years, they tend to hug the ground, and they move very very slowly, and yet we only have one good photo of it. Think about that.
Right. But considering the amount of reports MUFON get's per month and all the abduction stories, stories from pilots, people at O'Hare, all these "mile wide" flying saucer reports (and I'm just talking about the U.S. factor in the rest of the planet & the number rises ridiculously) - and there's NOT ONE video? Forget structured detail like Silly Meier's photo's. I give up on that and accept the fact that I'll never see that in my lifetime - but give me a ball of light that is in motion (like the metorite) but then suddenly stops on a dime. Or makes a right angle turn on a dime. We should have multiple videos like this considering the rate at which they are reported. Now when an actual, real event happens - like the Phoenix Flares - now all of a sudden there's tons of video's from multiple angles. So where are all the video's of these other objects? I still believe - but as time elapses - it's easier to become more skeptical.

Notice how none of the "classic type" cases happen anymore - now that there are cameras everywhere? No more school landings, no more "house-like" giant UFO's hovering over multiple townships in southern Illinois, etc. A meteorite came down a few months ago and my local news showed 4 different angles because 4 different homeowners homes caught the event on their cameras. Then once the bubble is popped regarding past cases, you can see how one can become more pessimistic;

Almost every case that is famous and I thought was real - has been exposed as a fake. Then there's a few that I knew weren't real but that lots of people had accepted. Rex Heflin UFO pics - fake. Paul Trent UFO pics - fake. Trindade Island UFO pics - fake. Ed Walters/Gulf Breeze UFO pics - fake. Billy Meier UFO pics & video (fake - but the best of the fakes), Guardian UFO video - fake, Urzi UFO case - fake, Belgium Triangle UFO pic - fake, George Adamski UFO pics & video - fake. I also believe Betty & Barney Hill and Travis Walton are bogus as well.

Go look at YouTube. Sure, 99% or more are fakes but I’m sure some probably aren’t.

Go look at the 2004 US Navy footage.

There’s lots of stuff captured. Everybody just yawns and moves on because who knows what the hell it’s showing us?

It’s showing us nothing because it’s not a controlled setup like Chris is building or Stanford did with Starlight international.
I get it. But it's hard to fathom that if you name something (like an event or scenario of some sort), almost anything, you can find it on the internet/YouTube. Like if someone told you "Hey, next time it rains I want you to film someone from 10 feet away getting struck directly by lightning." - you would be like "Yeah, right. What are the odds of me being able to be a few feet away, with my phone camera on, in the daytime, as a bolt of lighting directly strikes someone else?" But yet, there are video's on YouTube - that show exactly that thing, crystal clear. Why? Because just about EVERYONE has a camera or iPhone and we have bajillions of people on Earth. I'm just pointing out how there seems like there's been an epidemic of flying saucers dating back to the foo fighters of WWII right up until now in 2017 - and the only videos we seem to get are known frauds/fakes or video's that at one time fooled people, like Adamski, Meier, Walters, etc.

The figures are disproportionate as far as how many official (& non) UFO reports get made on a monthly, yearly basis WORLD WIDE to the amount of legit video's and/or photo's we get.

I will say that I did get somewhat of a rush once I saw that cockpit footage released from 2005. This seems to be a genuine flying object they are locked onto. Other video's in the past that show an object have been determined to be an object on the surface of the water - or a balloon (like in PR) that gives the appearance that it's hauling ass but is really just an optical illusion.

I get it. But it's hard to fathom that if you name something (like an event or scenario of some sort), almost anything, you can find it on the internet/YouTube. Like if someone told you "Hey, next time it rains I want you to film someone from 10 feet away getting struck directly by lightning." - you would be like "Yeah, right. What are the odds of me being able to be a few feet away, with my phone camera on, in the daytime, as a bolt of lighting directly strikes someone else?" But yet, there are video's on YouTube - that show exactly that thing, crystal clear. Why? Because just about EVERYONE has a camera or iPhone and we have bajillions of people on Earth. I'm just pointing out how there seems like there's been an epidemic of flying saucers dating back to the foo fighters of WWII right up until now in 2017 - and the only videos we seem to get are known frauds/fakes or video's that at one time fooled people, like Adamski, Meier, Walters, etc.

The figures are disproportionate as far as how many official (& non) UFO reports get made on a monthly, yearly basis WORLD WIDE to the amount of legit video's and/or photo's we get.

I will say that I did get somewhat of a rush once I saw that cockpit footage released from 2005. This seems to be a genuine flying object they are locked onto. Other video's in the past that show an object have been determined to be an object on the surface of the water - or a balloon (like in PR) that gives the appearance that it's hauling ass but is really just an optical illusion.

I dunno, man. I mean, crap gets shot all the time. How are you going to know what's real or not given all the BS that's out there? That's my point.

Besides, the last time I saw something I didn't even think to grab my cell phone. Didn't even occur to me at the time. And if I did, it would have shown another weird thing off in the sky... and 99% of people would cry hoax or shrug their shoulders.

And you'd still be saying "where are the good photos?"

Besides, the last time I saw something I didn't even think to grab my cell phone. Didn't even occur to me at the time. And if I did, it would have shown another weird thing off in the sky... and 99% of people would cry hoax or shrug their shoulders.

And you'd still be saying "where are the good photos?"

You just can't win. If a photo isn't clear or doesn't show something extraordinary, it's not worth showing. If it does, it's automatically labelled a hoax. CGL was adament that the McMinnville object was a truck light even though he couldn't find a pic of one that really matched the object in the photos.

Last edited:
Except that it's not obvious that there's been nothing to capture. So can you think of anything else?
I don't know. It's almost the same logic as when discussing Bigfoot. As a kid & young person - I thought for sure they were real. But Jesus, 40 years later and STILL - not one dead or living body? No skeletons? And it's not like they have the entire universe to hide in like aliens - how about say Washington state or Oregon? You would think by now someone would have at least stumbled upon a corpse or skeleton - but yet, all as we have is the same thing as UFO's - crappy videos, anecdotal evidence, noises generating from the blackness of the woods, etc. So one starts to think, "maybe all these years later there is no Bigfoot corpse, skeleton or living body because they don't exist?"

I know I'm switching gears here going from UFO's to Bigfoot but Bigfoot is 1000x worse in my opinion. Given the vastness of the universe - it's mind boggling to think of how many planets have probably life on them and that some of these civilizations may be millions of years older than us. And they could be anywhere in the universe. Compare that to Bigfoot - I mean we can't even pinpoint one of these things within the boundaries of Washington? I almost feel that (if real), if we can't even find a creature within the boundaries of one U.S. state - then what in the heck are the odds of finding intelligent civilization in the universe?

Yet, I hold out hope & believe that one day it'll be a known fact that intelligent life exists out there - somewhere.

You just can't win. If a photo isn't clear or doesn't show something extraordinary, it's not worth showing. If it does, it's automatically labelled a hoax. CGL was adament that the McMinnville object was a truck light even though he couldn't find a pic of one that really matched the object in the photos.
Sorry I don't have a catalog from every truck mirror from every manufacturer that ever existed in North America. I'm sure you think Heflin's model train wheel is not a train wheel, because the side by side example shows that the known train wheel is 1/1000th of a millimeter shorter than Heflin's pic. Because it's not a 100% match - then Heflin's flying saucer must be legit LOL.

Ya. Next time you see a plane fly overhead, whip out your iPhone and take a picture.

You'll see a small line or smudge in the sky maybe.

I don't buy this whole 'everybody's got a good camera on them all the time so where's the good photos' logic at all. Phone cameras have a focal length that's optimized for taking quick snaps of people 5-20 feet away. Even 40 feet away and you lose detail. 100-200 feet + away... you're getting not much unless the thing is huge.

I don't know. It's almost the same logic as when discussing Bigfoot. As a kid & young person - I thought for sure they were real. But Jesus, 40 years later and STILL - not one dead or living body? No skeletons? And it's not like they have the entire universe to hide in like aliens - how about say Washington state or Oregon? You would think by now someone would have at least stumbled upon a corpse or skeleton - but yet, all as we have is the same thing as UFO's - crappy videos, anecdotal evidence, noises generating from the blackness of the woods, etc. So one starts to think, "maybe all these years later there is no Bigfoot corpse, skeleton or living body because they don't exist?"

I know I'm switching gears here going from UFO's to Bigfoot but Bigfoot is 1000x worse in my opinion. Given the vastness of the universe - it's mind boggling to think of how many planets have probably life on them and that some of these civilizations may be millions of years older than us. And they could be anywhere in the universe. Compare that to Bigfoot - I mean we can't even pinpoint one of these things within the boundaries of Washington? I almost feel that (if real), if we can't even find a creature within the boundaries of one U.S. state - then what in the heck are the odds of finding intelligent civilization in the universe?

Yet, I hold out hope & believe that one day it'll be a known fact that intelligent life exists out there - somewhere.

I basically spent my childhood in the woods. Never found a bear carcass once. Found lots of living bears, though.

Never got a photo of one of those, either.

Sorry I don't have a catalog from every truck mirror from every manufacturer that ever existed in North America. I'm sure you think Heflin's model train wheel is not a train wheel, because the side by side example shows that the known train wheel is 1/1000th of a millimeter shorter than Heflin's pic. Because it's not a 100% match - then Heflin's flying saucer must be legit LOL.

Your logic is sound in that not finding a match doesn't mean that it's an alien object.

However I believe the point was that hand waiving eyewitness accounts away isn't rational, either.

Sorry I don't have a catalog from every truck mirror from every manufacturer that ever existed in North America.

OK but unless you know of a real match, you are not entitled to state categorically the McMinnville object is a truck mirror.
Btw even if you don't know of every kind of truck mirror that existed (but only down to 1950) had a real match existed, by now, after 67 years, SOMEBODY would've found it, and probably long ago.

I'm sure you think Heflin's model train wheel is not a train wheel, because the side by side example shows that the known train wheel is 1/1000th of a millimeter shorter than Heflin's pic. Because it's not a 100% match - then Heflin's flying saucer must be legit LOL.

LOL indeed, you made that up. But as I've said before, if you look hard enough you could find some manufactured object, or combination of such objects, that approximates (not necessarily matches) any description or pic of a UFO. If even a rough resemblance is enough to prove a hoax, a satisfactory pic is virtually impossible, regardless of other factors.

Okay, that's completely reasonable. Neither of us knows for sure why the evidence is so hard to obtain. So we can either theorize or pay no attention to the phenomena. It seems we're not disregarding it here, so after disqualifying all the usual misperceptions, hoaxes, hallucinations, etc. and assuming the phenomena is objectively real, how about some reasonable speculation. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Okay, that's completely reasonable. Neither of us knows for sure why the evidence is so hard to obtain.

Well, for one thing, the government has confiscated and hidden the best evidence.

So we can either theorize or pay no attention to the phenomena. It seems we're not disregarding it here, so after disqualifying all the usual misperceptions, hoaxes, hallucinations, etc. and assuming the phenomena is objectively real, how about some reasonable speculation. Any ideas?

The phenomenon doesn't want us to be sure it's real. Maybe its means of gathering intelligence is so good it only appears where people have no camera immediately available, or doesn't get close if they do.

I basically spent my childhood in the woods. Never found a bear carcass once. Found lots of living bears, though.

Never got a photo of one of those, either.
Yes. And you are a sample market of one person. But there are 1000's and 1000's of other people that have seen bears, shot bears, captured bears, came across dead bears, came across skeletons etc. etc.

Once again...here's the latest dashcam footage. Notice again how you can see the entire sky - reiterating that the notion of "nobody's cameras are pointed up" is bogus. That would only make sense if everywhere you went there were 4 walls around you. Aim your camera at the horizon and you have a vast amount of sky within your viewfinder.

Here's the other thing too; granted this in a populated area but still.....when we hear reports of a mile wide flying saucer and its only reported by one person, just use the video I enclosed as an example - this is a tiny rocket seen by 1000's. Imagine if it were a mile wide....tons & tons of people would see it from all over. Hard to fathom something a mile wide flying in our airspace and it gets reported by one person. Only makes sense if the person is like in the middle of the AZ desert or something.

Last edited:
I don't know. It's almost the same logic as when discussing Bigfoot. As a kid & young person - I thought for sure they were real. But Jesus, 40 years later and STILL - not one dead or living body?

Its not impossible that they have a social connection with each other though, it may even be that they bury their dead.

I have a brother in law, sensible guy bit of a tough guy image, think an Australian Fonzi with a mustache. My wife remembers him returning home early from a weekend hunting trip visibly shaken and without his rifle tent or camping gear.
He claimed he saw a Yowie and was so scared he fled his camp jumped in the car and left all his gear behind, and never went back and retrieved it.
He only ever talked about that once and refuses to talk about even decades later.

The lack of a body doesn't negate all the eyewitness accounts imo.

The lack of a body doesn't negate all the eyewitness accounts imo.
Agreed. However, it makes one wonder how many Bigfoot eyewitness accounts are the equivalent of Tim Edwards UFO video account (when they were looking at a spider web attached to house but to them it looked like a cigar shaped UFO miles up in the sky ejecting mini UFO's out of it - & then other people claimed they saw the same thing). So I imagine a lot of the BF sightings are erroneous, misidentification etc.

Agreed. However, it makes one wonder how many Bigfoot eyewitness accounts are the equivalent of Tim Edwards UFO video account (when they were looking at a spider web attached to house but to them it looked like a cigar shaped UFO miles up in the sky ejecting mini UFO's out of it - & then other people claimed they saw the same thing). So I imagine a lot of the BF sightings are erroneous, misidentification etc.
Yes. We already know that. So still waiting on your thoughts as to why there's the problem. There's been a few reasonable answers in the past, so why the focus on it here again? Like are you struggling with some aspect of the reality of alien craft because of this issue, or suggesting that the problem itself might offer a clue as to the alien agenda? Why are we drilling into this?

Back