• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Backfire Effect

Angel of Ioren

Friendly Skeptic
This is a great article from one of my favourite blogs, You Are Not So Smart

It's a pretty long article but REALLY worth reading when you frequent a forum. It's the reason why you'll never convince someone of something no matter the evidence you present if they truly believe in something that is not actually true (think birthers).

I try to keep it in mind when I write on this form.

The Misconception: When your beliefs are challenged with facts, you alter your opinions and incorporate the new information into your thinking.
The Truth: When your deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, your beliefs get stronger.

Yeah, but what if you do the work, walk the walk w/ no lust for reward? The act of seeking doesn't necessarily mean there is a self-serving agenda behind the process.

The whole point is that it's invisible. Regardless of what you think, you will always lean towards what you believe.

Just look at any argument on this forum regarding global warming or 9/11 - no one will win those arguments because of the backfire effect. No one will ever win the argument regardless of who is actually right.

In fact, it's a possibility that it can happen with this very post. I just think it's important that we are all aware of the psychology behind it. I'm trying my best - I even bought his book last night.

Well, if I can't ever convince anyone of my way of thinking, I can live with that. Sure I will lean towards what I believe. But will I try to convince other people? Well, not if I notice first. Forum posts are for stating your opinion, not converting other people to it. IMO.

Everyone has his own virtual world in his mind, even people who think of themselves as pure rationalists and realists. Long as it's not about harming people, let them. And let me. But if someone says he has the objective and undisputable truth about something, well that makes me skeptic.

I know this happens cos I often have to stop myself from dismissing evidence 'I don't like'. I think we all do it and maybe indeed we are sometimes powerless to overcome it. The important thing then IMO is just to try to recognise it in yourself so you can at least hope to be persuaded by the truth when it presents itself in it's myriad ways.

Back